|Release date||17 July 2007 (Update)|
|Location(s)||Several (see article)|
|Examine||Get useful information from this guy.|
According to the Varrock Census in the library, the name of the Varrock town crier is Gryff Aldock.
Players can know they are near one if they have sound on by the bell ring they make.
When a player moderator in-game talks to a town crier, they have access to a few more questions to ask him. These are likely to be player moderator-related questions.
The Town crier in East Ardougne is one of the NPCs you can start the Ardougne Tasks by talking to, and will give you the Ardougne cloak 2 as a reward for completing the medium tasks. If you lose the cloak, you can talk to him for another.
- East Ardougne - in the market - this one can be helpful to players stealing cakes from the baker in Ardougne as he gets in the way of the guards and keeps the player safe.
- Draynor Village - in the market
- Falador - near the west bank
- Varrock - near the east bank, and next to the dummy place, and the park (called Gryff Aldock, according to the Varrock Census of 160)
- Seers' Village - near the bank
- The town crier also seems to be one of the few NPCs who is aware that RuneScape is a "computer game," as he says "...go to the website for more information." This is an example of a character "breaking the fourth wall".
- When asked about player moderators, and then how to become one, the crier's final suggestion is "Be excellent to each other!" This is a reference to Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.
- If a player moderator talks to a town crier, he or she has more in-depth information about player moderators, including quick access to their guidelines.
- He has a gravestone in the New Varrock graveyard which reads "Gryff Aldock. Town crier. Killed at Lord Zemouregal's command (he likes his lie-ins)."
- During the Port Sarim Invasion the town criers occasionally cried: "Pirates have launched a raid on Port Sarim's jail! The prison guards are calling for support!"