Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The XP tracker (formerly known as the XP Counter or XP ticker) was originally released by Jagex to members along with the Bonus XP Weekend on 12 March 2010. Exactly one month later, the XP Counter was released on 12 April 2010 to all players. It didn't get very much attention because it was displayed on the same announcement that unveiled the highly-anticipated skill, Dungeoneering.
Access and placementEdit
The settings for the XP tracker are under the "Metrics" tab of the RuneMetrics menu. The on-screen location of the XP tracker can be changed from the options menu as well, by first selecting Edit mode, and then selecting Gameplay HUDs editing.
When opened, up to three counters will be shown on screen. Each displays the amount of experience a player has received since they last reset that counter. Logging in or out does not affect the counter whatsoever. Every time a player has the counter out and receives experience in one of the tracked skills, the additional xp will show up briefly, and the total in that skill be updated correspondingly.
To reset a counter, choose "Reset Counter to Zero" option at the bottom. This is not reversible, so be sure that you want to reset the counter before you do it.
- The XP Tracker was moved from the Interface menu to the RuneMetrics menu on 22 February 2016.
- The button for the XP Counter was originally a circle with the text "XP+". On 13 April 2010, a day after the main release, the XP Counter icon was changed slightly and the "XP+" was simply changed to "XP".
- On 25 May 2010, Jagex changed the XP Counter reset button and made it so that a player had to right-click the XP Counter button and choose "Reset XP Total". This cleared up previous frustration, as players were able to unintentionally reset their counter by an accidental left click on the box.
- On 25 August 2010, the font for the XP Counter was updated.
- On 24 November 2010, commas were added to the XP Counter making the shown experience easier to read.
- An update increased the allotted counter space as digits of experience increased.
- On 22 November 2011, as part of the RuneScape Revolution Update, the XP Counter button received a graphical update (but only when viewed with Resizeable or Fullscreen modes). The new style had a more metallic and modern feel.
- On 16 January 2012, the XP Counter was revamped. Two optional counters were added, which allowed players to setup three separate counters to track total XP and/or XP gained in a specific skill. The counter box was removed, and the graphics and layout of the counter were changed.
- The release of Runescape 3 changed how the xp track was accessed, but the overall function remained the same.
- On 4 July 2016 the XP tracker was discontinued and replaced with a background-less version of the RuneMetrics tab.
- Jagex originally had no priority to release the counter, but many players made threads on the official RuneScape forums for the XP Counter to remain after the Bonus XP weekend. Jagex then confirmed that they would look into releasing the feature.
- Before 25 May 2010, the Alt Text, when the mouse was hovering over the XP Counter icon, was "Click". This did not tell anything useful about the XP Counter itself. Other buttons have more informative Alt Text, such as "World Map" and "Turn run mode on". Afterwards, the text was changed to "Open XP Total", and later on, "Toggle XP Total". The text is currently "Toggle XP Display".
- The allotted space for the XP Counter seems to only be 8 digits. Before an update, if a player received over 99,999,999 experience, the ninth digit was placed over the colon, near the right side of the "P". Now, the allotted space simply increases.
- When the experience on the counter reaches over 214,748,364.7 experience, the counter will display the word "Lots!". A higher number cannot be shown because RuneScape uses 32-bit signed integers, which cannot store numbers higher than 2,147,483,647. Since experience is stored to the tenth of an experience point, the maximum experience on the counter is one-tenth of this.
- There is currently a glitch where the XP counter quickly shows a very large amount of experience (usually the total xp earned in that skill) upon opening. This may happen for one or many skills. No experience is gained or lost when this occurs.
- The XP Counter is together with the Stats tab on fixed screen the only interface where the total level icon is still .