|Also called||Lost City, Fairy City, the Moon|
|Release date||27 February 2002 (Update)|
|No. of banks||1|
|No. of altars||0|
|No. of obelisks||1|
|Leader|| • Fairy Queen|
• Fairy Godfather
|Teleportation||• Fairy Rings|
|Inhabitants||Fairies, Tanglefeet, Gatekeepers, Orks (possibly), chickens, cows, sheep|
Zanaris is Gielinor's moon and, according to the Co-ordinator, is rumoured to be the nexus of all planes. It is inhabited by small winged creatures known as Fairies, and according to the Guthixian Memories, it was in Zanaris where Guthix saw Gielinor for the first time.
Access to Zanaris is granted after the Lost City quest has been completed. According to the Co-ordinator, Zanaris is 'an extremely old place, it was here long before we fairyfolk came to live here' with many dormant magical properties, such as those of 'the ability to jump between planes using a powerful portal' that had been sealed for centuries, but the Fairy Queen harnessed the magic and used it to create the network of fairy rings, though not as powerful as the portal would have been. It is only accessible by members.
Players can access Zanaris by wielding a Dramen staff or Lunar staff and entering the small hut in Lumbridge Swamps to the east of the Lumbridge Swamp Dungeon entrance. Access is also available by travelling to the Cosmic Altar via The Abyss. There is a one-way fairy ring to Al-Kharid bank from the market area. Also, if a player has finished part of the Fairy Tale II - Cure a Queen quest to a certain extent, they will be able to use the fairy rings as a travel method, provided that they wield a Dramen or Lunar staff. However, with the completion of Fairy Tale III - Orks Rift, this requirement is lifted. A Wicked hood imbued with a cosmic talisman or equivalent (excluding talisman staves) can also be used to gain access to Zanaris via teleporting to the Cosmic Altar.
The Lost City quest is a prerequisite to visiting Zanaris. Fairy Tale I - Growing Pains, Fairy Tale II - Cure a Queen and Fairy Tale III - Orks Rift naturally require visits to the land of the fairies.
Sometimes players will turn into chickens or pigs. A frog will appear and have a small conversation with the player, a Zanaris choir will appear and comment on whatever the player is doing (e.g. when the player is fighting, the Zanaris choir will ask why you resort to violence so often) or players will dance and they say, "All of a sudden I have an overwhelming urge to dance!" All of these four examples are involuntary and only occur in Zanaris.
North of the bank is a fairy healer, named Fairy Nuff (a pun on "Fair enough"). She will heal you if you give her gemstones. The rarer the stone the more she will heal you. She is barely ever used for healing, though, as it is cheaper and easier to just eat food, and easier still to simply walk into the nearby bank, which will automatically restore you to full health. Also, she will not heal you when she is in the Fairy Resistance Hideout or after Fairy tale III.
The main fairy ring is located south of the water fountains, and west of the farm field. Entering any other fairy ring in RuneScape brings a player here. Activating the ring while carrying a Dramen staff or lunar staff will open a combination window to enter a code to go to other fairy rings elsewhere in RuneScape.
The other two original fairy rings in Zanaris are exit rings only:
- There is a fairy ring in the market area that leads to just behind Al-Kharid bank;
- The northern fairy ring leads back to Lumbridge Swamps.
There is a bank in Zanaris, just north of the general store.
The market area lies to the east of Zanaris and costs 1 cut diamond to get in (unless players have completed Fairy Tale III after which it is free). Here Jukat sells dragon daggers for 30,000 coins, and dragon longswords for 100,000 coins, although buying them from the Grand Exchange is much cheaper.
Finally, the exit from the market is to the northeast of the market area; there is a fairy ring that leads to behind Al-Kharid's bank.
The Cosmic Altar lies to the south of Zanaris. There are two Agility shortcuts that allow faster access, one requiring 46 agility for the medium shortcut, and 66 agility for the advanced shortcut.
Near the wheat field inside the city are several talking cows that are reasonably close to the bank. These may be useful for Crafting. South-west of the field are three talking sheep. They can be sheared by right-clicking on them and selecting 'Shear Sheep', producing wool.
There is also a sandpit, which is used in glassblowing. If players have Seaweed, there is a Range to the south and a furnace to the north that may be useful for making molten glass at the same time as collecting sand.
There is a grain field and a nearby windmill, so flour is easy to make here. There are also several fountains for collection of water, though these are by no means the closest water sources to a bank in the game. There is also a cooking range to the south of the bank, near which a chocolate bar can be found.
Among the cows near the wheat field is a dairy cow, and in the mill there is a dairy churn. Combine that with the bucket spawn near the mill and the nearby bank, and all the requirements for making butter, cream and cheese are present.
Chaeldar is the fourth hardest Slayer master, and requires a minimum combat level of 75 to begin assigning tasks to players. She gives out a lot of metal dragons, but otherwise her tasks can be very rewarding.
Evil Chicken's LairEdit
By 'sacrificing' a raw chicken at the shrine of the Evil Chicken near the original entrance from Lumbridge Swamp's shed, players are transported to the Evil Chicken's Lair. The lair houses 4 black dragons and a baby black dragon, as well as the Evil Chicken itself.
Impetuous Impulses is a minigame in which players catch implings in the realm of Puro-Puro, which can be accessed via the crop circle in the centre of the wheat field. A Wandering impling flitters about nearby to provide a brief introduction to the minigame.
- There is a yew tree to the north-west of the wheat field.
- There is a furnace, but its distance from the bank makes it of little use for anything except possibly glass-making, making use of the nearby sandpit.
- Near the Cosmic altar in the Shady grove you can gain access to Tanglefoot creatures seen in the Fairy Tale Part I - Growing Pains quest, as well as Mutated zygomites.
- When you are in the fairy city, you will often notice strange things happening. Sometimes a frog or a small choir will come to annoy you, Storm Clouds can appear over your head or you will get a sudden urge to dance. You may also be turned into a chicken, pig, or rabbit for a second!
- Various monsters and NPCs may follow players to Zanaris when they are using the fairy rings.
- The bank at Zanaris is the closest bank to the Water Altar.
- Sparse Plane, doesn't count as part of the map of Zanaris, but is part of the planet. It can accessed with fairy rings.
- Fairy resistance HQ, while not part of the city is still a location of the fairy realm. Accessible by fairy rings.
- Fairy Queen - The benevolent ruler of Zanaris
- Fairy Godfather - An evil fairy wishing possession of the Fairy Realm
- Slim Louie - A henchman of the Fairy Godfather
- Fat Rocco - A henchman of the Fairy Godfather
- Fairy Nuff - A fairy nurse
- Co-Ordinator - Helps in sending the proper fairies on their way
- Fairy Fixit - The repairman and creator of the fairy rings
- Fairy chef - self-explanatory
- Gate Keeper - A tree-like figure that guards the gates to and from the marketplace
- Jukat - shopkeeper
- Irksol -shopkeeper
- Lunderwin -shopkeeper
- Chaeldar - Slayer master in Zanaris
- Blaec - Owner of a sandpit
- Zanaris choir - Appears and talks to you occasionally
- Zanaris Frog - Appears and say random things
- Wandering impling - Introduces players to the Impetuous Impulses minigame.
Zanaris has had three major graphical updates. The realm was first updated in 2006; before this, it was a simply a cave underground. It was then updated to have a bluish appearance. On 13 May 2010, Zanaris was upgraded to its current appearance.
The fairies were also graphically updated along with the Zanaris improvement on 13 May.
A short clip of Zanaris could be seen in the Mod Fetzki: iCould video at approximately 00:43 seconds in before May the thirteenth.
- None of the trees in Zanaris have been graphically updated.
- When talking to the cows, the dialogue box does not use the graphical update. The animations are still choppy and pixelated.
- If a player attempts to talk to one of the Zanaris frogs, they will get the text "Nothing interesting happens". This is probably an oversight on Jagex's behalf, as they probably used the code from the frog random event, where the frogs could be talked to. This frog simply does not have anything programmed for it to say, so it goes to the default error trap: "Nothing interesting happens".
- According to Sliske during Missing, Presumed Death, Zanaris will soon cause a total eclipse on Gielinor.
Zanaris random events galleryEdit
|Part 1 of the Fairy Tale quest series|
|Part 2 of the Fairy Tale quest series|
|Part 3 of the Fairy Tale quest series|
|Realms and worlds|