Elite dungeons are planned for release in June, July, and September 2018, if the initial release is received well. The first dungeon to be released will be Temple of Aminishi. They will involve gameplay similar to Raids but may be played in smaller groups or solo. Rewards will include Dungeoneering experience, tokens, equipment between tiers 82 and 92, and a Sakadagami cosmetic outfit. They are being developed by Mod Orion, Mod Sova, and Mod Chaose.
The Player-owned farm will be released in Summer 2018 and will feature players raising livestock and maintaining their own farm in return for experience rewards in Farming and Construction, and special items that aid with regular Farming.
Mod Daze and Mod Erator are planning an update to existing skillcape perks and an expansion of perks to master capes of accomplishment. Master capes for Slayer, Dungeoneering, and Invention will be given perks; virtual 120 capes will not have perks. This is intended to be released in Summer 2018.
Proposed master cape perks are:
- Dungeoneering - chance to choose which boss will be faced during a dungeon and increases the chance of receiving lore drops.
- Invention - chance of receiving components from disassembling items.
- Slayer - chance of acting as a Slayer VIP ticket when getting a task.
- Master quest cape - teleports to a selection of locations including the Champions' Guild, Heroes' Guild, Legends' Guild, Wise Old Man's house, and Tears of Guthix.
Skill cape perks that will be adapted are:
- Agility - no failure on obstacles.
- Construction - chance to save planks when building in a player-owned house.
- Crafting - chance to cut all gems in an inventory at once.
- Divination - all wisps last a fixed amount of time.
- Firemaking - fire spirits give better rewards and cape acts as a light source.
- Fletching - chance to make extra bolts and arrows.
- Hunter - increased range for traps.
- Thieving - all pickpocketed drops are noted.
Mining and Smithing reworkEdit
A major rework to the Mining and Smithing skills is in development, originally slated for release in the second half of 2017. The rework will completely change the way that the skills work, introducing stamina, new tiers of ore, and a heat mechanic.
Mod Easty is working on a rewrite of Farming code in RuneScape, including reworking how ticks work within the skill. This may allow for new quality of life features such as left-click planting (bypassing interfaces) and the previously scrapped Farming timer concept to be implemented.
Brimhaven Agility ArenaEdit
The Brimhaven Agility Arena will receive a high level addition which will involve players tagging pillars together. This is not currently in development, though Jagex want to release it during 2018, and is awaiting the developer who came up with the idea to be free.
Off-hand skilling itemsEdit
Off-hand skilling items called magical relics will be added. The relics will have "themes" that grant benefits for skilling. Possible themes may be:
- Sacrifice: damages or kills the player while giving more buffs
- Restoration: buffs for skilling potions, regrowing locations
- Time: makes complex training methods less intense
- Destruction: destroys resources for alternative rewards
Magical relics will give set effects when used with the associated regular experience-boosting set. Relics and the catalyst fragments will be made augmentable, allowing the player to use skilling perks with the items. A further off-hand skilling item may be a heroic, elven related item. This would be a rare crystal item with lore relating to Lady Trahaearn. This is currently not in development and may only be released in the latter half of 2018.
Mod Pi, in his TAPP time, is working on creating a new demon boss called Hostilius that players will have to kill "from the inside out". The fight will scale to the number of players in a group (or solo). It will have 3 difficulty levels: casual, regular, and hardcore.
- The corrupted slayer helmet is being improved by Ninjas. One of the improvements is 5% higher capture rate of souls. This is planned for May release. 
- Specific numbers will be added for certain buffs/debuffs.
- Gizmos will be visible on augmented items when examining another player.
- An update to Shattered Worlds will make its gameplay more interesting and other improvements. Mod Erator works on it in his 2 TAPP days per month if no other tasks demands his time. There will be new objectives and maybe hiscores of different types.
- Clan Wars' rule selection and wars in progress interfaces will be updated.
- Raids will receive improvements, such as reasons to do Raids more often; a better grouping system; reducing the amount of players required; improving the jellyfish (e.g. by giving buffs from killing it); and a gold version of the Daredevil title. The title would require the player to complete all Raids feats in one run without dying.
- Bounty Hunter rewards will be redistributed to other wilderness content by Mod Pi.
- Mod Daze is working on making Telos more accessible for players who are colourblind. Telos' "so much power" queue will correctly clear on phase transition. Telos' anima bar will reset if using Immortality in phase 5. When siphoning from fonts in a Telos fight, Telos will be untargeted so that golems take priority in the render order.
- Mod Shauny is working on improving the Monster Examine spell to include detailed information about the player's chance to damage their target, and their chance of being damaged by their opponent.
- An issue with Nex: Angel of Death becoming aggressive to different players will be fixed.
Abyssal Slayer creaturesEdit
- Abyssal savage (requiring level 95 Slayer to kill)
- Abyssal beast (requiring level 105 Slayer to kill)
- Abyssal lord (requiring level 115 Slayer to kill)
All of these will be options that players will be able to choose in place of an abyssal demons task. The new monsters will each have the same teleporting mechanic as abyssal demons, with the abyssal lord also dealing damage to the player while doing so. As with regular abyssal demons, the effects of darklight and abyssalbane ammunition will work against the new monsters.
The abyssal savage will be a harder hitting version of an abyssal demon; though it will attack using magic. The abyssal savage will have a laser attack which the player must avoid by moving at least one step away from the savage. The abyssal lord will feature the most complex mechanics. Mod Shogun is aiming for them to have 2 special effects. One of these will be that, after the player has dealt a certain amount of damage to the abyssal lord, it can summon high-hitting minions which attack the player. Some of the minions' damage will be negated by Protect from Magic.
Quests and eventsEdit
To mark the year's anniversary of Menaphos' release there will be in-game benefits, such as increased frequency of soul obelisks , to the area throughout the month of June 2018. There will also be improvements to the city, including:
- The reputation gains will be increased by 25% after completing each Menaphos quest, up to a total of 100% increased reputation gain rate.
- It will be possible to gain reputation by playing Pyramid Plunder.
- Menaphite gift offerings will be made stackable and bankable and will have a right-click redeem X option added.
- City quests will have their cooldown removed.
In-game events calendarEdit
Mods Erator and Chaplain have been working on an in-game calendar as part of 2017's GameJam project. The calendar will record events such as Treasure Hunter promotions, official livestreams and Jagex moderator events. There may also be support for showing when an account's membership expires and for "super events" which would take over the square for an entire day to notify the player of important updates. The calendar has been developed and is awaiting QA testing.
The ninja team have been working on an update for banks that was aimed for release during the second half of 2017. However, due to the larger than anticipated amount of work on the game engine, this update is currently on hold while the engine team finishes work on RuneScape Mobile.
Jagex have plans to update clans in 2018, however development will not begin until RuneScape Mobile is released. Potential updates include making clans easier to manage, introducing new players to clans earlier in the game, and having more competition between clans.
- The anagogic orts system will be removed: clan members will not need to pay orts to receive avatar buffs. Instead, clan members will be able to activate their weekly buff using the avatar control stone which will be located next to the avatar habitat.
- Clan members can choose between a buff of having 10% increased resource gain from clan skill plots (increased up to 50% with fealty) or base XP boost of 3% (increased up to an additional 3% with rank 1, 2, or 3 clan fealty).
- The buff will work in places where familiars are disallowed, e.g. Runespan and Agility courses.
- The avatar warden clan job will no longer be required to summon an avatar.
- The heal over time, familiar faces, auto ort, random resurrection, and protector avatar buffs will be removed.
- Each clan member can summon a clan avatar via the follower pets section of the pets interface, if they are in a clan with an active avatar habitat and have activated their weekly buff.
- Ironmen will be able to take out the clan avatar but will not receive bonuses from it.
- Avatars' gather resources while in citadel action will be accessible via the avatar control stone. Avatars will gather resources while summoned as pets up to a weekly maximum that is shared by the clan, scaling based on habitat tier.
- Avatar customisation will be accessible via the avatar control stone for clan admins.
- The clan XP buff icon will only show one icon which will display the total % of additional experience being gained by the player.
- A buff icon will be added for the skill plot bonus buff.
- The Clan Noticeboard will no longer show statuses of avatars.
- The clan avatar will have a special appearance when stored in a menagerie.
- The Woodcutting, Mining, and Firemaking skill plots will grant more clan resources when used.
- The Crafting, Mining, Smithing, Firemaking, and Woodcutting skill plots experience will be increased by 20% between level 80 and 99.
- Urns will be filled by skilling at skill plots.
- The active obelisk at the Summoning skill plot will change every 30 seconds, instead of every 17.
- The chance to break a root while training at the Woodcutting skill plot will be reduced.
With this update Mod Shauny is also adding changes to citadel skilling. The rate of gaining resources while skilling will be increased; it is intended that capping at a citadel will take around 30-40 minutes. Experience from the Crafting, Mining, Smithing, Woodcutting, and Firemaking skill plots will be increased by 20% from level 80-99. Skilling will be made more afkable and it will be possible to use urns at the citadel. Experience drops from skill plots will show the amount of resources being gained. Additional fixes will include the clan broadcast system being made non-optional rather than opt-in; adding the ability to mute clan members; and making the permission for kicking players fully customisable.
The next in-game area to be graphically reworked will be Seers' Village and Camelot. Mod AoB is working on the update in between other projects. Currently the rework is at the stage of moving buildings around and blocking them out. Jagex are planning to make Camelot castle larger and built into the mountainside. Some unnecessary things, such as the estate agent, will be removed from the village. The Seers' Village Courthouse will be moved into Camelot castle and the coal truck mining site will be moved closer to Seers' Village furnace.
RuneScape Mobile is an upcoming version of RuneScape and Old School RuneScape announced on 17 July 2017. The tentative release date is around Q3 2018[source needed]. OSRS Mobile was originally planned for release in Winter 2017, but has been delayed until early 2018.
An update for Ironman Mode players, which will allow linked Ironman players to interact freely with each other and participate in group bosses and Dungeoneering, was announced at RuneFest 2017. Mod Ramen is working on this as TAPP. Features this may include are a group banking system, leaderboards, and a guild including Mr Ex and other ironman related content. On 26 March Mod Ramen held a Twitter poll for potential group size between 2 and 5; the winning response was a group size of 5.
The Live Events team are currently working on updating the Members Loyalty Programme; this will include a review of current loyalty store items. Treasure Hunter will also be reworked. During the 2018 Year Ahead Q&A Mod Osborne stated that any new skilling outfits released would be added via game play.
The following fixes are planned for future updates:
- A God Wars Dungeon soul store that stores kill count will be released in May 2018.
- "Buy X" will be added for the Arc reward shops.
- Mod Edge has added a better interface for skyboxes and filters. The chosen skybox and filter will persist across log ins. He may also develop customisable skyboxes.
- Mod Timbo's current long-term projects include increasing the value of seeds and removing resources from PvM.
- Mod Edge is working on improving the skill guide:
- Mod Osborne and Mod Ramen are working on adding examine texts to The Lost Grove.
- Optimisations will be made to the game including FPS improvements, fixing the camera at Barrows, and targeting for monsters which will allow the players to begin attacking using abilities rather than auto-attacks.
- Potion tooltips will be made more informative. They will display what is being boosted and the amount being boosted.
- Teleporting and creating teleports in Dungeoneering will be taken off the global cooldown.
- The beasts interface will be improved in legacy mode; the interface will be grey like other legacy interfaces.
- The follower information interface will be grey in legacy interface mode.
- Tool tips will be added for all potions. These may be toggle on and off in settings.
- Item examines will have Grand Exchange prices and alchemy values added to them.
- An option to sort alphabetically will be added to the emote interface.
- More functionality will be added to NXT, such as depth field and volumetric lighting, like the lighting used in Menaphos.
- Sirenic armour and tectonic armour will be graphically updated. The dyed armour versions will also be updated.
- Mod Daze has added a "flip" option for Araxxor slider puzzles.
- Summoning stores' interfaces will be graphically updated.
- ^ Jagex. "Price Change & Summer Content." 15 April 2018. RuneScape News.
- ^ May - Content Showcase. 15 May 2018.*
- ^ Mod Daze. "Skillcape Perks Proposals." RuneScape Forums.
- ^ 2017 - The Year Ahead. 10 January 2017.*
- ^ Mod Easty. OSRS is getting a full Farming timer system rewrite. 7 November 2017. (Archived from the original on 7 November 2017.)*
- ^ April Month Ahead - Developer Q&A. 3 April 2018.*
- ^ RuneScape Reveals - from RuneFest 2017. 24 September 2017.*
- ^ RuneFest Reveals Q&A - RuneScape. 26 September 2017.*
- ^ April - RuneScape's Month Ahead (2018). 29 March 2018.*
- ^ Month Ahead - May. 28 April 2018.*
- ^ RuneScape Combat - from RuneFest 2017. 27 September 2017.*
- ^ High-level Slayer Codex souls should be made less rare, or at least have a threshold.. 3 November 2017.*
- ^ Ninja Backlog Prioritisation - Vote on the Ninja Backlog!. 7 February 2017.*
- ^ Jagex. "Unfinished Business Update." 28 July 2017. RuneScape News.
- ^ Mod Harrison. "Weekly Ninja Teasers!." RuneScape Forums.
- ^ RuneScape's Big Questions [stream]. 5 December 2017.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Daze's Twitter account. 7 December 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Iago's Twitter account. 3 January 2018.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Daze's Twitter account. 18 Jaunary 2018.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Harrison's Twitter account. 5 February 2018.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Ramen's Twitter account. 16 February 2018.
- ^ The RuneScape Game Jam!. 19 February 2017.*
- ^ Should Pyramid Plunder Give Menaphos Reputation?. 20 March 2018.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Sova's Twitter account. 15 February 2018.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Sova's Twitter account. 15 February 2018.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Sova's Twitter account. 15 February 2018.
- ^ TL;DW 349 - Runefest Reveals Q&A. 26 September 2017.*
- ^ 2018 - RuneScape's Year Ahead. 5 January 2018.*
- ^ The RuneScape Game Jam!. 18 February 2017.*
- ^ Unfinished Business - the Q&A. 11 July 2017.*
- ^ Mod Timbo. "Bank Rework - Design Document." 25 May 2017. Future Game Updates Forums.
- ^ RuneScape Content Showcase. 24 October 2017.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Moltare's Twitter account. 19 October 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Shauny's Twitter account. 1 December 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Shauny's Twitter account. 10 January 2018.
- ^ RuneScape - January Content Showcase. 16 January 2018.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Moltare's Twitter account. 24 February 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Moltare's Twitter account. 2 December 2017.
- ^ The Month Ahead Q&A - March. 6 March 2018.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod AoB's Twitter account. 18 July 2017.
- ^ Mod Kelpie. "Seers' Village Rework." RuneScape Forums.
- ^ Seers' Village rework and Spring Fayre Showcase. 18 April 2017.*
- ^ RuneScape & Old School Mobile - Q&A. 20 July 2017.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Ramen's Twitter account. 26 March 2017.
- ^ Mobile Update & November Month Ahead. 7 November 2017.*
- ^ Mod Balance. "RuneScape Monetisation." RuneScape Forums.
- ^ The Year Ahead Q&A. 9 January 2018.*
- ^ May - RuneScape's Month Ahead (2018). 27 April 2018.*
- ^ May - the Month Ahead. 1 May 2018.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Edge's Twitter account. 26 April 2018.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Edge's Twitter account. 27 April 2018.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Timbo's Twitter account. 10 February 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Timbo's Twitter account. 13 July 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Edge's Twitter account. 7 September 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Edge's Twitter account. 25 September 2017.
- ^ The Lost Grove looks pretty and everything but... 25 September 2017.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Sova's Twitter account. 20 December 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Mohawk's Twitter account. 11 January 2018.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Edge's Twitter account. 12 January 2018.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Edge's Twitter account. 29 January 2018.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Orion's Twitter account. 1 February 2018.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Edge's Twitter account. 9 February 2018.
- ^ RuneScape Content Showcase - February. 20 February 2018.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Orion's Twitter account. 26 March 2018.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Daze's Twitter account. 26 April 2018.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Edge's Twitter account. 25 May 2018.