|Release date||26 November 2008 (Update)|
|XP per kill||2,321.2 (and 765.9 experience)|
|Always drops||Infernal ashes|
|Examine text||Lucien must be incredibly powerful if he can bind such demons to his will.|
|Assigned by||Kuradal, Morvran|
Tormented demons are massive demons summoned and controlled by the Mahjarrat Lucien. They first appear in the Grandmaster quest While Guthix Sleeps, wherein Lucien uses Daemonicas Abhoris to summon two demons in the Ancient Guthix Temple and place them into a state of perpetual physical agony, healing their bodies as they burn and making them extremely hostile and aggressive. After the quest is complete, a total of six tormented demons may be found in the Temple. The ability to have them assigned as slayer tasks by Kuradal can be purchased using 50 slayer points after completion of While Guthix Sleeps.
Tormented demons possess a number of formidable powers. They can attack with all three combat styles, shield themselves from damage, and even use protection prayers. They are often killed (either by single players, or teams of players) for their unique drops, namely dragon limbs, used to forge the dragon crossbow (which is in turn used to forge the Ascension crossbow), as well as the pieces of the dragon platebody. They also drop the dragon claw and off-hand dragon claw, both as part of the same drop, which are used to craft chaotic claws. Aside from these, they have a number of other valuable drops, such as charms, herbs, armour and weapons, and clue scrolls.
Despite being demons, these monsters do not take increased damage from holy water, although it does remove their fire shield. Additionally, dwarf multicannons cannot be set up in the tormented demons' lair. They can be easily killed with two combat styles, or one if a player uses a Steel titan to aid killing them.
Tormented demons attack with melee, Magic and Ranged, though they only use one style at a time. They can hit up to 1150 damage with any of these attack styles, and with very high accuracy; their attacks often hit players regardless of Defence level or armour quality. Fortunately, protection prayers fully block their attacks, so prayer switching is an effective and essential tactic when fighting them. Tormented demons change attack styles every 16 seconds or so; when they do, they rear back and roar, creating an area-of-effect Magic attack that can hit players behind cover. Their weakness changes randomly.
Defensively, tormented demons use protection prayers based on the combat style that is dealing the most damage to them. Once a tormented demon takes 3100 damage from a given attack style, it changes its protection prayer to defend against that style. For this purpose, any hit below 200 damage counts as 200 damage, unless the attack misses. Tormented demons' protection prayers do not run out, and for this reason at least two combat styles are necessary when fighting the demons. In addition to their protection prayers, each tormented demon is surrounded by a fire shield that reduces all damage dealt to them by roughly 75%. This shield can be taken down for 60 seconds by a successful hit with Darklight or Holy water. Each non-zero hit from either weapon resets the 60-second counter, and both auto-attacks and abilities work. (Note that for the purposes of their prayer-switching, hits through the fire shield are counted without the damage reduction.) The shield cannot be taken down with Darklight while the demon is using Protect from Melee, or with holy water and Protect from Ranged. Once stripped of their shields, tormented demons have relatively low Defence for their combat level.
Finally, the six tormented demons in the Ancient Guthix Temple are fairly close together. It is highly dangerous to be attacked by multiple demons at once because, as previously stated, their attacks are highly accurate. The most common tactic for dealing with their numbers is to lure all but one demon into a position where they become trapped, and then engage the remaining demon in combat.
|Tormented demon spawns. Click to view a larger version (opens on a new page).|
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Infernal ashes 1 Always 2,118
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 1,902 kills.
3 charms are dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 15 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Adamant battleaxe 1 Common 1,935 Rune mace 1 Common 7,842 Rune sword 1 Common 11,916 Dragon claw 1 Rare 221,172 Off-hand dragon claw 1 Rare 145,695
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Rune sq shield 1 Common 22,335 Rune chainbody 1 Uncommon 29,002 Rune full helm 1 Uncommon 20,116
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Avantoe seed 1–2 Common 2,417–4,834 Belladonna seed 1 Common 82 Harralander seed 1–2 Common 12–24 Jangerberry seed 1–3 Common 1–3 Marrentill seed 1–2 Common 20–40 Bittercap mushroom spore 1 Common 15 Wildblood seed 1–3 Common 152–456 Kwuarm seed 1–2 Common 60–120 Cactus seed 4–10 Uncommon 148–370 Limpwurt seed 1–2 Uncommon 1,123–2,246 Ranarr seed 1–3 Uncommon 1,306–3,918 Spirit weed seed 1–2 Uncommon 294–588 Strawberry seed 1–4 Uncommon 524–2,096 Toadflax seed 1–2 Uncommon 917–1,834 Whiteberry seed 1–3 Uncommon 9–27 Dwarf weed seed 1–2 Uncommon 32,817–65,634 Lantadyme seed 1–2 Uncommon 25,924–51,848 Grapevine seed 3 Uncommon 3,069 Cadantine seed 1–3 Uncommon 692–2,076
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Grimy guam 1–11 (noted) Common 399–4,389 Grimy marrentill 1–11 (noted) Common 101–1,111 Grimy tarromin 1–11 (noted) Common 31–341 Grimy harralander 1–11 (noted) Common 83–913 Grimy irit 1–11 (noted) Common 1,594–17,534 Grimy avantoe 1–11 (noted) Common 3,115–34,265 Grimy kwuarm 1–11 (noted) Common 2,691–29,601 Grimy cadantine 1–11 (noted) Common 1,634–17,974 Grimy lantadyme 1–11 (noted) Common 6,912–76,032 Grimy ranarr 1–11 (noted) Uncommon 2,445–26,895 Grimy dwarf weed 1–11 (noted) Uncommon 7,353–80,883
Gems and BarsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Diamond 4 (noted) Common 7,888 Adamant bar 4 (noted) Common 10,072
Runes and TalismansEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Death rune 20–40 Common 6,240–12,480 Law rune 20–45 Common 8,480–19,080 Fire talisman 4 (noted) Common 10,056 Blood rune 10–20, 43 Uncommon 4,900–21,070
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Coins 3,000–15,000 Common Not sold Clue scroll (hard) 1 Uncommon Not sold Anagogic ort 20 Uncommon Not sold Ruined dragon armour slice 1 Very rare 706,787 Ruined dragon armour lump 1 Very rare 524,607 Ruined dragon armour shard 1 Very rare 603,289 Dragon limbs 1 Rare 9,923,253 Starved ancient effigy 1 Rare Not sold Clue scroll (elite) 1 Very rare Not sold Court summons 1 Very rare Not sold
- ^ Estimated at 1/299 using gathered Adventurer's Log data as of 18 September 2012.
- ^ a b Main hand and off hand Dragon claw are dropped together
- ^ a b c Estimated between 1/1,091 and 1/1,205 using gathered Adventurer's Log data as of 18 September 2012.
- ^ Drop rate roughly same as dragon claws 1/299.
Rare drop table dropsEdit
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 200–350,3,000 Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,338 Uncut emerald 1 Common 2,560 Uncut ruby 1 Common 3,046 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 5,670 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 34,719 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 34,657 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 14,432 Dragonstone 1 Rare 9,933 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,483 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 24,195 Rune javelin 5 Rare 910 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,200 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,468 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,446 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,722 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,547,200 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,335 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 31,560 Shield left half 1 Very rare 64,213 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 58,571 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 13,000 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,273,200 Rune arrow 150 Rare 22,650 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 96,512 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 10,552 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 62,475–87,465 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 62,850–87,990 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 713 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 463 Pure essence 1,000–1,500 (noted) Uncommon 17,000–25,500 Nature rune 60–80 Rare 18,480–24,640 Soul rune 20 Rare 4,120 Law rune 45 Rare 19,080 Death rune 50 Rare 15,600 Blood rune 50 Rare 24,500 Raw swordfish 125–250 (noted) Uncommon 60,000–120,000 Raw shark 250 (noted) Uncommon 280,250 Big bones 150–180 (noted) Uncommon 85,200–102,240 Coal 550–700 (noted) Uncommon 133,650–170,100 Adamantite ore 150–250 (noted) Uncommon 194,700–324,500 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 9,400 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,105,000 Rune bar 1 Common 14,132 Rune bar 50 (noted) Very rare 706,600 Clean toadflax 35–45 (noted) Uncommon 119,385–153,495 Clean snapdragon 30–35 (noted) Uncommon 108,240–126,280 Clean torstol 16–34 (noted) Uncommon 91,104–193,596 Snapdragon seed 1 Common 2,480 Torstol seed 1 Uncommon 20,536 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 8,634 Magic seed 3–7 Rare 522,369–1,218,861 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,286,130 Yew logs 450–550 (noted) Rare 160,200–195,800 Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Melee) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Magic) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Ranged) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Agility) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Cooking) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (FM) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Fishing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Hunter) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Mining) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Prayer) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Smithing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Thieving) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (WC) 1 Very rare Not sold
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Key token 1 Rare Not sold
- Upon slaying a number of tormented demons, a player's Adventurer's Log reads "I killed X tormented demons, fewer tormented souls in the world must be a good thing." Upon slaying 100 or more tormented demons, a player's Adventurer's Log reads "I killed many Tormented Demons."
- If a Tormented demon uses melee during the fight and is lured into a position where the player is diagonally across from the demon and attacks, it will not switch combat styles. This has yet to be fixed by Jagex.
- Upon completion of Ritual of the Mahjarrat the examine text stays the same, as if Lucien was still alive.
- There is a likeness of Lucien's face under the Tormented Demon when it uses its fire shield.
- A Tormented demon's attack does 1 damage, along with a few other monsters if the correct prayer is used. However, unlike other monsters, if Deflect curses were used, the demon still suffers from reflected damage (so if a hit that would be 360 be turned into 1, the demon would take 90 reflection damage). This has yet to be fixed by Jagex.
- One of the two tormented demons fought during While Guthix sleeps doesn't have a dragon metal helmet and its burned face and grin can be seen. The concept art of Tormented Demon also lacks the helmet.
- During the start of While Guthix Sleeps, Thaerisk Cemphier had reports of Lucien roving the Wilderness raising heroes from the dead. In Postbag from the Hedge 45, Phentes the Tormented says "Yet endlessly my death delayed". The armour they wear and their ability to use Prayer suggests that tormented demons might have once been these Wilderness warriors during or before the Third Age.
- Tormented demons and Imps haven't been graphically updated with their fellow demons due to their unique models.
- Unlike most demons, Tormented demons fade away instead of blowing up. Their death animation is similar to their attack changing animation.
- Dragon platebody parts can be found on the Tormented demon. The ruined armour lump is the head, the ruined armour slice is the left arm and the ruined armour shard is the right leg.
- On February 4, 2014, Tormented Demons received an overhaul to their drop tables along with other demon species as chosen by the players during a poll.
- When a player receives dragon limbs as a drop, they now appear in the news feed of that particular world the player is on.