The Underwater city is an ancient city, situated on the bottom of one of Gielinor's many oceans. It was mentioned by Guthix in Issue 24 of the God letters. The city was submerged at an unknown date and eventually forgotten. Guthix mentions that its inhabitants are making efforts to re-establish their contact with the rest of the world. In a livestream in November 2012 it was hinted that the pirate quest series may involve the underwater city, as well as Captain Rabid Jack[ ]. Mi-Gor states during The Great Brain Robbery that Rabid Jack is currently based in an underwater location, possibly referring to the city.
An underwater city is referenced in a nightmare the player character may have if they fall asleep during the Coeden section of The Light Within. It is described as consisting of buildings made up of obsidian pillars and slabs that are subtly wrong in proportion, and being full of "myriad black, stone hands". The hermit crab pet also claims to have been in a wet area full of "giant stone hands" at some point previously.
Some players thought that the Underwater City was the place that could be seen from Commander Zilyana's chamber in the God Wars Dungeon. However, Jagex later confirmed that this was an abandoned area that was originally intended for an underwater passage to Zamorak's Fortress which was replaced by the current swim across the river due to time constraints.
- ^ Jagex. "God Letter 24 - Guthix Ponders, letter 2" RuneScape God Letters.
- ^ Mi-Gor, RuneScape. "*Wheeze* I have received a summons to attend to the Captain and so will be 'down below' for a while."
- ^ Player character, "The Light Within", RuneScape. "You wake up in a strange landscape. Everywhere you look are obsidian pillars and slabs that suggest buildings, but are somehow subtly wrong in proportion and arrangement. The words 'seas rise, nations fall' are whispered in your ear over and over again, but every time you whip around you see nothing. It is utterly dark but somehow you can still see that there is nobody here with you. The air feels thick, like treacle, and you suddenly realize that you are deep under water. You try to breathe but can't; after all you are surrounded by cold, black water at the bottom of a terrible, merciless ocean. You struggle, but your limbs won't move. Is it because of the pressure of the water, or could it be the myriad black, stone hands that have emerged from the buildings and are gripping you? In either case, you jerk awake with a gasp. It was all a dream! A terrible, terrible dream"
- ^ Hermit crab, RuneScape. "You know, this place is too dry, but at least I don't have to worry about giant stone hands."
- ^ Socky McGee, RuneScape. "Or when you raised the underwater city back up to land!"
- ^ Mod Hohbien. "RS Content Q&A - pt 2." 19 February 2010. News & Announcements Forums.