Unannounced phenomena are various events in RuneScape that have at one time or another hinted to future updates.
Will o' the wispsEdit
The submarine was later featured in Hunt for Red Raktuber.
Normally, these messages will appear simply as "Woo Woos", however, when wearing an amulet of ghostspeak, players can understand their meaning.
Normally, ghosts don't speak via the chatbox, the only other records of a similar phenomena are inside the Underground Pass, before Iban is killed, and in the two existing chapters of the Curse of Zaros saga, this is where this concept came from.
All the possible phrases the voices say (to date):
- Help...beast...killing family.
- Please...can hear...help...slowly killing...all.
- Someone please...pain....away.
- Out there...need...is devouring...pain...stops.
- Beast life...me and...need help.
- Save...is dying...have much...left.
From 3 December 2009, Kuradal appeared in various Slayer-related locations, cast Stat Spy or Monster Examine on a player or monster in the area, then teleported away. She appeared at aberrant spectres, abyssal demons, bloodveld, blue dragons, dagannoth, dark beasts, gargoyles, green dragons, hellhounds, steel dragons and greater demons in Brimhaven Dungeon.
On 23 January 2010, at approximately 19:48 UTC, a strange power was felt by all players online at the time. This had a massive effect on the community, with the RuneScape Forums being flooded by speculation of what it could be and its true purpose.
Later, Jagex confirmed that the strange power was a hint towards Daemonheim, stating, "The strange power that knocked players to their feet in early 2010 came from Daemonheim, or so the Fremennik believe. Their seers traced the source of the power to come from this point in the Wilderness, and they gathered dozens of warriors to explore Daemonheim's depths. Not everyone has come back, however."
It turns out the strange power was due to the death of the last Chelon-Mah, as confirmed by Bilrach during the quest Dishonour among Thieves. The same thing happens in the background during one of the cutscenes in The Ritual of the Mahjarrat, when Jhallan is killed by Lucien.
The frozen door was present in the God Wars Dungeon since its release, but on 20 December 2010 an "open" option and a rumbling effect was added. When trying to open the door, a voice threatened the player with the following phrases:
- Mortals, only death awaits you here.
- Release me and know despair.
- Face me and know despair.
- All those who oppose us will perish.
- Give me the power of shadow!
- My revenge will be great.
- Face me and you will suffer.
- You cannot imprison me forever.
The area was later revealed to be the Ancient Prison, the Zaros dungeon.
On 2 July 2011, at roughly 19:03 UTC, large rocks fell from the sky, causing the screen to shake. The rocks remained in place for a few weeks until the release of Clan Citadels on 26 July 2011. Chickens started appearing around RuneScape after the update on 7 July 2011. The chickens had smoke covering them and disappear after approximately 10 seconds. Avalani also appeared at the Clan Camp throwing chickens into a portal. This is identical to the "Chicken" emote from the rock fragment reward from Cryptic Clue Fest III.
They appeared in the following locations:
- Piscatoris Fishing Colony
- Seers' Village
- Grand Exchange
- East Ardougne
- Tree Gnome Stronghold
Snowmen at Grand ExchangeEdit
He appeared at the following locations:
- Grand Exchange entrance
- Grand Exchange north-west corner near the underwall tunnel
- By the steps to the ruins by the Legends' Guild
- God Wars Dungeon entrance
During The World Wakes, the Shadowed Figure was revealed to be Sliske.
Tuska ComesEditAs a preview to Tuska Comes, Tuska's face showed up, tinted the screen cyan and shook the screen. Players fell and were given the message "You sense something is not right, as if this could be the beginning of the end."
A crashed rock also landed south of Barbarian Village, where it could be mined for meteor shards. Eventually, it would vanish and a single Docile strange insect along with a horde of Strange insects attack the players would spawn. The docile strange insect could then be lured to the Airut located at the Piscatoris Hunter area where upon arrival, all Airut will begin to chant out Tuska's name.
The Lord of VampyriumEdit
On 10 August 2015, and over the course of the following days, villagers began to disappear from Burgh de Rott. One villager, specific to each player, would go missing every day a player visited the village, having The Branches of Darkmeyer quest completed. Each time a villager disappeared a missing poster would appear; Amelia and Rory's dialogue about the Branches of Darkmeyer updated to note their disappearance. A total of 20 villagers disappeared from Burgh de Rott, leaving only Amelia, Rory, Aurel, Cornelius, Elisabeta and Radu behind.
- Teodor, Victor and Helena - Missing: Teodor - has he been harvested?
- Vasile - Missing: Vasile - last seen eating a rat.
- Catalina - Missing: Catalina - lost while playing hide and seek.
- Valeria - Missing: Valeria - gone, just like Gabriela and Marius.
- Sergiu - Missing: Sergiu - lost him, but found his missing shoe.
- Emilia - Missing: Emilia - it's unlikely she escaped to Misthalin.
- Luminata - Missing: Luminata - last seen eating a rat.
- Nicoleta - Missing: Nicoleta - out alone in the cold.
- Calin - Missing: Calin - gone, but not forgotten.
- Mihail - Missing: Mihail - where are you, Mihail?
- Ileana - Missing: Ileana - she owed me money.
- Sorin - Missing: Sorin - looking for new chess partner.
- Razvan - Missing: Razvan - rat population growing.
- Grigore - Missing: Grigore - last seen eating a rat.
- Ivan - Missing: Ivan - lost playing hide and seek.
- Luscion - Missing: Luscion - gone, but not forgotten.
- Simona - Missing: Simona - gone, but not forgotten.
- Florin - Missing: Florin. Wanted: Someone to throw tomatoes at strangers.
After 7 disappearances, Veliaf Hurtz gained new dialogue. Speaking with him, he'd reference the people who have disappeared from Burgh de Rott, and speak of rumours that Lord Lowerniel Drakan was poised to make his return.
The prerelease for Sliske's Endgame, an eclipse skybox and a message in chat, was activated on 17 December 2016. Players were also levitated and enveloped in a green light. However, the eclipse and its effects did not trigger for players that were in combat, in an instance, or in a cutscene.
The following messages also appeared once every 20 minutes, starting at 19:06 UTC from the top:
- Armadyl demands justice!
- Armadyl demands: Punish the wicked, defend the weak
- Muggers and bandits have received justice.. Armadyl has returned.
After the third message, Armadyl returned to the top of his tower. The third message was repeated 4 minutes after being originally broadcast. It is unclear whether or not that was intentional. Further messages started appearing approximately every 10 minutes at 20:00 UTC, starting from the top:
- Saradomin demands devotion at his altars.
- Saradomin finds your lack of faith disturbing. Show him your devotion.
- Saradomin applauds your faith. The god of wisdom has returned.
After the third message, Saradomin appeared at his throne in the altar room of the White Knights' Castle. Additionally, Commander Zilyana can also be found near the farming patch on the top of the castle, and Padomenes arrived in the castle courtyard, training several Saradominist crusaders. Messages began appearing approximately every 20 minutes at 20:30 UTC, starting from the top:
- Zamorak demands chaos.
- Zamorak, the god of chaos has returned.
All three gods can be spoken to and each have dialogue relating to Sliske's Endgame. The eclipse appeared again at 21:00 UTC. On free-to-play worlds, only Armadyl appeared and he could not be spoken to.
During a conversation in the "Lore FC" friend chat it was revealed by Mod Shauny that the summoning conditions for each god were, in order, killing muggers and bandits, praying at an altar (specifically the White Knight's?) with the Devotion ability activated, and creating as well as consuming a Super Zamorak Brew.
Multiple teasers appeared for the Magister boss, appearing on 6, 7, and 11 June 2017. Additionally, mysterious obelisks appeared within Menaphos. Interacting with them grants a large amount of city reputation.
The final message that appeared on 11 June 2017 was also broadcasted globally.
On 10 July 2017, there was a mysterious server-wide announcement that stated 7 days to go until the Announcement. It is unknown what this is referring to as no additional context was given. The message was also broadcasted on Old School RuneScape. Similar messages were tweeted on the social media accounts of Jagex employees that are working on both games.
Sliske's Endgame replayabilityEdit
On 24 January 2018, players once again felt a surge of energy which triggered their World Guardian powers, raising them into the air and causing them to glow green for a short time. Immediately following, the sky eclipsed itself as it had during the Sliske's Endgame prerelease teaser. Mod Shauny later confirmed on Twitter that the event was a teaser for the long-awaited Sliske's Endgame replayability.
- ^ Mod Shauny. "Sliske's Endgame: Pre-release." 17 December 2016. Recent Game Updates Forums.
- ^ a b Mod Shauny. Sliske's Endgame: Pre-release. reddit.com. 17 December 2016.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Osborne's Twitter account.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account.
- ^ Jagex. "RuneScape on Mobile – Coming Soon." RuneScape News.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Shauny's Twitter account. Mod Shauny: "Just to clarify before speculation runs wild, yes the Eclipse stuff is related to Sliske's Endgame, the last time we ran it was before Endgame came out in 2016, so thought we'd run it again before Replayability comes out. Hope you enjoyed it as it came out of nowhere :D"