- For the utility tool, see knife.
Throwing knives are created via Smithing. Each bar will produce 5 knives of the corresponding metal. While knives can be wielded on any world, they can only be smithed in members worlds.
Throwing knives are among the fastest weapons in the game (along with darts), and it is for this reason that many people prefer to use knives (or darts) when training their Ranged. The attack range of knives is 5 spaces, which is slightly higher than darts.
These knives are actually shaped differently from true throwing knives, which have two sharpened points and an elongated rhombus shape. But, these knives are shaped correctly for what is known as the spear, arrow, or combat knife-throwing style, which is how the player uses them. See knife throwing.
Types of knivesEdit
|Mainhand info||Off-hand info||Attributes||Strength bonus||Price|
|Bronze knife||1||Thrown||48||150||-||-||-||0||0||0||-||-||-||32 [view]|
|Off-hand bronze knife||1||-||-||-||Thrown||24||150||0||0||0||-||-||-||25 [view]|
|Iron knife||10||Thrown||96||202||-||-||-||0||0||0||-||-||-||58 [view]|
|Off-hand iron knife||10||-||-||-||Thrown||48||202||0||0||0||-||-||-||36 [view]|
|Steel knife||20||Thrown||192||316||-||-||-||0||0||0||-||-||-||174 [view]|
|Off-hand steel knife||20||-||-||-||Thrown||96||316||0||0||0||-||-||-||61 [view]|
|Black knife||25||Thrown||240||250||-||-||-||0||0||0||-||-||-||213 [view]|
|Off-hand black knife||25||-||-||-||Thrown||120||381||0||0||0||-||-||-||43 [view]|
|Mithril knife||30||Thrown||288||454||-||-||-||0||0||0||-||-||-||286 [view]|
|Off-hand mithril knife||30||-||-||-||Thrown||144||454||0||0||0||-||-||-||106 [view]|
|Adamant knife||40||Thrown||384||628||-||-||-||0||0||0||-||-||-||534 [view]|
|Off-hand adamant knife||40||-||-||-||Thrown||192||628||0||0||0||-||-||-||344 [view]|
|Rune knife||50||Thrown||480||850||-||-||-||0||0||0||-||-||-||2,348 [view]|
|Off-hand rune knife||50||-||-||-||Thrown||240||850||0||0||0||-||-||-||2,544 [view]|
|Dragon knife||60||Thrown||576||1132||-||-||-||0||0||0||-||-||-||3,099 [view]|
|Off-hand dragon knife||60||-||288||-||Thrown||-||1132||0||0||0||-||-||-||1,309 [view]|
|Tier||Item||Levels to use|
|1||Novite knife||1 Ranged|
|2||Bathus knife||10 Ranged|
|3||Marmaros knife||20 Ranged|
|4||Kratonite knife||30 Ranged|
|5||Fractite knife||40 Ranged|
|6||Zephyrium knife||50 Ranged|
|7||Argonite knife||60 Ranged|
|8||Katagon knife||70 Ranged|
|9||Gorgonite knife||80 Ranged|
|10||Promethium knife||90 Ranged|
|11||Primal knife||99 Ranged|
|Tier||Item||Levels to use|
|1||Off-hand novite knife||1 Ranged|
|2||Off-hand bathus knife||10 Ranged|
|3||Off-hand marmaros knife||20 Ranged|
|4||Off-hand kratonite knife||30 Ranged|
|5||Off-hand fractite knife||40 Ranged|
|6||Off-hand zephyrium knife||50 Ranged|
|7||Off-hand argonite knife||60 Ranged|
|8||Off-hand katagon knife||70 Ranged|
|9||Off-hand gorgonite knife||80 Ranged|
|10||Off-hand promethium knife||90 Ranged|
|11||Off-hand primal knife||99 Ranged|
- When you cut a cactus in the desert, the animation shows you using a bronze throwing knife instead of a regular knife.
- In April 2011 the knives were changed so that they were held by the tip of the blade rather than the handle. This is in consistency with the use of real throwing knives. (Physically you may use any knife as a throwing implement, you have to hold the end that's lightest, which is determined by where the fulcrum point is, basically you hold and throw from the side that has the greatest length to the fulcrum point.)
- Before the Evolution of Combat update allowed throwing axes to be smithed, throwing knives were the only ranged weapons created using only the Smithing skill.
- Throwing knives were members-only until the Free-to-Play Extravaganza update on 29 February 2016 introduced dual wielding to free-to-play worlds.