- RuneScape uses the British convention for floor numbering: Ground floor, first floor, second floor, etc.
|Release date||RuneScape Classic|
|No. of Banks||1|
|No. of Altars||0|
|Teleportation||Fairy ring DIS; |
Runecrafting guild teleport tablet (requires level 50 Runecrafting);
east portal of the Wizards' Guild (requires level 66 Magic);
|Location on World Map|
|Port Sarim Jail||←||Wizards' Tower||→||Lumbridge Swamp|
|Rock Island Prison|
The Wizards' Tower is located across a bridge, south of Draynor Village, and plays a role in multiple quests. The fairy ring code DIS will teleport the player immediately south of the tower. It can also be accessed by entering the east portal on the second floor of the Wizards' Guild. It is also home of the Runecrafting Guild, which you can directly teleport to using the Runecrafting guild teleport, or can teleport very near using the Wicked Hood.
The Island FortressEdit
During the transition from the Fourth Age into the Fifth Age, a runestone mine was discovered in the Fremennik Province by a local seer. The seer studied the rocks in the mines and harnessed their power to create magical runes. The Wizards' Guild was built to further study the stones, leading it to become a magic institution, the first of the war-torn lands. They decided to build the tower on a small island in the Southern Sea, hence creating an impregnable fortress from where they could ward off attacks, if they encountered any.
Wizards in the tower soon discovered areas of "significant" magical auras, which could be used to charge the runestones - now referred to as rune essence. After extensive research, the wizards created talismans to access and tap into this power. Using these talismans, they entered these enchanted places and created runes by harnessing the element present into the essence. This was the initiation of a new form of art known as runecrafting.
Runecrafting gave each human kingdom a stockpile of runes, following which they began to grow rapidly. However, the Fremennik from the north terrorised the land, as they believed that the creation of runes belonged to the gods. During these Runecrafting Crusades, the entrances to the runecrafting altars were destroyed. After twenty long years, with numbers wavering, and no new ground made, the Fremenniks finally agreed to make truce, due to the efforts of Asgarnian and Misthalin wizards. The remaining Fremenniks in the south set up a village, now known as Gunnarsgruun.
Eight years later, in year 70 of the Fifth Age, there was a schism, and a ritual to create the present power beam and solve the teleportation problem went wrong. The members of the four orders could not agree and did not perform the ritual correctly, which caused an explosion that destroyed the tower. The destruction of the tower was blamed unfairly on the Zamorakians, where the Saradominists and Guthixians were actually equally to blame. The Tower was soon rebuilt by Archmage Perien, who also sealed the ruins of the old one and banished Zamorakians forever.
The New TowerEdit
Years later, the Mage training arena and the Wizards' Tower were rebuilt.
Today, knowledge of magic and runecrafting continue to be researched. To avoid this knowledge falling into the wrong hands, the art of Runecrafting is a well guarded secret.
The tower itself consists of four floors, built upon the ruins of the previous tower. It contains a few notable non-player characters and is also one of the few locations that acts as a point to multiple other dimensions. Isidor, located on the first floor, can teleport players to the plane of the Land of Snow; Archmage Sedridor is on the second floor, and can teleport the player to the magically locked rune essence mine in the frozen fields of the north. Finally, on the third floor, there is a portal to the Runecrafting Guild, as well as two portals to the Runespan (high level and low level).
On the ground floor there are two wizards; Professor Onglewip, and Wizard Borann. There are also bookcases in the library, and players may find the following books while searching them:
- The Life & Times of a Thingummywut by Traiborn the Wizard
- Wind Strike for Beginners
- Life With a Wizard Husband ~ a Housewife's Story
- The Dark Arts of Magical Wands
- So You Think You're a Mage? Volume 28
- Fire, Earth and Water ~ What's it all About?
- How to become the Ultimate Wizard of the Universe
- 101 Ways to Impress Your Mates with Magic
On this floor, one can find several wizards. There is Wizard Jalarast, who can make splitbark equipment in members servers with the proper supplies. One can also find Wizard Mizgog, Wizard Grayzag, Wizard Isidor, and Wizard Ilona. In the eastern room there is a caged Lesser Demon. After Rune Memories you can talk to it when you have 50 Magic and 50 Prayer and either get 10,000 Magic or Prayer experience points.
Wizard Traiborn, Wizard Ellaron, and Archmage Sedridor are located on this floor. There is also a telescope, though you cannot use it to look at shooting stars.
According to Wizard Sinterklaas, he is a librarian on the seventh floor of the Tower, which is not accessible by players. Wizard Sioncorn also speaks of an attic, which is enchanted so that only staff can see and access it, for security reasons. Players were able to access the attic during the 2011 Christmas event.
- Abyss Miniquest (If using this teleport for the rune essence mine)
- Demon Slayer
- Imp Catcher
- Love Story
- Myths of the White Lands
- Recipe for Disaster
- Rune Memories
- Rune Mysteries
- Wanted! (Possibility of finding Solus Dellagar here)
Notable non-player charactersEdit
- Archmage Sedridor
- Wizard Traiborn
- Professor Onglewip
- Wizard Mizgog
- Wizard Melville Grayzag
- Wizard Jalarast
- Wizard Sinterklaas
- Wizard Sioncorn
- Wizard Valina
- Wizard Borann
- Wizard Isidor
- Wizard Taloram
- Wizard Ellaron
- Wizard Finix
- H.A.M. Agent Daniel
- Ariane (Signature hero)
- Caitlin (The Blood Pact)
- Dragith Nurn (The Blood Pact)
- Ilona (The Blood Pact)
- Jessika (Quiet Before the Swarm)
- Surok Magis (What Lies Below, Hunt for Surok miniquest & While Guthix Sleeps)
- According to the map of DeviousMUD, the forerunner to RuneScape, the Wizards' Tower was originally to be called "Warlocks Tower".
- The symbol of the Ancient Egyptian god Horus used to be above the entrance, before the graphics update. This symbol (as a hieroglyph) also meant "Wisdom" or (more appropriately) "magic".
- According to Saradomin in the 20th issue of the God Letters the caged lesser demon is nick-named "Lemmy". In the 2011 Christmas event, he was also called "Timmy".
- After entering any altar, the player will see a wizard reading a book. By talking to this wizard you learn about runic energy getting depleted and at the end of the conversation, the wizard can be used to teleport yourself to Wizard Finix on the third floor of the tower.
- The Wise Old Man planned to rob the Wizards' Tower for runes (See Draynor Bank Robbery and Wizards' Tower Robbery). He eventually attempts this, with the aid of the player in Love Story, but his heist is quickly foiled.
- Before the Wizards' Tower was graphically updated it was possible to see Tutorial Island south of the tower.
- When the Lumbridge and Draynor Tasks were introduced, one of the tasks was accidentally mislabeled, "Taunt the greater demon at the top of the Wizards' Tower." Though it was still a lesser demon, players could receive credit for the task. This mistake has since been corrected.
- Since the new Wizards' Tower is in a part of what was the "Tutorial Island", when you try to teleport from the south part of the Tower, the player receives a message saying "You cannot teleport from Tutorial Island!" because you could not teleport from the "Tutorial Island", until the tutorial was completed. This has been patched.
- If you look very closely at where the beam is on the minimap, you can see a ladder icon.