|Also called||Vampire Slayer|
|Release date||28 January 2001 (Update)|
Vampyre Slayer (formerly called Vampire Slayer) is a short free-to-play quest that takes place in Draynor Village. The player is asked to slay the terrifying vampyre count terrorising the village that lives in a large mansion just north of Draynor, with the help of an experienced vampyre slayer.
The people of Draynor village live in constant terror. Their numbers are dwindling, all due to a foul creature known as a vampyre, lurking in the manor to the north.
|Start point||Morgan in Draynor Village.|
|Member requirement||Free to play|
|Length||Short (~8 minutes)|
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.|
|Enemies to defeat||
A vampyric threatEdit
Talk to Morgan in Draynor Village. His house is just north of Ned's. He will tell you that a vampyre, by the name of Count Draynor, is causing distress to the village locals by killing them, leaving the village in constant fear, and asks you to get rid of him. Agree to help to start the quest.
Morgan will tell you to go to the Blue Moon Inn in Varrock and locate Dr. Harlow who, he says, was a former vampyre slayer. Before heading to Varrock, climb the stairs and search the north-west drawers to receive some garlic.
Go to the Blue Moon Inn, located just north of the southern Varrock entrance, there will be a sign on the building with the blue moon logo. Once inside, talk to Dr. Harlow, who appears to be very drunk. Tell him that Morgan needs his help. He will want you to buy him a beer.
Talk to the bartender in the room and buy a beer for 2 coins, and then talk to Dr. Harlow again. He will tell that vampyres can only be properly killed by hammering a wooden stake through their hearts and as such will give you a stake and a stake hammer. Harlow also advises using garlic, which apparently weakens vampyres.
Now that you have the required items, you can now fight the vampyre! Make sure you at least have the stake hammer and the stake. A weapon, armour and food is highly recommended for low-levelled players. The garlic is optional, however, it greatly weakens Count Draynor, so it is recommended to bring some.
Make your way back to Draynor Village, and head north to the Draynor Manor. Be wary as some of the trees are aggressive. Once inside, go through the eastern door towards the large stairs that lead downwards, and go down them. There will be a coffin at the back of the room. Open it and a cutscene will play of you attempting to stake Count Draynor, but it does not go in deep enough. He will teleport out of his coffin and attack you. If you have garlic, he will become very weak and can be more easily defeated. If you don't have any, every time you hit him for 0 damage, Count Draynor will heal himself for 10 life points. If he is not defeated fast enough, he will return to his coffin.
It is possible to kill Count Draynor with a low level using very low level gear, but be careful to keep your health above 500 at all times. A combat potion might be helpful.
If the count returns to his coffin or if you leave for any reason, you must return to Dr. Harlow and obtain another stake before you attempt to kill him again.
Count Draynor DrakanEdit
When you defeat the Count, you will automatically strike the stake with the hammer. If you don't automatically strike the stake, try using it manually on the Count. He will fall on his knees and turn into a statue, which then collapses. The vampyre has been killed! You may leave his tomb and head back to Draynor Village.
Go back upstairs, then head into the room immediately east, and exit through the door in the north of this room (adjacent the shovel on the floor). Return to Morgan to finish the quest. He will be very grateful for saving Draynor Village, and its inhabitants will recognise you as a hero from now on!
- Music unlocked
Required for completingEdit
Completion of Vampyre Slayer is required for the following:
- Desert Tasks:
- In RuneScape Classic and in early RuneScape 2, Dr. Harlow was originally located at the Jolly Boar Inn. He was later moved to the Blue Moon Inn, because the Jolly Boar Inn was close to the Wilderness and players would sometimes get lost looking for it and enter the Wilderness by mistake.
- In RuneScape Classic, Count Draynor was level 43. This was switched to 34 when RuneScape 2 was released, and again to 37 after a major update to the free to play beginner's quests.
- This was the first ever quest to be released in RuneScape after the beta testing period, thus making it the second quest in RuneScape's history.
- If you open the coffin before starting the quest, and you are killed by Count Draynor, instead of dying he will place you into a small cell and he says that he is "Saving you for later..." You can escape the cell by exiting through the crack in the wall inside the cell. This, however, can only be done once, as every other time a chat message saying, "The vampyre decides you're not worth snacking on and kills you." is generated instead.
- On 31 August 2011, all relevant content named 'Vampire' was changed to 'Vampyre', except for this quest. This happened later on 6 September 2011.
- During the release of the Battle of Lumbridge, a new chat option appears if you try to start the quest, talking about the battle going on between Saradomin and Zamorak. However, even after the battle, he still refers to them as if they are still battling. This has yet to be fixed.
|Miscellaneous||Quick guide • Transcript|
|Lores and Histories||