|Release date||23 June 2001 (Update)|
|Location||Al Kharid, Varrock, Crafting Guild, Ranging Guild, Canifis|
|Examine|| • He has a certain bovine aroma.|
• Manufacturer of fine leathers.
A Tanner is a non-player character who, for a price, will tan hides into leather:
- Cowhide, which becomes Leather.
- Snake hide, which becomes Snakeskin.
- Green, blue, red, and black Dragonhide, which becomes Dragon leather of the same colour.
Players cannot tan hides themselves, unless they have access to the Make Leather spell, so tanners are very useful for players wishing to use the Crafting skill to make Ranged armour. While certain types of leather require a minimum crafting level to craft them, there is no minimum crafting level to use a tanner to tan the hides.
- Ellis in Al Kharid. Both the Ring of duelling and the Amulet of glory can be used to teleport to Al Kharid, and Ellis is near a bank.
- The ground floor[ of the ]Crafting Guild.
- South-west Varrock, south of the western Varrock bank, west of the Apothecary.
- Ranging Guild (members only).
- Sbott in Canifis (members only). Sbott charges higher prices for tanning, a bit over twice what other tanners charge. Sbott is near both the C•K•S Fairy ring and a bank.
- Jack Oval, the crafting tutor south of Burthorpe and north of Taverley. (Recommended spot with outside left click bank chest)
Similar to tanning hides into leather, Yak-hide can be cured into Cured yak-hide, which is used to craft Yak-hide armour. Thakkrad Sigmundson on Neitiznot (members only) can cure yak-hide but cannot tan other hides. Other tanners cannot cure yak-hide.
After a recent update tanning soft leather with Ellis is now free, but when spoken to without leather, he says "I make leather from animal hides. Bring me some cowhides and one gold coin per hide, and I'll tan them into soft leather for you." This is most likely something Jagex missed while updating their servers and it is unknown if it will be fixed.
|Raw material||Product||Crafting level||Tanning price|
|Snake hide (Tai Bwo Wannai Cleanup)||Snakeskin||45||15||25|
|Snake hide (Temple Trekking)||Snakeskin||45||20||45|
|Green dragonhide||Green dragon leather||57||20||45|
|Blue dragonhide||Blue dragon leather||66||20||45|
|Red dragonhide||Red dragon leather||73||20||45|
|Black dragonhide||Black dragon leather||79||20||
|Royal dragonhide||Royal dragon leather||87||20||45|