|Release date||9 August 2011 (Update)|
|Quest NPC||Song from the Depths|
|Examine|| • Who could move in all that armour?|
• A mysterious warrior clad in thick plate armour.
The Raptor is one of the seven Signature Heroes, and is arguably the most mysterious; "Who are the Signature Heroes?" only describes the Raptor as a mysterious warrior. When speaking to The Raptor, he will comment on monsters killed by the player in quests, often stating his opinion on whether the feat is impressive or not.
The Raptor's race is currently unknown, and one piece of artwork of him has been released by Jagex with the website's Adventurer's Log. The Raptor seems to be very protective of his true identity, always appearing fully clad in armour and helm and refusing to take any of it off. This armour was defined as having been made by Xenia in the third episode of the Above the Lore podcast. The Raptor has been confirmed male by the game guide following the site's update.
Very little is known about The Raptor, even amongst the other Signature Heroes. The Raptor only acknowledges combat achievements, going as far as refusing to talk to you until a respectable opponent, such as Nomad, has been defeated. His approach to solving problems is by completely destroying anything related to the problem, with an arrogant view on any other methods.
His love for combat is evident in many places; when outside of the habitats of the new slayer creatures, he claimed that they were challenging foes, though he soon moved from one creature to another, telling the player that he eventually got "bored" of them and went to hunt for a more challenging foe.
The Raptor admits that being a slayer master was not what he expected, as he dislikes standing around and doing nothing when there are challenging foes to hunt down.
The Raptor can be found in various places around Gielinor, but mainly in combat-related areas.
The Raptor can always be found standing on the first floor of the Legends' Guild.
The Raptor will frequently appear in these places for a while (around 3-4 minutes), then teleport away.
- Inside the Warriors' Guild in Burthorpe.
- Killing chaos dwarf hand cannoneers, and chaos dwarves at the Chaos Dwarf Battlefield.
- Killing lesser demons outside the resource dungeon inside the Karamja Volcano.
- Killing Khazard troopers at the Khazard Battlefield.
- Near Daemonheim.
- Killing brutal green dragons in the Ancient Caverns.
- Killing lesser demons and sometimes greater demons in the Wilderness Volcano.
- Standing outside of East Ardougne's castle.
- Standing inside the Stealing Creation lobby.
- In Daemonheim near the rewards trader.
- Inside the Gamers' Grotto talking to the Head mystic. The Raptor refuses to take off any armour in order to play Stealing Creation, and then teleports away.
- Standing next to Kuradal. When speaking to him he demands a task from her, and after she argues that he could be a slayer master himself (but he wants to fight, not stand around all day) and that he should be teaching her, she assigns him 5,000 Dagannoths. After he teleports away, Kuradal will tell the player that she hopes they never become like that.
- For one month (November 2015), The Raptor became a special "slayer master", appearing in Port Sarim, Al Kharid, Sophanem and near Rellekka each week.
The Raptor features in the Song from the Depths quest, released in 22 May 2012. He, along with the player, is asked to save the men of Rimmington from a restless sleep. After jumping into a chasm and subsequently being swallowed by the Queen Black Dragon, the player discovers that a siren named Remora, the source of the affliction, has been tricked into drawing the souls of the men towards her (and the sleeping dragon).
When Remora is released, the Queen Black Dragon awakens, disgorging the trio. The Raptor shields the player from dragonfire, but Remora is killed; the Raptor and the player teleport out just in time, and the men are freed from their sleep.
The Raptor appears in the RuneScape cinematic trailer that can be watched here. Along with Sir Owen, Ozan and Ariane, The Raptor fights against a gigantic troll, and narrowly saves Ozan from the brute's axe.
During the month of November in 2015, The Raptor acted as a unique slayer master who gave separate assignments from a smaller list of potential monsters. He only gave one assignment per day. His assignments gave two times the normal amount of slayer experience per kill. He also had his own gem with which he could be contacted, similar to an enchanted gem. His chest can still be accessed by the Burthorpe bank.
The Raptor's appearance as a slayer master coincided with the release of four new slayer monsters throughout the month, with one released every week. Following each monster's release, it was possible that they would be received as one of the Raptor's assignments, with special rewards available through drops from the new monster.
In the first week of the month, following the release of the wyverns, he could be found south of the Port Sarim Jail. While he was there a body of dead wyvern could be found near him and his chest. During his stay near the entrance to the Ripper Demon cave, the body of a Ripper Demon was added on top of the wyvern. During his stay outside the walls of Sophanem, the body of a Camel Warrior was added on top of his current pile of corpses. During his stay outside Rellekka, the body of an Acheron mammoth was added on top of the current pile, squishing everything else underneath it due to its massive weight.
After a while, the Raptor, disgusted by how a slayer master operates by simply telling people to kill whatever they asked and how these new opponents were terribly weak, stopped his challenges. He decided to look for even more challenging opponents but left his chest in Burthorpe for anyone who managed to complete his key.
- After Dragon Slayer, he comments that Elvarg is just a dragon and that he isn't impressed.
- After Nomad's Requiem, he comments about the player killing Nomad, and reckons the player could be as good as himself.
- After While Guthix Sleeps, he comments on the player's skill in defeating the Balance Elemental and considers going after Lucien himself.
- After Within the Light, he comments on the player finding their way into Prifddinas, but has no desire of his own to help the elves.
- After Dream Mentor, he comments on the player killing The Inadequacy and states that it was just an imaginary monster.
- After Legends' Quest, he comments that Nezikchened is just a demon and that he isn't impressed.
- After The Void Stares Back, he comments on the player killing the Pest Queen and expresses his regret on not being at the fight.
- After Ritual of the Mahjarrat, he comments on the player defeating the Balance Elemental and helping to sort out Lucien. He then comments about the player not going after the Dragonkin.
- Throughout the Gielinor Games, he has many lines.
- He has at least 96 Slayer, as he managed to build up a pile of dead bodies consisting of a living wyvern, ripper demon, camel warrior and Archeron mammoth, although his conversation with Kuradal suggests he is 99, possibly even higher as Kuradal comments "[He] should be teaching me."
- If one tries talking to the Raptor before they have defeated any "worthy opponents", he will completely ignore them.
- The Raptor had about 1000 life points before they were increased, as for a small time he could be slain by the brutal green dragons due to an update which buffed their strength.
- While fighting brutal green dragons, he can hit up to 10,000 life points in one blow on the dragon.
- The Raptor has the same voice actor as Bandos.
- The Raptor would retaliate if attacked with a mindspike during the course of its glitch.
- When you talk to the Raptor for the first time as a slayer master, he says "You, come here. I'm your slayer master now." which is a reference to the 2013 film Captain Philips.