- This quest has a quick guide, found here, which briefly summarises the steps needed to complete the quest.
|Release date||30 April 2002 (Update)|
|Quest series||Handelmort Mansion|
- This article is about the quest. For the quest item, see Totem. For the statue found in Tai Bwo Wannai Village, see Tribal statue.
|“||Lord Handelmort of Ardougne is a collector of exotic artefacts. A recent addition to his private collection is a strange looking totem from Karamja. The Rantuki Tribe are not happy about the recent disappearance of their totem.||”|
|Start point:||Speak to Kangai Mau in Brimhaven|
|Items required:||Items from the toolbelt do not need to be listed unless that version won't work, or aren't automatically added to it. |
About 90 coins. A Ring of Charos(a), Ardougne teleports and Karamja gloves lower the coins needed. An Amulet of glory will quicken transportation.
|Enemies to defeat:||None|
Start by talking to Kangai Mau in The Shrimp and Parrot restaurant, just west of the Brimhaven Agility Arena. A totem of his tribe has been stolen for the collection of Lord Handelmort, and he wants your help to recover it.
Once you have spoken to Kangai Mau go to Handelmort Mansion in East Ardougne, by using the ship north of the restaurant, or teleporting to the Ardougne lodestone. The Mansion is the large house directly east of the church, with two farming patches and several guard dogs in the grounds. Try to enter the house, then talk to Horacio, the gardener, about the house's security.
A new way of teleportationEdit
The only way into the house is by using a new teleporting invention from wizard Cromperty. Cromperty can be found in the house north-east of the Ardougne market. Ask Cromperty for the teleport in order to find the location of this teleport block; it is located in the tall crate at the RPDTdepot, which is just south of the market and south west of the bank.
Search the crate to the south of the crate containing the teleport block to find an address label. The label is addressed to Lord Handelmort. Use the label on the crate labelled "Senior Patents Clerk, Chamber of Invention, The Wizards' Tower, Misthalin" to cause the teleport block to be delivered to Lord Handelmort's house.
Once you have done this, talk to a RPDT employee and ask when the crate will be delivered. They say they could do so now. Return to the Wizard Cromperty and ask him to use his new teleport spell again. Make sure you are asking for the crate teleport and not the essence mine teleport.
Retrieving the totemEdit
Inside the house, try to go through the west door, there is a code lock on the door. The password is Lord Handelmort's middle name: K U R T. Enter the code using the left and right arrows. When the password is set, click enter to unlock the door.
Go through the door and investigate the stairs. If you don't, a trap will activate when using the stairs. The trapdoor leads to the Ardougne sewers. If you fall down the trap, talk to Cromperty again to be teleported back inside the house. Now go up the stairs and enter the room to the east. Open the chest and search it to find the Tribal Totem. You can obtain multiple Tribal Totems by using the drop trick.
- 1 Quest Point.
- 1775 experience
- 5 Swordfish. If you don't have enough inventory space, they will appear on the ground.
- 2 extra spins on the Squeal of Fortune
Required for completingEdit
Completion of Tribal Totem is required for the following:
- If you complete this quest, your Adventurer's Log will show "Kangai Mau of the Rantuki asked me to “retrieve” his tribe’s totem, which was stolen by Lord Handelmort of Ardougne."
- This quest is one of the shortest in RuneScape, able to be completed from start to finish in less than 4 minutes. Tribal Totem is one of the shortest Members quest, together with Tears of Guthix.
- Lord Handelmort's middle name is KURT, however in Runescape Classic it was BRAD.
- Lord Handelmort may be a reference to the Harry Potter series, in which Harry fights a man with a similar name, Lord Voldemort.
- When talking to Horacio he will almost reveal the combination to a door in the mansion and then say "Hum. I probably shouldn't have said that." This may be a reference to the Harry Potter series where Hagrid reveals the secret of Fluffy. Additionally, Horatio is a gardener in the quest while Hagrid is a gamekeeper in the Harry Potter series which strengthens a bond between the two.
- Tribal Totem was the first quest to incorporate Thieving.