|Release date||1 June 2011 (Update)|
Vengeance is the second Fremennik Saga. It may be started after finding a collection of swords on the abandoned floors of Daemonheim. The saga initially starts by following Kay Thanxby, Lola Wut, Ican Haz, and Lotheria Seldorina, then continues with the player taking control over a vengeful poisoned forgotten warrior.
|“||Four adventurers arrive in Daemonheim, looking to gain experience, fight creatures, and generally search for treasure. After defeating one room of enemies and charging through to the next, it becomes clear that they have left a lone survivor behind. This survivor has reacted somewhat badly to the attack, and has retribution on their mind.||”|
- Developer: James C
- Senior Designer: David O
- Graphics: Alex R
- Quality Assurance: Vicki M, Ian H, Daniel H, Stacey N, Liam H
- Audio: Adam B
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Official difficulty||Unknown edit|
|Requirements||The below skill requirements are not boostable unless stated otherwise.|
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added. Ring of kinship to find the Collection of Swords|
|Enemies to defeat|
The following must be completed to reach 100% completion and receive the unabridged tome:
- Find and talk to Argax, allowing her to die peacefully or telling her to keep fighting.
- Confront Korel about the key, either sparing him or punishing him.
- Talk to Peleas after examining the remains of his lover Shianna, either lying to comfort him or telling the truth about her death.
- Skip to the next section if this has already been done.
- In order to begin, the player must first unfreeze Skaldrun.
- This can be done by entering the Frozen floors (1-11) in Daemonheim, with Complexity 2 or higher activated.
- While completing the dungeon, look for Skaldrun, who will be in any room frozen in ice.
- Kill all the monsters in the room so that the discussion with Skaldrun will not be interrupted.
- Light any type of fire adjacent to the ice or cast a fire spell on the ice.
- Talk to him. Choose each option. Once done, tell him to "Leave" and he will teleport to the surface.
Finding the memory fragmentEdit
- The memory fragment required to start this saga is a Collection of Swords.
- These swords can be found during any dungeon on any of the abandoned floors between (and including) 12 and 17 on any Complexity level.
- When found, touch the collection of swords.
- Finish the dungeon or leave for the surface.
Into the sagaEdit
- Deposit your Ring of kinship and daemonheim aura. No items can be taken into the saga.
- Find Skaldrun located west of Thok, Master of Dungeoneering.
- Talk to him about the collection of swords.
In the first part of the saga, the player controls Kay Thanxby, the leader of a band of four adventurers exploring Daemonheim. They are Kay Thanxby (warrior), Lotheria Seldorina (ranger), Lola Wut (warrior), and Ican Haz (quick-chat mage). In the second part of the saga, the player controls a poisoned forgotten warrior. The main objective is to complete the dungeon without dying. Achieving only this results in the "abridged" reward. The saga also has an "unabridged" reward which can be earned by additionally completing three side-objectives.
The poisoned warrior can follow a noble or ruthless path of vengeance. The player can decide either path or a mixture. Depending on which path the player chooses, the story will have a different outcome.
- Meet the adventurers.
- Enter the first room and kill the four level 105 forgotten warriors inside.
- Skaldrun will then move onto the next part of the tale.
- A cutscene will follow and the player will then control a surviving forgotten warrior.
- Return to the starting room and talk to Orin.
- (Ruthless) Choose to keep the fish. The silver crescent key will be taken from his corpse.
- (Noble) Give Orin the fish in exchange for the key.
- Use the key to open the door.
- There is currently a bug with this section. If you interrupt the conversation right after agreeing to keep the fish, Orin will die but you would not receive the key.
Flip tile roomEdit
- (Ruthless) Avoid being spotted by Lotheria Seldorina and hide behind the pillars. Attack from behind and kill the ranger in combat.
- (Noble) Kill the ranger Lotheria Seldorina in standard combat.
- Lotheria is of a relatively low level, and being a ranger, which is defeated by melee in the combat triangle, she is unlikely to deal much damage before she is slain.
- You will always deal 375 damage as the first hit if you strike Lotheria from the shadows, by hiding near a pillar. She will then exclaim that she is bleeding, and her life points will be rapidly chipped away.
- Once she has been killed, solve the tile puzzle to open the door.
- Run through the next room. Kill the spiders if needed for more Giant flatfish.
Killing Ican HazEdit
- (Ruthless) Pull the blue lever behind the summoning obelisk, summoning a horde of skeletons.
- (Noble) Do not pull the blue lever behind the summoning obelisk.
- Kill the mage Ican Haz.
- He uses magic attacks, which are strong against melee in the combat triangle. This makes the fight one of the most difficult. He might also cast Entangle and walk away to attack from a distance. It is strongly recommended to follow the ruthless path here.
- If you insist to follow the noble path, one method is to go in, attract his attention and go out before he binds you with magic. This lures him to the entrance. From then on, fight him right there as you could easily escape when he casts Entangle.
- If Ican is attacking you when you pull the switch, he will continue to do so after the skeletons appear. To reduce damage, run out of the room.
- Have some food at all costs. Ican usually hits high, and there's some Dungeon spiders in the room before his that you can kill for food.
- Unlike most monsters, Ican will not turn to attack you if you are behind his back, much like Lotheria Seldorina. Thus, you can possibly pull the switch and run out without being hit once by seizing the chance when he turns his back to you.
- Ican always prioritises The Forgotten Warrior above skeletons, so it is best to re-enter after he is defeated. If he casts a spell just before he is defeated, it won't deal damage.
- The skeletons are level 126, only have an examine option and can not be attacked.
- Pick up the blue triangle key.
- Unlock the door in the previous room.
- Continue down the path through several rooms.
- You can kill the level 68 hellhounds for antipoison elixir. The elixir eliminates the poison effects for a while.
- Killing level 60 dungeon spiders for food is strongly recommended. They always drop two to seven giant flatfish, with a tendency to drop high amounts. However if they hit you, and you've drunk an antipoison elixir, they will restart the poison, otherwise they will deal extra poison damage.
- One room will contain one dungeon spider and a dying warrior named Argax.
- Talk to Argax behind the wall.
- (Ruthless) Encourage Argax to continue to fight the attacking party.
- (Noble) Allow Argax to die peacefully.
- Enter 2 more rooms to reach the lever room.
- Pull the five levers within the time limit to unlock the door.
- Talk to Korel in the second room after the lever room.
- (Ruthless) Choose to kill him.
- (Noble) Let him live.
Killing Lola WutEdit
- (Ruthless) Search the table in the southeast corner for a vial of poison.
- Check the north door to get Lola to start moving towards the fishing spot.
- Go through the west door.
- Use the poison on the fishing spot.
- Check the north door to complete the circuit of the four rooms.
- Wait for Lola to use the fishing spot. View Shianna's body in the room to keep from accumulating poison damage. The poison will damage her severely, knocking her to 1 life point, or kill her if she was already damaged. Finish killing her if needed.
- (Noble) Kill Lola in standard combat.
- This will be harder to do because she is in Katagon with a Flameburst defender and a Gorgonite dagger, but she will most likely be unable to hit you as hard.
- Once she is defeated, let her live or kill her.
- Go through the west door.
- Check Shianna's body (it's recommended that you do so before talking to Peleas to save time).
- Go through the north door and then the east door.
- Talk to Peleas.
- (Ruthless) Tell him the truth to spur his hatred.
- (Noble) Choose to lie to him so he will die at ease.
- Go back west and unlock the door with the key and continue through several more rooms.
Killing Kay ThanxbyEdit
- Attack Kay Thanxby.
- She attacks with her Gorgonite 2h sword on crush, which is fairly accurate.
- If she casts Entangle once you enter, exit the room. This prevents damage and lures her to the entrance.
- She will often teleport and the player will have to re-engage into combat. If the player attacks her while she is still teleporting, she will say "Oof!" and the hit will be much higher. When she says "Catch me if you can!", immediately click to attack her to take advantage of this. However, if you fail to hit her during her teleport, she will cast entangle, then cast two magic attacks in rapid succession, hitting up to around 200 damage each, and often follows up with another one after a small delay. This is her most dangerous move. For this reason, keeping over 400 life points during the fight is advised to avoid death. After doing so, she will temporarily be non-aggressive to the forgotten warrior, allowing time to eat and heal.
- You are strongly advised against eating during battle as she frequently hits higher than 100 and eating would easily make you miss a teleport. Either way, if done correctly, you shouldn't need any food.
Ending the sagaEdit
- Once Kay is defeated, choose any of the four options to end the saga.
- The first two options will not be available if you have acted too ruthlessly and the last two options will not be available if you have acted too nobly. However, this does not affect the rewards, only the ending.
- (Ruthless Ending - unabridged) The player will torture Kay for hours until she gives in and willingly embraces death. Then the warrior will merge with the spectre of Taevas and morph into Vengeance and escape from Daemonheim, cutting down many of the Fremennik and eventually disappearing.
- (Noble Ending - unabridged) The player will take Kay back a room and show her the dead children, after which the warrior will figure out that there were no children, and that it was only rage and sadness that made them appear as such. Upon this realisation, the warrior will let Kay go. The warrior will then claw her way out of the dungeons. Assisted by Kay, the warrior travels to Rellekka and tells Taevas' partner of his devotion, but dies during the night from the poison. The body is not found and "disappears".
- In addition to the two above endings, there are two options to kill Kay outright, available for those on either noble or ruthless path. If a secondary objective is missed (only the abridged story is earned) only the endings where Kay is killed outright are available.
- Skaldrun will then give the player their reward, the Vengeance book. Upon reading the book, it will disappear and the player will gain some experience.
An abridged book, which when read gives:
Together with the above rewards, an unabridged book, which when read gives:
- 25,415 experience in either Agility or Thieving (if you have bonus xp in Agility or Thieving then the book will give you 50,830 xp instead)
The saga is always re-playable regardless the completion percentage. However, the player will only receive the rewards the first time that the objectives are completed.
- The Forgotten Warrior's sword used to have a special attack which would change depending on which path the player chooses during the saga. If the player chose a noble path, the attack would have a healing effect, and if they chose a ruthless path, the attack would deal more damage, both of which increases as they make more decisions.
- It is possible to talk to NPCs to halt the poison's process while naturally healing, and, before the Evolution of Combat, optionally use the noble special attack of the Fractite longsword to heal enough life points that The Forgotten Warrior could withstand the whole poison period. Assuming that you did not engage in any conversation for more than 18 seconds and you did not consume any antipoison elixir, it would take 9 minutes for the poison to be cleansed, and it would deal 1170 damage in this period. 90 life points would be recovered through natural healing. Therefore, she could have escaped the dungeon with full life points and unpoisoned. However, Skaldrun would still say she succumbed to poison and her wounds in some endings. This was changed by the Evolution of Combat. The poison no longer deals slowly reducing damage until it is gone, but instead deals a random amount (average 30) every 10 seconds. This means the Forgotten Warrior will die in about 240 seconds (4 minutes) if no action is taken. The poison timer is hidden at first, but later a timer of about 960 minutes (16 hours) would be shown.
- Despite that The Forgotten Warrior shows a maximum life points of 1900, you cannot heal above 760.
- On the day of release, the Knowledge Base said the memory fragment could only be obtained on the floors 12-17 while the news post claimed it could be found on any floors 12-21.
- Completing the flip tile puzzle before killing Lotheria Seldorina yields the normal message, "You hear a click as the last tile flips. All the doors in the room are now unlocked." However, the door will not actually unlock until the battle is complete.
- On the day of release, the dead Forgotten mage in the room with the levers examine was 'He knew more dirty jokes than anyone.' This was later changed to 'He could outdrink anyone.', most likely because Orin has the same examine info.
- Three of the four adventurers' names at the beginning of the saga are references to commonly used and grammatically incorrect text phrases: I can haz?, kthxbye and Lolwut.
- Previously, if you have a male title, e.g. Lord, it will be changed to the female variant, e.g. Lady, whilst you play as the forgotten warrior. This has since been fixed.
- During the Saga, Giant flatfish appear as Members' items, with yellow text, but in Daemonheim outside of the saga, they are a Free item, with grey text. They also only heal 100 life points opposed to the normal 250 - 750 life points.
- If an unavailable ending was chosen while deciding Kay Thanxby's fate, the saga would end without showing the ending.
- It is not possible to activate prayers during the saga, but players can activate them prior to talking to Skaldrun. Prayer points are refilled upon entering the saga and again when the player switches to the Forgotten Warrior.
|Saga #2 of the Fremennik Sagas|