This article contains information for players seeking to kill waterfiends, including the recommended equipment, inventory and strategies.
Waterfiends are weak to ranged attacks and very weak to bolts. With 80 or higher Ranged players can get over 200 kills per hour which also gives over 150 crimson charms and over 150k Ranged experience per hour. While waterfiends are weaker to crossbows and bolts, bows like the crystal bow can still be very effective.
|Weapon||Royal crossbow/Chaotic crossbow/Armadyl crossbow & off-hand chaotic crossbow > Hand cannon > Karil's crossbow = Black salamander > Crystal bow > Rune crossbow & off-hand rune crossbow|
|Body||Armadyl chestplate > Karil's top > Royal d'hide body > Black d'hide body > Red d'hide body|
|Shield||Dragonfire shield (ranged) > Armadyl buckler|
|Gloves||Swift gloves > Mercenary's gloves > Culinaromancer's gloves 10 = Armadyl gloves > Royal d'hide vambraces > Black d'hide vambraces > Red d'hide vambraces|
|Neck||Saradomin's murmur > Amulet of Ranging > Amulet of fury > Amulet of glory|
|Cape||Completionist cape > Max cape > Ava's alerter > Ava's accumulator > Ava's attractor|
|Ring||Archers' ring (i) > Sixth-Age circuit > Archers' ring > Berserker ring > Tokkul-Zo|
|Familiar|| For Healing - Bunyip (Swallow Whole scrolls if lower Defence)|
For combat - Geyser titan
- Prayer potions and prayer renewal potions - For using Anguish and/or Soul Split
- If using a familiar, super restores or summoning potions are optional, but may be useful to summon a new familiar once the previous timer elapsed.
- Extreme ranging or overload potion
- Ferocious ring to get to Kuradal
- Players with a high level and good equipment may find shark drops are enough food for healing
- High Level Alchemy runes
- Dramen or lunar staff - not necessary if Fairy Tale III - Orks Rift is completed or if entering by whirlpool.
- Games necklace to travel to Barbarian Outpost if entering by whirlpool (which can be deposited at Barbarian Outpost to save inventory space for drops)
- Good food
Alternate location strategies Edit
The most popular spot to kill waterfiends is the Ancient Cavern, as it is easily accessible. However, for those that seek higher charm drop rates or wish to use a dwarf multicannon, there are two viable alternative locations: the Chaos Tunnels and the Ghorrock Fortress.
Players who have the Summoning level to use an geyser titan can kill waterfiends much more quickly in the Chaos Tunnels than in the Ancient Cavern, with consistent usage of the titan's scroll loaded into an enchanted helm. Using Soul Split and taking advantage of the occasional cooked shark drops, high level players can stay for a very long time (enough to make full usage of a Familiarisation triple-charm period).
In Ghorrock fortress, there are a number of waterfiends. After completing The Temple at Senntisten but their drops are different from the norm; the waterfiends at Ghorrock have a lower charm drop rate, but drop two charms at a time. A cannon can be used there, which is useful for efficient Slayer experience.
Polypore Strike is also effective, especially when combined with Dragon Breath and Omnipower abilities. Using a hexcrest and a charged amulet of glory can result in 15% boost to magic damage vs. an assigned Slayer target and a 3.9% critical hit bonus.
Extra Tips Edit
- It is also worth mentioning that while it may cost a certain amount to kill waterfiends through use of prayer potions, food or familiars etc., players can at least break even through picking up noted water orbs, noted snape grass, water talismans, ranarrs, lantadymes, items from the rare drop table, and even the reward from the level 3 clue scrolls they drop.
- Some High Level Alchemy runes can be brought to alch valuable drops such as water battlestaves or armour pieces like the rune helm and adamant platebodies. Due to lack of space, many people may not want to pick up all items and usually only pick up the stackable items such as water orbs, mithril arrows, and various runes.
- For those fighting Waterfiends in the Ancient Cavern, using the fairy ring (code BJQ) is a much quicker route to stock up on food/potions than walking all the way from the Barbarian Outpost. Note that the fairy ring is only accessible after completing much of Barbarian Training, at least up to Pyre ships. Before the ring can be used, bittercap mushrooms must be planted there. With 5 mushrooms in your inventory, use one of the mushrooms on the 'enchanted lands' spot near the centre of the ring.
- Waterfiends usually drop 1 water rune, 1 charm (typically crimson), and one other item or two grimy herbs. Sometimes the other item is 90 water runes. This means if a player examines the drop and sees only "charm" and "water rune", the odds are good that the player has received a charm and 91 water runes. If a player sees a charm, a water rune, and something else (like a shark), the water rune is 1 and not 91. The single water runes are not worth picking up.