Tanners are non-player characters who, for a price, will tan hides into leather; Cowhide, which becomes Leather, Snake hide, which becomes Snakeskin, and Green, blue, red, and black Dragonhide, which becomes Dragon leather of the same colour.
Players cannot tan hides themselves, unless they have access to the Make Leather spell, so tanners are very useful for players wishing to use the Crafting skill to make Ranged armour. While certain types of leather require a minimum crafting level to craft them, there is no minimum crafting level to use a tanner to tan the hides.
- The 1st floor[ of the ]Crafting Guild.
- South-west Varrock, south of the western Varrock bank, west of the Apothecary.
- Ranging Guild (members only).
- The Ithell Clan district of Prifddinas.
Three other NPCs also serve as tanners:
- Ellis in Al Kharid. The Ring of duelling, Al Kharid Lodestone and the Amulet of glory can be used to teleport to Al Kharid, and Ellis is 3 buildings North of the bank.
- Sbott in Canifis (members only). Sbott charges higher prices for tanning, a bit over twice what other tanners charge. Sbott is near both the C•K•S Fairy ring and a bank.
- Jack Oval, the crafting tutor south of Burthorpe and north of Taverley.
Similar to tanning hides into leather, Yak-hide can be cured into Cured yak-hide, which is used to craft Yak-hide armour. Thakkrad Sigmundson on Neitiznot (members only) can cure yak-hide but cannot tan other hides. Other tanners cannot cure yak-hide.
|Raw material||Product||Crafting level||Tanning price|
|Snake hide (Tai Bwo Wannai Cleanup)||Snakeskin||2||15||25|
|Snake hide (Temple Trekking)||Snakeskin||2||20||45|
|Green dragonhide||Green dragon leather||2||20||45|
|Blue dragonhide||Blue dragon leather||2||20||45|
|Red dragonhide||Red dragon leather||2||20||45|
|Black dragonhide||Black dragon leather||2||20||
|Royal dragonhide||Royal dragon leather||2||20||45|