|Release date||10 September 2007 (Update)|
|Area(s)||Varrock, Edgeville and Barbarian Village|
|Lamp XP rewards|| 1,000 |
|Taskmasters||Rat Burgiss, Reldo Trimmly, Vannaka|
The Varrock Tasks are the tasks relating to northern Misthalin. The Varrock Tasks were the second group of tasks, released on 10 September 2007. The easy NPC for these tasks is Rat Burgiss found down the road south of Varrock at the icon. Note that even though non-members can complete the easy tasks, they cannot talk to Rat Burgiss to claim the rewards. They can, however, talk to Explorer Jack in Lumbridge to claim coins for the rewards they can complete. The medium NPC for these tasks is Reldo found in the Varrock Palace Library at the icon. The hard NPC for these tasks is Vannaka found in the Edgeville Dungeon at the icon. They will be indicated by a icon on your minimap and the world map.
(B)=Boosts Possible, (M)=Minimum Requirement, (O)=Obtainable Within Area, (R)=Recommended, (S)=Started Quest
|Items Needed||Members Only|
|1. Strike a Pose||Have Thessalia show you what outfits you can wear||None||None||None||No|
|2. Essential Facilitator||Have Aubury teleport you to the essence mine||None||None||None||No|
|3. Doing the Ironing||Mine some iron ore in the Mining spot, south-east of Varrock||None||15||Pickaxe||No|
|4. Plank You Very Much||Get a plank made at the sawmill||None||None||
|5. Making Learning Fun!||Enter the second level of the Stronghold of Security||None||None||None||No|
|6. Jumping-off Point||Jump over the fence, south of Varrock||None||13||None||Yes|
|7. Lumbering Around||Chop down a dying tree in the lumber yard||None||None||Hatchet||Yes|
|8. Read All About It||Buy a copy of the Varrock Herald||None||None||50 Coins||No|
|9. Dog and Bone||Give a stray dog a bone||None||None||Bones||No|
|10. Pot Stop||Make a bowl on the pottery wheel then fire it in the pottery oven, all in Gunnarsgrunn||None||8||Soft Clay||No|
|11. On the Ragged Edge||Enter Edgeville Dungeon using the entrance to the south of Edgeville bank||None||None||None||No|
|12. Relocation, Relocation, Relocation||Move your player-owned house portal to a different location using the Varrock estate agent||None||None||5000 Coins (M)||Yes|
|13. It Belongs in a Museum||Speak to Haig Halen after obtaining at least 50 Kudos||Various (or just The Dig Site complete)||None||50 Kudos||Yes|
|14. Journey to the Centre of the Earth Altar||Enter the Earth Altar using an earth tiara or talisman||None||None||No|
|15. Jackanory||Have Elsie tell you a story||None||None||Cup of tea||Yes|
|16. Limey||Mine some limestone near Paterdomus, the temple to the east of Varrock||None||10||Pickaxe||Yes|
|17. Sherpa's Delight||Catch a trout in the river to the east of Barbarian Village||None||20||No|
|18. Stick the Knife In||Venture through the cobwebbed corridor in Varrock Sewers||None||None||None||No|
|19. King of the Castle||Find the highest point in Varrock||None||None||None||No|
- Task #1, #8: Thessalia's store and the seller of Varrock Herald are located at the square.
- Task #2: Aubury is in the magic shop south of the east bank.
- Task #9: Stray dogs walk randomly within Varrock. They are seen to patrol the east and west bank quite frequently. If you have done A Stray in a Manger, feed the dog you get rewarded from the event, which can be in Draynor, Falador, Varrock or Al-Kharid.
- Task #12: The housing agent is north of the entrance to the Varrock Sewers.
- Task #13: Haig Halen is on the ground floor of the Varrock Museum. In order to get 50 kudos, you need to have done various quests, as the kudos earned on the bottom floor only adds up to 28. See the Varrock Museum for information on obtaining Kudos.
- Task #15: Elsie is located on the first floor (2nd floor American) of the Church of Saradomin in East Varrock. She wants a cup of tea (This can be obtained from the tea stall southeast of the East Varrock bank)
- Task #18: The cobwebbed corridor is past the web leading to the red spiders in the Varrock Sewers, after walking past the zombies and ghosts.
- Task #19: The highest point of Varrock is Varrock Palace guard tower. This is NW of the chapel, accessed from the bottom floor by the staircase west of the library. Climbing to the highest point of the chapel will also count as the highest point.
- Varrock armour 1 - When worn:
- Chance of smelting two bars at once when smelting ores up to and including steel in new Edgeville furnace. (Note that the two bars together count as only a single "use" when using the Ring of Forging.)
- Chance of Mining two ores at once when Mining ores up to and including coal.
- A higher chance at receiving Skull Sceptre part drops from monsters in the Stronghold of Security. Also, the Skull Sceptre has 10 charges instead of 5 when the staff is made while the armour is worn.
- 16 Battlestaves may be bought from Zaff's staff shop on a daily basis.
- Option to change your Varrock teleport to the entrance of the Grand Exchange by talking to Rat Burgiss.
- An Antique lamp - 1,000 experience in any skill at least at level 30.
|Task||Description||Quest(s) Needed||Skill(s) Needed||Items Needed||Members Only|
|1. Double-strength Weaksauce||Have the Apothecary in Varrock make you a Strength potion.||None||None||No|
|2. Champion!||Enter the Champions' Guild||33 Quest Points||None||None||No|
|3. What Lies Below?||Take the Dagon'Hai shortcut to the Chaos altar||What Lies Below||42||Yes|
|4. With a Ten-foot Pole||Get a full complement of Rats on your Rat pole||Rat Catchers (S)||None||Yes|
|5. Can't Make an Omelette||Escape from the spider lair in Varrock Sewers with some Red spiders' eggs||None||None||None||No|
|6. Point of En-tree||Use the Spirit tree northeast of the Grand Exchange||Tree Gnome Village||None||None||Yes|
|7. Unlocking Your Emotions||Perform the four Emotes from the Stronghold of Security||None||None||None||No|
|8. A Lick of Paint||Select a colour for a new Kitten||Gertrude's Cat||None||
Gertrude will not sell you a new kitten if you already have a kitten or cat with you or in your bank. However, if your cat is in the Menagerie of your Player-owned house, she will. Wear the ring so that you can charm her and select the colour.
|9. For Fast Transactions||Use the shortcut in the northwest corner of the Grand Exchange, near Edgeville.||None||21||None||Yes|
|10. You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry||Enter the A Soul's Bane rift||A Soul's Bane (S)||None||Rope||Yes|
|11. Return to Senntisten||Teleport to the Digsite using a Digsite pendant||The Dig Site||None||Yes|
|12. Promised the Earth||Enchant an Earth tiara on the Earth altar.||Rune Mysteries||9||No|
|13. Royale With Thieve||Pickpocket a Guard in the Varrock Palace courtyard||None||40||Yes|
|14. Like a Varrocket||Use the Teleport to Varrock spell||None||25||Varrock Teleport Runes||No|
|15. Challenge Vannaka||Get a Slayer task from Vannaka in the Edgeville Dungeon||None||60||None||Yes|
|16. Flatpack Backpack||Buy twenty Mahogany planks from the Sawmill operator in one transaction||None||None||
|17. Master Scrumper||Pick a White tree fruit from the White tree||Garden of Tranquillity||None||None||Yes|
|18. Engage||Use the hot air balloon to travel from Varrock to somewhere else.||Enlightened Journey||40||10 Willow Logs||Yes|
|19. Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!||Get a Cat training medal from Gertrude||Gertrude's Cat||None||None||Yes|
|20. Dial V For Varrock||Dial to the Fairy ring west of Varrock||Fairytale II - Cure a Queen (S)||None||Fairy ring code: D•K•R*Dramen staff or Lunar staff||Yes|
|21. The Body Shop||Browse through Oziach's Armour Shop in Edgeville.||Dragon Slayer||None||None||No|
- Task #1: Finish all of the dialogue including after you receive the potion or the achievement won't be updated.
- Task #3: The portal is near the east entrance, with a bit walking to the north.
- Task #4: Six rats need to be caught. These do not need to be caught in the same house as in the quest, though. Instead, it is suggested to be caught directly under the Sewers.
- Task #7: You must first complete the Stronghold of Security. The four emotes are Idea, Stomp, Flap and Slap Head.
- Task #8: You can get another cat and keep the one you have by storing the one you have in the menagerie in your player-owned-house. Also, you complete the task when the selection screen comes up: you can just walk away when this screen appears, and not have to buy a kitten, to complete the task. (Please note, this task cannot be currently completed as there is a bug with the chat options on selecting a kitten)
- Task #11: First, learn to make a digsite pendant at the Varrock Museum. You don't need to dig up another pendent to make into a digsite pendent, just enchant a ruby necklace after you learn the spell. (Note: During the quest Temple at Senntisten if you choose to teleport to the digsite using a Digsite pendant, this counts towards the task being completed.) Unpatched as of 7 April 2010
- Task #15: Vannaka is in the middle of the Edgeville Dungeon, the fastest way to reach him is to use the Agility shortcut from Varrock Sewers.
- Task #16: Using Special Mahogany Logs won't work. The Plank maker in Taverley does work.
- Task #17: White tree fruit is only available when Garden of Tranquility is finished.
- Task #18: It's wise to go to either Entrana or Taverley as you only need one normal log. You must do a voyage to Varrock first, which requires 10 Willow Logs. You cannot attempt the initial travel to Varrock with a clan avatar out.
- Task #19: Your character will say when your cat catches 100 rats. After this talk to Gertrude to get your medal. (It is recommended to catch the rats in West Ardougne as there are many rats to be found here. Another location could be the Varrock sewers, but this location is notably much slower.)(Catching rats with a kitten will take a very, very long time!)
- Task #20: The Fairy Ring Code is D-K-R.
- Task #21: Oziach's shop is located at the northwest of Edgeville.
Once the tasks are completed speak to Reldo to claim your reward (don't forget to bring your Varrock armour 1).
- Varrock armour 2 - In addition to the easy tasks' reward, when worn:
- 32 Battlestaves may be bought from Zaff's staffs store on a daily basis.
- Option to change your Varrock teleport to the Grand Exchange by talking to Reldo.
- An Antique lamp - 5,000 experience in any skill with a minimum level of 40.
The Assist system DOES NOT work for these tasks.
|Items Needed||Members Only|
|1. Burning Bush||Pick poison ivy from your bush Farming patch in Varrock near Champions guild.||None||70(B)||Poison ivy seeds||Yes|
|2. But It Won't Warp You Anywhere||Use the pipe shortcut in Varrock Sewers, near the moss giants||None||51||None||Yes|
|3. Lighten Up||Trade furs with the Fancy Dress Seller for a Dashing Cape.||None||None||2 Dashing Kebbit Furs|
|4. Put Your Smithing Hat On||Smith an adamant helm in the house next to Aubury's Rune Shop.||None||73(B)||1 Adamant bar|
|5. Kudos on the Kudos!||Speak to Orlando Smith or Mark Brodie when you have achieved 153 kudos.||Various||None||None||Yes|
|6. Who Ate All the Pie?||Talk to Romily Weaklax and give him a wild pie.||None||32||Chef's Hat (or Cooking cape)|
|7. Battle of the Elements||Craft an air battlestaff||None||66(B)|
|8. Changing Rooms||Give your player-owned house a fancy stone or tropical wood finish at the Varrock estate agent's||None||40||15,000 Coins (M)||Yes|
|9. Keeping Tabs on Varrock||Make a Varrock teleport tablet on a mahogany lectern (This can be done at another player's POH.)||None||25|
|Varrock Teleport Runes|
|10. Hand-Me-Downs||Obtain a new set of Family Crest gauntlets from Dimintheis||Family Crest||None||None||Yes|
|11. Waka-Waka-Waka||Make a waka canoe near Edgeville||None||57||None||No|
|12. Living on the Edge||Use the Home Teleport spell in the Ancient Magicks spellbook to teleport to Edgeville||Desert Treasure||None||None||Yes|
|13. Intersceptre||Use the skull sceptre to teleport to Barbarian Village||None||None||Skull Sceptre||No|
- Task #1: The farm patch is west of the Champion's Guild. Boosts will work for this task. (Pork Pies boost your farming level by 5, hence they are the best option. You only need to boost while planting and harvesting, so bring two pork pies.)
- Task #1, #4: The Spicy stew works for all tasks. It can grant anywhere from a -6 to a +6. However there is only a 1/60 chance to a +6. This allows level 64 farming for the bush (only for planting), and level 67 smithing for the helmet.
- Task #3: The Fancy-dress shop owner is located south-east of the eastern Varrock bank.
- Task #5: If 153 kudos have already been collected, just talk to Orlando. See the Varrock Museum for information on obtaining Kudos.
- Task #5: If completed The World Wakes, Orlando is replaced with Mark Brodie.
- Task #6: Romily Weaklax roams on the ground level of the Chef's Guild. Buy the pie at the Grand exchange, instead of making them yourself.
- Task #7: Air Orb and Battlestaff can be bought from Grand Exchange to complete Task.
- Task #8: If your POH is already decorated with a tropical wood or fancy stone finish, and you want to keep it like that, it would be cheapest to switch to a basic wood or stone finish and switch back to a tropical wood or fancy stone finish, costing between 20-30k. (Or, if you have completed Love story, Dark stone is the slightly cheaper alternative)
- Task #9: You can get this achievement on any Mahogany Eagle Lectern. Always double check to make sure it is gilded.
- Task #10: You need to first destroy your previous gauntlets if you still have them and then talk to Dimintheis again.
Once the tasks are completed speak to Vannaka to claim your reward (don't forget to bring your Varrock armour 2).
- Varrock armour 3 - In addition to the easy and medium tasks' reward, when worn:
- 64 Battlestaves are now available daily for purchase from Zaff's magic shop
- Access to new bank area in the Cooks' Guild ground floor with a range in the bank lobby
- Access the Cooks' Guild without a chef's hat
- Option to change your Varrock teleport to the Grand Exchange by talking to Vannaka.
- An Antique lamp - 10,000 experience in any skill with a minimum level of 50.
|Task||Description||Quest(s) needed||Skill(s) needed||Items needed|
|Stick a Bork In Him, He's Done||Defeat Bork||What Lies Below||None||Combat equipment, decent combat stats|
|Nomadness||Speak to Zimberfizz about swapping your Soul Wars cape for one of a different colour||Nomad's Requiem||None||None. Talking to Zimberfizz is enough, actually changing the cape colour, which would require having the cape in inventory, is not required.|
|Double Jointed||Complete a large job at the sawmill||None||80||Saw or Crystal saw|
|It All Adze Up||Using an inferno adze, incinerate a log cut from a tree you've grown in Varrock Palace's tree patch||All Fired Up|| 92 |
|Inferno adze (Firemaking boosts cannot be used to complete this task because the adze cannot incinerate a log cut from a tree if your Firemaking is lower than 92). Tree seed (Oak is the cheapest and will grow the fastest; a basket of five tomatoes can be used to protect it)|
|Mind Your Back||Get a member of the Dagon'hai's mind control spells to backfire on him||80||Tell Sil'as Dahcsnu you are the leader of the Dagon'hai and he will cast the spell on you. Can't be boosted to get to 80.|
|Red, Red Pies of Summer||Bake a summer pie in the Cooking Guild:||None||95 (B)||Strawberry (NOT in guild), Watermelon (NOT in guild), Cooking apple (in guild), Pie dish (in guild), Pot of flour (sold in guild), Jug (of water) (in guild)|
|Splitting Headache||Defeat a skeleton at (or pray at) Senntisten Altar with Soul Split enabled||Temple at Senntisten||92||None|
|A Bolt From the Blue||Smith and fletch ten rune bolts within Varrock:
|| 88 (B)|
|1 Rune bar, 10 Feathers and a hammer.|
|A Ton of Earth||Craft 100 or more earth runes simultaneously||None||78 (B)||Can be done with as low as 66 Runecrafting and a bit of luck . The explorer's ring's bonus runes ability will not help here; if you only crafted 100 or more runes due to the special effect it will not count, though you can still use the ring for some bonus runes while attempting this task.The use of Runecrafting pouch does not count.|
RewardsEditClaim your reward at Vannaka in the Edgeville Dungeon (don't forget to bring your Varrock armour 3).
- Varrock armour 4 - In addition to the easy, medium and hard tasks' reward:
- When worn:
- Five free bolt enchantments per day (up to and including ruby bolts)
- At all times:
- Zaff's apprentice, Naff, will sell you up to 80 battlestaves per day
- Varrock's estate agent offers half price housing costs
- Bork's charm and gem drops are doubled.
- Access to the log storage boxes near the Fired Up beacons.
- Option to change your Varrock teleport to the altar in northern Varrock by talking to Vannaka.
- Antique lamp - 3 x 40,000 experience in the skill of your choice level 88 and over.
- Antique lamp - 30,000 experience in the skill of your choice level 65 and over.
- Note: Stat boost won't work for the experience lamps.
- The Task Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! is a reference to a cult classic movie of the same name. (May also be a reference to the song, "Faster Kill Pussycat" by Brittany Murphy.)
- When at the sawmill using Mahogany Planks for the Flatpack Backpack task, using Special Logs to transform your inventory logs into planks will not complete the task. It is not known whether this is intentional or not.
- When the Defender of Varrock quest was released, the Kudos requirement remained at 153 instead of the new total.
- From sometime no later than 13 May 2009, until the 19 May 2009 update, the Ancients Home Teleport did not register, making it impossible to complete the tasks.
- The reward from all armours used to include better prices when buying and selling from Varrock stores, but was replaced with a higher chance at receiving Skull Sceptre parts on 2 September 2009 along with the Personalised Shops Update.
- There was a bug on 25 May 2011, the task A Bolt From the Blue does not register making 10 rune bolts and adding feathers to the bolts. Therefore in order to complete the task you must have 10 rune bars and use the "x" option then select "100" once all 100 rune bolts (unf) have been made you can click to add feathers and the task will then be complete. This has been fixed.
- The task Dial v for Varrock may be a play on the Hitchcock film Dial m for Murder.
- The task Royale with Thieve is a reference to the quote "Royale with Cheese", said in the movie "Pulp Fiction"
- The task But It Won't Warp You Anywhere is a reference to Mario games in which pipes can be used to warp to different areas.
- The task Waka-Waka-Waka is a reference to the arcade game Pacman where Pacman makes the same sound when he eats a dot.
- The task Relocation, Relocation, Relocation is a reference to the phrase "Location, Location, Location."
- The task It Belongs In a Museum may be a reference to a quote in Indiana Jones: The last Crusade where he continually says that the Cross of Coronado "belongs in a museum".
- The task Engage may make reference to Star Trek. The required quest makes several references to the television series and "engage" is the order for the helmsman of the starship to activate the engines.
- The task Double-strength Weaksauce may be a reference to the dystopian novel Ninteen Eighty-Four, in which a new language called "Newspeak" is used for shortening vocabulary. For example, the term "Double-plus ungood" means "Very, very bad" in English.
- The task Journey to the Centre of the Earth Altar is a reference to the book "Journey to the Centre of the Earth".
- The task You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry is a reference to the movie "The Incredible Hulk".