This page is a list of upcoming RuneScape updates.
Menaphos Slayer DungeonEdit
With the release of the Menaphos Slayer dungeon, the Slayer skill cap will be increased to level 120. Players' virtual Slayer levels will be converted directly into actual levels. New content will be added such as the player being able to become their own Slayer Master and create their own Slayer assignments. A poll of players' wishes for the expansion was launched on 10 January 2017. It is intended that experience rates will increase. Levelling from level 99 to 120 Slayer will take around 150 hours with an average experience rate of around 600,000 experience an hour once the level cap is raised. This will scale up as higher level monsters are accessible within the Menaphos Slayer Dungeon, from 300,000 experience an hour at level 99 to over 800,000 experience an hour towards 120. New Slayer monsters will be added in 120 Slayer. 120 Slayer will become a Completionist cape requirement, but players will be given at least 3 months amnesty, until the release of the second in-game area expansion in September 2017, to obtain the requirement.
New Slayer monstersEdit
During GameJam Mod Shogun revealed that he is working on creating three new Slayer monsters:
- Abyssal savage (requiring level 95 Slayer to kill)
- Abyssal beast (requiring level 105 Slayer to kill)
- Abyssal lord (requiring level 115 Slayer to kill)
All of these will be options that players will be able to choose in place of an abyssal demons task. The new monsters will each have the same teleporting mechanic as abyssal demons, with the abyssal lord also dealing damage to the player while doing so. As with regular abyssal demons, the effects of darklight and abyssalbane ammunition will work against the new monsters.
The abyssal savage will be a harder hitting version of an abyssal demon; though it will attack using magic. The abyssal savage will have a laser attack which the player must avoid by moving at least one step away from the savage. The abyssal lord will feature the most complex mechanics. Mod Shogun is aiming for them to have 2 special effects. One of these will be that, after the player has dealt a certain amount of damage to the abyssal lord, it can summon high-hitting minions which attack the player. Some of the minions' damage will be negated by Protect from Magic.
Mining and Smithing reworkEdit
A rework of Mining and Smithing was planned for September 2016, however the rework was postponed to 2017 due to player feedback on the initially presented concepts. It is currently slated for release in the second half of 2017.
On 4 August 2016 Mod Jack made a post on the RuneScape Official Forums and on Reddit to begin discussions about re-evaluating what players wanted to see in the Mining and Smithing rework. From this they hope to reuse acceptable elements of the pre-existing plans for the rework as well as create new designs or take suggestions to fully meet with requirements for the rework.
During the Future of RuneScape Skilling talk at RuneFest 2016 Jagex revealed some of the considerations for planning the new Mining and Smithing rework. There were:
- Coal no longer being needed as a secondary material for high level Smithing, but instead being a universal catalyst - speeding up the speed of smithing rather than being required to smith.
- The crystal pickaxe maintaining its status as being better than other pickaxes due to the difficulty involved in getting it. It may be required to create higher level pickaxes.
- Crystallise not offering the best Mining training method, but still being worthwhile to obtain.
The basics of Mining will remain the same; with players using pickaxes to mine ore from rocks. Rocks will not be hard to find, but higher level rocks will be placed in less accessible locations. There will not be quest requirements to access any types of rock, though it is possible that more accessible locations may be unlocked as quest rewards. Rocks will no longer deplete: there will not be competition between players for obtaining ores.
While mining from a rock the player will automatically strike it with their pickaxe every 4 ticks. Mining experience will be gained on every strike at the rock while ore will be obtained less frequently. Experience drops will therefore be lower amounts but occur more frequent than do currently. The mining animation and sound effect will be updated to make them correspond to ore being obtained.
Each strike that a player deals to a rock will accumulate progress points; which will be like damage dealt to the rock. The amount of progress points earned will depend on the player's Mining level (each level adding an additional 1 progress per strike) and pickaxe (better pickaxes will give more progress per strike). Each rock will have a difficulty; this will determine how many progress points the player will need to get ore from the rock. Each time that the player builds up enough progress points they will get a piece of ore and their progress points will be reset to 0. Progress points are stored for a type of rock, rather than each exact rock, and players can resume mining at the same progress if they continue mining the same type of rock at a later time; however mining a different type of rock resets progress. Experience gained on each strike is equivalent to the amount of progress earned multiplied by a bonus for the rock type, with higher level rocks giving a greater bonus. Mining experience rates will remain around the same or slightly faster. 
While mining the player will occasionally tire and need a break to recover. The number of strikes that the player will be able to make before needing a break will be approximately the same as their Mining level divided by 10. A break will last 20 ticks, after which the character will automatically resume mining. Players will be able to click on a rock to interrupt their breaks and resume mining early. This mechanic will encourage active gameplay: at the highest (90+) tier of rocks not interrupting breaks at all will give around 30% less experience and ores.
Higher tier rocks will have an additional property called hardness, which will decrease the amount of progress gained per strike of the rock. For example, if your pick would normally strike for 11 progress and the rock has a hardness of 10, you actually only get 1 progress. Hardness will be counteracted by using better quality pickaxes, which have a greater penetration value. A pickaxe's penetration value will be the same as the hardness at that tier. For example, drakkurlith rocks will have a hardness of 60 and a drakkurlith or dragon pickaxe will have a penetration of 60. Pickaxe penetration will be subtracted from hardness before hardness is subtracted from progress. Players will need to use a pickaxe that is at least the same tier as the rock they are mining to remove the effect of hardness. The hardness mechanic will ensure that it remains difficult to mine higher tiers of ore with low level pickaxes.
Players will be encouraged to bank their ores through the addition of imcando pyxides, which will act as deposit points. Each mining spot will have at least one imcando pydis located within easy reach of the rocks. Each pydis stores a certain amount of ore: the number will depend on the type of ore but will correspond to 20-30 minutes worth of mining. Once the pydis is full the player can click on it to teleport themselves to the nearest bank, automatically depositing all stored ore into their bank at the same time. The player will then have to return to the mining spot using their own means. It is intended that Mining should be the best method of ores: to achieve this monsters' drops may be replaced with coins or protean-like items.
Jagex are also considering giving Strength and Agility effects on the mining progress. One tenth of Strength skill may be added to progress per pickaxe strike: this would be equivalent to around 5% of overall mining performance. One tenth of the Agility skill may be subtracted from the number of cycles the character stops for while having a break from mining: this could potentially improve experience rates while afk mining by up to 15%, but would not affect active mining.
The tiers of existing equipment will be lowered and new equipment will be added at higher levels. Players will be able to smith gear up to tier 80, which will have slightly poorer stats than the equivalent tier gear obtained from monster drops. This gear will reuse models and concepts shown previously in the initial ideas for the rework. The Smithing process will remain similar to how it is currently, though Jagex intend to change the process in a way that allows more modifying reward items to be used with the skill. Jagex are also looking into removing unnecessary realism in the skill with the requirement of extra materials, such as wood for crossbow stocks, being moved from the smithing process. The significance of coal will be reduced; it will no longer be required for higher level Smithing, instead it may act as a non-essential catalyst to speed up smithing.
The basic mechanic of Smithing will be the same as the existing process of using anvil to make bars, though this process will typically take longer than it does currently. The length of time taken to smith items will scale with number of bars required: it will no longer be more rewarding to smith items that need more bars. The number of bars required to smith different types of items will be changed to be better reflect their value to players. A new mechanic called "The Forge" will encourage, but not require, active gameplay while smithing. Ore and bars may be used directly from the bank.
The regular smithing process will create "base items". These may then be upgraded using as many bars as were originally required to create the item. At higher tiers items may be upgraded more than once: the number of times an item can be upgraded will be half its tier, rounded down. Each upgrade will require double the bars used in the previous upgrade, with the experience given being equal to the number of bars used.
An item upgraded to its best upgrade level will be a "fine item". All upgraded items will be tradeable, but only base and fine items will be tradeable via the Grand Exchange. Fine items may be smithed into untradeable presentation items. These can be handed in to master smiths (Martin Steelweaver, Suak, or Lady Trahaearn) for extra experience, equivalent to that given by smithing half the total number of bars needed to make the fine item. Handing in presentation items will also award Artisans Workshop respect points, if there is not a rework of the activity as part of the Smithing update.
Proposed new Smithing levels:
|Metal||Combat level required||Smithing level required||Number of upgrades||Base item level||Fine item level|
With level 99 Smithing players will be able to create masterwork items out of aetherium items. Masterwork items will be level 90 tank items and will require level 90 Attack or Defence to use. They will be augmentable and will degrade into a broken state, requiring consumable smithing items to repair. Creating masterwork items will be a complex, time consuming and expensive process which awards only token experience. They will be created from a number of components, including glorious aetherium bars and aetherium filigree. The number of glorious bars needed will be the same as the number of bars needed to make that type of regular item, while 10 times as much filigree will be needed.
Glorious bars will be made through a process of "folding" which takes place through cycles upgrading the bar from enriched to folded to glorious. Enriched and glorious bars will be tradeable but folded bars will not be. Only one bar can be folded at a time, though making them will be queued to repeat through the make-x process. Making the initial enriched aetherium bars will require 10 immaculate alloy bars, which will each made from 10 concentrated alloy bars and 1 barrows bar. Barrows bars will be made by melting down barrows equipment at the dragon forge. Each concentrated alloy bar will be made from a variety of smithed bars, including a dragon bar made from melting down dragon items at the dragon force, and a purifying flux, which will be purchasable from Artisans Workshop for 10,000. Aetherium filigree will use cheap materials in a very time consuming process of converting aetherium bars to aetherium wire, to twisted aetherium wire, to aetherium filigree. Aetherium wire and filigree will be tradeable.
It will be possible to combine masterwork items with parts of level 80 and 90 drops from bosses to make even better level 92 power armour called energised armour. Energised armour will be augmentable and tradeable and will degrade to a broken state, repairable using repair kits which will also be created through smithing. The process of creating energised armour will require 99 Smithing and will be simpler and faster than creating masterwork items, though it be more costly. It will involve combining masterwork items with energised inlays. Each energised inlay will be made through combining an aetherium bar with 2 praesulic essence, from torva armour; 1 malevolent essence, from malevolent armour; and 2 kalphite essence, from drygore weapons. Creating energised armour will award only token experience.
Jagex are also considering adding mastery, whereby the player would need to unlock the ability to make masterwork aetherium items. Unlocking the ability to work on mastery would require a special accomplishment such as earning a certain amount of experience by smithing a type of item at each tier.  It is likely that the concept of unlocking masterwork items will now be incorporated into the masterwork system; rather than being a separate mastery system as was initially presented.
A planned future update will involve fixing common problems and concepts that aren't working as well as intended with the skill. One of these fixes will be the removal of the inspiration mechanic. Jagex are also aiming to add more content between level 99 and 120.
- Add shortcut keys to the travel interface.
- Fix objects on uncharted isles not spawning and spawning on top of each other.
- Investigate whether having multiple adjacent tortle spawns affects tortle respawn rate.
- Investigate some spots not allowing traps to be placed on Uncharted Isles.
- Investigate Uncharted Isles combat NPCs not scaling correctly when hit by a Summoning familiar.
- Add "make-60" options to various craftables and transmutations e.g. tortle shell bowls.
- Add a filterable chatbox message saying when a resource is 25%, 50%, 75% and nearly depleted.
Boss kill times hiscoresEdit
Players' boss kill times will be reset and a new system of kill time hiscores will be added in 2017.
A new boss currently called The Ambassador will be released in 2017. This was originally announced as a solo only boss at RuneFest 2016, however following player feedback Jagex have decided to lift this restriction. They are now considering a fight involving 1-5 players.
Penguins in space: musical raidsEdit
Mods Deg and Raven are working on a fun practice-mode like Raids encounter. To enter the encounter players must board a space ship and then co-operate as a team to maintain their ship's wellbeing by following instructions which are given to them. If the team is able to successfully maintain ship wellbeing then they will arrive at the boss fight.
During the fight the players will fight in combat against Beatsmaster Zurgdag (Beastmaster Durzag) while music is played. Yamaharu (Yakamaru) will spectate the fight. Additional mechanics will involve maintaining the players' volume meter while decreasing the volume meter of the bosses. 
- Mod Ramen is working on making damage dealt to minions in Nex: Angel of Death count towards the overall DPS drop.
- Mod Harrison has started working on making tier 92 weapons dyable.
Overworld nature elemental bossEdit
Jack of SpadesEdit
To coincide with the release of Menaphos in June 2017, a quest involving Crondis will be released. In this quest the player will find out why Crondis has turned against her followers, taking their food and drink and delighting in their misery.
Elder Gods questEdit
Evil Dave questEdit
Replayable Sliske's EndgameEdit
- Ability to play through a second time.
- Adjust past choices on non-canon playthroughs.
- Add a "lore maze" for non-canon playthroughs where players can go straight to the maze, skip solving it and just do the interaction parts. Players will be able to choose what interactions they will have in what order.
- Fix clickout bug for interactions so players will be able to see if they missed interactions.
- Change dialogue in final scene so that the player can pledge the stone to a god of their choice.
- Adjust dialogue for Zaros, if you are loyal to him.
- Added Akrisae to the final scene.
- Updated model for Sliske to have the staff at the stone scene.
- Other potential fixes are making shards augmentable; letting the player get Armadyl's feather if they are loyal to him throughout the quest; and making the maze interface show which rooms the player has already been through.
Murder Mystery questEdit
Mods Osborne and Krista have begun working on a murder mystery style quest as part of GameJam. It will involve only female characters, and will be based around discovering who has killed a beloved character. The quest will have a similar feel to One Piercing Note, with the player solving the murder mystery. The quest will have a unique mechanic where the player investigates the environment and enters text into a "search engine" interface to receive more clues; this will allow for its events to be played out of sequence.
Vorago backstory questEdit
One Small Favour sequelEdit
Bank bidders will be a two week event where players will be able to bet on and win the contents of a banned account's bank. It was planned for release in February 2017, but has been postponed for the foreseeable future.
Double XP WeekendEdit
Summer Beach PartyEdit
In-game events calendarEdit
Mods Erator and Chaplain have been working on an in-game calendar as part of GameJam. The calendar will record events such as Treasure Hunter promotions, official livestreams and Jagex moderator events. They are also looking into adding support for showing when an account's membership expires and for "super events" which would take over the square for an entire day to notify the player of important updates.
Burthorpe Games Room updateEdit
Mod Tomb is working on an update to make it possible for players to play games from the Burthorpe Games Room while skilling across RuneScape. Initially it would only be possible for players on the same world to challenge each other.
Desert graphical updateEdit
Seers' Village graphical updateEdit
The next in-game area to be graphically reworked will be Seers' Village and Camelot. The update will be developed by Mod AOB, after he has completed work on the Menaphos update. Currently the rework is at the stage of moving buildings around and blocking them out. Jagex are planning to make Camelot castle larger and built into the mountainside. Some unnecessary things, such as the estate agent, will be removed from the village. The Seers' Village Courthouse will be moved into Camelot castle and the coal truck mining site will be moved closer to Seers' Village furnace.
Karamja graphical updateEdit
During GameJam Mod Joe worked on a method to execute some low key graphical reworks by reusing existing graphical assets. The GameJam livestream showcased his application of this to a graphical update for Karamja.
Clue scroll reworkEdit
A rework for clue scrolls is being worked on by the ninja team. This is intended to make completing clue scrolls more rewarding and may allow the player to work on more than one clue of the same difficulty at the same time. Improved rewards may include new god birds, third-age armour, unique clue scroll gear, and footprint trails left as the player moves around the world.
Jagex are also looking into adding a new tier of clue called champion clue, which would include skilling clues. Champion clues could also have hiscores and competitive clues involving players racing to be the first to claim a single prize from completing a clue.
A dynamic weather system which affects players' gameplay will be added in 2017.
Customisable skyboxes and lightingEdit
Dailies and weeklies reworkEdit
Daily and weekly repeatable events will be reworked. Jagex will first be looking at dailies and the Challenge System. Challenges given will be made specific: for example, playing for a certain amount of time or gaining a certain amount of experience.
Clan avatar reworkEdit
Mod Moltare is planning changes to clan avatars:
- Removing the anagogic orts system. Instead clan members will be able to attune to their clan's avatar habitat while visiting the citadel once a week.
- Attuned clan members will be able to summon the clan avatar as a cosmetic companion pet.
- Attuned clan members will receive an experience buff, regardless of whether or not the avatar pet is summoned.
- Potential experience buffs may be: a flat 3% experience buff; a 3% buff plus 2% for having maximum clan fealty (total 5%); or 1% per tier of avatar habitat plus 2% for max fealty.
- While in the citadel with the avatar pet summoned it will gather resources up to a cap shared across all clan avatars.
- Clan members with admin+ rank may be given permissions to customise the avatars' appearance and set what they will gather at the citadel.
Mod Moltare is currently working with Mod Asherz to make changes to the game engine to allow clan avatars to work with familiar overrides.
Customisable login screensEdit
Mod Easty is adding a drop down option to the login screen that will allow players to select from all previous log in screens. He is now attempting to add a randomisation option to this.
Permanent ban appeal systemEdit
Introduction of the ability to have live text-based conversations about limited customer support related issues with Jagex Moderators in the customer support team is planned, following successful trial of the feature.
New game guideEdit
Mod Maylea is currently working on splitting the Attack/Strength and Defence/Constitution tabs. After this she will be working on the top 10 most wanted quick ninja fixes, as voted for on the Ninja Backlog Prioritisation thread on Reddit. These were:
- Crystal teleport seeds having too few charges (this was fixed in an update on 13 March)
- Lots of effects not appearing on the buff bar (these were added on 4 April)
- Difficulty selecting bats and Animated pickaxes in Dungeoneering (this was fixed in an update on 13 March)
- Lack of option to deposit inventory into a beast of burden.
- Familiars not being forced called when teleporting to some areas
- World 48 having an outdated total level (this was changed on 4 April)
- Prayer potions not being available to F2P (this was fixed on 13 March)
- Many buffs/debuffs lacking specific numbers
- Too small of a character limit in friend and clan chat channels
- Installed gizmos not being visible on augmented items when examining another player
God books cosmetic overridesEdit
Mod Orion is working on making cosmetic overrides for god books during his personal project time. Players will be able to use different recolours if they have created the corresponding god books. Additional colours will be available if the player has all other recolours unlocked. These features were expected to appear in-game in late February, but have yet to be released.
In 2017, skilling pets will be added for combat skills (including Attack, Constitution, Defence, Magic, Summoning, Strength, Ranged and Prayer). Players will be able to submit concepts for the combat skilling pets as part of a competition. The ninja team will select their top 5 concepts for each skilling pet and players will be able to vote for their favourite concept via an in-game poll.
There may additionally be pets for clue scroll and minigame completion. There will also be the pet park, a place to store pets and potentially unlock hidden rewards for collecting different groups of pets. Players may also be able to customise their pet park and command their pets to work for them, similar to in Managing Miscellania.
- The currency pouch interface will be streamlined.
- The features of the orb of oculus will be made available from the world map and you will be able to access these in Legacy Mode.
- Mod Timbo's current projects include increasing the value of seeds; increasing ghostly essence drops; and removing resources from PvM.
- In Search of the Myreque and In Aid of the Myreque will give their experience rewards as lamps rather than direct experience.
- A bug that prevents players from being able to choose their interactions while replaying Sliske's Endgame will be fixed.
- A tool tip for Summoning familiars' pouches will be added to show the player the abilities of the familiar that they contain.
- Mod Stu is working on adding a quest accept interfaces to Goblin Diplomacy, Pirate's Treasure, Vampyre Slayer, The Knight's Sword, and Dragon Slayer and changing the experience rewards to be given in the form of lamps.
- Grand Exchange and Miscellania teleports will be added to the Luck of the dwarves ring.
- ^ RuneScape Combat Showcase (from RuneFest 2016). 20 September 2016.*
- ^ 120 Slayer Survey. 10 January 2017.*
- ^ RuneScape Dev Diaries - 120 Slayer. 2 February 2017.*
- ^ Mod Manti. "120 Slayer - Amnesty, XP Rates & Your Feedback." RuneScape Forums.
- ^ RuneScape Reveals (From RuneFest 2016). 20 September 2016.*
- ^ The RuneScape Game Jam!. 19 February 2017.*
- ^ Mining and Smithing Rework concept first look!. 14 June 2016.*
- ^ Mod Osborne. "Mining & Smithing Rework Postponed." 29 July 2016. RuneScape News.
- ^ 2017 - The Year Ahead. 10 January 2017.*
- ^ Mining & Smithing - Intentions & Questions. 4 August 2016.*
- ^ The Future of RuneScape Skilling (from RuneFest 2016). 24 September 2016.*
- ^ RuneScape Dev Diaries ep.4 - Mining 101. 30 November 2016.*
- ^ Mining Rework - Basic Mechanics. 22 February 2017.*
- ^ Mining Rework - Rates and Balancing. 1 March 2017.*
- ^ RuneScape Dev Diaries ep. 1 - Mining & Smithing: Reasons to 99. 19 October 2016.*
- ^ RuneScape Dev Diaries ep. 2 - Mining & Smithing: Tiers of Gear. 2 November 2016.*
- ^ RuneScape Dev Diaries - Mining & Smithing #5: Smithing 101. 18 January 2017.*
- ^ Smithing Rework - Basic Mechanics. 14 February 2016.*
- ^ Smithing Rework - Masterwork Items. 9 February 2016.*
- ^ Smithing Rework - Energised Armour (T92). `6 February 2016.*
- ^ Design - Smithing - Mastery.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Jack's Twitter account. 23 February 2017.
- ^ Jagex - Why is the Inspiration cap different for everyone at level 120 Invention?. 27 March 2017.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Orion's Twitter account. 17 February 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Ollie's Twitter account. 20 September 2016.
- ^ The RuneScape Game Jam!. 18 February 2017.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Ramen's Twitter account. 3 February 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Harrison's Twitter account. 6 March 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Ramen's Twitter account. 16 March 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Ramen's Twitter account. 16 March 2017.
- ^ The Road to Menaphos - the story so far. 25 April 2017.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Raven's Twitter account. 16 February 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Ramen's Twitter account. 17 February 2017.
- ^ Bank Bidders - FAQ & Update. 1 November 2016.*
- ^ The Month Ahead - March. 7 March 2017.*
- ^ Jagex. "Menaphos Trailer & Site." 24 April 2017. RuneScape News.
- ^ Jagex. "2017 - The year Ahead." 8 January 2017. RuneScape News.
- ^ Mod Kelpie. "Ninja News 07/02/17 – Top 10s." RuneScape Forums.
- ^ Seers' Village rework and Spring Fayre Showcase. 18 April 2017.*
- ^ Mod Kelpie. "Seers' Village Rework." RuneScape Forums.
- ^ Game Jam Q&A. 21 February 2017.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Shauny's Twitter account. 12 April 2016.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Shauny's Twitter account. 13 April 2016.
- ^ Mod Moltare. "Clan Avatar: Feedback Wanted." RuneScape Forums.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Moltare's Twitter account. 24 February 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Harrison's Twitter account. 16 February 2017.
- ^ Catherby Rework and Invention goodies. 23 August 2016.*
- ^ Mod Racasse. "RuneScape Wiki." 30 June 2016. Website and Forums Forums.
- ^ Ninja Backlog Prioritisation - Vote on the Ninja Backlog!. 7 February 2017.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Orion's Twitter account. 4 March 2016.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Orion's Twitter account. 23 September 2016.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Orion's Twitter account. 25 January 2017.
- ^ Mod Kelpie. "Combat Pets Competition." RuneScape Forums.
- ^ RuneScape 3 Christmas 2016 Winter Weekends Q&A. 29 November 2016.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Shauny's Twitter account. 10 February 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Timbo's Twitter account. 10 February 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Stu's Twitter account. 16 March 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Raven's Twitter account. 16 March 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Daze's Twitter account. 16 March 2017.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Stu's Twitter account. 13 April 2017.
- ^ Could the Miscellania and GE teleport be added to LotD, similar to the ring of fortune?. 19 April 2017.*