- This article has a related strategy guide here.
|Release date||15 September 2008 (Update)|
|XP per kill||139.2 (and 45.9 experience)|
|Examine text||The wraith of a long-dead prisoner.|
|Assigned by||Turael or Spria, Mazchna or Achtryn|
The tormented wraith is the spirit of a prisoner who was tortured and killed long ago by the Kinshra (Black Knights). It resides in the Spirit Realm and can be accessed through the invisible portal at the centre of the Dark Warriors' Fortress, using Jennica's ring. Completion of Summer's End is required to access this area.
Because of the cruelty inflicted upon it by the Black Knights, the tormented wraith carries extreme animosity toward them. It only fights players who are wearing a full set of the equipment of a Black Knight, and is aggressive to all such players. Without the proper equipment, players cannot even attack the wraith. Additionally, while in combat with the tormented wraith, players cannot change their equipped items in order to make the tormented wraith unaggressive.
The wraith attacks with magic, which can be partially blocked with Protect from Magic. The tormented wraith is the only monster besides the Corporeal Beast to drop holy elixirs, which are used to make blessed spirit shields. It can also drop regular spirit shields and has a fairly high drop rate of blue charms.
A full set of Black armour and weapons must be worn in order to be able to fight the Tormented wraith. See following table for more information:
|Slot||Allowed items||Not allowed|
|Head||Black helm or full helm, Elite black full helm||(t), (g), (h) versions|
|Body||Black chainbody or platebody, Elite black platebody||(t), (g), (h) versions|
|Legs||Black platelegs or plateskirt, Elite black platelegs||(t), (g), (h) versions|
|Weapon||Any Black melee weapon, Black darts, Black knives||Black crossbow (even if using black bolts)|
|Shield (if a two-handed weapon is not equipped)||Black square shield or kiteshield, Black defender, Off-hand black weapons||(t), (g), (h) versions|
Note: All other slots (amulet, cape, gloves, boots, ring, and aura) are optional, do not require black equipment, and may be filled by choice.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Black kiteshield 1 Common 911 Black platelegs 1 Common 2,729 Black chainbody 1 Common 969 Black full helm 1 Common 507 Black helm 1 Common 677 Black platebody 1 Uncommon 1,946
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Black longsword 1 Uncommon 259 Off-hand black longsword 1 Uncommon 1,369 Mithril dart 23 Uncommon 92
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Death rune 10 Uncommon 1,160 Blood rune 7 Uncommon 1,925 Chaos rune 15 Uncommon 615
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 1,146 kills.
1 charm is dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Herbs that drop in pairs can be different herbs.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Grimy guam 1–2 Uncommon 625–1,250 Grimy marrentill 1–2 Uncommon 85–170 Grimy tarromin 1–2 Uncommon 43–86 Grimy harralander 1–2 Uncommon 189–378 Grimy ranarr 1–2 Uncommon 2,693–5,386 Grimy irit 1–2 Uncommon 2,526–5,052 Grimy avantoe 1–2 Rare 4,478–8,956 Grimy kwuarm 1–2 Rare 2,344–4,688 Grimy cadantine 1–2 Rare 2,003–4,006 Grimy lantadyme 1–2 Rare 9,297–18,594 Grimy dwarf weed 1–2 Rare 10,845–21,690
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 75–993 Uncommon Not sold Iron ore 50 (noted) Uncommon 18,850 Adamant bar 3 Uncommon 12,051 Oak plank 80 (noted) Uncommon 64,240 Prayer potion (3) 2 Uncommon 4,420 Big bones 5 Uncommon 2,795 Spirit shield 1 Rare 40,016 Spirit sapphire 1 Rare Not sold Spirit emerald 1 Rare Not sold Spirit ruby 1 Rare Not sold Ectoplasmator 1 Very rare Not sold Holy elixir 1 Very rare 952,897 Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold
- Universal drops are dropped by every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Key token 1 Rare Not sold
Messages from the tormented wraith often show up in the chatbox. Players who are not wearing a ghostspeak amulet (or completed Morytania hard tasks) only see "Woo wooo woo", but players with one equipped may see the following messages:
- "The stench of Kinshra still lingers in my wounds."
- "I can feel them closing in."
- "I must have my vengeance."
- "Bring me the dark warriors or suffer my displeasure!"
- "I will not rest until every black knight is dead."
- "Bid farewell to your breath, black knight!"
- "Prepare to suffer as I have!"
- "You shall die for what you did to me!"
- "Zamorak cannot save you from my wrath!"
- "Suffer the pain of my torment, wretch!"
- "Spill your life for me!"
- "Coward! Hiding behind your false gods!" (versus players who are using Protect from/Deflect Melee)
- "Your dark prayers will not keep you safe forever!" (versus players who are using Protect from/Deflect Melee)
- "Accept your punishment, weakling!"
- On the first day of release no melee experience could be gained by killing this monster.
- It was once possible to fight the tormented wraith from a safespot, but this was eventually removed. On 2 September 2009, Mod Emilee confirmed that the removal was unintentional:
|“|| "Did you remove some of the safe spots on purpose?"
No, they were affected by the game engine changes.
We shall be investigating them on a case by case basis.
— Mod Emilee
- It is possible to unequip a piece of black equipment right after the wraith attacks, and be unable to retaliate against it. Fortunately, it is possible to re-equip this piece of black equipment.
- There is no music track for the tormented wraith's area.
- Attempting to unequip a piece of equipment results in a chat box message, "You can't get yourself to change equipment in the presence of the angry wraith."
- If you attempt to attack the wraith without the correct equipment, the chat box says, "You raise your weapon to attack the wraith, but for some strange reason you find yourself physically unable to go through with it." Despite this, you still get the same result if unarmed.
- Dreadnips are unable to attack the wraith so they immediately leave.
- The Ectoplasmator only rewards 4.5 prayer experience, despite it being a higher level compared to other ghosts rewarding higher xp.
- When the wraith respawns, some actions (such as price checking) will be interrupted.
- If after you have entered the spirit realm via the ring and you attempt to walk out of the castle doors in the spirit realm, you will respawn in the real world inside of the gallows with the skeleton hung on it. You can get out of it by moving one square north and cannot walk back onto it. If an item is dropped on the gallows, it will appear to float in mid-air above you. If you move off the gallows, you can still get the item back by clicking on it which causes you to pick it up as if you were taking it from a table. This glitch has not yet been fixed.