This page is a list of upcoming RuneScape updates.
Skilling pets will be added for combat skills (including Attack, Constitution, Defence, Magic, Summoning, Strength, Ranged and Prayer). Players have been able to submit concepts for the combat skilling pets as part of a competition. The ninja team selected their top concepts for each skilling pet and players have voted on all new pets, as well as the details for the associated titles.
- Sifu, for Attack
- Morty, for Constitution
- Wallace, for Defence
- Newton, for Magic
- Shamini, for Summoning
- Kangali, for Strength
- Sparky, for Ranged
- Ghostly, for Prayer
Skilling diversity updatesEdit
Jagex are aiming to introduce more fun and sociable skilling methods; with more rewards being gained when they are used interactively with other players. Ideas for new Thieving and Fishing training methods were shown at RuneFest 2017.
Deep sea fishing is the first activity that will be released. It will involve sailing to different fishing hotspots to catch fish. It will be available to players with a range of Fishing levels. Players will be able to use afk spots or opt to engage in gameplay with other players to receive a bonus.
Safecracking will be an expansion to the Thieves' Guild aimed at players with level 65-95 Thieving. It will involve the player looting from treasuries across RuneScape. Doing so will have the chance to gain legendary items, which will act as Thieving perks that grant the player experience and hanky points. New tiers of hanky point rewards will be added, allowing the player to unlock additional loot bags and safecracking techniques.
Off-hand skilling itemsEdit
Off-hand skilling items called magical relics will be added. The relics will have "themes" that grant benefits for skilling. Possible themes may be:
- Sacrifice: damages or kills the player while giving more buffs
- Restoration: buffs for skilling potions, regrowing locations
- Time: make complex training methods less intense
- Destruction: destroy resources for alternative rewards
Magical relics will give set effects when used with the associated regular experience-boosting set. Relics and the catalyst fragments will be made augmentable, allowing the player to use skilling perks with the items. A further off-hand skilling item may be a heroic, elven related item. This would be a rare crystal item with lore relating to Lady Trahaearn.
Mining and Smithing reworkEdit
Mining and Smithing was expected to get an update in the second half of 2017. However Jagex found it difficult to produce a concept that could satisfy all players' expectations. An in-game poll was used to determine whether players would rather have an update to introduce new content at the higher levels of the skills, with a full rework being left to another future update. Players voted in favour of having a complete rework of the skills, and it was stated at RuneFest 2017 that development had started around mid-September.
Solak is a new boss that will be located within The Lost Grove. The boss will be killed in solo or multiplayer, with a maximum of 7 players. Each body part will have its own health bar. The boss will be a product of the anima, similar to Telos and Vorago. It will drop tier 92 dual wield range weapons.
Mod Pi is working on creating a new demon boss called Hostilius that players will have to kill "from the inside out". The fight will scale to the number of players in a group (or solo). It will have three difficulty levels: casual, regular, and hardcore.
New Slayer monsters from DungeoneeringEdit
A stalker Slayer task will be added; players will be able to complete the task by killing either seekers or soulgazers from Dungeoneering. They will be added to Zamorak's Stronghold and will require level 71 and 99 Slayer to kill, respectively, as well as completion of Dishonour among Thieves. They will drop the hexhunter bow, which will be tier 80 with a powerful boost against magic users. The Slayer monsters will have elite monster spawns; these will have a rare chance of giving the sneekerpeeper pet.
Player as a Slayer MasterEdit
The concept of the player becoming a Slayer Master was discussed at RuneFest 2017. In the future this may be possible, with NPCs coming to the player to receive tasks and ask for advice about strategies and gear. The player would then gain some of the NPC's loot and experience, depending on how good their advice was.
Penguins in space: musical raidsEdit
Mods Deg and Raven worked on a fun practice-mode like Raids encounter during the Game Jam in February 2017. To enter the encounter players must board a space ship and then co-operate as a team to maintain their ship's wellbeing by following instructions which are given to them. If the team is able to successfully maintain ship wellbeing then they will arrive at the boss fight.
During the fight the players will fight in combat against Beatsmaster Zurgdag (Beastmaster Durzag) while music is played. Yamaharu (Yakamaru) will spectate the fight. Additional mechanics will involve maintaining the players' volume meter while decreasing the volume meter of the bosses. 
- Specific numbers will be added for certain buffs/debuffs.
- Gizmos will be visible on augmented items when examining another player.
- An update to Shattered Worlds will make its gameplay more interesting and will be worked on after Invention batch 2. There will be new objectives and hiscores of different types.
- Degradeable items degrade percentage will highlight in different colours on the tooltip, depending on the level of degradation. These are currently in QA.
- Clan Wars' rule selection and wars in progress interfaces will be updated.
- Raids will receive improvements, such as reasons to do Raids more often; a better grouping system; reducing the amount of players required; improving the jellyfish (e.g. by giving buffs from killing it); and a gold version of the Daredevil title. The title would require the player to complete all Raids feats in one run without dying.
Quests and eventsEdit
Replayable Sliske's EndgameEdit
- Ability to play through a second time.
- Adjust past choices on non-canon playthroughs.
- Add a "lore maze" for non-canon playthroughs where players can go straight to the maze, skip solving it and just do the interaction parts. Players will be able to choose what interactions they will have in what order.
- Fix clickout bug for interactions so players will be able to see if they missed interactions.
- Change dialogue in final scene so that the player can pledge the stone to a god of their choice.
- Adjust dialogue for Zaros, if you are loyal to him.
- Added Akrisae to the final scene.
- Updated model for Sliske to have the staff at the stone scene.
- Other potential fixes are making shards augmentable; letting the player get Armadyl's feather if they are loyal to him throughout the quest; and making the maze interface show which rooms the player has already been through.
Evil Dave QuestEdit
Pieces of HateEdit
In-game events calendarEdit
Mods Erator and Chaplain have been working on an in-game calendar as part of a GameJam project. The calendar will record events such as Treasure Hunter promotions, official livestreams and Jagex moderator events. There may also be support for showing when an account's membership expires and for "super events" which would take over the square for an entire day to notify the player of important updates. The calendar has been developed and is awaiting QA testing.
Burthorpe Games Room updateEdit
Mod Tomb is working on an update to make it possible for players to play games from the Burthorpe Games Room while skilling across RuneScape is planned. Initially it may only be possible for players on the same world to challenge each other. 
God Wars Dungeon bossesEdit
A rework for clue scrolls is being worked on by the ninja team and is aimed for release in Winter 2017. This is intended to make completing clue scrolls more rewarding and may allow the player to work on more than one clue of the same difficulty at the same time. The rework will look at addressing players' most requested changes to clues:
- Making emote clues less annoying.
- Allowing players to have multiple clues of the same tier, with only one being active.
- Adding a new dye, the ice dye, following a successful in-game poll.
- Second Age equipment.
- A flaming sword cosmetic override for main-hand and off-hand weapons.
- A Treasure Trails outfit that helps solve puzzles
- Improving guthix and saradomin wizards (making them left-clickable in the Wilderness, graphically updating them and making them weak to all combat styles).
- Adding a new reward that will allow ranger boots to be boosted from tier 40 to tier 85.
- Make hints more helpful/less misleading.
- Allow skillers to get more clue scrolls.
- Add a new clue tier: master clues.
- Look at drop tables.
- Add a collection log (similar to the Boss collection log)
- Add a better way to retrieve items needed for clues.
- All clue rewards will be given as a casket, and puzzle caskets will turn into normal caskets after the final puzzle is solved.
- A reward to make the character leave a visible footprint trail may be added at a later time.
Part of the rework will be the introduction of STASH (store-things-and-stuff-here) units to store the items required for emote clues. Players will be able to build STASH units near to locations required by emote clues with the appropriate Construction level. An interface will be added to show all possible STASH unit locations, and display whether a player has built and filled the unit at each. Another quality of life change will be to improve anagram clues by making them point to more relevant and recognisable NPCs and making the anagrams use recognisable words and hint towards their solution.
- Removing the anagogic orts system. Instead clan members will be able to attune to their clan's avatar habitat while visiting the citadel once a week.
- Attuned clan members will be able to summon the clan avatar as a cosmetic companion pet.
- Attuned clan members will receive an experience buff, regardless of whether or not the avatar pet is summoned.
- Potential experience buffs may be: a flat 3% experience buff; a 3% buff plus 2% for having maximum clan fealty (total 5%); or 1% per tier of avatar habitat plus 2% for max fealty.
- While in the citadel with the avatar pet summoned it will gather resources up to a cap shared across all clan avatars.
- Clan members with admin+ rank may be given permissions to customise the avatars' appearance and set what they will gather at the citadel.
Mod Moltare had been working with Mod Asherz to make changes to the game engine to allow clan avatars to work with familiar overrides, before he left his job.
The next in-game area to be graphically reworked will be Seers' Village and Camelot. Mod AoB is working on the update in between other projects. Currently the rework is at the stage of moving buildings around and blocking them out. Jagex are planning to make Camelot castle larger and built into the mountainside. Some unnecessary things, such as the estate agent, will be removed from the village. The Seers' Village Courthouse will be moved into Camelot castle and the coal truck mining site will be moved closer to Seers' Village furnace.
RuneScape Mobile is an upcoming version of RuneScape and Old School RuneScape announced on 17 July 2017. The main version of RuneScape will not be available to play on mobile until 2018. Old School RuneScape will be available to play from Winter 2017.
The following changes to customer support will be made in future updates:
- Reinstatement of a system to allow permanently banned players to appeal their bans
- Live text-based conversations about a limited range of issues with Jagex Moderators in the customer support team
The following fixes are planned for future updates:
- An aura bag will be added to store auras. This was expected to be released in July 2017, but has since been delayed.
- Mod Timbo's current long-term projects include increasing the value of seeds; increasing ghostly essence drops; and removing resources from PvM.
- In Search of the Myreque and In Aid of the Myreque will give their experience rewards as lamps rather than direct experience.
- Mod Stu is working on adding quest accept interfaces to all quests: currently he has done this for 75 quests and has 50 left to go.
- Mod Stu is working on adding an explanation of the nature of the Sixth Age to the quest accept interface of sixth age quests.
- Mod Stu is adding an "Age" filter to the Quest List. It will filter into fifth age, sixth age or agnostic (could be either).
- Mod Timbo is working on further improvements to luck rings:
- Mod Shauny is working on making dungeoneering map into its own movable interface. 
- Mod Edge is working on improving the skill guide:
- Mod Hunter is working on improving the ribbon customisation options.
- Mods Osborne and Ramen are working on adding examine texts to The Lost Grove.
- The holly wreath will be graphically updated.
- Mod Shauny is adding three new skyboxes and filters, the 2017 Easter event red skybox, the animated desert skybox and Paterdomus skybox, ahead of the 2017 hallowe'en event.
- Mod Doctor is making it possible to add a gold accumulator to the Slayer tool belt.
- Mod Edge has created an update to allow players to build and remove items via left-clicking in player-owned houses' building mode.
- An additional reward of being much less likely to be teleported to a random location while using the Chaos Tunnels will be added for completion of the elite Varrock Tasks.
- ^ RuneScape Reveals (From RuneFest 2016). 20 September 2016.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod AoB's Twitter account. 19 October 2017.
- ^ RuneFest Reveals Q&A - RuneScape. 26 September 2017.*
- ^ RuneScape Reveals - from RuneFest 2017. 24 September 2017.*
- ^ 2017 - The Year Ahead. 10 January 2017.*
- ^ RuneScape's August Month Ahead - Live Stream. 1 August 2017.*
- ^ RuneScape Combat - from RuneFest 2017. 27 September 2017.*
- ^ The RuneScape Game Jam!. 19 February 2017.*
- ^ Ninja Backlog Prioritisation - Vote on the Ninja Backlog!. 7 February 2017.*
- ^ Jagex. "Unfinished Business Update." 28 July 2017. RuneScape News.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Shauny's Twitter account. 25 September 2017.
- ^ Mod Harrison. "Weekly Ninja Teasers!." RuneScape Forums.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Shogun's Twitter account. 27 June 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Raven's Twitter account. 16 February 2017.
- ^ Mod Raven. "Empyrean Citadel:Your Thoughts." RuneScape Forums.
- ^ The RuneScape Game Jam!. 18 February 2017.*
- ^ Unfinished Business - the Q&A. 11 July 2017.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Tomb's Twitter account. 12 July 2017.
- ^ Jagex. RuneScape's Twitter account. 1 August 2017.
- ^ The Month Ahead - March. 7 March 2017.*
- ^ Mod Rowley. "Treasure Trails - Ice Dye Poll." RuneScape Forums.
- ^ https://reddit.com/r/runescape/comments/6wu6da/always_receive_casket_on_final_clue/dmbmw7j
- ^ https://reddit.com/r/runescape/comments/6wu6da/always_receive_casket_on_final_clue/dmcdgwc/?context=1
- ^ Mod Joe. "Dev Blog - Hidey Holes Poll." RuneScape Forums.
- ^ Mod Rowley. "Treasure Trail - Anagrams." RuneScape Forums.
- ^ Mod Timbo. "Bank Rework - Design Document." 25 May 2017. Future Game Updates Forums.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Moltare's Twitter account. 19 October 2017.
- ^ Mod Moltare. "Clan Avatar: Feedback Wanted." RuneScape Forums.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Moltare's Twitter account. 24 February 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod AoB's Twitter account. 18 July 2017.
- ^ Mod Kelpie. "Seers' Village Rework." RuneScape Forums.
- ^ Seers' Village rework and Spring Fayre Showcase. 18 April 2017.*
- ^ RuneScape & Old School Mobile - Q&A. 20 July 2017.
- ^ Catherby Rework and Invention goodies. 23 August 2016.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Timbo's Twitter account. 10 February 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Timbo's Twitter account. 13 July 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Stu's Twitter account. 16 March 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Stu's Twitter account. 27 April 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Stu's Twitter account. 20 July 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Stu's Twitter account. 20 July 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Timbo's Twitter account. 5 September 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Timbo's Twitter account. 5 September 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Shauny's Twitter account. 7 September 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Edge's Twitter account. 7 September 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Edge's Twitter account. 25 September 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Shauny's Twitter account. 21 September 2017.
- ^ The Lost Grove looks pretty and everything but... 25 September 2017.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Edge's Twitter account. 11 September 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Shauny's Twitter account. 17 October 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Doctor's Twitter account. 19 October 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Edge's Twitter account. 19 October 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Edge's Twitter account. 19 October 2017.