|Release date||RuneScape Classic|
|No. of Banks||1|
|No. of Altars||0|
|Main Music||Vision, Blue Wizards, The Harmony of the Runes|
|Teleportation||Fairy ring DIS; |
Runecrafting guild teleport tablet (with 50 );
Eastern portal of the Wizards' Guild (with 66 );
Wicked hood (with 5 )
Click on an image to enlarge.
- RuneScape uses the British convention for floor numbering: Ground floor, first floor, second floor, etc.
The Wizards' Tower is a very famous Saradominist institute of magic and runecrafting in Misthalin. The immense tower is located on a small island south of Draynor Village, connected to the mainland by an exquisite bridge. A fairy ring with the code DIS is located directly south of the tower. It can also be accessed by entering the east portal on the second floor of the Wizards' Guild. The tower is associated with many other wizards outside the tower as well as the Wizards' Guild of Yanille, with which it has a sort of rivalry. The Wizards' Tower has the only known portal to the Runespan realm, home of the Runecrafting Guild. The current Wizards' Tower is sometimes known as the Second Wizards' Tower, as the First Wizards' Tower was burnt to the ground due to a magical explosion in the year 70 of the Fifth Age.
The Wizards' Tower contains a teleportation beam, which is the anchor for all teleportation spells of the Standard Spellbook, which was also created by the wizards of the tower. In the First Tower, there used to be four wizard orders (the Red, Green, Blue and Grey Orders, aligned to Zamorak, Guthix, Saradomin and miscellaneous or no gods respectively). Each order had a master, who tutored multiple apprentices. It had a large library, hall and an amount of studies and offices. The current Wizards' Tower no longer has any orders (due to the destruction of the First Tower being blamed on the Zamorakian Red Order), and is thus exclusively Saradominist. Its head is an archmage, who has several senior wizards under him. These tutor the tower's students. The current tower has many facilities, including a library, an armillary, a telescope, offices and workrooms. In addition, the tower houses several secrets, such as the teleporation spell to the rune essence mine, which Zamorakian organisations such as the ZMI attempt to steal. The Tower is also known for having created most spells currently used today, as well as magical theses and theorems and the entire Lodestone Network. The Wizards' Tower is one of the tallest building on Gielinor, rivalling great cities' castles and the Dominion Tower. Its elaborate architecture and ornaments make it a beacon of human accomplishment in the Fifth Age.
|Location on World Map|
|Port Sarim Jail||←||Wizards' Tower||→||Lumbridge Swamp|
The Island FortressEdit
During the transition from the Fourth Age into the Fifth Age, a runestone mine was discovered in the Fremennik Province by a local seer. The seer studied the rocks in the mines and harnessed their power to create magical runes. The Wizards' Guild was built to further study the stones, leading it to become a magic institution, the first of the war-torn lands. They decided to build the tower on a small island in the Southern Sea, hence creating an impregnable fortress from where they could ward off attacks, if they encountered any.
Wizards in the tower soon discovered areas of "significant" magical auras, which could be used to charge the runestones - now referred to as rune essence. After extensive research, the wizards created talismans to access and tap into this power. Using these talismans, they entered these enchanted places and created runes by harnessing the element present into the essence. This was the initiation of a new form of art known as runecrafting.
Runecrafting gave each human kingdom a stockpile of runes, following which they began to grow rapidly. However, the Fremennik from the north terrorised the land, as they believed that the creation of runes belonged to the gods. During these Runecrafting Crusades, the entrances to the runecrafting altars were destroyed. After twenty long years, with numbers wavering, and no new ground made, the Fremenniks finally agreed to make truce, due to the efforts of Asgarnian and Misthalin wizards. The remaining Fremenniks in the south set up a village, now known as Gunnarsgruun.
Eight years later, in year 70 of the Fifth Age, there was a schism, and a ritual to create the present power beam and solve the teleportation problem went wrong. The members of the four orders could not agree and did not perform the ritual correctly, which caused an explosion that destroyed the tower. The destruction of the tower was blamed unfairly on the Zamorakians, where the Saradominists and Guthixians were actually equally to blame. The Tower was soon rebuilt by Archmage Perien, who also sealed the ruins of the old one and banished Zamorakians forever.
The New TowerEdit
Years later, the Mage training arena and the Wizards' Tower were rebuilt.
Today, knowledge of magic and runecrafting continue to be researched. To avoid this knowledge falling into the wrong hands, the art of Runecrafting is a well guarded secret.
The tower itself consists of four floors, built upon the ruins of the previous tower. It contains a few notable non-player characters and is also one of the few locations that acts as a point to multiple other dimensions. Isidor, located on the first floor, can teleport players to the plane of the Land of Snow; Archmage Sedridor is on the second floor, and can teleport the player to the magically locked rune essence mine in the frozen fields of the north. Finally, on the third floor, there is a portal to the Runecrafting Guild, as well as two portals to the Runespan (high level and low level).
On the ground floor there are two wizards; Professor Onglewip, and Wizard Borann. There are also bookcases in the library, and players may find the following books while searching them:
- The Life & Times of a Thingummywut by Traiborn the Wizard
- Wind Strike for Beginners
- Life With a Wizard Husband ~ a Housewife's Story
- The Dark Arts of Magical Wands
- So You Think You're a Mage? Volume 28
- Fire, Earth and Water ~ What's it all About?
- How to become the Ultimate Wizard of the Universe
- 101 Ways to Impress Your Mates with Magic
On this floor, one can find several wizards. There is Wizard Jalarast, who can make splitbark equipment in members servers with the proper supplies. One can also find Wizard Mizgog, Wizard Grayzag, Wizard Isidor, and Wizard Ilona. In the eastern room there is a caged Lesser Demon. After Rune Memories you can talk to it when you have 50 Magic and 50 Prayer and either get 10,000 Magic or Prayer experience points.
Wizard Traiborn, Wizard Ellaron, and Archmage Sedridor are located on this floor. There is also a telescope, though you cannot use it to look at shooting stars.
According to Wizard Sinterklaas, he is a librarian on the seventh floor of the Tower, which is not accessible by players. Wizard Sioncorn also speaks of an attic, which is enchanted so that only staff can see and access it, for security reasons. Players were able to access the attic during the 2011 Christmas event.
- Abyss Miniquest (If using this teleport for the rune essence mine)
- Demon Slayer
- Imp Catcher
- Love Story
- Myths of the White Lands
- Recipe for Disaster
- Rune Memories
- Rune Mysteries
- Wanted! (Possibility of finding Solus Dellagar here)
Notable non-player charactersEdit
- Archmage Sedridor - Archmage
- Wizard Traiborn - Lunatic senior wizard
- Wizard Mizgog - Tower wizard, "beadromancer"
- Wizard Melville Grayzag - Utterly insane tower wizard, demonologist
- Wizard Jalarast - Tower wizard, expert on armour
- Wizard Sinterklaas - Tower wizard, librarian
- Wizard Sioncorn - Tower wizard
- Wizard Valina - Tower wizard, door clerk
- Wizard Borann - Senior wizard, librarian
- Wizard Isidor - Tower wizard, teleportation expert
- Wizard Taloram - Tower wizard and demonologist, successor of Grayzag
- Wizard Ellaron - Senior wizard, secretly a Red Wizard
- Wizard Finix - Student, wrote a thesis about depletion of runecrafting altars
- Wizard Ilona - Student, specialised in stun and bind spells
- Azacorax - Unbanishable demon, pet
- Professor Onglewip - Gnome ambassador
- H.A.M. Agent Daniel
- Ariane (Signature hero)
- Caitlin (The Blood Pact)
- Dragith Nurn (The Blood Pact)
- Ilona (The Blood Pact)
- Jessika (Quiet Before the Swarm)
- Surok Magis (What Lies Below, Hunt for Surok miniquest & While Guthix Sleeps)
- On 28 November 2012, the Wizards' Tower and all of its wizards received a massive graphical update. It became much taller and larger (taking up the space previously used by Tutorial Island, which was removed with the same update), and its music was reworked as well, in addition to all wizards receiving voice acting. The quest Rune Mysteries was completely reworked as well, and given a direct sequel, Rune Memories. This expanded a lot on the history of the Wizards' Tower, especially its destruction.
- According to the map of DeviousMUD, the forerunner to RuneScape, the Wizards' Tower was originally to be called "Warlocks Tower".
- The symbol of the Ancient Egyptian god Horus used to be above the entrance, before the graphics update. This symbol (as a hieroglyph) also meant "Wisdom" or (more appropriately) "magic".