|Release date||14 March 2005 (Update)|
|XP per kill||79.8 (and 26.3 experience)|
|Assigned by||Mazchna or Achtryn|
|Examine text||A big, scary hand!|
A Wall beast is a Slayer monster that requires level 35 Slayer to kill. They are the hands of "the Grotesque", a monster made from pure corruption who turned the area west of Lumbridge into a swamp. The hands of the wall beasts are very long, even able to emerge from the Lumbridge Swamp Caves to the surface, sticking out of a nexus. A spiny helmet or equivalent is required to start fighting one. Players without 5 Defence would not be assigned these as 5 Defence is required to wield the helmet. This monster is not very popular, due to the fact that its drops are poor with the exception of the mystic hat. It is found only in the Lumbridge Swamp Caves.
This creature is infamous for surprising, and often killing, low-level players in the Lumbridge caves.
The creature's immunity to poison has been confirmed with the use of the Monster Examine spell.
When a wall beast attacks a player, only its arm is seen sticking out of the wall. However, in the July 2006 edition of Postbag from the Hedge a player asked for a picture of the wall beast's whole body.
The reply contained no words, only a picture of a grotesque green creature that presumably is the wall beast's true form. It has a somewhat humanoid Cyclopsean structure with atrophic limbs except for one upper arm, which is presumably the one it uses to attack, consistent with its living environment. It also has a total of four body piercings in places that would be nipple piercings in humans, two in each side laterally. The abdomen includes a central feature that may be analogous to the navel in humans. However, if the player uses the glitch allowing it to see part of the wall beast's body ingame, the models do not match.
Read below for more.
Lumbridge Swamp CavesEdit
Players can find wall beasts in Lumbridge Swamp Caves. When walking past one without wearing a spiny helmet, there is a chance it will grab the player by the head and slam him or her against the wall. This will result in 110 to 180 life points being lost.
Nevertheless, even if the player forgets their spiny helmet, they may still avoid damage from these: move to beside their opening and stop. Make sure run is on, and click beyond their opening. Doing this will make passing the wall beast guaranteed, without it grabbing your head.
On another note, when slaying wall beasts, it is recommended that players only fight the wall beast closest to the main entrance of the Lumbridge Swamp Caves. When a player climbs down the rope, there will be a wall beast lurking in the wall just ahead.
Strengths and weaknessesEdit
Players should wear a spiny helmet whilst fighting wall beasts, otherwise they will grab them by the head and slam them against the wall, removing up to 180 life points.
If players wear a spiny helmet, the grabbing attack will fail. A wall beast's maximum hit on a player wearing a spiny helmet is 44.
Contrary to what the above picture may imply, the wall beast does not count as a large monster and therefore the dragon halberd's special attack does not produce two hits on it.
- You can still use a black mask, focus sight or hexcrest to fight the wall beasts as long as you ensure you wear one of the aforementioned items while the wall beast initially tries to attack you. As soon as it discovers you with your spiny helmet, you can switch to your preferred headgear. Just be careful to re-equip your spiny helmet after each battle.
- A player can "reset" the wall beast spawn by quickly climbing up the rope of the cavern and then back down—this is much faster than waiting for the wall beast to respawn by itself.
- Always remember to wear one of the helmets. (listed above)
- Remember to walk, not run. You will run right past them!
- They have a respawn time just like all the other monsters in the game, so place yourself near two different holes if not using the rope trick described above.
- They are located in the Lumbridge swamp caves, so remember a light source.
- Players may wish to bring an antipoison in case they accidentally attack a cave slime or a cave crawler, which are poisonous.
- This monster has the highest life points of any monster under level 50. This means a penance trident's special attack, Reap, can kill it in one hit for a massive amount of 1050 damage. This means this is the max hit for anyone with level one in Strength and Attack, as the only requirement to wield the trident is level 70 Magic.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Grimy guam 1 Common 539 Grimy marrentill 1 Common 44 Grimy tarromin 1 Common 249 Grimy harralander 1 Common 652 Grimy cadantine 1 Uncommon 2,507 Grimy kwuarm 1 Uncommon 2,471 Grimy ranarr 1 Rare 2,160 Grimy irit 1 Rare 1,743 Grimy avantoe 1 Rare 4,128 Grimy lantadyme 1 Very rare 7,850 Grimy dwarf weed 1 Very rare 8,195
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Air rune 3 Common 39 Cosmic rune 2 Rare 302 Chaos rune 3, 7 Rare 123–287
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 1,688 kills.
1 charm is dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Weapons and armourEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Steel helm 1 Common 76 Steel full helm 1 Common 198 Iron helm 1 Common 11 Bronze helm 1 Common 28 Bronze full helm 1 Common 67 Black full helm 1 Uncommon 407 Mithril helm 1 Uncommon 292 Mithril full helm 1 Uncommon 644 Adamant helm 1 Uncommon 742 Mystic hat (light) 1 Rare 8,640
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 15 Common Not sold Tinderbox 1 Common 111 Bullseye lantern (frame) 1 Common 99 Lantern lens 1 Common 4 Unlit torch 1 Common 2 Eye of newt 1 Uncommon 8 Clue scroll (medium) 1 Rare Not sold Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold
- Amusingly, the wall beast often drops helmets and lightsource related objects, referring to the fact that it aims at the heads of passers-by, and it living in dark caves.
- The ability Surge allows you to bypass the beast without the chance of being caught.
- Although the arms of the wall beasts were revealed to be the arms of the Grotesque, Postbag from the Hedge had previously shown its full body.