This page is a list of upcoming RuneScape updates.
Mining and Smithing reworkEdit
During RuneFest 2015 it was revealed that a rework of Mining and Smithing is planned for 2016. This update is intended to be released in September or October of 2016. The rework will involve making the combat gear that is being created "more relevant to the levels that it is being worn at" as well as making the higher levels of the skills worthwhile.
A future rework of these skills was first mentioned at RuneFest 2013 by Mod Jack. The project was pursued again after it being voted the most wanted update by long-term players currently on a break and third most popular by current players.
Quests and eventsEdit
15 Year Anniversary Celebrations and Gower QuestEdit
15 Year Anniversary Celebrations marking 15 years since the creation of RuneScape will be ongoing throughout 2016. In addition in-game celebrations, these will feature:
- Reopening of RuneScape Classic from 11 January to 12:00 UTC 11 March 2016.
- Release of a Gower Quest featuring Andrew and Paul Gower in mid 2016.
- Creation of a documentary about the history of RuneScape, to be released in Spring 2016. This will include interviews with the 3 Gower brothers; former and current staff, including Mark Ogilvie; and players, including Zezima.
GameBlast16 and Double XP WeekendEdit
Starting from 12:00 UTC on the 26 February 2016 there will be a double XP Weekend. Invention will not be included in the double XP weekend. This will coincide with the start of a 24 hour charity livestream event in aid of GameBlast. From 26 to 29 February players will be able to buy the GameBlast 2016 cape, GameBlast 2016 amulet and an equippable balloon from Solomon's General Store, with proceeds from sale of these items being donated to the charity SpecialEffect. The Well of Goodwill will also be reopened for players to donate to SpecialEffect.
Ballad of the Barrows BrothersEdit
Fate of the Gods IIEdit
River of BloodEdit
2016 Easter eventEdit
God Wars Dungeon 2Edit
At RuneFest 2015, it was mentioned that 2016 will include another God Wars Dungeon reflecting the current, Sixth Age conflict. Concept art showed Airut, followers of Tuska, and elven followers of Seren. The dungeon may also come with new weapons - potentially godswords.
The new God Wars Dungeon will be a solo-oriented experience and will not involve elaborate mechanics (it will not necessarily require boss combat experience). The player will have to fight monsters to earn kill count, which allow them to unlock doors to fight the new bosses.
In a Developer Q&A  God Wars Dungeon 2 was shown as one of the updates planned for release in the first 6 months of 2016. It was clarified that the dungeon would not necessarily involve the gods shown in previous concept art (Mod Osborne mentioned that Seren would be unlikely to participate due to her being a pacifist).
A new solo boss monster was mentioned at RuneFest 2015. An example of how this boss might look like was revealed as being an underwater boss. It supposedly will "test the very best combat players" and involve new environments, and new mechanics.
A "solo boss" is one of the updates planned for the second half of 2016.
RuneFest 2015 revealed plans for more Raids on Mazcab, involving at least two new elemental-styled bosses, in a similar fashion to Yakamaru, which will be thunder and fire-based. Jagex are aiming to approach the second installment in a different way, based on feedback on the release of Raids. This may involve allowing more players to access content, though not making the content less challenging, possibly including skillers, solo players and smaller teams.
An update involving Raids is planned for released in the second half of 2016.
God book improvementsEdit
An update to god books is planned for release in the week beginning 22 February 2016. This will give all the books equal stats: each god book will have the same Strength and Prayer bonuses and these will no longer be specific to one style of combat. Illuminated god books will have slightly better stats. God books will be made pocket slot items. Players will be able to use god book pages on a book to charge it. The page will be consumed. This will give the book the ability to perform a special attack based on the special attacks of bosses relating to relevant gods, e.g. Commander Zilyana's lightning cloud attack for Saradomin's Book of Wisdom, when the god book is activated.
Options will be added to toggle the automatic teleporting of skilling urns when full and to use retro skillcapes via the Miscellaneous Settings tab of the Gameplay interface.
RuneMetrics, a new advanced experience tracker and drop log, is planned to be released in February 2016. Additional features will be available to players who purchase a RuneMetrics Pro subscription.
- ^ BTS #178 - The Month Ahead: January.*
- ^ [www.twitch.tva/runescape/v/39842198 Developer Q&A - Invention, RuneMetrics & God Scoreboard].*
- ^ Mod William. "2016 Reveals." RuneScape Forums.
- ^ Jagex. "Return to RuneScape Classic." RuneScape News.
- ^ Gower Brothers Q&A (followed by RuneScape Story Time).*
- ^ Gower Brothers Q&A (followed by RuneScape Story Time).*
- ^ Mod Robbie. "GameBlast16 & Double XP." 28 January 2016. RuneScape News.
- ^ Mod Osborne. "RuneFest - Updates of 2016." 3 October 2015. RuneScape News.
- ^ RuneScape BTS #183 - God Scoreboard and Sliske's Endgame.*
- ^ RuneScape - RuneFest 2015 - Updates of 2016.*
- ^ RuneScape BTS #177 - RuneScape 2016 Manifesto.*
- ^ RuneScape Developer Q&A - 8th December - Ask us anything about 2016!.*
- ^ RuneScape Developer Q&A - Ninja Team.*
- ^ Mod Luna. RuneFest's Big Reveals.*
- ^ Developer Q&A - Nomad's Elegy and Sliske's Endgame.*
- ^ RuneScape BTS #182 - February Updates Coming to RuneScape.*
- ^ Jagex. "Weekly Ninja Teasers." 27 January 2016. Ninja Team Forums.
- ^ Mod SayIn. "Introducing RuneMetrics." 29 January 2016. Future Game Updates Forums.