|Release||2 June 2014 (Update)|
|Voted the most worthy goblin champion. Somehow.|
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|516 / 344 / 172|
|4 ticks (2.4s)|
|? (edit)||? (edit)||? (edit)|
Yelps, real name Dimwit, is a cheerful and wealthy 35-year-old goblin businessman who ran the Squeal of Fortune, a special wheel that rewarded adventurers with prizes every day. He describes himself as the richest, smartest and smallest goblin to ever live, and appears to have an obsession with spinning wheels and being punched. Due to this, most of the other goblins dislike him, and Bandos himself apparently despised him.
After the Squeal of Fortune was removed from the game, players decided Yelps's future via the Power to the Players poll system, which included the options of allowing him to retire gracefully, being strapped to a circus target wheel, being killed, or never being seen again. Ultimately, players voted to have the option to kill Yelps, with 42% of the vote, and as such he features as one of the three bosses in The Mighty Fall, serving as the champion of the goblins in the tournament between the Bandosians. After completion of the quest, Yelps may be fought in the Dominion Tower as a X2 boss.
At some point during Dimwit's childhood, an accident occurred that resulted in him hitting his head, which resulted in him falling down a set of stairs and biting his tongue, causing him to scream in pain loudly, which earnt him the name Yelps. Tired of his screaming, the leaders of the village tied Yelps to a spinning wheel and played games with him, and from then on he became the butt of many jokes around the village.
The Squeal of FortuneEdit
Not much is known of Yelps after his childhood, but at some point he came into the possession of a large horde of treasure that formerly belonged to a princess known as Alice and took it for himself. In 169 of the Fifth Age, he used his new-found wealth to establish the Squeal of Fortune, a large wheel that could be spun for prizes from his stash of loot. Adventurers were able to gain tickets for the wheel through a variety of means, including completing quests, killing monsters, buying them, or completing challenges for the Burthorpe Imperial Guard, in addition to one or more free spins every day. Yelps would often run special promotions, offering certain prizes for a limited period only.
Soon after the end of the battle between Armadyl and Bandos a couple of months later, the Squeal of Fortune was shut down after it was discovered that Yelps did not actually own the treasure he was distributing and replaced with a similar game known as Treasure Hunter, hosted by the same Alice whose treasure had been stolen. Her own game functions in much the same way as the Squeal, but does not involve any punching or wheels, instead featuring treasure chests, much to Yelps's disdain.
The Kyzaj TournamentEdit
Left without a job, Yelps tried to reintegrate himself back into goblin society, but this did not go very well, particularly due to the other goblins' dislike of him.
Some time later, Yelps attended the Kyzaj Tournament, a competition held between the Bandosians on Yu'biusk to decide who would lead them in the wake of Bandos' death. The goblin high priest tasked him with guarding the goblin camp during the tournament, and Yelps believed that he would not be taking part in the actual tournament.
Despite this, the other goblins voted him as their champion, and he was forced to take part in the first round of the tournament. He fought against the World Guardian, who was acting as the champion of the Dorgeshuun in Zanik's place. Yelps was assisted by his bodyguards in the battle, and attacked using a special ability that involved spinning and teleporting around the arena.
Yelps was ultimately defeated, and he begged for the World Guardian to spare him. The latter then had a choice between killing or sparing him. If he was executed, he would scream and claim he would give the World Guardian spin tickets, while Generals Wartface and Bentnoze were extremely pleased that "dumb-dumb Yelps [was] gone". The victor was then able to loot his treasure chest.
If spared, he would be extremely grateful, and thanked the World Guardian with his remaining cash and an expired spin ticket. This ticket starts the Mod Deg trading sequence. He then cheered them on for the remainder of the tournament, and once the World Guardian proved victorious, he returned to Goblin Village, where he got a job as General Wartface and General Bentnoze's new assistant, replacing Grubfoot, who had left for Dorgesh-Kaan the year prior. Although he remarked that it was honest work, he admitted that he missed the game show scene, and expressed an interest in joining "a couple of fellows who do some sort of show in some sort of pit."
Yelps is fought during The Mighty Fall. At the beginning of the fight, he will have two bodyguards. While they are alive, the player's attacks will be severely reduced. More bodyguards will be summoned over the course of the fight. Additionally, Yelps can drain the player's defence. Finally, Yelps' special attack consists of him screaming "Woohoo, extra spin for the win!" The special attack can be identified by Yelps throwing coins on the ground and creating blue clouds. He will spin on the spot, hitting the player for rapid hits of approximately 500, which should be avoided. However, Yelps will chase the player around the arena by teleporting, although the speed of his teleports is low and can be avoided with only minor damage dealt.
The player will have increased damage when damaging Yelps after his bodyguards are slain; hitting the damage cap of 12,000 is easily possible.
- He appears to have level 79 Summoning, as he is capable of summoning Fire titans.
- He is one of 30 RuneScape Top Trumps cards, and he is a ranger with a height of 1.1m, a combat level of 10, an age of 35, a quest factor of 20, and 2 years in RuneScape. With a quest factor of 20, he has the highest quest factor of any card, likely as a result of him rewarding spins on the completion of every quest.
- Mieliki Tapio, the gnome who sells rewards in the Big Chinchompa distraction and diversion, appears to know of him, and describes him as a "stupid goblin giving rewards for free"
- ^ a b RuneScape Top Trumps, RuneScape. "Yelps grew up as the butt of jokes. Originally named Dimwit, Yelps gained his name by accidentally hitting his head, falling down stairs and biting his own tongue. Fed up of his screaming and hollering, the leaders of Goblin Village tied him to a spinning wheel, and played games with him."
- ^ Mod Nexus. "Spin and Win on the Squeal of Fortune!." 28 February 2012. RuneScape News.
- ^ Yelps, "The Mighty Fall", RuneScape. "I'm Yelps, the richest and smartest goblin that ever lived. It comes in handy, because I'm also the smallest goblin that ever lived."
- ^ a b Yelps, "The Mighty Fall", RuneScape. "It turned out the treasure I was givin' away actually belonged to some human princess or something, so I had to give most of it up."
- ^ Yelps, "The Mighty Fall", RuneScape. "I used to run this game, see? Lucky people would punch me in the face to win prizes!"
- ^ Yelps, "The Mighty Fall", RuneScape. "She's still runnin' the game but... *shudder* There's no punchin'. Not even a bit! There are... treasure chests!"
- ^ Yelps, "The Mighty Fall", RuneScape. "I've been trying to reintergrate into goblin society, but it's not going so well."
- ^ Yelps, "The Mighty Fall", RuneScape. "The highpriest told me to get my best gear on and guard the camp! Here I am!"
- ^ Yelps, "The Mighty Fall", RuneScape. "Not on yer life! I'm no warrior!"
- ^ General Bentnoze, "The Mighty Fall", RuneScape. "No one sure why Yelps goblin champion. Probably cos him disposable!"
- ^ General Bentnoze, "The Mighty Fall", RuneScape. "I can't hardly believe it. Dumb-dumb Yelps is gone."
- ^ Yelps, "Goblin Village", RuneScape. "I got a job as Wartface and Bentnoze's manservant. Since Grubfoot left for Dorgesh-Kaan they've been doing their own cooking and cleaning and it has not worked out well, let me tell you."
- ^ Yelps, "Goblin Village", RuneScape. "It's good honest work, but to be honest I miss the pomp and the razzmatazz of the game show scene! I've heard there are a couple of fellows who do some sort of show in some sort of pit. I thought I might apply there."
- ^ Mieliki Tapio, "Tree Gnome Stronghold", RuneScape. "Mieliki has rewards, yes, but people must help Nyriki to earn them. Mieliki is not some stupid goblin giving rewards for free."
|Exclusive rewards (Limited)||
|NPCs and items|