What to addEdit
- This is a fair question. The Varrock fur stall is a kind of exception, as he both buys and sells something that is quite unique to the game, and IMHO such specialty shops ought to be included even if they don't have a more typical shop interface. The question here is
- As for bars and inns that sell ale and beers of various kinds, perhaps they ought to be put onto a separate template, as there are sufficient numbers of these places that it would be useful to identify all of them as a separate category of places.
- BTW, this template is at least in theory a part of the Story Survey Wikiguild. I would love to see your suggestions on this and other aspects of trying to improve the quality of pages related to shops. One of the things that frustrates me is when I need an item or have something that isn't selling on the Grand Exchange, it is nice to know where you can either obtain it or get rid of it. Speciality stores have always given better value than general stores. In addition, a good survey like this can also identify money making opportunities that you might not be aware of. --Robert Horning 18:02, 25 August 2009 (UTC)
- Oh, there already is a Template:Bars.
Regrouping... into kingdoms ?!? Edit
I'm trying to figure out how to partially reformat this template to take in more cities. The current limit for the navigation box that we are using here is for 14 different "groups" (raised from 10 just for this template... I wanted to give us a little bit of breathing room before we were forced into making changes). More to the point, this is getting a little unwieldy for its own good, although I do like a common shop navigation box.
What I'm thinking of doing here is to break each kingdom (Asgarnia, Misthalin, Morytania, etc.) into a separate "group" of some sort and have sub-groupings for each city in that "kingdom". I have some further thoughts on this as well, but at least I'd like to start the conversation and see what other ideas might be here to allow further growth of this concept. --Robert Horning 16:36, 28 August 2009 (UTC)
- I also wanted to suggest this, but I didn't think it was necessary as I didn't know of the limits. I think regrouping would be great. So far, most of Misthalin has been done, f2p Asgarnia is complete, and in the f2p world only Musa Point (should the bar there, which functions as a real shop, be added?) and some of the more obscure shops in Varrock (in the part where Dimintheis lives, behind the gate).
- I must say, it is becoming a bit chaotic with all those groups. Oil4burgers Talk 16:42, 28 August 2009 (UTC)
Adjustment for grouping into kingdoms Edit
I've made a tweak to group the various shops by kingdom, and I'm starting with Misthalin to give an example. There are a couple of different ways to get this to work, but it seems like this is the best way to keep the shop information from falling all over itself and give room for more cities. The alternative way is to use the sub-grouping method as outlined in Template:Navbox and use the "subgroup" keyword. It would be interesting to see what else we could come up with here. --Robert Horning 23:46, 30 August 2009 (UTC)
- Great. I'm not a hero with navboxes, so if you make more of the subs (Kharidian desert, Asgarnia, Wilderness, Karamja, Kandarin, Feldip Hills, Tirannwn, Morytania? Maybe more or less?), I'll put some more cities in. Oil4burgers Talk 10:40, September 3, 2009 (UTC)
Too big Edit
It's absurd to have every shop in the game listed at the end of every shop article. --Wowbagger421 23:23, September 12, 2009 (UTC)
- Fair enough. While I think that much more in terms of HTML appends every article in terms of sidebars, advertisements from Wikia, and other stuff not directly related to an article, this is quite a few links in terms of connecting each and every shop article to each other. Any suggestions on how to re-organize and regroup this, however?
- Also, for the short term solution, I think it still would be worthwhile to at least collect all of the links to all shops, and then start the process or reorganization afterward. This does not have to be a permanent condition.
- By way of suggestion, perhaps all of the shops for a "kingdom" can be grouped together (Asgarnia, Misthalin, Morytania, etc.) and then similar shops also be grouped in separate templates (rune shops, armor shops, archery shops, etc.) There are other ways to break this up and still allow for some quick navigation between shop articles for things somebody might be interested in. Certainly this doesn't have to be completely eliminated.
- This shop list is really just a place to start, not the end or final version of what could or should be here. --Robert Horning 01:20, September 16, 2009 (UTC)
- I also agree this is just too big. I would support separating it into Kingdom's. For places that are hard to determine what the Kingdom is, I don't know. Maybe one for Keldagrim, Dorgeshuun, and the islands can be classified by the Sea (Fremennik Isles, Eastern Sea, etc.) And a big list of EVERY shop, I would support. Maybe I might get started on it right now! Please check this discussion too, please. Cheers, Chicken7 >talk 04:27, October 1, 2009 (UTC)
- What about placing the shops in each kingdom in a collapsable box, which are all located in the one navbox. Probably, the box with the shop that you are currently viewing would be automatically opened. This would split it into kingdoms like Chicken said, but still allow easy, quick navigation between all shops. I am not sure if this is possible to code, or if it is even a good idea. Evil Yanks talk 04:40, October 1, 2009 (UTC)
- Just as we've done with the various armor item articles, I would support both a "kingdom" shop template (aka all of the shops in that kingdom being grouped together) and a "specialty shop" template... such as the rune shops, armor shops, hunter shops, etc. on each shop article. As far as what kingdoms cities like Keldagrim or the Dorgeshuun should be in.... I'd treat them as independent cities like Al-Kharid. Certainly the shop templates should match whatever organization is being done along those lines with the city articles as well, so this isn't something strictly about the shops either. --Robert Horning 20:34, October 1, 2009 (UTC)
- Yes, that all sounds great. I suggest we use these kingdoms:
- Fremennik Province & islands in lunar sea
- Troll lands
- Feldip Hills / Oo'Glog
- Southern sea islands (from Entrana to Pest control island)
- Kharidian desert
- Pirate islands
Specialty shop Edit
I have just found a stub page 'Specialty shop' could the shops table be moved there? Also Tamayu's Spear Stall is missing.
- Hardly. It is being used on a fairly large number of pages at the moment, even if the re-organization suggestion hasn't happened yet. We're just pushed into a number of different directions, and if you or anybody else has time to help reorganize this, go ahead. Often projects like this lay dormant for awhile until somebody has the drive to complete it. --Robert Horning 13:00, October 27, 2009 (UTC)
- Umm, what's up with the shops of Burthorpe and Taverley? There's nothing there, so we should just remove the section to look better. --Captain Sciz 22:52, December 14, 2009 (UTC)
- No, we just haven't been able to get to Burthorpe and Taverly. Please leave them in for now. There are shops in both of those towns that need to have articles created for them and added to this template. If anything, leaving them blank should remind people that more needs to be done to this wiki, and it is hardly "complete" on potential content. --Robert Horning 15:28, December 17, 2009 (UTC)
Taverley and Burthorpe belong to Asgarnia, not Misthalin! Since I don't know how to edit templates, can someone fix that please? Jampolo 17:17, March 21, 2010 (UTC)
Wilderness/Other Realms Shops not listedEdit
This. Anyone know which ones are missing? Old Smithy 22:20, April 6, 2011 (UTC)