This page is a list of upcoming RuneScape updates.
Augmenting dyed equipmentEdit
Mod Ramen is working on making it possible to augment dyed tier 90 armour and weapons. It will be possible to augment items that have already had dye applied to them. Augmented dyed equipment will not feature the cogs associated with most augmented items (they will look identical to non-augmented versions). He is aiming to have this update ready for release some time around the middle of September.
Augmentable skilling toolsEdit
The addition of augmentable pickaxes for Mining, which was dropped and replaced by augmentable Fishing tools during the initial release of Invention content for non-combat skills, was planned to be released alongside the Mining and Smithing rework. Despite the rework being postponed, augmentable pickaxes could still be released in September as the code for mining had already been updated in preparation for the rework, making it possible to implement augmentation for pickaxes. Jagex are also looking at adding more augmentable devices for skills which do not involve use of tools e.g. Smithing and Crafting.
Mining and Smithing reworkEdit
A rework of Mining and Smithing was planned for September 2016, however the rework has since been postponed to 2017 due to player feedback. The following information about Jagex's plans for the rework were revealed during two livestreams before they made the decision to push back the rework.
On 4 August 2016 Mod Jack made a post on the RuneScape Official Forums and on Reddit to begin discussions about re-evaluating what players wanted to see in the Mining and Smithing rework. From this they hope to reuse acceptable elements of the pre-existing plans for the rework as well as create new designs or take suggestions to fully meet with requirements for the rework.
On 6 May 2016, the first of a series of Mining/Smithing rework polls was released, to gauge player interest and what the community wanted from a rework. From this survey Jagex found that players wanted Mining to remain a mainly AFK skill; for the Mining level cap not to be increased to 120; and for Mining and Smithing to involve keeping and using ores rather than drop training. The main aims of the rework are to bring the Mining and Smithing levels required to use ores in line with the Defence levels required to use the weapons and armours created from them; to add a reward space for future content; and to make Mining more exciting and less competitive. In a livestream on 14 June 2016 Jagex revealed their plans for the rework. It is proposed that the Mining and Smithing levels required for existing ores will be reduced and that new ores will be added in their place at higher levels:
|Ore||Current Mining level||Proposed new Mining level||Proposed new Smithing level|
Proposed new ores:
|New ore||Mining level||Smithing level|
As part of the rework all ore and smithable items will be removed from monsters' drop tables. Attention will be paid to monsters that will lost most wealth from the removal of adamant and rune drops: their drops will be replaced with materials that help with Mining and Smithing where necessary. Jagex will also be replacing these items in clue scroll, crystal key, crystal triskelion, and boss monster drop tables. The new necrite, invictum and aetherium ores, bars and equipment will not be obtainable as drops.
There will also be changes to some existing training methods. Due to decreases in the tier of mithril, adamant, and runite, Smithing experience gains in Artisans Workshop and Lava Flow Mine will be reduced. Blast Furnace's resource return rate will be rebalanced to take into account changes in coal requirements. Seren stones will remain mostly the same, but smelting corrupted ore may give a lower experience rate. Mining familiars will no longer giving a Mining level boost, but will instead increase the amount of damage done to rocks. There will not be new divine rocks, but the existing ones may be altered.
A rework of the Mining and Smithing skills was first mentioned at RuneFest 2013 by Mod Jack. The project was pursued again after it being voted the most wanted update by long-term players currently on a break and third most popular by current players.
The mechanics of Mining will be reworked so that rocks have a "capacity" mechanic, similar to life points. When a player mines a rock they will have a chance to either hit or critically hit the rock. A successful hit will deal damage to the rock and award the player Mining experience. A critical hit will deal greater damage to the rock's capacity and award ore and bonus Mining experience. Reducing a rock to zero capacity will reward the player with a bulk amount of Mining experience and at least one ore, if they have passed a sufficient threshold of damage dealt. It is intended that capacity will be per player, though technical investigation of this possibility is still underway.
Rocks will also have a "hardness" value indicating how difficult it is to mine them, with higher level rocks having increased hardness. The speed mechanic of pickaxes will be removed; instead higher tier pickaxes will deal increased damage to rocks' capacity. Pickaxes will have a "penetration" value indicating how easily they can overcome a rock's hardness. Mining a rock with a higher hardness than a pickaxe's penetration value will make critical hits less likely, so the player will receive less ore and have a lower experience rate.
There will be new pickaxes for each of the new types of ore. Additionally there will be a consumable pickaxe giving a greatly increased rate of mining. It will be possible to smith this at level 99 Smithing; it is intended for training post-99 Mining. Crystal pickaxes will be removed and players who own them will be refunded 4,000 harmonic dust and a dragon pickaxe. A dragon pickaxe will instead be required to make the aetherium pickaxe. It will be possible to use harmonic dust to buff the new pickaxes to provide extra of the new Smithing secondaries.
Another potential addition shown in the first Mining and Smithing rework livestream was mining shafts. These are not currently being developed and will not be released with the initial rework. In this content players would explore mine shafts to search for ores. The mine shafts would be procedurally generated limited instances allowing several players to explore a mine shaft simultaneously, though the mine shaft would not appear the same to all of them. Delving deeper into the mines would grant the player higher level ores but also increase the risk involved. Exploring mine shafts could result in non-safe death to the player. The following mining shaft levels were suggested:
- Basic levels (1-3) - up to adamantite ore available, little danger but little to explore.
- Early levels (4-6) - increased chance of rare ores, bonus hit chance to gathering ore and small risk.
- Level 7-9 - increased hit chance to gathering ore; reduced chance to spawn common ores and increased hit chance to gathering ore; greater sense of exploration (no paths already opened) and moderate risk from monsters, environmental danger and tunnel collapse.
- Level 10+ - superior hit chance to gathering ore and best chance to discover rare ores, greater sense of exploration and high risk from dangers.
In the initial livestream Jagex also suggested that they could add more types of pickaxe. Examples given were two handed pickaxes, with a poor rate of ore but superior experience per hour, and dual wield pickaxes, with a superior rate of ore but poorer experience per hour. However, these are not going to be included in the initial rework; and different plans for new tiers of pickaxes were revealed in the second rework livestream.
Smelting will be altered so that more ores are required to make bars. Coal will only be required for lower tier bars; new secondary ingredients will be required for the new bars. It is intended that this will cause Smithing to introduce fewer items into the economy while maintaining the same experience rates. The experience curve for Smithing is intended to make it so that it is always more beneficial to smith the best tier items available to the player. The new bar recipes will be:
|Bar||Primary ingredient||Secondary ingredient|
|Bronze bar||1 copper ore||1 tin ore|
|Iron bar||2 iron ore||None|
|Steel bar||2 iron ore||1 coal|
|Mithril bar||2 mithril ore||1 coal|
|Adamant bar||2 adamant ore||1 imcandum|
|Rune bar||2 runite ore||1 imcandum|
|Orichalcum||3 orichalcum ore||1 dragonsblood|
|Necrite||4 necrite ore||None|
|Invictum||5 invictum ore||None|
|Aetherium||6 aetherium ore||None|
As more ores will be required for smelting, players will be able to create storage crates to carry ores. Storage crates will be automatically filled when mining and the ores contained within them will be used directly when smelting and smithing. It will be possible to empty a storage crate into the backpack or bank. There will be a crate for each tier of new ore (orichalcum, necrite, invictum, and aetherium) which will be made from the ore from the tier below.
Smithing will be updated to include masterwork Smithing, which will involve using hard-to-make ingredients to create items with higher levels and stats, as well as the existing standard Smithing. Bars created from standard smithing may be spent on obtaining and completing work orders. These will give the best Smithing experience but no items. Players will unlock new kinds of work order with a maximum of 4 bars being required to complete the tasks. The player will be able to become a master of smithing both particular types of item and particular tiers of item by smithing a number of items of a type/tier, which will unlock benefits when smithing the items.
Masterwork Smithing will involve using untradeable tertiary ingredients, obtained only from Mining, or bars to make standard items. These items can then be broken down to make folded bars which can be smithed into masterwork items. These will include the new 70+ Smithing armours. The proposed new necrite, invictum and aetherium armour sets will include full helmets, platebodys, platelegs, shields, scimitars, gloves and boots. These items will be tank armour but will have lower stats than those obtained from PvM at the equivalent tier and take longer to get, to maintain viability of monster drops. Aetherium armour will also have a life point boost. It will also be possible to smith new pickaxes for each of the tiers. The masterwork combat equipment will be tradeable and augmentable.
By using smithed masterwork items as well items smithed from orichalcum and dragon equipment on the dragon forge it will be possible to make honed masterwork items which will have additional stat bonuses.
Stats of the new masterwork and honed masterwork armour:
|Type||Standard set||Masterwork set||Honed masterwork set|
|Necrite||level 62||level 65||level 68|
|Invictum||level 72||level 75||level 78|
|Aetherium||level 82||level 85||level 88|
Quests and eventsEdit
The final four quests of the Sliske quest series are being released in 2016 as part of what Jagex are calling Sliske's Countdown, alongside the God Scoreboard. Nomad's Elegy was released on 15 February, and Kindred Spirits was released on 23 May. The remaining quests are:
Fate of the Gods IIEdit
15 Year Anniversary CelebrationsEdit
15 Year Anniversary Celebrations marking 15 years since the creation of RuneScape will be ongoing throughout 2016. In addition in-game celebrations, these will feature:
- Re-opening of RuneScape Classic for the whole year.
- Creation of a documentary, RuneScape - 15 Years of Adventure, about the history of RuneScape, which was intended for release in Spring 2016.
Bounty Hunter reworkEdit
Ninja updates and fixesEdit
This week's patch notesEdit
The following fixes will be released in the week beginning 30 August 2016:
Other planned fixes and updatesEdit
- Mod Ramen is looking into converting item pets into interface pets in his personal project time. An override for the Vitalis pet will be added when this conversion happens. Mod Ramen has started the work to convert Vitalis to an interface pet and to prevent players from getting duplicates of it, this is aimed to be released on 30 August 2016.
- Mod Orion is working on making cosmetic overrides for god books during his personal project time. Players will be able to use different recolours if they have created the corresponding god books. Additional colours will be available if the player has all other recolours unlocked.
- Mod Doctor is developing some improvements for player-owned houses in his personal project time. These include:
- Adding a toggle for the "There's no place like home" loading screen which is displayed when entering a house. It was initially planned to remove the loading screen, however this idea was altered due to player feedback.
- Adding an option to replace door hotspots with walls to increase customisation of room layout.
- Customisation of furniture hotspot's positions and rotation within a room. Players will still be restricted to placing types of furniture within the corresponding room.
- Ability to move rooms without losing their contents.
- Mod Dolan is working on graphically updating amulets, necklaces, and blurite weapons.
Catherby and White Wolf Mountain graphical reworkEdit
A graphical update for Catherby and White Wolf Mountain is planned for 30 August 2016. The rework will slightly alter the layout of Catherby, adding some new low-level Thieving stalls to the area, and add more levels and height to White Wolf Mountain.
Crablet plunder is an update planned for September 2016.
The ninja team will be starting work on an update for banks after they complete the development of Deathmatch and the Bounty Hunter rework, some time around the middle of September. This will include a system to allow placeholders and improved search/filtering functionality. The bank update is aimed for release around the summer of 2017, and will be preceded by beta testing.
Currency pouch expansionEdit
Mod Asherz is working an update to expand the currency pouch. This will involve making all currency objects variables and adding a new interface to the currency pouch, in which the currencies may be stored.
The following currencies will be stored in the currency pouch: reaper points, Penguin Hide and Seek points, Fish Flingers tokens, morale points, archery tickets, Agility arena tickets, gold and silver Castle Wars tickets, pieces of eight, Gnome Restaurant reward tokens, Runecrafting guild tokens, fist of guthix tokens, trading sticks, Brian points from Flash Powder Factory, honour Points, investment and reward credits from Mobilising Armies, pizazz points, produce points, Stealing Creation points, thaler, Vinesweeper points, Void Knight commendation points, zeal points, Barbarian Assault role points, ecto-tokens, tokkul, teci, rare item tokens, anagogic orts, sliskelion pieces, Dungeoneering tokens, Runespan points, co-op points, Slayer reward points, Jadinko Lair favour points, hanky points, respect from Artisans Workshop, and Warrior guild tokens.
The following currencies will not be stored in the currency pouch: zemomarks and silver pennies, crystal urchins from Prifddinas Waterfall Fishing, renown, and Noumenon Favour. This is due to these currencies not being part of or no longer being part of the game world, or due to them having uses other than as currency.
New game guideEdit
The Jagex-run Runescape Wiki will be removed from the website and will be replaced with a smaller game guide section.
- ^ Dev Q&A - Skilling Pets & Catherby Preview. 16 August 2016.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Ramen's Twitter account. 18 July 2016.
- ^ Dev Q&A - Meg-a May sneak peek!. 26 April 2016.*
- ^ August - The Month Ahead Q&A. 2 August 2016.*
- ^ Dev Q&A - Invention, Double XP & GameBlast!.*
- ^ RuneScape Podcast #78 - Invention.*
- ^ Invention Developer Q&A - RuneScape.*
- ^ Mining and Smithing Rework concept first look!. 14 June 2016.*
- ^ Mod Osborne. "Mining & Smithing Rework Postponed." 29 July 2016. RuneScape News.
- ^ Mining & Smithing - Intentions & Questions. 4 August 2016.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Liam's Twitter account.
- ^ Dev Q&A - Mining and Smithing Rework #2. 26 July 2016.*
- ^ Mod William. "2016 Reveals." RuneScape Forums.
- ^ Mod Osborne. "RuneFest - Updates of 2016." 3 October 2015. RuneScape News.
- ^ RuneScape - RuneFest 2015 - Updates of 2016.*
- ^ RuneScape BTS #183 - God Scoreboard and Sliske's Endgame.*
- ^ RuneScape BTS #177 - RuneScape 2016 Manifesto.*
- ^ Jagex. "Invention Skilling Update - God Wars Dungeon 2 Community Event." 14 March 2016. RuneScape News.
- ^ Mod Pi. "Design Doc." 21 July 2016. Developers' Blogs.
- ^ This Summer in RuneScape - the Summer Summit. 31 May 2016.*
- ^ Developer Q&A - RuneScape this Summer!. 10 May 2016.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Ramen's Twitter account. 29 April 2016.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Ramen's Twitter account. 12 August 2016.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Orion's Twitter account. 4 March 2016.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Doctor's Twitter account. 28 May 2016.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Doctor's Twitter account. 28 May 2016.
- ^ Summer Summit recap & PoH rework sneak peek. 31 May 2016.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Doctor's Twitter account. 28 May 2016.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Dolan's Twitter account. 18 July 2016.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Dolan's Twitter account. 3 August 2016.
- ^ Jagex. RuneScape's Twitter account. 2 August 2016.
- ^ BTS #205 - RuneScape Skilling Pets. 19 August 2016.*
- ^ Mod Rowley. "Dev Blog." 14 June 2016. Developers' Blogs.
- ^ Developer Q&A - The Beach Returns. 9 August 2016.*
- ^ Mod Asherz. "Currency Pouch Improvements." 8 August 2016. Future Game Updates Forums.
- ^ Mod Racasse. "RuneScape Wiki." 30 June 2016. Website and Forums Forums.