|Release date||27 March 2007 (Update)|
What Lies Below is a standalone intermediate quest that takes place within Varrock and partially in the Wilderness. It features a large degree of movement and some combat situations.
A travelling trader has been stranded south of Varrock after his cart was attacked by local outlaws. He needs the help of a hero to recover his lost documents, but that's not all...
The Varrock Palace Secret Guard (VPSG) are on the trail of treacherous dealings with the Monks of Zamorak. Will you be able to help the VPSG and uncover what lies below?
|Start point||Rat Burgiss south of Varrock|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Official length||Short to Medium|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.
|Enemies to defeat|
An unfortunate merchantEdit
Make your way to Rat Burgiss, who is on the road between Varrock and Lumbridge and to the west of the Exam Centre. He says that a bunch of outlaws ransacked his trading cart and stole some important papers. Offer to help him. He says the outlaws headed north-west, taking five pages with them. He tells you to kill the outlaws and get the papers back. He gives you an empty folder to keep the papers in.
Head to the Outlaw Camp, which is between Edgeville and the Grand Exchange and just south of Lucien's house. To get there, teleport to the Edgeville lodestone and head east toward the shortcut to get to the Grand Exchange. From there, run south a little ways past Lucien's house. An alternative method is to use the Ring of Fortune to teleport to Grand Exchange and head south and then west.
Kill five outlaws to retrieve Rat's five papers, and then use the papers one by one on the folder to get a full folder.
Head to the library in the northern part of the palace and speak to Surok Magis. You give him the letter, which he quickly destroys with a spell. He tells you that he has learned how to transform simple clay into gold bars, and will share the gold with you but first needs a few more items: an ordinary bowl and an infused wand. He gives you a wand to be infused with chaos and Sin'keth's diary. Finally, he tells you to search the library to find an old tome; he forgot where he left it but says it is easy enough to find.
Go to the north-east corner of the library, and search the bookcases opposite the table and two chairs to find a musty old tome called Dagon'hai history. It is possible to have taken this book previously, and if it is in your bank you will receive a game message saying as much but without referring to the book by name.
The Chaos altarEdit
Option 1: Teleport via wicked hoodEdit
The fastest way to get to the chaos altar is by using the wicked hood's teleport directly to altar. The hood must have previously been fed a chaos talisman or tiara for this option to appear.
Option 2: Through the AbyssEdit
If you have gained access to the Abyss by completing the short Abyss miniquest, then you can use it to reach the altar without needing a talisman.
Option 3: Through the WildernessEdit
Once inside, make your way through the maze to the Chaos Altar. The journey to the altar can take some time, as the maze can be confusing and the walk through the Wilderness can be dangerous.
Option 4: Through the Tunnel of ChaosEdit
Head north until you reach a portal. The portal leads to the third level of the Chaos Maze. Navigate the rest of the maze to reach the altar.
Infuse the wandEdit
A treasonous plot!Edit
Head back down to Rat, and deliver the letter. Rat explains that he is actually the commander of the Varrock Palace Secret Guard and that Surok Magis is planning to take over the kingdom of Misthalin by using a powerful mind control spell on King Roald. Rat directs you to Zaff, owner of the staff shop in Varrock, to help with a spell to counteract the effects of Surok's spell.
Fight King Roald until a message pops up in your chat box saying "Now would be a good time to summon Zaff!" If you summon Zaff too early, he will teleport you and him back to his shop.
King Roald is located in a single-way combat area, and is immune to the effects of poison and rings of recoil. As it is single-way combat, familiars cannot attack, so a beast of burden to hold extra food is better. Overall, the fight shouldn't be too hard, as King Roald hits rather low for his level and only has 1400 life points. He is weak to fire spells; however any kind of weapon or spell will do the job.
Choose the Summon option. Zaff arrives in a cutscene, saves King Roald, teleports him away and blocks Surok from teleporting away.
If you try to leave the room during the fight, you will be teleported south of Varrock, near the dark wizards. Also, if you are ranging, you will not be able to retrieve your arrows after the fight.
Return to Rat Burgiss, and speak with him.
Congratulations! Quest complete.
- 1 quest point
- 2,000 experience lamp
- 8,000 experience lamp
- The Beacon ring
- Access to the Tunnel of Chaos, which provides a shortcut to the Chaos Altar and the Chaos Tunnels
- Ability to speak with Historian Minas in the Varrock Museum and give him the Dagon'hai history book you found during the quest in the Varrock Palace library for kudos.
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys and 2 Hearts of Ice
- Music unlocked
Required for completingEdit
Completion of What Lies Below is required for the following:
- Chaos Tunnels: The Hunt for Surok
- Defender of Varrock
- Varrock Tasks:
- Medium: "What Lies Below?"
- Elite: "Stick a Bork In Him, He's Done" and "Mind Your Back"
- Despite Zaff putting a teleblock on the entire room Zaff and players still have the ability to teleport out of it.
- The name What Lies Below is a reference to the movie What Lies Beneath.
- After you get the spell from Zaff and you go back to arrest Surok Magis, he will have changed clothes to Dagon'hai robes but will still have the chatface of the original robes he was wearing before you came to arrest him.
- The second time you talk to Rat during the quest, your character will say "All work and no play makes [character name] a dull adventurer." This is a reference to the quote "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" from the well known proverb.
- The Aphro-Dizzy-Yak spell Surok mentions refers to "aphrodisiac", something which causes sexual desire.
- "Won't he be disinclined to acquiesce to the request?" is a reference to Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.
- Upon the completion of this quest, one's Adventurer's Log will read: "Surok Magis wanted to kill King Roald and take over Varrock with his magic, but his evil plan has been scuppered!"
- It is possible to decode Rat's letter, as it is a simple subsitution cipher. The letter reads: "Surok Magis, Your actions are being watched. We know what you are trying to do and the VPSG will stop you! Do not attempt to leave the palace or you will be arrested on sight. We will not hesitate to kill you if you disobey King Roald's orders. -Rat Burgiss
- During the final battle with King Roald, one thing he says "Havat you!" is a reference to Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail.
- If you completed the Garden of Tranquillity quest, King Roald will occasionally yell "That garden was awful!" Moreover, if you have completed Darkness of Hallowvale, Roald will occasionally yell "You're with the Vampyres!"
- When infusing the wand it looks as if a nature, earth, fire, water, and air rune is being absorbed into it, despite none of those runes being used.
What Lies Below