The Wilderness wall or Defensive Ditch (formerly Wilderness Ditch) is a long, low wall that separates the Wilderness from the rest of Gielinor. The player must jump over the wall to get into or out of the Wilderness. Previously, there was a Wilderness ditch instead of a wall. However, with the 15 September 2010 Z-buffering update, the ditch was removed because Jagex thought the ditch didn't look as good as it did before Z-buffering was added. The original ditch was added on 18 April 2007. It was created to warn players about entering the Wilderness and to help prevent luring. There have been many rants about this update, many from player killers. There was also a well-known glitch with the ditch.
It was possible to have your character to appear to "glide" across the ditch. If you performed the Home Teleport spell to the point where you have drawn the line, and then clicked to cross the ditch, you would not jump, but glide across the ditch. This has been confirmed to be un-fixable by Jagex. Oddly enough, you don't seem to enter the Wilderness area directly when jumped over the wall, it is one step forward from it.
- If you examine some of the Wilderness signs that are located near the wall, they will read "Danger, Wilderness up ahead. Watch out for the Beast!", "Danger, Wilderness up ahead. Last chance to turn back..." and "Danger, Wilderness up ahead. Almost certain death!"
- The Doomsayer's toggle warning button continued to read "Wilderness ditch" until 7 December 2010.
- The change to the wilderness wall has been quite annoying to some players. Abyss runecrafters have trouble with this because part of the wall is non-passable, which makes it hard for them.
- On the first day of the new update, it left a few botters idle right next to the wall. This made it very noticeable to determine to who was botting or not.
- There was a glitch on a section of the wall near the Black Knights' Fortress. On the vertical section, if you stood just south of the rubble on the Wilderness side, when you tried to cross, your character would jump alongside the wall rather than over. This was the same for the spot directly east of the first spot (across the wall on the fortress side). This has been fixed.
- If you examine the Wilderness wall it says "Jump over here", which is not really a good examination for new accounts who may actually follow the instructions. Of course, the warning will alert them.
- If you examine a sign in the wilderness while standing NOT in the wilderness you still get the message "Stop examining signs you're in the Wilderness now!"