|“||I am Vanescula Drakan; sister to Lord Lowerniel Drakan: ruler of Morytania! Show some proper respect.||”|
|Release date||4 September 2006 (Update)|
|Quest NPC?||Darkness of Hallowvale - The Branches of Darkmeyer|
|Examine|| • She seems almost human.|
• Don't move. Maybe she won't be able to see you.
• Lord Drakan's sister.
During the quest Darkness of Hallowvale, (also Vanescula's first appearance) Vanescula's servant, Sarius Guile, stops Vanstrom Klause before he kills you to interject something about Vanescula's interest in a man named Safalaan.
In the RuneScape novel "Return to Canifis", It is revealed that she is immensely powerful, indeed more powerful than the Black Prince and possibly stronger than Lord Drakan himself. Also revealed in the novel is how she enjoys using creatures and people as "pawns" in her games with other vampyres; for example, she tricks Jerrod to kill the Wyrd, a creature under command of the Black Prince, that murdered dozens of civilians.
During The Branches of Darkmeyer Vanescula asks the player for help to defeat her siblings Ranis Drakan and Lord Drakan to take control over Darkmeyer. At the end of the quest, if she is asked about Safalaan she will say she killed him, but then berates you for your gullibility, implying that she was simply lying. She seems to be fairly interested in Safalaan's life.
Once the quest The Branches of Darkmeyer is completed, player may speak to Vanescula in order to change their vampyric name.
Nessie is a crying and scared child that comes out of a building during The Branches of Darkmeyer at a meeting point, supposedly arranged by Vanstrom Klause. When spoken to, however, Nessie reveals her identity and transforms into Vanescula Drakan.
- Her name appears to be a portmanteau of "Vanessa", a common female name, and "Dracula", a reference to the classic vampire novel.
- As of The Branches of Darkmeyer, Vanescula and Lord Drakan are the only two remaining Drakan siblings alive, after the deaths of their brothers Count Draynor and Ranis Drakan; the latter of whose death was directly caused by Vanescula herself.
- Vanescula's graphical make-over may be based on Carmilla from the Vampire Hunter Bloodlust movie.
- Although Vanescula is a vampyre, she seems to also be a traitor to the vampyre race and possibly a savior or Anti-Protagonist to the humans. For example, in the novel Return to Canifis, she tricks Jerrod into killing Wyrd, who killed many civilians. (It is confirmed that the novel is not related to the Myreque quests, but still an example.) Also, during Branches of Darkmeyer, she works with the player to help make the Blisterwood weapons to defeat vampyres such as Vanstrom Klause and killed her own brother, Ranis Drakan. She also said she wanted to use the book of Haemalchemy to teach the Vampyres how to survive without having to hurt the humans, so the humans can be set free. By doing so, she either intentionally, accidentally or out of boredom, helped the Myreque to make their job easier or using them as her pawns to take over Morytania for herself.
- Vanescula's examine text in vampyre form, "Don't move. Maybe she won't be able to see you." is a reference to the movie Jurassic Park. In the movie, it is believed that Tyrannosaurus had vision based around movement, and thus couldn't see prey if it didn't move. This prompts the protagonist to say a similar line when faced against the film's (female) Tyrannosaurus.
- Vanescula is briefly controlled by the player after the fight with Vanstrom to defeat his Bloodveld guardians.
- When you plege loyalty to her, you can say: I plead guilty to the drakan family, and she would say "Can't you do anything right?" and you can then choose to say "I devote my serviettes, band and flowers to the Drakan before me" and she'll reply "How did you even... oh never mind. It's only the mark that matters."
|Return to Canifis|
Rulers and Monarchs
|Miscellania and Etceteria|
|Ape Atoll and Karamja|
|Land of Snow|
King Alvis • King Veldaban • Hreidmar • King rat • Sea Troll Queen • Queen Black Dragon • King Black Dragon • Spider Queen • The Pescallion • Walrus • Pest Queen • Queen of Sunrise • Fairy Queen • Penance Queen • Frog Prince • Frog princess • Flora • King Arthur • The Queen