|Release date||24 September 2002 (Update)|
|Sells items?||Slayer Shop|
|Examine|| He looks dangerous!|
Vannaka (formerly called the combat instructor on Tutorial Island) is a medium-level Slayer master in RuneScape. Vannaka is also one of the NPCs associated with the Varrock Tasks. His mastery in swordsmanship and combat is shown by his high combat level of 146, strength level of 112, and the fact that he wields both a steel two-handed sword and dragon square shield at the same time. According to Duradel, another Slayer Master, Vannaka was once a student of his, and does not wish to challenge him due to his master's great skill.
He instructed new players in fighting with a shortsword/wooden shield and a bow back when Tutorial Island was still accessible.
Vannaka can be found in Edgeville Dungeon southeast of the wilderness entrance at the slayer master icon . He gives Slayer assignments to members level 60 or higher. He is now one of the few Slayer Masters with no Quest requirements, along with Turael and Mazchna.
After completion of the Varrock Tasks, he can change players' Varrock Teleport location between Varrock Square and the main Grand Exchange entrance. However, he can only do this in person and not via the NPC Contact spell.
After the Smoking Kills quest, players can receive Slayer reward points for completing slayer tasks, based on how many tasks players have accomplished in a row. Completion of a task assigned by Vannaka will grant you:
- 4 slayer points per normal task
- 20 for every 10th
- 60 for every 50th
This means that if using Vannaka over the long term, an average of 6.4 points will be granted per task.
|Monster||Number||Combat Level||Slayer Experience||Slayer Level Required||Weakness|
|Aberrant spectre||60|| Thrown weapons|
|Ankou||1|| Earth spells|
|Basilisk||40|| Air spells|
|Bloodveld||50|| Thrown weapons|
|Brine rat||47|| Fire spells|
|Crocodile||1|| Air spells|
|Dust devil||65|| Crush|
|Earth warrior||1|| Water spells|
|Ghoul||1|| Fire spells|
|Green dragon||1|| Arrows|
|Harpie bug swarm||33|| Crush|
|Hill giant||1|| Air spells|
|Ice giant||1|| Fire spells|
|Ice warrior||1|| Fire spells|
|Infernal mage||45|| Arrows|
|Jungle horror||1|| Water spells|
|Lesser demon||1|| Bolts|
|Mogre||32|| Air spells|
|Moss giant||1|| Slash|
|Ogre||1|| Air spells|
|Otherworldly being||1|| Thrown weapons|
|Sea snake||1|| Slash|
|Shadow warrior||1|| Air spells|
|Vampyre (monster)||1|| Fire spells|
|Werewolf||1|| Water spells|
K'ril Tsutsaroth is classified as a greater demon; thus, killing him counts towards any greater demon Slayer Task, and also allows a player to take advantage of the abilities of a black mask or Slayer helmet, if they have a greater demon Slayer task. Players will earn 350.5 Slayer experience if they slay K'ril Tsutsaroth on their greater demon slayer task. Before 31 December, K'ril Tsutsaroth was classified as a lesser demon.
NOTE: Slayer masters assign higher-levelled monsters more frequently if the player's combat level is high.
Vannaka will occasionally (or randomly) offer a special task in place of a regular slayer task. The player can decline to take the special task without penalty. If the player accepts the special task, completing the task:
- Earns 4000 extra slayer experience.
- Earns 14 Slayer reward points, if the player has completed the Smoking Kills quest.
- Counts as a task for the player's consecutive task count, which is used for slayer reward points.
Vannaka's special task is for the player to bring him one scale from each of the four types of chromatic dragons:
- A perfect green dragon scale
- A perfect blue dragon scale
- A perfect red dragon scale
- A perfect black dragon scale
Both adult and baby chromatic dragons can drop perfect scales, which are only found while on this special task. It seems that you now always get the scale on the first kill of each type of dragon, and no further will drop when you already have one. Previously, multiple scales of the same type of dragon could be obtained, but extras were destroyed when the task was complete. It may still be possible to obtain multiple scales by killing several dragons before picking up the drops. Note that the challenge is only complete when the scales are given to Vannaka; simply collecting all four scales does not finish the task.
- His Strength level (112) was revealed in Postbag from the Hedge 14.
- Postbag from the Hedge 20 revealed that Vannaka was Duradel's student and had lost while attempting to challenge his master.
- In issue 27 of the God Letters, it is revealed that at one point, before he went into exile on tutorial island, Vannaka was a follower of Saradomin. Saradomin states "It is somewhat of a pity that his glory days are behind him, and his self-imposed exile to tutorial island is in place, for I would deeply desire to see him overcome his shame for his past actions, and take up his place at the vanguard of my holy warriors once again." It could be that the 'shame' Saradomin speaks of was Vannaka's defeat at the hands of Duradel, though what made Vannaka leave Saradomin's service and tutor under Duradel in the first place is still unknown. Vannaka was clearly in the army of Saradomin at one point, because Saradomin states he wishes him (Vannaka) to take up his (Vannaka's) place with His (Saradomin's) holy warriors once more.
- Vannaka is most well known because of his ability to wield a steel 2h sword, and a dragon sq shield at the same time. This issue was addressed by a player to Saradomin, who replied, "The fearsome Vannaka is one of the strongest warriors to ever grace this world, and as such he has the power to wield what would normally be considered to be a two handed sword single-handedly. This is a strength that most mortals do not posess, and it adds to his fearsome reputation as a great swordsman. It is somewhat of a pity that his glory days are behind him, and his self-imposed exile to tutorial island is in place, for I would deeply desire to see him overcome his shame for his past actions, and take up his place at the vanguard of my holy warriors once again. Perhaps the best we may see of him is his current role as Slayer Master and Combat Instructor, although I suspect his thirst for adventure may bring him back for one last battle, so that he may end his days in glory..." This indicates that Vannaka is a follower of the God of Order. Saradomin also responds, to the player's query of the kind of shield Vannaka wields, "The shield Vannaka wields is the mighty Square Shield of the Dragon, an ancient and powerful artefact possessed only by a few members of this world lucky enough to have found one. He has earnt the right to wield it many times over, and it is something of a trophy for him of past glories."
- It is assumed that Vannaka is a member of Legends Guild, because he can wield the Dragon Square Shield.
- Vannaka has not received a graphical update for his dragon sq shield or steel 2h sword.
|Fremennik Province Tasks||
|Lumbridge and Draynor Tasks||
|Seers' Village Tasks||
|Burthorpe and Taverley Tasks|
Tutorial Island Tutors
* Was removed with the RuneScape 2 update.