Treasure Trails (also known as TT) is one of the Distractions and Diversions available to members in which a player follows a series of clues to get a reward. A treasure trail is started by finding a clue scroll. Clue scrolls are dropped by various monsters and give the player their first clue to follow. Players choosing to train the skill Slayer will find clue scrolls often. Players will only be able to receive a new clue scroll if they do not already have one in their inventory or bank (or in their Kingdom Management resources). For a list of clue-dropping monsters, please see the list of clue scroll dropping monsters. Most unique rewards (with some notable exceptions) can be placed in the Treasure chests in the Costume room of a player-owned house. Completed Treasure Trails are now recorded in-game. After you complete a Treasure Trail, a message comes up in the chat box indicating how many Treasure Trails have been completed per difficulty.
There are four levels of clue scroll difficulty, with better rewards available as the difficulty increases. After the player has completed the last clue, they will receive a reward. At least one of the reward items received will be an item unique to Treasure Trails (i.e. not obtainable by other means). For example, if a level one clue scroll is finished, one might get black (t) armour and some nature runes. Because of the small chance of receiving items worth millions of coins, a player may choose to do Treasure Trails to make money. However, players could go through hundreds of clues without finding anything of great value.
The value of rewards can range from about 100 coins to over 1,000,000,000 coins, but more commonly is between 10,000 and 3,000,000 coins.
- Easy clue scroll rewards range from as few as 100 coins to 7 million coins.
- Medium clue scroll rewards range between 2000 coins to over 20 million coins.
- Hard clue scrolls average around 60,000 coins, but can be as low as 1,000 to over 300,000,000 coins (possible by obtaining valuable third-age pieces or barrows/shadow dyes)
- Elite clue scrolls average between 100,000 to over 200,000,000 coins, and can easily be higher if the player is lucky enough to receive an elite level-specific rewards worth millions, such as the Fury ornament kit (1,263,431 coins), the highest level rewards include all dyes for the tier 90 weapons and armour.
Clues can involve following maps, solving puzzles, finding coordinates, talking to various NPCs and fighting monsters.
- Easy trails can be between 1 and 5 clues long with few or no quest requirements.
- Medium trails can be between 1 and 6 clues long with some quest requirements.
- Hard trails can be between 1 and 8 clues long, with multiple enemies to defeat and can have high-levelled quest requirements.
- Elite trails can be between 5 and 10 clues long, with multiple fights, puzzles in almost every step (if there is no fighting), and have some moderately high-levelled quest requirements.
Note that trails that have more clues and require a longer period of time to complete do not necessarily guarantee the chances of a more valuable prize. The prize obtained is determined when the casket is obtained at the end of the trail, and is not affected by the length of the clue trail. It is also extremely uncommon to get only 1 or 2 clues on the level 2 and level 3 clue scrolls.
- See Treasure Trails/Guide for more information.
The following are the types of clues obtained during Treasure Trails:
- Celtic knots
- Challenge scrolls
- Emote clues
- Puzzle boxes
- Simple clues
Players receive various rewards when their Trail is completed, as the picture to the right shows. The rewards are randomly picked, and usually three or more different rewards are given in return. Players automatically receive the rewards when they talk to someone (e.g. by completing a puzzle box). Otherwise, they will get a casket instead, which contains their rewards. Players may reroll their rewards if they are unsatisfactory, but they must complete three of the same difficulty of clues to reroll their rewards. So if a player wants to reroll an unsatisfactory hard clue reward, they must complete three hard clues (this includes the unsatisfactory clue) in order to do so.
Rewards from any levelEdit
The items listed below are the rewards that are possible to receive from all levels of Treasure Trails. These items are not guaranteed rewards, only possibilities.
Image Name 2,500–50,000 Coins 2–27 Purple sweets. 4–27 Biscuits  Various Teleport scrolls God pages for God books. Gnomish firelighters. 20–100 Saradomin, Guthix, or Zamorak arrows Meerkats pouches or fetch casket scrolls
- ^ A maximum of 200 biscuits can be stored before you will stop receiving biscuits as a reward.
The items listed below are the rewards you can get from level 1 Treasure Trails.
Non-unique Clue Rewards Image Name Image Name Black 2h crossbow, Black crossbow, or Off-hand black crossbow Mithril arrows or black bolts Mithril armour Staff of air, fire, earth, or water Air, Fire, Earth, or Water talismans 150 Air, Fire, Earth, or Water runes 20 Law or Nature runes 150 Pure essence 20 Oak Planks 10 Hard leather Prismatic small fallen star
The items listed below are the rewards you can get from level 2 Treasure Trails.
Unique Clue Rewards Image Name Willow, yew, or magic composite bows Trimmed adamant armour Gold-trimmed adamant armour Ranger or Wizard boots Black, red, or brown headbands Red, orange, green, blue, or black boaters Trimmed green dragonhide armour gold-trimmed green dragonhide armour Adamant heraldic armour (h1—h5) Black, white, or purple elegant costumes Saradomin, Guthix, or Zamorak mitres or cloak Armadyl, Bandos, or Ancient robe top or legs Penguin, sheep, bat, cat, or wolf animal masks. Amulet of strength (t) Adamant cane Pith helmet Briefcase, Off-hand briefcase Non-unique Clue Rewards Image Name Image Name Adamant crossbow, Adamant longsword, Adamant 2h sword Adamant armour Adamant arrows or Adamant bolts Green d'hide body or chaps Air, Fire, Earth, or Water battlestaffs 300 Air, Fire, Earth, or Water runes 20–75 Law or Nature runes 300 Pure essence 4 Teak planks 5 Green dragonhide
The items listed below are the rewards you can get from level 3 Treasure Trails. These and the elite clue scrolls are the only levels of clue scrolls from which the rare third age armour rewards may be received.
Non-unique Clue Rewards Image Name Image Name Rune pickaxe, Rune longsword, or Rune 2h sword Rune armour Black d'hide body or Black d'hide chaps 150 Rune arrows Mystic air, Mystic fire, Mystic earth, or Mystic water staffs 75 Law, Nature, Astral or Blood runes 5 Super attack, Super defense, or Super strength potions 9 Super energy or Antifire potions 24 Mahogany planks 5 Black dragonhide Starved ancient effigy
The items listed below are the rewards you can get from level 4 Treasure Trails.
Unique Clue Rewards Image Name Third-age druidic equipment  Armadyl rune armour Bandos rune armour Ancient rune armour Armadyl d'hide Bandos d'hide Ancient d'hide Armadyl, Bandos, or Ancient Vestment stoles or croziers Fury ornament kit, dragon full helm (or), platebody (or), platelegs/skirt (or), sq shield (or), dragon full helm (sp), platebody (sp), platelegs/skirt (sp), or sq shield (sp) ornament kits Saradomin, Guthix or Zamorak bows. Bat, wolf, dragon, cat, or penguin animal staves Black dragon, bronze dragon, iron dragon, steel dragon, mithril dragon, or frost dragon animal masks Third-age dye, Barrows dye, or Shadow dye Sack of effigies Backstab cape
- ^ A maximum of 200 biscuits can be stored before you will stop receiving biscuits as a reward.
Non-unique Clue Rewards Image Name Image Name A Court summons A Starved ancient effigy Crystal triskelion fragments Palm tree, Papaya tree or Yew seeds 2 Dwarf weed or Lantadyme seeds 15 Super energy or Antifire potions 9 Prayer potions 8 Water talisman 15 Swamp lizards 5 Rune bars 10 Unicorn horns 15 Royal dragonhide 12 Onyx bolt tips 2 Uncut dragonstones 8 Battlestaff 40 Mahogany planks Dragon helm Rune platebody Prismatic large fallen star
- Clue scroll
- Treasure Trails/Guide, guides for Treasure Trails
- List of clue scroll dropping monsters
- List of items needed for emote clues
- A Void Dance, a quest that features a treasure trail as part of the storyline
- Grand Exchange Market Watch/Treasure Trails
- Flatpacked furniture pieces were a former reward from Treasure Trails. Level 1 scrolls would give oak, level 2 would give teak, and level 3 would give gilded furniture and opulent tables. These rewards were removed by request of players.
- The rewards are calculated in the final stage of a trail. This means that the rewards of the clue scroll are not set in stone when the scroll is first picked up. As a consequence, if a rollback occurs and reverts the game to a time before the clue was finished the player will most likely receive a different reward than originally received.
- If players are in a player-owned house or any other place that is not on the surface of Gielinor, the arrow on the compass will spin counter-clockwise.
- If players try to open a casket from a trail in a player-owned house or player-owned port, the following message is obtained: You cannot open a casket or solve a clue in this area.
- Despite the fact that items such as trimmed armour, god pages and god armour can be obtained through use of the Columbarium, they are still counted as Treasure Trail items.
- With the release of Treasure Trails expansion, the following has occurred:
- There is currently a bug where if a player gets rewards from a person (via talking or finishing a puzzle box), the reward music will occur but the player will be unable to see what rewards they were given unless they exit dialogue with the person they talked to for the clue.
- Prior to the expansion, when doing Hard coordinate clues outside of the Wilderness, Saradomin wizards attacked the player when they dug there. At the moment, Zamorak wizards attack the player at every hard coordinate spot, including those where Saradomin wizards would never have been fought in, such as the Duel Arena. This is a glitch that has yet to be fixed.
- ^ Less than a 1/1,000,000 chance for any piece - https://twitter.com/JagexTimbo/status/557601357314945025