|Release date||3 September 2007 (Update)|
|XP per kill||274.5 (and 90.5 experience)|
|Always drops||Big bones|
|Examine text|| Invulnerable: You don't think you can harm this creature.|
After cleansing: This tortoise looks a little more vulnerable now.
|Assigned by||Chaeldar, Sumona, Kuradal|
A warped tortoise can be found in the Poison Waste Slayer Dungeon during the The Path of Glouphrie quest and can be fought there during and after the quest. Players cannot receive Slayer assignments for warped tortoises unless they have completed the quest.
Their horrific appearance is a result of tampering with the Anima Mundi during experiments conducted by Glouphrie in Arposandra. The experiments have caused the tortoises to grow an additional pair of legs, as well as a group of purple tentacles protruding from their shell.
How to kill Edit
Warped tortoises are completely immune to incoming attacks unless the player has a crystal chime in their inventory. They mainly attack with magic, which can deal moderate damage, and quite accurately. They have considerable defence against melee and magic attacks, but are less well-defended against ranged, particularly crossbow bolts. The best weapons for killing them are dual Ascension crossbows, Chaotic crossbows, or even a Royal crossbow or the Hand cannon, although a Zaryte bow would also be effective.
There are relatively few areas where these foes may be killed without any interference from nearby level 82 warped terrorbirds, which are aggressive and attack with ranged and melee. One is at the entrance, where there are two quick tortoise spawns. A second is at the end of dungeon where there is a room with two warped tortoises alone which is not generally used by bots. This could prove useful for those on a Slayer task, particularly if they have 96 Summoning for a Pack yak. Some players may however find it unappealing to run through the length of the entire dungeon, tanking ranged attacks inflicted by the huge numbers of Warped Terrorbirds along the way.
- Competition: Has been fierce at times, with bots sometimes infesting several of the worlds, reducing the chances of tagging a tortoise unless the player's reactions are very quick. Due to the small number of good locations, and the popularity due to slayer assignments and desire for the drops, players will often compete and attempt to force the other one to hop into another world. An easy way to deal with bots is to place your clan vexilium in front of the ladder to the entrance. Sometimes bots will also enter the next room (the one with terrorbirds) if both doors are open.
- Multi-hitting: A Dwarf multicannon can be used in the dungeon. However, this will attack immediately on target, and the chimes must be used manually on them. This however, while expensive to do, maintains your hold on the tortoises the player is currently attacking. This will also affect Ancient Magicks Burst and Barrage spells.
- Healing: Warped tortoises can drop various amounts of items. They drop Tangled toad legs, which heal for a small amount, and can come in groups of one to three. This makes players who come to kill them bring little or no food, however the drop rate for this food is not common, so players may need to bring food if they have low defence or armour without good resistance to magic.
- Drops: Pick up stackables such as Swamp tar, Mithril ore, Law runes, and Coal. They also drop decent alching equipment, such as Mithril platebodies, warhammers, and Rune warhammers and pickaxes. Pick up any unique drops, such as Tortoise shells, Perfect shells [Notes 1], Long bones and Curved bones.
- Prayer Flashing: Prayer flashing may be used to negate some damage. This is however no longer recommended as protection prayers now only block 50% of damage as of the Evolution of Combat update. This may take some practice to do, and doing this will force the player to attack one at a time to minimize damage.
- ^ Perfect Shells can be turned in for 600 coins and 500 crafting xp
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Big bones 1 Always 546
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 49,736 kills.
1 charm is dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Armour and weaponsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Mithril warhammer 1 Common 731 Adamant hatchet 1 Common 413 Mithril platebody 1 Uncommon 2,734 Rune pickaxe 1 Uncommon 18,576 Rune warhammer 1 Rare 24,457
Ore and gemsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Adamantite ore 1 Common 1,361 Mithril ore 3–9 (noted) Common 1,155–3,465 Coal 6–16 (noted) Common 1,446–3,856
Runes and talismansEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Law rune 3–6 Uncommon 1,290–2,580 Law talisman 1 Uncommon 401 Nature talisman 1 Rare 486 Air rune 49 Rare 1,323
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Humerus bone 1 Common Not sold Perfect shell 1–3 Uncommon Not sold Spirit sapphire 1 Rare Not sold Spirit emerald 1 Rare Not sold Spirit ruby 1 Rare Not sold Long bone 1 Rare Not sold Curved bone 1 Rare Not sold
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Sulphur 1 Common Not sold Coins 30–180 Common Not sold Anagogic ort 20 Common Not sold Swamp tar 10–32 Common 1,620–5,184 Cabbage 2–54 (noted) Uncommon 122–3,294 Tangled toads' legs 1–4 Uncommon 440–1,760 Tortoise shell 1–3 Uncommon 14,295–42,885 Weapon poison (3) 1 Rare 86 Court summons 1 Rare Not sold Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold
Rare drop table drops Edit
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 200–350,3,000 Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,353 Uncut emerald 1 Common 2,509 Uncut ruby 1 Common 2,766 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 5,242 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 31,242 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 32,820 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 14,500 Dragonstone 1 Rare 10,089 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,655 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 24,265 Rune javelin 5 Rare 915 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,240 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,404 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,415 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,976 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,567,200 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,125 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 31,681 Shield left half 1 Very rare 64,841 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 59,361 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 13,000 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,257,150 Rune arrow 150 Rare 22,650 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 97,624 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 10,576 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 63,200–88,480 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 61,425–85,995 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 684 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 486 Pure essence 1,000–1,500 (noted) Uncommon 17,000–25,500 Nature rune 60–80 Rare 18,360–24,480 Soul rune 20 Rare 4,480 Law rune 45 Rare 19,350 Death rune 50 Rare 14,100 Blood rune 50 Rare 24,050 Raw swordfish 125–250 (noted) Uncommon 58,750–117,500 Raw shark 250 (noted) Uncommon 297,750 Big bones 150–180 (noted) Uncommon 81,900–98,280 Coal 550–700 (noted) Uncommon 132,550–168,700 Adamantite ore 150–250 (noted) Uncommon 204,150–340,250 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 8,600 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,127,100 Rune bar 1 Common 14,239 Rune bar 50 (noted) Very rare 711,950 Clean toadflax 35–45 (noted) Uncommon 112,805–145,035 Clean snapdragon 30–35 (noted) Uncommon 103,950–121,275 Clean torstol 16–34 (noted) Uncommon 89,616–190,434 Snapdragon seed 1 Common 2,379 Torstol seed 1 Uncommon 18,952 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 8,724 Magic seed 3–7 Rare 484,107–1,129,583 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,223,390 Yew logs 450–550 (noted) Rare 165,150–201,850 Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Melee) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Magic) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Ranged) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Agility) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Cooking) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (FM) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Fishing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Hunter) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Mining) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Prayer) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Smithing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Thieving) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (WC) 1 Very rare Not sold
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Key token 1 Rare Not sold
- At one time it was possible to heal using Guthan's set even when the tortoises were not made vulnerable by the crystal chimes. This was because at one point Guthan's set counted potential damage inflicted on foes even when actual damage was not possible due to prayer or other invulnerability. An update on 9 June 2009 fixed this bug.
- Warped tortoises are the highest leveled monsters to drop cabbages.
- If you have a slayer Daily Challenge and you attack a tortoise without a chime, you won't be able to do any damage. But if someone else subsequently kills the tortoise, it will still count towards your Daily Challenge.
- The examine text when protected and not protected are different. When it is examined without being affected by chimes, the examine text says "You don't think you can harm this creature.", while when affected by the chimes it says "This tortoise looks a little more vulnerable now."
- There seems to be a glitch where warped tortoises are immune to stuns; if stunned with Impact they will be unaffected, while if Asphyxiate is used the first hit will not stun while the remaining hits will.