- This article has a strategy guide here.
|Release date||15 September 2008 (Update)|
|XP per kill||139.2 (and 45.9 experience)|
|Assigned by||Turael or Spria, Mazchna or Achtryn|
|Examine text||The wraith of a long-dead prisoner.|
The tormented wraith is the spirit of a prisoner who was tortured and killed long ago by the Kinshra (Black Knights). It resides in the Spirit Realm and can be accessed through the invisible portal at the centre of the Dark Warriors' Fortress, using Jennica's ring. Completion of Summer's End is required to access this area.
Because of the cruelty inflicted upon it by the Black Knights, the tormented wraith carries extreme animosity for them. It only fights players who are wearing a full set of the equipment of a Black Knight, and is aggressive to all such players. Without the proper equipment, players cannot even attack the wraith. Additionally, while in combat with the tormented wraith, players cannot change their equipped items in order to make the tormented wraith unaggressive.
The wraith attacks with magic, which can be partially blocked with Protect from Magic. The tormented wraith is the only monster besides the Corporeal Beast to drop holy elixirs, which are used to make blessed spirit shields. It can also drop regular spirit shields and has a fairly high drop rate of blue charms.
A full set of Black armour and weapons must be worn in order to be able to fight the Tormented wraith. See following table for more information:
|Slot||Allowed items||Not allowed|
|Headwear||Black full helm, Black helm, Elite black full helm||(t), (g), (h) versions|
|Body||Black chainbody, Black platebody, Elite black platebody||(t), (g), (h) versions|
|Legs||Black platelegs, Black plateskirt, Elite black platelegs||(t), (g), (h) versions|
|Shield (only if a two-handed weapon is not equipped)||Black kiteshield, Black square shield, Black defender||(t), (g), (h) versions|
|Weapon||Any Black melee weapons, Black darts||Black crossbow (even if using black bolts), black knives|
Note: All other slots (amulet, cape, gloves, boots, ring, and aura) are optional, do not require black equipment, and may be filled by choice.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Black kiteshield 1 Common 1,286 Black platelegs 1 Common 3,316 Black chainbody 1 Common 836 Black full helm 1 Common 407 Black helm 1 Common 850 Black platebody 1 Uncommon 2,526
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Death rune 10 Uncommon 930 Blood rune 7 Uncommon 1,141 Chaos rune 15 Uncommon 615
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 1,095 kills.
1 charm is dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Herbs that drop in pairs can be different herbs.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Grimy guam 1–2 Uncommon 539–1,078 Grimy marrentill 1–2 Uncommon 44–88 Grimy tarromin 1–2 Uncommon 249–498 Grimy harralander 1–2 Uncommon 652–1,304 Grimy ranarr 1–2 Uncommon 2,160–4,320 Grimy irit 1–2 Uncommon 1,743–3,486 Grimy avantoe 1–2 Rare 4,128–8,256 Grimy kwuarm 1–2 Rare 2,471–4,942 Grimy cadantine 1–2 Rare 2,507–5,014 Grimy lantadyme 1–2 Rare 7,850–15,700 Grimy dwarf weed 1–2 Rare 8,195–16,390
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 75–993 Uncommon Not sold Iron ore 50 (noted) Uncommon 9,000 Adamant bar 3 Uncommon 9,504 Oak plank 80 (noted) Uncommon 44,720 Prayer potion (3) 2 Uncommon 2,824 Big bones 5 Uncommon 2,245 Spirit shield 1 Rare 40,353 Holy elixir 1 Very rare 807,518 Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold Spin ticket 1 Rare Not sold
Messages from the tormented wraith often show up in the chatbox. Players who are not wearing a ghostspeak amulet (or completed Morytania hard tasks) only see "Woo wooo woo", but players with one equipped may see the following messages:
- "The stench of Kinshra still lingers in my wounds."
- "I can feel them closing in."
- "I must have my vengeance."
- "Bring me the dark warriors or suffer my displeasure!"
- "I will not rest until every black knight is dead."
- "Bid farewell to your breath, black knight!"
- "Prepare to suffer as I have!"
- "You shall die for what you did to me!"
- "Zamorak cannot save you from my wrath!"
- "Suffer the pain of my torment, wretch!"
- "Spill your life for me!"
- "Coward! Hiding behind your false gods!" (versus players who are using Protect from/deflect Melee)
- "Your dark prayers will not keep you safe forever!" (versus players who are using protect from/Deflect Melee)
- "Accept your punishment, weakling!"
- On the first day of release no melee experience could be gained by killing this monster.
- It was once possible to fight the tormented wraith from a safespot, but this was eventually removed. On 2 September 2009, Mod Emilee confirmed that the removal was unintentional:
|“|| "Did you remove some of the safe spots on purpose?"
No, they were affected by the game engine changes.
We shall be investigating them on a case by case basis.
— Mod Emilee
- It is possible to unequip a piece of black equipment right after the wraith attacks, and be unable to retaliate against it. Fortunately, it is possible to re-equip this piece of black equipment.
- There is no music track for the tormented wraith's area.
- Attempting to unequip a piece of equipment results in a chat box message, "You can't get yourself to change equipment in the presence of the angry wraith."
- If you attempt to attack the wraith without the correct equipment, the chat box says, "You raise your weapon to attack the wraith, but for some strange reason you find yourself physically unable to go through with it."
- Despite this, you can still get the same result if you are unarmed. This may be an oversight from Jagex.
- Dreadnips are unable to attack the wraith so they immediately leave.
- The Ectoplasmator only rewards 4.5 prayer experience, despite it being a higher level compared to other ghosts rewarding higher xp.
- When the wraith respawns, some actions (such as price checking) will be interrupted.
- If after you have entered the spirit realm via the ring and you attempt to walk out of the castle doors in the spirit realm, you will respawn in the real world inside of the gallows with the skeleton hung on it. You can get out of it by moving one square north and cannot walk back onto it. If an item is dropped on the gallows, it will appear to float in mid-air above you. If you move off the gallows, you can still get the item back by clicking on it which causes you to pick it up as if you were taking it from a table. This glitch has not yet been fixed.