- This article has a related strategy guide here.
|Release date||26 November 2008 (Update)|
|XP per kill||2,321.2 (and 765.9 experience)|
|Always drops||Infernal ashes|
|Examine text||Lucien must be incredibly powerful if he can bind such demons to his will.|
Tormented demons are massive demons summoned and controlled by the Mahjarrat Lucien. They first appear in the Grandmaster quest While Guthix Sleeps, wherein Lucien uses Daemonicas Abhoris to summon two demons in the Ancient Guthix Temple and place them into a state of perpetual physical agony, healing their bodies as they burn and making them extremely hostile and aggressive. After the quest is complete, a total of six tormented demons may be found in the Temple. The ability to have them assigned as slayer tasks by Kuradal can be purchased using 50 slayer points after While Guthix Sleeps.
Tormented demons possess a number of formidable powers. They can attack with all three combat styles, shield themselves from damage, and even use protection prayers. They are often killed (either by single players, or teams of players) for their unique drops, namely dragon limbs, used to forge the dragon crossbow (which is in turn used to forge the Ascension crossbow), as well as the pieces of the dragon platebody. They also drop the dragon claw and off-hand dragon claw, both as part of the same drop, which are used to craft chaotic claws. Aside from these, they have a number of other valuable drops, such as charms, herbs, arms & armour, and clue scrolls.
Despite being demons, these monsters do not take increased damage from holy water, although it does remove their fire shield. Additionally, dwarf multicannons cannot be set up in the tormented demons' lair. Since the release of Evolution of Combat, they can also be poisoned. They can be easily killed with two combat styles, or one if a player uses a Steel titan to aid killing them.
Tormented demons attack with melee, Magic and Ranged, though they only use one style at a time. They can hit up to 1150 damage with all of these attack styles, and with very high accuracy; their attacks often hit players regardless of Defence level or armour quality. Fortunately, protection prayers fully block their attacks, so prayer switching is an effective and essential tactic when fighting them. Tormented demons change attack styles every 16 seconds or so; when they do, they rear back and roar, creating an area-of-effect Magic attack that can hit players behind cover. Their weakness changes randomly.
Defensively, tormented demons use protection prayers based on the combat style that is dealing the most damage to them. Once a tormented demon takes 3100 damage from a given attack style, it changes its protection prayer to defend against that style. For this purpose, any hit below 200 damage counts as 200 damage.(It doesn't count if attack misses). Tormented demons' protection prayers do not run out, and for this reason at least two combat styles are necessary when fighting the demons. Spamming abilities can help combo the demons in an effective way i.e. using threshold ability and interrupting it with a basic one to perform a combo. This works ideally along with a steel titan special attack which can make them switch prayers easily and continue combo-ing with 1 type of combat style. In addition to their protection prayers, each tormented demon is surrounded by a fire shield that reduces all damage dealt to them by roughly 75%. This shield can be taken down for 60 seconds by a successful hit with Darklight or Holy water. Each non-zero hit from either weapon resets the 60-second counter, and both auto-attacks and abilities work. (Note that for the purposes of their prayer-switching, hits through the fire shield are counted without the damage reduction.) The shield cannot be taken down with Darklight while the demon is using Protect from Melee, or with holy water and Protect from Ranged. Once stripped of their shields, tormented demons have relatively low Defence for their combat level.
Finally, the six tormented demons in the Ancient Guthix Temple are fairly close together. It is highly dangerous to be attacked by multiple demons at once because, as previously stated, their attacks are highly accurate. The most common tactic for dealing with their numbers is to lure all but one demon into a position where they become trapped, and then engage the remaining demon in combat.
|Tormented demon spawns. Click to view a larger version (opens on a new page).|
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Infernal ashes 1 Always 2,753
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 7,180 kills.
3 charms are dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 15 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Adamant battleaxe 1 Common 1,962 Rune mace 1 Common 7,851 Rune sword 1 Common 11,974 Dragon claw 1 Rare 388,049 Off-hand dragon claw 1 Rare 368,125
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Rune sq shield 1 Common 22,378 Rune chainbody 1 Uncommon 29,184 Rune full helm 1 Uncommon 20,405
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Avantoe seed 1–2 Common 2,662–5,324 Belladonna seed 1 Common 88 Harralander seed 1–2 Common 9–18 Jangerberry seed 1–3 Common 1–3 Marrentill seed 1–2 Common 8–16 Bittercap mushroom spore 1 Common 18 Wildblood seed 1–3 Common 152–456 Kwuarm seed 1–2 Common 1,256–2,512 Cactus seed 4–10 Uncommon 68–170 Limpwurt seed 1–2 Uncommon 968–1,936 Ranarr seed 1–3 Uncommon 1,742–5,226 Spirit weed seed 1–2 Uncommon 320–640 Strawberry seed 1–4 Uncommon 407–1,628 Toadflax seed 1–2 Uncommon 2,205–4,410 Whiteberry seed 1–3 Uncommon 3–9 Dwarf weed seed 1–2 Uncommon 44,438–88,876 Lantadyme seed 1–2 Uncommon 30,984–61,968 Grapevine seed 3 Uncommon 29,268 Cadantine seed 1–3 Uncommon 842–2,526
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Grimy guam 1–11 (noted) Common 760–8,360 Grimy marrentill 1–11 (noted) Common 92–1,012 Grimy tarromin 1–11 (noted) Common 36–396 Grimy harralander 1–11 (noted) Common 172–1,892 Grimy irit 1–11 (noted) Common 2,890–31,790 Grimy avantoe 1–11 (noted) Common 4,586–50,446 Grimy kwuarm 1–11 (noted) Common 4,853–53,383 Grimy cadantine 1–11 (noted) Common 2,127–23,397 Grimy lantadyme 1–11 (noted) Common 8,922–98,142 Grimy ranarr 1–11 (noted) Uncommon 3,041–33,451 Grimy dwarf weed 1–11 (noted) Uncommon 10,008–110,088
Gems and BarsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Diamond 4 (noted) Common 8,920 Adamant bar 4 (noted) Common 12,372
Runes and TalismansEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Death rune 20–40 Common 3,060–6,120 Law rune 20–45 Common 5,140–11,565 Fire talisman 4 (noted) Common 14,852 Blood rune 10–20, 43 Uncommon 2,540–10,922
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 3,000–15,000 Common Not sold Clue scroll (hard) 1 Uncommon Not sold Anagogic ort 20 Uncommon Not sold Ruined dragon armour slice 1 Rare 1,073,844 Ruined dragon armour lump 1 Rare 730,003 Ruined dragon armour shard 1 Rare 825,390 Dragon limbs 1 Rare 14,986,179 Starved ancient effigy 1 Rare Not sold Clue scroll (elite) 1 Very rare Not sold Court summons 1 Very rare Not sold
- ^ Estimated at 1/299 using gathered Adventurer's Log data as of 18 September 2012.
- ^ a b Main hand and off hand Dragon claw are dropped together
- ^ a b c Estimated between 1/1,091 and 1/1,205 using gathered Adventurer's Log data as of 18 September 2012.
- ^ Drop rate roughly same as dragon claws 1/299.
Rare drop table dropsEdit
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 250 – 450; 3,000;
9,000; 10,000; 12,000
Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,333 Uncut emerald 1 Common 2,733 Uncut ruby 1 Common 3,695 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 6,479 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 18,316 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 41,921 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 16,139 Dragonstone 1 Rare 10,128 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,448 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 24,156 Rune javelin 5 Rare 905 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,200 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,426 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,395 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,028 Dragon dagger 50 (noted) Very rare 822,400 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,378 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 31,540 Shield left half 1 Very rare 64,448 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 59,179 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 19,200 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,265,250 Rune arrow 150–200, 500 Rare 22,350–74,500 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,619,600 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 89,113 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 13,233 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 95,250–133,350 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 92,825–129,955 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 998 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 232 Pure essence 500–15,000 (noted) Uncommon 7,500–225,000 Nature rune 20–80 Rare 5,320–21,280 Soul rune 20 Rare 2,780 Law rune 45 Rare 11,565 Death rune 50, 121 Rare 7,650–18,513 Blood rune 50 Rare 12,700 Raw swordfish 125–250, 1,000 (noted) Uncommon 49,375–395,000 Raw shark 250–500 (noted) Uncommon 458,500–917,000 Big bones 150–500 (noted) Uncommon 94,050–313,500 Coal 150–7,500 (noted) Uncommon 35,250–1,762,500 Adamantite ore 150–800 (noted) Uncommon 293,100–1,563,200 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 9,900 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,118,500 Adamant bar 1,000–7,000 (noted) Rare 3,093,000–21,651,000 Rune bar 1, 50 (noted) Rare 14,257–712,850 Clean toadflax 25–250 (noted) Uncommon 128,925–1,289,250 Clean snapdragon 30–120 (noted) Uncommon 124,470–497,880 Clean torstol 10–100 (noted) Uncommon 77,230–772,300 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 6,456 Yew seed 1–50 Rare 65,737–3,286,850 Magic seed 1–7 Rare 129,935–909,545 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,041,540 Snapdragon seed 1 Rare 1,800 Yew logs 50–20,000 (noted) Rare 19,850–7,940,000 Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Melee) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Magic) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Ranged) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Agility) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Cooking) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (FM) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Fishing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Hunter) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Mining) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Prayer) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Smithing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Thieving) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (WC) 1 Very rare Not sold
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Key token 1 Rare Not sold
- Upon slaying a number of tormented demons, a player's Adventurer's Log reads "I killed X tormented demons, fewer tormented souls in the world must be a good thing." Upon slaying 100 or more tormented demons, a player's Adventurer's Log reads "I killed many Tormented Demons."
- If a Tormented demon uses melee during the fight and is lured into a position where the player is diagonally across from the demon and attacks, it will not switch combat styles. This has yet to be fixed by Jagex.
- Upon completion of Ritual of the Mahjarrat the examine text stays the same, as if Lucien was still alive.
- There is a likeness of Lucien's face under the Tormented Demon when it uses its fire shield.
- A Tormented demon's attack does 1 damage, along with a few other monsters if the correct prayer is used. However, unlike other monsters, if Deflect curses were used, the demon still suffers from reflected damage (so if a hit that would be 360 be turned into 1, the demon would take 90 reflection damage). This has yet to be fixed by Jagex.
- One of the two tormented demons fought during While Guthix sleeps doesn't have a dragon metal helmet and its burned face and grin can be seen. The concept art of Tormented Demon also lacks the helmet.
- During the start of While Guthix Sleeps, Thaerisk Cemphier had reports of Lucien roving the Wilderness raising heroes from the dead. In Postbag from the Hedge 45, Phentes the Tormented says "Yet endlessly my death delayed". The armour they wear and their ability to use Prayer suggests that tormented demons might have once been these Wilderness warriors during or before the Third Age.
- Tormented demons and Imps haven't been graphically updated with their fellow demons due to their unique models.
- Unlike most demons, Tormented demons fade away instead of blowing up. Their death animation is similar to their attack changing animation.
- Dragon platebody parts can be found on the Tormented demon. The ruined armour lump is the head, the ruined armor slice is the left arm and the ruined armour shard is the right leg.
- On February 4th, 2014, Tormented Demons received an overhaul to their drop tables along with other demon species as chosen by the players during a poll.
- When a player receives dragon limbs as a drop, they now appear in the news feed of that particular world the player is on.