|Release date||3 September 2007 (Update)|
|XP per kill||274.5 (and 90.5 experience)|
|Always drops||Big bones|
|Examine text|| Invulnerable: You don't think you can harm this creature.|
After cleansing: This tortoise looks a little more vulnerable now.
|Assigned by||Chaeldar, Sumona, Kuradal|
A warped tortoise can be found in the Poison Waste Slayer Dungeon during the The Path of Glouphrie quest and can be fought there during and after the quest. Players cannot receive Slayer assignments for warped tortoises unless they have completed the quest.
Their horrific appearance is a result of tampering with the Anima Mundi during experiments conducted by Glouphrie in Arposandra. The experiments have caused the tortoises to grow an additional pair of legs, as well as a group of purple tentacles protruding from their shell.
How to kill Edit
Warped tortoises are completely immune to incoming attacks unless the player has a crystal chime in their inventory. They mainly attack with magic, which can deal moderate damage, and quite accurately. They have considerable defence against melee and magic attacks, but are less well-defended against ranged, particularly crossbow bolts. The best weapons for killing them are dual Ascension crossbows, Chaotic crossbows, or even a Royal crossbow or the Hand cannon, although a Zaryte bow would also be effective.
There are relatively few areas where these foes may be killed without any interference from nearby level 118 warped terrorbirds, which are aggressive and attack with ranged and melee. One is at the entrance, where there are two quick tortoise spawns. A second is at the end of dungeon where there is a room with two warped tortoises alone which is not generally used by bots. This could prove useful for those on a Slayer task, particularly if they have 96 Summoning for a Pack yak. Some players may however find it unappealing to run through the length of the entire dungeon, tanking ranged attacks inflicted by the huge numbers of Warped Terrorbirds along the way.
- Competition: Has been fierce at times, with bots sometimes infesting several of the worlds, reducing the chances of tagging a tortoise unless the player's reactions are very quick. Due to the small number of good locations, and the popularity due to slayer assignments and desire for the drops, players will often compete and attempt to force the other one to hop into another world. An easy way to deal with bots is to place your clan vexilium in front of the ladder to the entrance. Sometimes bots will also enter the next room (the one with terrorbirds) if both doors are open. however since the release of old school runescape the number of bots in the main game have drasticlly decreased. most likely due to the bots migrating to old school runescape combined with the effects of botaney bay thus fighting bots for tortoises may no longer be an issue for the time being.
- Multi-hitting: A Dwarf multicannon can be used in the dungeon. However, this will attack immediately on target, and the chimes must be used manually on them. This however, while expensive to do, maintains your hold on the tortoises the player is currently attacking. This will also affect Ancient Magicks Burst and Barrage spells.
- Healing: Warped tortoises can drop various amounts of items. They drop Tangled toad legs, which heal for a small amount, and can come in groups of one to three. This makes players who come to kill them bring little or no food, however the drop rate for this food is not common, so players may need to bring food if they have low defence or armour without good resistance to magic.
- Drops: Pick up stackables such as Swamp tar, Mithril ore, Law runes, and Coal. They also drop decent alching equipment, such as Mithril platebodies, warhammers, and Rune warhammers and pickaxes. Pick up any unique drops, such as Tortoise shells, Perfect shells, Long bones and Curved bones.
- Prayer Flashing: Prayer flashing may be used to negate some damage. This is however no longer recommended as protection prayers now only block 50% of damage as of the Evolution of Combat update. This may take some practice to do, and doing this will force the player to attack one at a time to minimize damage.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Big bones 1 Always 527
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 46,199 kills.
1 charm is dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Armour and weaponsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Mithril warhammer 1 Common 947 Adamant hatchet 1 Common 501 Mithril platebody 1 Uncommon 2,693 Rune pickaxe 1 Uncommon 18,795 Rune warhammer 1 Rare 24,129
Ore and gemsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Adamantite ore 1 Common 3,169 Mithril ore 3–9 (noted) Common 2,958–8,874 Coal 6–16 (noted) Common 984–2,624
Runes and talismansEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Law rune 3–6 Uncommon 969–1,938 Law talisman 1 Uncommon 238 Nature talisman 1 Rare 119 Air rune 49 Rare 1,372
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Humerus bone 1 Common Not sold Perfect shell 1–3 Uncommon Not sold Long bone 1 Rare Not sold Curved bone 1 Rare Not sold
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Sulphur 1 Common Not sold Coins 30–180 Common Not sold Anagogic ort 20 Common Not sold Swamp tar 10–32 Common 2,690–8,608 Cabbage 2–54 (noted) Uncommon 124–3,348 Tangled toads' legs 1–4 Uncommon 396–1,584 Tortoise shell 1–3 Uncommon 14,026–42,078 Weapon poison (3) 1 Rare 102 Court summons 1 Rare Not sold Spin ticket 1 Rare Not sold Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold
Rare drop table drops Edit
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth improves the chances when equipped but is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 250 – 450, 3,000, 9,000, 10,000, 12,000 Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,649 Uncut emerald 1 Common 3,197 Uncut ruby 1 Common 4,426 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 8,413 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 24,360 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 38,813 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 16,873 Dragonstone 1 Rare 10,294 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,751 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 24,154 Rune javelin 5 Rare 890 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,060 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,745 Rune spear 1 Very rare 10,935 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,655 Dragon dagger 50 (noted) Very rare 837,550 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,556 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 32,114 Shield left half 1 Very rare 66,610 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 59,763 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 13,400 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,279,050 Rune arrow 150–200, 500 Rare 22,200–74,000 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,510,600 Air orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 3,651,000 Fire orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 3,131,000 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 90,518 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 9,924 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 16,250–22,750 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 79,600–111,440 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 99 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 119 Pure essence 500–15,000 (noted) Uncommon 10,500–315,000 Nature rune 20–80 Rare 5,320–21,280 Soul rune 20 Rare 2,460 Law rune 45 Rare 14,535 Death rune 50, 121 Rare 4,750–11,495 Blood rune 50 Rare 12,250 Raw swordfish 125–250, 1,000 (noted) Uncommon 36,750–294,000 Raw shark 250–500 (noted) Uncommon 418,500–837,000 Big bones 150–500 (noted) Uncommon 79,050–263,500 Coal 150–7,500 (noted) Uncommon 24,600–1,230,000 Adamantite ore 150–800 (noted) Uncommon 475,350–2,535,200 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 10,900 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,030,200 Adamant bar 1,000–7,000 (noted) Rare 3,860,000–27,020,000 Rune bar 1, 50, 150 (noted) Rare 13,042–1,956,300 Clean ranarr 33 (noted) Uncommon 66,594 Clean toadflax 25–250 (noted) Uncommon 109,525–1,095,250 Clean snapdragon 30–120 (noted) Uncommon 136,530–546,120 Clean torstol 10–100 (noted) Uncommon 60,010–600,100 Saradomin brew (4) 250 (noted) Very rare 53,500 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 8,718 Yew seed 1–50 Rare 74,111–3,705,550 Magic seed 1–7 Rare 165,336–1,157,352 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,446,520 Snapdragon seed 1 Rare 2,500 Torstol seed 1–31 Rare 20,077–622,387 Fellstalk seed 2 Rare 1,184 Yew logs 100–20,000 (noted) Rare 48,500–9,700,000 Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold
- At one time it was possible to heal using Guthan's set even when the tortoises were not made vulnerable by the crystal chimes. This was because at one point Guthan's set counted potential damage inflicted on foes even when actual damage was not possible due to prayer or other invulnerability. An update on 9 June 2009 fixed this bug.
- Warped tortoises are the highest leveled monsters to drop cabbages.
See also Edit