|Release||11 January 2012 (Update)|
|Quest item||The Firemaker's Curse|
|Destroy||You can get another copy from Char.|
|On death||Always kept outside Wild|
|Examine||A book containing Char's secrets and knowledge.|
The Book of Char is an item gained as a reward from The Firemaker's Curse and can be found in the player's bookcase in a House.
It can be wielded in the off-hand slot and has a right-click ability activated by selecting the "Unleash" right click option. When activated, fiery domes will spin around the player, immediately igniting any log the player walks/runs over. Doing this will give the player double the Firemaking experience they would normally get when lighting logs and lasts for around 2 to 3 minutes (or until unequipped). This effect does not stack with any other firemaking experience boost such as Bonus experience, Flame gloves, or Ring of fire. The ability can only be used once per day, and recharges at midnight UTC. When you try to Unleash the book again before it has regained its power, the following message appears: "The book is still recharging power."
The logs do not have to be dropped beforehand in order for them to be lit. The player can simply drop the logs while walking or running and they will turn into ashes instantly. Continuous movement is required; if the player stops, the logs will simply drop to the ground without turning into ashes. The Book can light logs that you lack the firemaking level to light normally. For instance, with a firemaking level of 74 (bare minimum to complete the quest) and you used the book's ability on magic logs, you would still light them even though you would need a firemaking level of 75 to light them using a tinderbox.
If a stack of two or more logs are passed over by the player while The Book of Char is active, the effect will only burn one log at a time. In order to ignite additional logs, you will have to walk off of the square with the logs and back onto it to ignite the next log.
Following an update in January 2012 a teleport option was added when right-clicking the Book of Char. This will teleport a player right to the entrance of Char's training cave. Note that once you click "teleport" you will instantly teleport there. This may only be used once per day and resets at 00:00 UTC. Trying again results in the game message, "You have already used this today."
If you lose the book you can simply speak to Char and use the third option about losing your journal pages.
Experience gained from burning logs with The Book of Char will not count towards the growth progress of a Harmony Pillar attuned to the firemaking skill.
|Armour||0||PvM: 0%||PvP: 0%|
|Life points||0||Style bonuses|
|[FAQ] • [doc]|
Training firemaking with a beast of burdenEdit
Since dropping a log requires a right-click option for each log, more logs may be dropped by using a Beast of burden. This is accomplished by systematically filling a beast of burden's inventory with logs and dismissing it. Upon dismissal, all the logs will be dropped in a single stack.
In order to maximise experience, follow these steps:
- Empty the inventory and go to a bank which permits fire lighting (Ex. Edgeville Bank)
- Withdraw and equip The Book of Char (Be sure not to activate it now)
- Withdraw 1 summoning pouch for the desired beast of burden (Preferred Spirit Terrorbird or better)
- Summon Beast of burden.
- Fill the Beast of burden's inventory with the logs using Beast of burden Bank presets or using the Withdraw X to BoB interface.
- Position the Beast of burden so that the creature's south-west corner occupies the space where the logs are desired
- Dismiss the Beast of burden
- Repeat steps 3-7 as many times as desired (try to drop subsequent log stacks adjacent to existing log stacks)
- Activate The Book of Char by right-clicking on it in the Equipment window
- Run repeatedly over the various stacks of logs
- Once the logs are dropped, they will become visible to other players in 1 minute. Try to begin burning the logs before 1 minute passes in order to avoid other players picking up the logs
- Once the logs are dropped, they will disappear after 3 minutes pass.
- Once The Book of Char is unleashed, the effect will be active for 2 minutes.
This table assumes that the player drops logs using only a beast of burden, the total time for dropping logs and burning logs is 5 minutes, and all dropped logs are burned using The Book of Char. The column headers represent the different beasts of burden. (S for Spirit terrorbird, W for War tortoise, P for Pack yak)
|Familiars dismissed||Maple logs||Yew logs||Magic logs||Elder logs|
|Max cost per day ||26,820||49,620||97,770||858,720|
|Cost per XP ||0.16||0.48||0.85||6.29|
- ^ Mod Ana. "Impossible to get book back?." 11 January 2012. Recent Game Updates Forums.
- ^ Includes the cost of summoning pouches, assuming 5 pack yaks are used.
- ^ Does not include the cost of summoning pouches.
This method for gaining experience is not sustainable; therefore it cannot be used for prolonged firemaking training. The experience per hour ratios are meant for the purpose of time comparison.
- It is the first item in RuneScape 2 to have more than its first letter capitalised.
- The orb that forms around your character when the book is activated bears a resemblance to the Stone of Jas effect after The Ritual of the Mahjarrat when entering certain areas. The sound that it makes is the same as the Clan Citadel portal, which visually bears an even stronger resemblance.
- This was one of only two items in RuneScape that has a double experience effect to Firemaking, until the bonus experience update, which made the Penance horn redundant as experience was given straight to the skill.
- When players light logs from their inventory with The Book of Char's special ability enabled, they will move east from a lit fire instead of the normal western direction.
- If the player ran in 1 direction, with logs on each tile before them a maximum of 200 logs could be lit each minute (400-600 logs for the total duration and upwards of 243,040-364,560 Firemaking experience could be gained using magic logs). If walking the number would be halved.
|Related to the Return of Zaros quest series|