|Release date||26 November 2008 (Update)|
|XP per kill||2,321.2 (and 765.9 experience)|
|Always drops||Infernal ashes|
|Examine text||Lucien must be incredibly powerful if he can bind such demons to his will.|
|Assigned by||Kuradal, Morvran|
Tormented demons are massive demons summoned and controlled by the Mahjarrat Lucien. They first appear in the Grandmaster quest While Guthix Sleeps, wherein Lucien uses Daemonicas Abhoris to summon two demons in the Ancient Guthix Temple and place them into a state of perpetual physical agony, healing their bodies as they burn and making them extremely hostile and aggressive. After the quest is complete, a total of six tormented demons may be found in the Temple. The ability to have them assigned as slayer tasks by Kuradal and Morvran can be purchased using 50 slayer points after completion of While Guthix Sleeps.
Tormented demons possess a number of formidable powers. They can attack with all three combat styles, shield themselves from damage, and even use protection prayers. They are often killed (either by single players, or teams of players) for their unique drops, namely dragon limbs, used to forge the dragon crossbow (which is in turn used to forge the Ascension crossbow), as well as the pieces of the dragon platebody. They also drop the dragon claw and off-hand dragon claw, both as part of the same drop, which are used to craft chaotic claws. Aside from these, they have a number of other valuable drops, such as charms, herbs, armour and weapons, and clue scrolls. Tormented demons drop rune equipment so is it a good idea to bring a charged spring cleaner set with dismantle mode which may bank the raw materials used to make the rune equipment, negating the need to fill the player's inventory as it goes straight to their banks and is more profit than selling the items themselves.
Despite being demons, these monsters do not take increased damage from holy water, although it does remove their fire shield. Additionally, dwarf multicannons cannot be set up in the tormented demons' lair. They can be easily killed with two combat styles, or one if a player uses a Steel titan to aid killing them.
Tormented demons attack with melee, Magic and Ranged, though they only use one style at a time. They can hit up to 1150 damage with any of these attack styles, and with very high accuracy; their attacks often hit players regardless of Defence level or armour quality. Fortunately, protection prayers fully block their attacks, so prayer switching is an effective and essential tactic when fighting them. Tormented demons change attack styles every 16 seconds or so; when they do, they rear back and roar, creating an area-of-effect Magic attack that can hit players behind cover. Their weakness changes randomly.
Defensively, tormented demons use protection prayers based on the combat style that is dealing the most damage to them. Once a tormented demon takes 3100 damage from a given attack style, it changes its protection prayer to defend against that style. For this purpose, any hit below 200 damage counts as 200 damage, unless the attack misses. Tormented demons' protection prayers do not run out, and for this reason at least two combat styles are necessary when fighting the demons. In addition to their protection prayers, each tormented demon is surrounded by a fire shield that reduces all damage dealt to them by roughly 75%. This shield can be taken down for 60 seconds by a successful hit with Darklight or Holy water. Each non-zero hit from either weapon resets the 60-second counter, and both auto-attacks and abilities work. (Note that for the purposes of their prayer-switching, hits through the fire shield are counted without the damage reduction.) The shield cannot be taken down with Darklight while the demon is using Protect from Melee, or with holy water and Protect from Ranged. Once stripped of their shields, tormented demons have relatively low Defence for their combat level.
Finally, the six tormented demons in the Ancient Guthix Temple are fairly close together. It is highly dangerous to be attacked by multiple demons at once because, as previously stated, their attacks are highly accurate. The most common tactic for dealing with their numbers is to lure all but one demon into a position where they become trapped, and then engage the remaining demon in combat.
|Tormented demon spawns. Click to view a larger version (opens on a new page).|
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Infernal ashes 1 Always 2,634
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 1,902 kills.
3 charms are dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 15 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Adamant battleaxe 1 Common 1,945 Rune mace 1 Common 7,832 Rune sword 1 Common 12,058 Dragon claw 1 Rare 157,752 Off-hand dragon claw 1 Rare 139,028
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Rune sq shield 1 Common 22,169 Rune chainbody 1 Uncommon 29,172 Rune full helm 1 Uncommon 20,232
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Avantoe seed 1–2 Common 1,284–2,568 Belladonna seed 1 Common 103 Harralander seed 1–2 Common 12–24 Jangerberry seed 1–3 Common 1–3 Marrentill seed 1–2 Common 11–22 Bittercap mushroom spore 1 Common 12 Wildblood seed 1–3 Common 159–477 Kwuarm seed 1–2 Common 118–236 Cactus seed 4–10 Uncommon 176–440 Limpwurt seed 1–2 Uncommon 984–1,968 Ranarr seed 1–3 Uncommon 1,217–3,651 Spirit weed seed 1–2 Uncommon 328–656 Strawberry seed 1–4 Uncommon 400–1,600 Toadflax seed 1–2 Uncommon 619–1,238 Whiteberry seed 1–3 Uncommon 8–24 Dwarf weed seed 1–2 Uncommon 26,298–52,596 Lantadyme seed 1–2 Uncommon 23,542–47,084 Grapevine seed 3 Uncommon 3,645 Cadantine seed 1–3 Uncommon 490–1,470
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Grimy guam 1–11 (noted) Common 421–4,631 Grimy marrentill 1–11 (noted) Common 136–1,496 Grimy tarromin 1–11 (noted) Common 34–374 Grimy harralander 1–11 (noted) Common 86–946 Grimy irit 1–11 (noted) Common 2,077–22,847 Grimy avantoe 1–11 (noted) Common 3,990–43,890 Grimy kwuarm 1–11 (noted) Common 3,790–41,690 Grimy cadantine 1–11 (noted) Common 1,921–21,131 Grimy lantadyme 1–11 (noted) Common 6,711–73,821 Grimy ranarr 1–11 (noted) Uncommon 2,667–29,337 Grimy dwarf weed 1–11 (noted) Uncommon 6,899–75,889
Gems and BarsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Diamond 4 (noted) Common 8,464 Adamant bar 4 (noted) Common 11,284
Runes and TalismansEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Death rune 20–40 Common 7,080–14,160 Law rune 20–45 Common 8,500–19,125 Fire talisman 4 (noted) Common 10,372 Blood rune 10–20, 43 Uncommon 4,920–21,156
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Coins 3,000–15,000 Common Not sold Clue scroll (hard) 1 Uncommon Not sold Anagogic ort 20 Uncommon Not sold Ruined dragon armour slice 1 Very rare 644,197 Ruined dragon armour lump 1 Very rare 457,499 Ruined dragon armour shard 1 Very rare 548,992 Dragon limbs 1 Rare 9,373,301 Starved ancient effigy 1 Rare Not sold Clue scroll (elite) 1 Very rare Not sold Court summons 1 Very rare Not sold
- ^ Estimated at 1/299 using gathered Adventurer's Log data as of 18 September 2012.
- ^ a b Main hand and off hand Dragon claw are dropped together
- ^ a b c Estimated between 1/1,091 and 1/1,205 using gathered Adventurer's Log data as of 18 September 2012.
- ^ Drop rate roughly same as dragon claws 1/299.
Rare drop table dropsEdit
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 200–350,3,000 Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,129 Uncut emerald 1 Common 2,080 Uncut ruby 1 Common 3,015 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 4,992 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 27,582 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 30,725 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 13,166 Dragonstone 1 Rare 9,687 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,666 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 24,260 Rune javelin 5 Rare 890 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,200 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,048 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,487 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 37,213 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,574,200 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,169 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 31,952 Shield left half 1 Very rare 63,953 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 59,255 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 12,200 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,258,500 Rune arrow 150 Rare 22,650 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 94,419 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 10,892 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 66,550–93,170 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 64,825–90,755 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 555 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 372 Pure essence 1,000–1,500 (noted) Uncommon 15,000–22,500 Nature rune 60–80 Rare 21,360–28,480 Soul rune 20 Rare 3,980 Law rune 45 Rare 19,125 Death rune 50 Rare 17,700 Blood rune 50 Rare 24,600 Raw swordfish 125–250 (noted) Uncommon 54,750–109,500 Raw shark 250 (noted) Uncommon 288,500 Big bones 150–180 (noted) Uncommon 76,800–92,160 Coal 550–700 (noted) Uncommon 146,850–186,900 Adamantite ore 150–250 (noted) Uncommon 197,700–329,500 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 9,200 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,075,400 Rune bar 1 Common 14,228 Rune bar 50 (noted) Very rare 711,400 Clean toadflax 35–45 (noted) Uncommon 118,195–151,965 Clean snapdragon 30–35 (noted) Uncommon 112,980–131,810 Clean torstol 16–34 (noted) Uncommon 91,520–194,480 Snapdragon seed 1 Common 1,349 Torstol seed 1 Uncommon 16,965 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 7,323 Magic seed 3–7 Rare 495,387–1,155,903 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,595,420 Yew logs 450–550 (noted) Rare 162,450–198,550 Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Melee) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Magic) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Ranged) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Agility) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Cooking) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (FM) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Fishing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Hunter) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Mining) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Prayer) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Smithing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Thieving) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (WC) 1 Very rare Not sold
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Key token 1 Rare Not sold
- Upon slaying a number of tormented demons, a player's Adventurer's Log reads "I killed X tormented demons, fewer tormented souls in the world must be a good thing." Upon slaying 100 or more tormented demons, a player's Adventurer's Log reads "I killed many Tormented Demons."
- If a Tormented demon uses melee during the fight and is lured into a position where the player is diagonally across from the demon and attacks, it will not switch combat styles. This has yet to be fixed by Jagex.
- Upon completion of Ritual of the Mahjarrat the examine text stays the same, as if Lucien was still alive.
- There is a likeness of Lucien's face under the Tormented demon when it uses its fire shield.
- A Tormented demon's attack does 1 damage, along with a few other monsters if the correct prayer is used. However, unlike other monsters, if Deflect curses were used, the demon still suffers from reflected damage (so if a hit that would be 360 be turned into 1, the demon would take 90 reflection damage). This has yet to be fixed by Jagex.
- One of the two tormented demons fought during While Guthix sleeps doesn't have a dragon metal helmet and its burned face and grin can be seen. The concept art of Tormented Demon also lacks the helmet.
- During the start of While Guthix Sleeps, Thaerisk Cemphier had reports of Lucien roving the Wilderness raising heroes from the dead. In Postbag from the Hedge 45, Phentes the Tormented says "Yet endlessly my death delayed". The armour they wear and their ability to use Prayer suggests that tormented demons might have once been these Wilderness warriors during or before the Third Age.
- Tormented demons and Imps haven't been graphically updated with their fellow demons due to their unique models.
- Unlike most demons, Tormented demons fade away instead of blowing up. Their death animation is similar to their attack changing animation.
- Dragon platebody parts can be found on the Tormented demon. The ruined armour lump is the head, the ruined armour slice is the left arm and the ruined armour shard is the right leg.
- On 4 February 2014, Tormented demons received an overhaul to their drop tables along with other demon species as chosen by the players from a Player Power poll.