|Release date||3 September 2007 (Update)|
|XP per kill||274.5 (and 90.5 experience)|
|Always drops||Big bones|
|Examine text|| Invulnerable: You don't think you can harm this creature.|
After cleansing: This tortoise looks a little more vulnerable now.
|Assigned by||Chaeldar, Sumona, Kuradal|
A warped tortoise can be found in the Poison Waste Slayer Dungeon during the The Path of Glouphrie quest and can be fought there during and after the quest. Players cannot receive Slayer assignments for warped tortoises unless they have completed the quest.
Their horrific appearance is a result of tampering with the Anima Mundi during experiments conducted by Glouphrie in Arposandra. The experiments have caused the tortoises to grow an additional pair of legs, as well as a group of purple tentacles protruding from their shell.
How to kill Edit
Warped tortoises are completely immune to incoming attacks unless the player has a crystal chime in their inventory. They mainly attack with magic, which can deal moderate damage, and quite accurately. They have considerable defence against melee and magic attacks, but are less well-defended against ranged, particularly crossbow bolts. The best weapons for killing them are dual Ascension crossbows, Chaotic crossbows, or even a Royal crossbow or the Hand cannon, although a Zaryte bow would also be effective.
There are relatively few areas where these foes may be killed without any interference from nearby level 82 warped terrorbirds, which are aggressive and attack with ranged and melee. One is at the entrance, where there are two quick tortoise spawns. A second is at the end of dungeon where there is a room with two warped tortoises alone which is not generally used by bots. This could prove useful for those on a Slayer task, particularly if they have 96 Summoning for a Pack yak. Some players may however find it unappealing to run through the length of the entire dungeon, tanking ranged attacks inflicted by the huge numbers of Warped Terrorbirds along the way.
- Competition: Has been fierce at times, with bots sometimes infesting several of the worlds, reducing the chances of tagging a tortoise unless the player's reactions are very quick. Due to the small number of good locations, and the popularity due to slayer assignments and desire for the drops, players will often compete and attempt to force the other one to hop into another world. An easy way to deal with bots is to place your clan vexilium in front of the ladder to the entrance. Sometimes bots will also enter the next room (the one with terrorbirds) if both doors are open.
- Multi-hitting: A Dwarf multicannon can be used in the dungeon. However, this will attack immediately on target, and the chimes must be used manually on them. This however, while expensive to do, maintains your hold on the tortoises the player is currently attacking. This will also affect Ancient Magicks Burst and Barrage spells.
- Healing: Warped tortoises can drop various amounts of items. They drop Tangled toad legs, which heal for a small amount, and can come in groups of one to three. This makes players who come to kill them bring little or no food, however the drop rate for this food is not common, so players may need to bring food if they have low defence or armour without good resistance to magic.
- Drops: Pick up stackables such as Swamp tar, Mithril ore, Law runes, and Coal. They also drop decent alching equipment, such as Mithril platebodies, warhammers, and Rune warhammers and pickaxes. Pick up any unique drops, such as Tortoise shells, Perfect shells [Notes 1], Long bones and Curved bones.
- Prayer Flashing: Prayer flashing may be used to negate some damage. This is however no longer recommended as protection prayers now only block 50% of damage as of the Evolution of Combat update. This may take some practice to do, and doing this will force the player to attack one at a time to minimize damage.
- ^ Perfect Shells can be turned in for 600 coins and 500 crafting xp
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Big bones 1 Always 712
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 49,354 kills.
1 charm is dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Armour and weaponsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Mithril warhammer 1 Common 784 Adamant hatchet 1 Common 443 Mithril platebody 1 Uncommon 2,766 Rune pickaxe 1 Uncommon 18,592 Rune warhammer 1 Rare 24,296
Ore and gemsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Adamantite ore 1 Common 2,335 Mithril ore 3–9 (noted) Common 2,181–6,543 Coal 6–16 (noted) Common 1,530–4,080
Runes and talismansEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Law rune 3–6 Uncommon 1,122–2,244 Law talisman 1 Uncommon 556 Nature talisman 1 Rare 373 Air rune 49 Rare 1,666
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Humerus bone 1 Common Not sold Perfect shell 1–3 Uncommon Not sold Spirit sapphire 1 Rare Not sold Spirit emerald 1 Rare Not sold Spirit ruby 1 Rare Not sold Long bone 1 Rare Not sold Curved bone 1 Rare Not sold
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Sulphur 1 Common Not sold Coins 30–180 Common Not sold Anagogic ort 20 Common Not sold Swamp tar 10–32 Common 4,040–12,928 Cabbage 2–54 (noted) Uncommon 90–2,430 Tangled toads' legs 1–4 Uncommon 414–1,656 Tortoise shell 1–3 Uncommon 14,293–42,879 Weapon poison (3) 1 Rare 98 Court summons 1 Rare Not sold Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold
Rare drop table drops Edit
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 250 – 450; 3,000;
9,000; 10,000; 12,000
Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,630 Uncut emerald 1 Common 2,850 Uncut ruby 1 Common 4,277 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 6,385 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 18,922 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 41,268 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 15,408 Dragonstone 1 Rare 10,629 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,624 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 24,226 Rune javelin 5 Rare 870 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,220 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,495 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,537 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,913 Dragon dagger 50 (noted) Very rare 831,200 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,333 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 31,933 Shield left half 1 Very rare 64,320 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 59,209 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 14,400 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,266,300 Rune arrow 150–200, 500 Rare 22,800–76,000 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,599,200 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 105,870 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 14,606 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 80,225–112,315 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 80,425–112,595 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 972 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 373 Pure essence 500–15,000 (noted) Uncommon 10,500–315,000 Nature rune 20–80 Rare 5,920–23,680 Soul rune 20 Rare 4,960 Law rune 45 Rare 16,830 Death rune 50, 121 Rare 10,050–24,321 Blood rune 50 Rare 15,650 Raw swordfish 125–250, 1,000 (noted) Uncommon 52,000–416,000 Raw shark 250–500 (noted) Uncommon 456,500–913,000 Big bones 150–500 (noted) Uncommon 106,800–356,000 Coal 150–7,500 (noted) Uncommon 38,250–1,912,500 Adamantite ore 150–800 (noted) Uncommon 350,250–1,868,000 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 9,500 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,122,600 Adamant bar 1,000–7,000 (noted) Rare 3,625,000–25,375,000 Rune bar 1, 50 (noted) Rare 14,305–715,250 Clean toadflax 25–250 (noted) Uncommon 126,650–1,266,500 Clean snapdragon 30–120 (noted) Uncommon 151,680–606,720 Clean torstol 10–100 (noted) Uncommon 101,620–1,016,200 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 7,980 Yew seed 1–50 Rare 70,730–3,536,500 Magic seed 1–7 Rare 133,805–936,635 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,329,300 Snapdragon seed 1 Rare 1,617 Yew logs 50–20,000 (noted) Rare 20,950–8,380,000 Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Melee) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Magic) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Ranged) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Agility) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Cooking) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (FM) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Fishing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Hunter) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Mining) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Prayer) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Smithing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Thieving) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (WC) 1 Very rare Not sold
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Key token 1 Rare Not sold
- At one time it was possible to heal using Guthan's set even when the tortoises were not made vulnerable by the crystal chimes. This was because at one point Guthan's set counted potential damage inflicted on foes even when actual damage was not possible due to prayer or other invulnerability. An update on 9 June 2009 fixed this bug.
- Warped tortoises are the highest leveled monsters to drop cabbages.
- If you have a slayer Daily Challenge and you attack a tortoise without a chime, you won't be able to do any damage. But if someone else subsequently kills the tortoise, it will still count towards your Daily Challenge.
- The examine text when protected and not protected are different. When it is examined without being affected by chimes, the examine text says "You don't think you can harm this creature.", while when affected by the chimes it says "This tortoise looks a little more vulnerable now."
- There seems to be a glitch where warped tortoises are immune to stuns; if stunned with Impact they will be unaffected, while if Asphyxiate is used the first hit will not stun while the remaining hits will.