Thursday, All-Day, Personal Projects (originally Thursday Afternoon Personal Projects) is Jagex's version of the "20% time" policy initially popularised by Google, where employees are free to spend some of their time on projects not related to their primary job description. It was initially implemented at Jagex in 2014. The policy allows employees to spend every other Thursday on personal projects related to the game, effectively 10% of their time.
As long as it is vaguely relevant to people's jobs, or the company, they get time - every fortnight - to do their own personal project. Sometimes it is self-training, sometimes it is content or features for the current games that they have a burning desire to do. Or it's pitching new ideas or prototypes. And it is not just games, we have web-development and billing-development departments. We have had cool features like extensions to our forums that have been added, just because it was a personal idea from someone, and they chipped away at it over a few Thursdays.
Updates that originated in TAPPEdit
|RuneScape Forums rework||N/A|
|WildyWyrms returning||16 February 2015 (Update)|
|Master quest cape||7 December 2015 (Update)|
|Boss pet overrides||9 May 2016 (Update)|
|Jewellery model rework||12 September 2016 (Update)|
|19 September 2016 (Update)|
|Augmentable dyed equipment||19 September 2016 (Update)|
|Nex: Angel of Death||30 January 2017 (Update)|
|Pyro-matic and hammer-tron||6 February 2017 (Update)|
|Prosper, Pyromaniac, Rapid, Breakdown, and Tinker|
|Various fixes for the Arc||6 February 2017 (Update)|
|Shield of Arrav rework||13 February 2017 (Update)|
|Back to the Freezer||27 February 2017 (Update)|
|Skyboxes and filters||15 May 2017 (Update)|
- ^ a b Dring, Christopher. The third age of Jagex. GamesIndustry.biz. 24 April 2017. (Archived from the original on 30 April 2017.)
- ^ Mod Allstar. What is this? Reskinning the @RuneScape forums - let us know what you think.... Twitter. 22 January 2015. (Archived from the original on 10 May 2017.)
- ^ wolfgang169. RS3 Forum Reskin [Thread by Mod Allstar]. reddit.com. 22 January 2015.
- ^ Mod Pi. RS Ninja Team - Boss Pets, Wildywyrm and Combat Improvements!. YouTube.com. 9 December 2014.
- ^ Mod Pi. This afternoon I updated the code of an old friend. #PiQuestion Leave his attacks as they are or update them for EoC?. Twitter. 3 October 2014. (Archived from the original on 30 April 2017.)
- ^ Mod Manti. Master quest cape development is coming along nicely.. reddit.com. 13 November 2015.
- ^ a b Mod Ramen. TAPP Project: Invention Tools - Firemaking/Smithing. reddit.com. 21 September 2016.
- ^ Mod Dolan. Here's a snip-it of the enchanted necklaces :)!. Twitter. 19 July 2016. (Archived from the original on 30 April 2017.)
- ^ Mod Dolan. The new jewellery "graphical update" looks absolutely trash. reddit.com. 12 September 2016.
- ^ Mod Ryan. TAPP Project: Invention Tools - Firemaking/Smithing. reddit.com. 21 September 2016.
- ^ Mod Ryan. I suppose it's time to share some more TAPP progress on the new Invention tools... UI graphics and - oh what's that, clues from skilling?!. Twitter. 10 November 2016. (Archived from the original on 30 April 2017.)
- ^ Mod Stu. "What I did with my TAPP", by Mod Stu, age 38. It's the little things.. Twitter. 20 January 2017. (Archived from the original on 30 April 2017.)
- ^ Mod Stu. Tomorrow, if all goes according to plan, I shall commence a TAPP project: rework Shield of Arrav so that it no longer requires a partner.. Twitter. 9 November 2016. (Archived from the original on 30 April 2017.)
- ^ Mod Ramen. What does TAAP stand for?. reddit.com. 7 February 2017.