This article is about the specific type of attackable monster. For general information about the race, see Vampyre (race).
|Release date||14 October 2004 (Update)|
|Combat level||61, 72, 77|
|XP per kill||160, 200, 240|
|Slayer XP||40, 50, 60|
|Assigned by||Mazchna or Achtryn, Vannaka|
|Always drops||Vampyre dust|
|Examine text||It looks really hungry! (level 61 and 77) / Where did that come from? (level 72)|
Vampyres are dangerous creatures found in the Haunted Woods east of Canifis and near the Abandoned Mine. They are aggressive, and will attack anyone. They appear to be a weaker, more animalistic creature then the other vampyres, and can be harmed by all weapons.
They will occasionally bite players' necks, which can sometimes drain combat stats and non-combat stats and will cause the vampyre to recover a small amount of life points. Unlike other types of Vampyre that are vulnerable only to silver weapons, such as Vyrewatch, these vampyres are vulnerable to all attacks.
Hunting and rewards
Vampyres are usually hunted for the slayer skill. The main reason to hunt vampyres is their relatively high life points and consistently aggressive nature, which ensures good experience per hour, since a player will rarely run out of vampyres to fight. However, the player must have a sufficient defence level, protection prayer and/or healing items to avoid dying. A holy symbol greatly helps when fighting vampyres, as it weakens the vampyres' accuracy and damage.
Vampyres offer mediocre to decent value drops, depending on the price of vampyre dust. Before the discovery of Summoning, vampyre dust had no use and most players refused to collect it. The few who did allegedly made some money in the early days of Summoning, when players levelling up the skill would buy the dust at high prices. The level 72 vampyres are also known to drop clue scrolls very often, a clue scroll is almost guaranteed if you spend at least 15 minutes fighting vampyres.
A good spot to kill vampyres is the south-east corner of the woods, just outside the wall gate of Port Phasmatys. Using a cannon in this area would be useful because there are many safe spots, which include the huge mushrooms and trees, where player may hide and not receive damage.
The level 72 vampyres spawn when a player nears any of the non-attackable spiders in the Haunted Woods. Players can take advantage of this to cause numerous vampyres to spawn.
Players hunting vampyres for Slayer tasks may wish to hunt the vampyres at the Abandoned Mine, due to the presence of leeches in the Haunted Woods which can be frustrating to deal with when trying to finish a task quickly.
Characteristics and history
Vampyres are savage beasts closely related to other members of the vampyre race, but they are considerably less intelligent, and have much less control over their powers. They are driven by their hunger and a kind of primal rage, unlike the other vampyric beings. These Vampyres can be harmed with any weapon. It is not known why they differ so much from the other vampyres.
They were used as warriors by Zamorak since the beginning of God Wars, although new evidence has shown they were merely allies with Zamorak and not actually followers as once believed. They were used again in large numbers in Misthalin/Morytania conflicts during the 4th age. Once the River Salve became a barrier to conquest, however, need for vampyre armies diminished.[ ]
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Vampyre dust 1 Always 510
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Black hatchet 1 Uncommon 282
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Chaos rune 3 Common 123 Death rune 2 Common 186 Earth rune 4 Uncommon 32 Blood rune 1–2 Uncommon 166–332
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 6,370 kills.
1 charm is dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Belladonna seed 1 Uncommon 34 Harralander seed 1 Uncommon 9 Irit seed 1 Uncommon 66 Jangerberry seed 1 Uncommon 3 Limpwurt seed 1 Uncommon 870 Marrentill seed 1 Uncommon 12 Bittercap mushroom spore 1 Uncommon 10 Poison ivy seed 1 Uncommon 52 Strawberry seed 1 Uncommon 335 Tarromin seed 1 Uncommon 4 Toadflax seed 1 Uncommon 623 Whiteberry seed 1 Uncommon 29 Wildblood seed 1 Uncommon 40 Cactus seed 1 Rare 27 Avantoe seed 1 Rare 1,989 Morchella mushroom spore 2 Rare 588 Watermelon seed 1 Rare 1,963 Spirit weed seed 1 Rare 345 Kwuarm seed 1 Rare 311 Dwarf weed seed 1 Rare 36,586 Lantadyme seed 1 Very rare 34,200 Cadantine seed 1 Very rare 2,038 Torstol seed 1 Very rare 70,221 Ranarr seed 1 Very rare 877 Snapdragon seed 1 Very rare 2,360
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Grimy marrentill 1 Common 43 Grimy ranarr 1 Uncommon 2,169 Grimy tarromin 1 Uncommon 225 Grimy guam 1 Uncommon 516 Grimy harralander 1 Uncommon 612 Grimy irit 1 Rare 1,772 Grimy kwuarm 1 Rare 2,557 Grimy avantoe 1 Rare 4,171 Grimy cadantine 1 Rare 2,538 Grimy dwarf weed 1 Very rare 8,069 Grimy lantadyme 1 Very rare 7,733
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 15 Common Not sold Clue scroll (medium) 1 Uncommon Not sold Earth talisman 1 Rare 785 Nature talisman 1 Rare 255 Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold
Rare drop table drops
|Show/hide rare drop table|
- Count Draynor, who is involved in the Vampyre Slayer quest.
- Revenant vampyre, the ghost of a slain vampyre during the God Wars who is located in the Forinthry Dungeon.
- Sinister Stranger, a vampyre found in the fishing contest area in Hemenster. He is unlike this type of Vampyre and is more like a Dracula type, with weakness to garlic.
- Dessous, a powerful vampyre.
- Ruantun, a heavily weakened vampyre found in Draynor Sewers, who assists the player in Desert Treasure with making a silver pot to summon Dessous.
- After the Vampyres' graphical update, some players mistakenly thought there was a graphical glitch in which the upper arms were attached to the body; this is however, not a glitch - it is clearly a wing appendage under their arms, as they are after all, bat-like creatures.
- Vampyres were graphically updated on 17 August 2011.
- The different levels of vampyre each have different sounds when attacking, but they all have the same sound when attempting to bite you.
- They appear to wear a damaged version of a Vampyre Juvinate's outfit.
- Vampyres used to be called vampires, but this was changed on 31 August 2011 in a hidden update for an unknown reason. Not even Mod Ana (Developer of The Branches of Darkmeyer) knows why.