|Preferred bait||Smouldering Tansymum|
|Retaliation||Attacks when lavender is burned|
|Loot||Bones, Raw bird meat and Wimpy feather|
|Examine||An ogre snack with wings.|
Wimpy birds are hunter creatures located near Oo'glog. They may be caught by players who have completed the quest As A First Resort... and have a Hunter level of 39, using a Bird snare. Burning tansymum is required to lure them into the bird snare. Burning lavender will cause the bird to attack the player and hit constant 20s. Tansymum can be picked right outside of the west entrance to Oo'glog beside the summoning mini obelisk, but low-level players will need to watch out for the level 99 Ogress Champion nearby. Burning fever grass will cause them to flee from players. Its feathers may be used to fletch arrows, and the feathers are the secondary ingredient in the Fletching potion.
While hunting wimpy birds and burning tansymum, diseased kebbits will occasionally attack. The kebbits hit for up to 20 LP, though they no longer cause players to become diseased, and can be avoided if the player picks the right spot (the one directly south of the Bandos pool appears to be unaggressive). Players can also soak in the mud bath to raise their Hunting skills and remove their scent, which removes the need for a lit torch.
Wimpy birds are a good source of both Hunter xp and cash, as the wimpy feathers sell at 300 each and the raw bird meat sells at 115 each, making the average profit on each bird (average 7.5 feathers) about 2.4k. While you are burning tansymum, the birds trap fairly easily and will never avoid the trap when they land on it. The nearby bank in Oo'glog makes depositing items fairly quick.
Habitat / LocationEdit
There is only one current habitat of the wimpy bird:
- Just outside of the west entrance to Oo'glog (slightly south and west of the gate).
The key to trapping these birds quickly is to be able to set up the traps as efficiently as possible. Since these birds come directly to you, there is no need to worry about trapping a spawn point or maintaining distance from your traps - you ought to stand right next to them, actually.
- First, bring as many bird snares as you can place at once. It's a good idea to have some extras in the bank. Also, bring a tinderbox. Wear larupia hunter gear.
- Next, travel to Oo'glog. It is a short walk from both the Mobilising Armies teleport and the Feldip Hills Fairy Ring (AKS). Look out for the Ogress Warriors in the area as you approach Oo'glog.
- Once arriving at Oo'glog, bathe in the spas. At least use the mud pool and thermal pool (to boost hunter and be immunized from disease), but you may find the other pools helpful as well.
- Next, exit Oo'glog to the west and pick tansymum by the summoning mini-obelisk. If you plan to bank every load of raw bird meat, you will need between 3 and 8 herbs. Alternatively, if you plan to only bank the feathers, take as many herbs as you can carry while leaving 4 empty inventory spaces (if you are using 4 traps at a time)
- Proceed a little south and east along the coast. Just west of the narrowest point, directly south of the bandos pool, there is a spot where you can hunt 3 birds at once and avoid all of the diseased kebbits.
- Light the first tansymum flower.
- Set up all of your traps in a line from east to west. Do not go east of the narrowest point along the coast, or the diseased kebbit on that side will begin attacking you (if you have the tansymum burning).
- As the birds begin to be trapped, check the traps and set them up in a line parallel to your original line - directly north or south one space. This is to keep you from walking over the top of your traps (which may keep the birds from landing on the traps) and to make it so you can set up the traps as quickly as possible.
- If your tansymum flower goes out, light another one immediately. The birds will not be trapped if they try to land on a snare when a flower has not been burning.
- Fill your inventory with birds and feathers, bank in Oo'glog, and return (picking more tansymum on your way back). Every couple of bank trips, bathe in the pools again to keep your hunter skill boosted and keep your immunity from disease, in case you get bitten by a diseased kebbit. Alternatively, bank only when you run out of tansymum if you are dropping the birds.
- If you set up your traps too near to the water, the birds might not be able to get around the narrow point to get to you. So, it is best to place them 1-2 steps to the north. However, the deadfall rock might keep the bird to the west from getting to you if you place your traps in line with it - the best ones are the 2 spaces in beteween.
- If you do get diseased, go bathe in the thermal pool. It will cure you.