|Release date||9 September 2009 (Update)|
|Location||Keldagrim Trade Octagon|
|Examine||A trader for the mining company.|
The eight ruling companies of Keldagrim, the Consortium, are in constant need of labour, ore, and mining rights. Although some transactions are done formally behind desks by the companies' directors and secretaries, the large amount of trading performed often requires less formal methods. To accomplish this, the Consortium has hired traders to perform trades in the Trade Octagon.
Two traders for each company stand on each side of the Octagon, found in the centre of the city. Here they shout out their offers and look for potential deals. To help oversee this, the Trade Referee stands in the centre of the Octagon and ensures that the octagon runs as smoothly as possible.
Traders do not currently have roles in any quests, and cannot be talked to, but at level 90 Thieving, players may pickpocket them. Initially, an activity was planned for the Octagon, but as confirmed by a Jagex Moderator, this scheme has now been abandoned, replaced instead with the thieving element.
From 9 September 2009, players can pickpocket the traders. This requires a Thieving level of 90 and gives 556.5 experience if successful. The odds of success when pickpocketing traders seem to be better than elves and heroes. If a player fails to pickpocket a dwarf trader, they will be stunned for a few seconds and dealt 10 damage.
Pickpocketing traders can yield both very high experience rates and a sizable profit. An Ardougne cloak (3 or 4) will significantly improve a player's success rate when pickpocketing the traders, as well as gloves of silence. Using these two items, players should be able to gain over 180,000 experience an hour.
There are trade floor guards around which will attack you if you fail to pickpocket the trader. The best way to handle these is to attack them with low level weapons and lure them into a nearby room to trap them. This way you can thieve without being bothered.
With the Trahaearn exoskeleton set and the best items below it is possible to get approximately 380 - 440k Thieving Experience per hour here.
It is recommended that players who plan on pickpocketing traders bring a number of items to maximise their experience and profit rate.
- The Ardougne cloak 3 (or 4) provides an increased success chance when pickpocketing throughout RuneScape.
- Bandit's brew, Sq'irk juice, or the Thieving skillcape can also help your overall Thieving level and probability of pickpocketing. Alternatives include Magpie or Abyssal Lurker familiars and their scrolls, boosting Thieving by 2 and 4 respectively. Boosting your Thieving level to 100 or higher may allow you to double-pickpocket traders (with 90 Agility).
- Gloves of silence will also improve the wearer's rate of success when pickpocketing. If a player does not want to use gloves of silence, then it is recommended that they use a regen bracelet to conserve food. Many players prefer using the regen bracelet over the gloves of silence however, due to the rapid rate of which the gloves deteriorate, and the seemingly minimal effect the gloves have on the chances of pickpocketing traders.
- The Black Ibis outfit obtained from Pyramid Plunder. Provides a 1% boost with one piece up to a full 5% boost with all four pieces.
- The Trahaearn exoskeleton set that increases successful pickpockets (the set includes gloves, so cannot be combined with gloves of silence)
- The Five-finger discount aura
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Bronze bar 1 (noted) Common 220 Iron bar 1 (noted) Common 605 Steel bar 1 (noted) Common 1,139 Mithril bar 1 (noted) Common 1,797 Adamant bar 1 (noted) Rare 3,192 Rune bar 1 (noted) Rare 14,232
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coal 1 (noted) Common 233 Tin ore 1 (noted) Common 71 Copper ore 1 (noted) Common 77 Iron ore 1 (noted) Common 357 Mithril ore 1 (noted) Common 589 Adamantite ore 1 (noted) Rare 2,000 Runite ore 1 (noted) Rare 11,306
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Barberry seed 1 Common 1 Butterfly flower seed 1 Common 123 Fly trap seed 1 Common 1 Prickly pear seed 1 Common 1 Sunchoke seed 1 Common 1 Potato cactus seed 1 Uncommon 62 Reed seed 1 Uncommon 3,528 Grapevine seed 1 Rare 11,124 Snape grass seed 1 Rare 2,270 Wishing well bush seed 1 Rare 1
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 100, 400 Common Not sold Clue scroll (hard) 1 Rare Not sold Clue scroll (elite) 1 Very rare Not sold Court summons 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold