|Release||27 September 2006 (Update)|
|High alch||21 coins|
|Low alch||14 coins|
|Examine||Basic training sword.|
A Training sword is a beginner weapon that has been discontinued and is currently unavailable to use unless already owned. It has the same stats as a bronze longsword, except the training sword has a +1 magic defence bonus and -2 strength less.
It used to be obtained free from the Melee Tutor, northeast of the Lumbridge castle wall, or by Sir Vant during the tutorial. It could be replaced if lost, but only one could be obtained at any time. It was recommended for new players to get this sword right after Tutorial Island. It was then later sold by Beefy Bill.
Low-levelled magic users often used the training sword in combat as it once added a small amount of magical defence, unlike many other swords, which greatly decrease magic defence. This is no longer the case, as the Evolution of Combat made it a melee weapon with no benefits to magic.
The Advisors and Objectives update on 17 September 2009 removed the Melee Tutor who originally gave out the Training swords. Jagex said in the update post that they would be available from general stores, however no store actually sold the sword, making it and all other training weapons discontinued, seemingly by mistake. On 13 October 2009, training swords were made available again for purchase from Beefy Bill for 35 gold. On 11 April 2012, with a shop interface update, they were removed from his stock, making the swords once again discontinued.
|Armour||0||PvM: 0%||PvP: 0%|
|Life points||0||Style bonuses|
|[FAQ] • [doc]|
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||98.9%|
- The training sword used to have a "Destroy" option.
- When the sword, alongside the training bow, arrows and shield, were made available again after being made temporarily discontinued, players who attempted to drop the sword found a Destroy message saying that you may claim it back from the Melee tutor, even though he does not give them out any more. The Training bow, Training arrows and Training shield also suffered this bug. This has been fixed and it now drops onto the floor properly.
- Some people refer to the training sword as the "blurite shortsword" and the actual blurite sword as the "blurite longsword" as the training sword looks like a shorter version of the blurite sword.
- It looks somewhat similar to the Master Sword from the Legend of Zelda series.
- By its old animations, it was actually used and held like a dagger.
- There appears to be a training sword on the counter of the Grand Exchange buildings.
- This item cannot be placed in a keepsake box.