|Start point:||Talk to Hetty in her house in Rimmington, south of Falador and west of Port Sarim.|
|Items required:||Items from the toolbelt do not need to be listed unless that version won't work, or aren't automatically added to it. |
Burnt meat, an eye of newt, an onion and a rat's tail.
|Enemies to defeat:||Rat (Level 1)|
Talk to Hetty and tell her you want to know more about the black arts. She will tell you she needs four ingredients. You need to get a rat's tail, burnt meat, an eye of newt, and an onion.
Getting the ingredients
- Rat's tail: Simply find any normal sized rat in Rimmington and kill it. Rats only drop Rats' tails after you begin the miniquest.
- Burnt meat: Kill any creature that drops raw meat. (Note that chicken and seafood do not become cooked/burnt meat when cooked.) Also found sometimes when you kill an Imp. Nearby sources include the giant rats west of the Port Sarim Jail, the cows in the field west of the Crafting Guild, and the cows in the field of the Falador farm. (The field is north of the farming shop which has a sheepdog in it.) Then, "burn" the meat. Use a cooking range (for example the one in the house north of Hetty's house) or cook it on a normal fire with logs (you will need a tinderbox and axe to do this). If the meat cooks instead of burning, simply use the cooked meat with the fire/range again, and your meat will always end up being burnt.
- Eye of Newt: You can buy an eye of newt from the Magic shop in Port Sarim or at the Grand Exchange. Any magic shop is labelled with a small Fire rune on your minimap.
- Onion: Either pick one, farm one, or buy one at the Grand Exchange. Onions can be found in a field due north of Rimmington or in the field behind Fred's farmhouse to the north-west of Lumbridge, beside the road leading to the crossroads at Draynor Village.
Note: You don't have to start the miniquest to obtain all the ingredients, except for the rat's tail
- Start in Lumbridge (Lumbridge Home Teleport can get you there for free), kill a cow and take the meat. Burn the meat in a range or a fire in Lumbridge. It's easy to find a fire here, since many players train their Firemaking skills around this area. Just make sure that you do not eat the meat after you cook it once.
- Pick an onion in the Fred the Farmer's garden.
- Take 3 coins out of your bank in Draynor Village.
- Stop in Port Sarim and buy an eye of a newt in the magic shop.
- Go to talk to Hetty and ask to start the quest.
- Walk back outside Hetty's house to kill a rat and take its tail.
- Go talk to Hetty and give her the ingredients.
- She'll put them in her cauldron and tell you to drink from it. Drink from the cauldron to complete the miniquest. Congratulations, miniquest complete!
- 325 Magic experience.
- Players can buy two of the four ingredients that Hetty requires from the Grand Exchange. However, Burnt meat is not sold on the Grand Exchange, and a Rat's tail is not tradeable.
- You cannot give one or a few of the ingredients to Hetty; you must have all four in your inventory to complete the task.
- Sometimes players kill rats desperately trying to get a Rat's tail before realising you have to start the miniquest for rats to drop a tail.
- Prior to 24 June 2010, Witch's Potion was a quest. Due to an update, it was changed to be a miniquest. The reward of 325 Magic Experience did not change.
- Prior to 7 September 2010, your character would say to Juna "...And once I got her all the ingredients, Hetty's potion increased my magical power!" to which Juna would reply, "I see you are on your way to becoming strong in the magical arts." Because this is no longer a quest, it was removed from the list of adventures that you would describe to Juna.
Black Knights' Fortress • The Blood Pact • Cook's Assistant • Death Plateau • Demon Slayer • Druidic Ritual • Ernest the Chicken • Goblin Diplomacy • Gunnar's Ground • Imp Catcher • Let Them Eat Pie • Myths of the White Lands • Pirate's Treasure • The Restless Ghost • Rune Mysteries • Shield of Arrav • Stolen Hearts • Swept Away • Vampyre Slayer • Wolf Whistle What's Mine is Yours
|Removed or significantly changed|
Italics denote that the removed quest was later made into a miniquest.