|The RuneScape feature in this page/section has limited appearances due to an update by Jagex.|
|Release date||27 September 2006 (Update)|
|High Alch||0 coins|
|Low Alch||0 coins|
|Store price||Not sold|
|Examine||Made of flimsy painted wood.|
The Training shield is a beginner's item that has been discontinued and is currently unavailable to use unless already owned. The shield has the appearance of a white decorative shield and has the same bonuses as a wooden shield.
It could originally be obtained for free from the melee combat tutor east of Lumbridge Castle. Players were only allowed one shield at any time. On 17 September 2009, Training shields were made no longer obtainable from tutors. This made the Training Shield (along with the training sword) officially a discontinued item and, over time, a rare find among players. However, on 13 October 2009 Training shields became available again, this time for purchase from Beefy Bill for 55 coins. They became discontinued once again with the shop interface update of 11 April 2012.
Formerly, the shield could only be destroyed; as opposed to now since it can be dropped.
A player wields a training shield
|[view] • [talk]|
- It is called a "Blurite kiteshield" by some players, as it does look like it is made of Blurite, though the examine text state's it's made out of "flimsy painted wood".
- When the shield first came out, it looked exactly like the white decorative shield, becoming very popular amongst free players immediately. Players that had spent a large amount of time playing Castle Wars to purchase the white decorative shield disliked the fact someone could walk around with the training shield and say they had a white decorative shield. Jagex changed the training shield's look by removing the blue line going across the shield, causing it to appear slightly different than the decorative shield.
- Few days before the first discontinued event, there was known to be a glitch where the shield will eventually "pop out" from their left hand during either pose of resting. This caused players to claim the Training shield and gathered in front of the Lumbridge Castle. A few days later, this bug was fixed and the shield goes discontinued for the first time.
- When the shield was made available again after being made temporarily discontinued, players who attempted to drop the shield found the destroy message telling them you may claim it back from the Melee tutor, even though he does not give them out any more. The Training bow, Training arrows and Training sword also suffered this bug. This has been fixed and it now drops onto the floor properly.
- This is the only white coloured shield available for free to play players.
- It has the same defence bonuses as the wooden shield despite being bigger than the wooden shield.
- Surprisingly enough, when bloom is on, the shield offers more glow than most metal shields, even though it is a wooden shield.
- All Training items were discontinued when Jagex updated the shops on 11 April 2012, making all training items rare and valued as a show off item.