I think someone should add a section on some commons strategies used when killing these. I would do so myself, but I haven't gotten around to killing any. Aquilae 08:06, 16 May 2008 (UTC)
I dont exactly have proof but in the drops its says clue scroll always comes with blood runes and i didnt get any with my last clue scroll and yes im 100% positive of this IPwnWitJesus 17:47, June 3, 2011 (UTC)
Could i use guthans over there?? Like the chaos tunnels for healing. I think they are not aggressive there.
I can also use summoning for the extra combat bonus.
Is that good?
They are, and you get hit a lot, very quickly. There are unaggressive weaker monsters in nearby rooms, like turoths and earth warriors, but I've tried both places and the cavern is far better.
Ranged attack extremely accurate? Edit
They are not any more accurate than their magic attacks. Its just that their ranged attack is also magic based, therefore if you were wearing torags their attack will easily get through your armor. 126.96.36.199 03:28, 11 September 2008 (UTC)
Haha, that video has epic music. I recognize the second song track, but I forget where I heard it...15:48, 10 June 2009 (UTC)
- Never mind. The first track, I believe, is from Hidden Village in Twilight Princess, and the second song is from Kirby!
15:51, 10 June 2009 (UTC)
- I don't recognise the first one (0:00 - 2:06 ish), I don't think its from TP (not Hidden Village anyway, might be a cutscene or a remix of a Zelda theme, sounds kinda familiar). Second one (2:07 - 3:48) is Kirby: Fountain of Dreams from Super Smash Bros. Melee (and returns in Brawl); abruptly (3:49 - 6:42) changes to Gormet Race from Brawl (the metal-style remix). Woot for video game nerdiness =D 16:48, 10 June 2009 (UTC)
Ice Plateau FortressEdit
They seem to have some extra drops compared the ancient cavern ones so far Got: Sara and Zammy brew (1) and 25 cannonballs and drop 2 charms instead of 1, with a reduced drop rate. dont know how to add this to the drop table so i'll let a more regular contributer do it 188.8.131.52 19:14, December 4, 2009 (UTC)
- I frequently kill waterfiends in pursuit of 99 summoning, so I'll try and gather some charm rate info from them. For comparison with maxed melee, super attack and strength pots, dwarven helm, sara sword, karils, zammy cape (no fire cape), fury, barrows gloves, and dragon boots I average about 80 crimson charms per hour in ancient caverns. I'm currently trying the same outfit with sgs, but after that I'll try them at the ice plateau fortress. To3cutt3r Talk 20:45, December 4, 2009 (UTC)
- I don't know what you were doing Alex, but I agree with To3cutt3r. I spent 10 minutes slaying them (killed 19 in that time) and I got 6 crimson charms. Thats a drop rate of ~31.5% if they were regular, and only ~15.8% at 2 crimsons per fiend. Alex, maybe I was just doing things wrong; if you could tell me what you were wearing / using, I might have better results. Cheers, Penderwyll 20:02, December 23, 2009 (UTC)
- My mistake, I forgot this was about Ice Plateau Fortress >.<. I was thinking of Ancient Caverns. Its Alex Pan 18:53, December 28, 2009 (UTC)
- The debate over weapons (SS, Z Spear and SGS) is largely a matter of personal preference. I prefer a fast weapon, which allows more damage in general due to getting more hits in. Naturally, the SGS has a way better special attack, but its also much slower. Further, the cost of the SGS makes it a much weaker choice for the vast majority of players than a weapon such as the SS or Spear. In terms of exp per hour, I have no idea though I'd be surprised if there was a large difference (greater than 50k exp) between the two. Cheers, Penderwyll 00:16, December 17, 2009 (UTC)
- In the weapons section, I have noticed the Chaotic maul was removed from first. Not only that it was removed from the entire page! I have a chaotic maul and use for crushing the waterfiends all the time and would argue it needs to be first on the list. #1 - being that it has the highest crush bonus of any weapon in runescape (to which waterfiends are very weak). #2 - being it is the strongest weapon in runescape. It has the drawback of being as slow as a gs but I still believe it more than makes up for it in strength and attack bonuses. After comparing to a ss and a zammy spear, I typically average about 30-40% more waterfiends per hour. I'm not about to change the list though unless I get some more support. Teh Chicken 08:14, July 7, 2010 (UTC)
- What I am confused about is why Zammy Spear is before Sara Sword...
- So I did some research...
- First of all ZS and SS have identical speeds.
- SS has 60+ crush attack and 82+ strength.
- ZS has 65+ crush attack but only 75+ strength.
- I have for extensive periods (with both of the weapons and super sets, identical armour) and I notice that with both weapons I rarely miss. The extra crush bonus from ZS is therefore not worth the loss of str bonus. (as crush bonus only affects accuracy?) I say that SS is better than ZS against waterfiends.
- 184.108.40.206 13:47, July 18, 2011 (UTC)Chokii
I'm comparing the charm drop rate at Chaos Tunnels to Ancient Caverns using my slayer tasks.
By the way, since it seems pretty uncommon for people to go to Chaos Tunnels for Waterfiends, you can bypass the "piling". If you stand in the room with the Fire Elementals next to the Waterfiends' room, and stand there for 10 minutes, the Waterfiends will become unaggressive. Log out and back in, then walk into the Waterfiends' room - they will be unaggressive. Regardless of the charm drop rate,I've been noticing more charms/hour in Chaos Tunnels than in Ancient Caverns - less crowded, more density in spawns, the ability to use combat familiars.
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 202 kills.
1 charm is dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Its Alex Pan 16:01, February 7, 2010 (UTC)
Fire Cape Not First?Edit
Whoever does all the equipment tiers is just dumb as hell. I can understand putting a fire cape in second if you're extremely biased for prayer bonus, but dead last is just stupid. Berserker ring and it's imbued version aren't even mentioned in the rings section, and considering this is a monster that you sacrifice your weapon of choice for a good crush bonus just exaggerates the need for more strength bonus. I think it would be helpful if someone noted that prayer/defence is helpful if you want to sit in one place for longer, but that strength (and attack to an extent) is more important if you want to get more kills/experience/charms per hour. HxC Ferret 01:54, February 12, 2010 (UTC)
- I know from experience prayer bonus is a lot more helpful than strength bonus. scooties 01:59, February 12, 2010 (UTC)
What you think is better is also an opinion. Not everyone's time is worth nothing. HxC Ferret 03:56, February 12, 2010 (UTC)
Proposal: Remove tiers - I'd personally abolish the tiers thing and simply list useful items for each slot and discuss why they are useful - and, importantly, let the reader decide what to use. This should also hopefully make the article more neutral. 14:35, February 12, 2010 (UTC)
My thoughts exactly, Gaz. HxC Ferret 02:42, February 13, 2010 (UTC)
One of the best suggestions I've heard yet! Who can make this happen? Tiers just aren't neutral, aren't what everyone might personally consider best, and to be honest, often don't represent the average player. (How many people with completionist capes even need a guide for fiends, at this point?) They aren't helpful because they tend not to explain themselves, and they wind up being a mesh of various opinions and personal preferences, forever subject to change with the next edit. I third that they be removed, not just from this page but where they are found. Chrishankhah 14:44, January 21, 2012 (UTC)
Change in charm drop rates... Edit
I've been killing waterfiends for a long time. I used to get around 120 crims, 1-5 gold+green+blue, every trip. More recently (with higher prayer and stats) I've been getting about 160 crims, about 20 golds, 1-5 green+blue. So it would seem to me that golds are more common and crimsons could possibly be less common. Anyone else getting this result? --HaloTalk 13:13, February 19, 2010 (UTC)
Seems more like a matter of luck, tbh I think your just imaganing thing's. 220.127.116.11 18:04, November 19, 2011 (UTC)
Using ranged against themEdit
Are ranged attacks any good against waterfiends, and if not, wouldn't the range bonus that high magic defence armour gives make up for their high defence? Ziggy 94 16:10, March 1, 2010 (UTC)
- Range does work, though not as well as melee. I've seen it used occasionally by high level people in the ancient caverns, usually because they don't feel like getting more melee exp. Its slower (obviously) since you can attack with melee quite rapidly using a Z Spear or SS, but its a valid choice if you prefer to range. I'd suggest high level bolts though, emerald enchanted or above. I haven't actually tried this method though, so feel free to experiment. Cheers, Penderwyll 19:28, March 1, 2010 (UTC)
- Additionally, I have seen range be used to safespot waterfiends after they become unagressive by trapping them using a longrange setting. -Anon
Godsword question Edit
- You pretty much have to use crush on waterfiends if you want to kill them efficiently. +80 crush would be better than +132 slash since waterfiends are so resistant to slash. Suppa chuppa T C CVRC 05:27, April 19, 2010 (UTC)
- As I recall, the best weapon to use against them is a Zamorak spear, but I've heard that if that's not avaliable, a Barrelchest anchor anchor performs surprisingly well. 08:18, July 7, 2010 (UTC)
Prayer Flashing Edit
Hey, I was just reading the article through and i noticed that under strategies there was nothing about prayer flashing, which I've found to be extremely efficient, especially since it saves a ton of money (I use about 3 prayer potions per bunyip pouch, not sure what someone would normally use if they just kept it on the whole time they were killing these but i'm guessing it would be significantly higher, probably 8-10+). Anyone else think it would be a good idea to put that up? The timing I use is turn it on right as the hit splash appears on me, and turning it off on the next game click. It works every time if i time it right; it seems that the attack animation of the waterfiends is so long that it starts right as the last attack hits. Arkenemyste7 03:41, May 18, 2010 (UTC) 03:39, May 18, 2010 (UTC)
dragonfire shield question Edit
i was being an idiot the otherday and decharged my dfs and i went to waterfiends... then when i realized that my dfs was uncharged (i am very forgetful) i went to charge it and came back, i found they hit me a whole lot less with a full dfs, someone care to explain? Masterx3829 14:20, August 3, 2010 (UTC)
Drop table for this article is not complete Edit
I recently received a drop of 150 onyx bolts. Seems pretty rare, because I've killed thousands and never had it. Needs confirmation. 18.104.22.168 23:10, March 17, 2011 (UTC)
Specifically in the herbs section. Current it says they only drop Dwarf and Ranarr Weeds.
I am at Waterfiends now and I can confirm they drop Marrentill, Tarromin, Kwuarm and Irit too. Most likely many other varieties as well.
- Then edit it to reflect that. (; 04:47, September 20, 2010 (UTC)
- @Above - Yeah I would, but not too familar on editing the wiki, and knowing my past attempts, it would be a poor edit. So I am just notifying others so it can be fixed properly.
- I could edit it for you, but first I'd have to know if these drops are noted/unnoted, what the quantity one drop is, if it's at Ghorrock or not, and what their rarity is. 05:17, September 20, 2010 (UTC)
- @Above - Sure, (Guam is also a drop just got it) They are not noted. and they are always Grimy, they are always in 1 quantity and it is not at Ghorrock. I would like to say the Marrentill, Tarromin, and Guam are fairly common to uncommon and the Irit Kwuarm Dwarf, Ranarr, in the uncommon to semi rare category.
- They only drop one herb at a time, noted? Are you sure? 05:33, September 20, 2010 (UTC)
- @Above - See above, "not noted" and only one they can drop 2 herbs in one drop but what I meant is, is that they will never drop more than 1 of each type of herb (as in they are noted and you get 3 - 5 herbs or something like that).
- Make sense? sorry english is not my first language so my sentences might be a bit botched at times.
Chaotic Rapier? Edit
I've found that with 99 Attack that Chaotic Rapier + Rune Defender is doing better damage than a Zamorakian Spear. Anyone else want to do some testing and possibly edit the Weapon choices? SecretDragoon 23:36, November 20, 2010 (UTC)
I agree. With Turmoil and Extremes/Overloads, my experience is that a Chaotic Rapier + Dragon Defender on a slayer task is better than a Saradomin Sword if you have 90+ attack. At 99 attack, I wouldn't be surprised if the rapier was stronger than even a Chaotic Maul.
Perhaps too much has been made if the waterfiends' resistance to slash and stab attacks. 22.214.171.124 19:45, August 18, 2011 (UTC)
High Crush Bonus Edit
I wear a D Battle axe (bear with me) and a dragon def and a glory along with barrows gloves i get a 110+ crush bonus... so if you wear maxing armour you would get a huge boost...
I reacon now that we have the dragon defender, 2h items are not going to be better than 1h items because of all the boosts you can get.
just my opinion, if you want more info pm me
Your idea seems nice...
However! D battle axe has several flaws. It is, first and foremost, the speed of a godsword...(0.0). Later, it has a huge lack of strength bonus compared to...say the godsword.
SS/ZS is way better than D battleaxe. Sorry to say
126.96.36.199 15:27, July 20, 2011 (UTC)Chokii
Could we possibly add the Chaotic Staff to the list of good crush weapons?
It's attack bonuses are equal to a dragon battleaxe and it's strength bonus better than a Dragon Longsword however, as it's one tick faster, it may have better DPS over the Dragon Battleaxe, especially when you use a Dragon Defender?
BGS vs SS Edit
Does the faster speed of the SS outweigh the fact that the BGS beats it in everything else, and is cheaper? Egdcltd 10:23, December 1, 2011 (UTC)
goliath vs chaotic maul
I have been doing a lot of testing between the two weapons and is what i have found
set up your basic waterfiend
nezy, fury, besrker ring, karil's, steafast, sw cape, goliath gloves + either maul or d defender
turmoil+ extreme attack and strengths,
no restalking, attack and strength never allowed to drop bellow 115 and were boosted when they reached such
40 minute period on 10 seperate occasions for both maul and goliath gloves, recording the number of kills, during a period of time in which I was either alone or only one other player is present, in the ancient cavern.
Cb stats are all maxed out at 99
Chaotic maul- 1)-97 2)94 3)102 4)93 5)94 6)98 7)91 8)89 9)97 10)105
or 2.4 kills per minute
Goliath gloves 1)110 2)105 3)112 4)111 5)113 6)110 7)110 8)117 9)110 10)111
or 2.78 kills per minute
Now my own personal little study into the matter clearly demonstrates a higher kill rate from the use of the goliath gloves than the chaotic maul, with all varibles kept the same other than the weapon of choice, even using the goliath gloves with the chaotic maul for a little more kick in the absence of a fire cape.
Now it's pretty easy to make up some random figures and expect people to believe it, I do not expect such. I wish to collaborate other findings to back my own .So please feel free try this out and come back with your finding's,<a data-rte-meta="%7B%22type%22%3A%22internal%22%2C%22text%22%3A%22188.8.131.52%22%2C%22link%22%3A%22Special%3AContributions%5C%2F184.108.40.206%22%2C%22wasblank%22%3Afalse%2C%22noforce%22%3Atrue%2C%22wikitext%22%3A%22%5B%5BSpecial%3AContributions%5C%2F220.127.116.11%7C18.104.22.168%5D%5D%22%7D" data-rte-instance="304-21001076774ee8fcfc062f6" href="/wiki/Special:Contributions/22.214.171.124" title="Special:Contributions/126.96.36.199">188.8.131.52</a> 17:51, December 12, 2011 (UTC)
interesting..... im going to test it out aswell. i will provide the damage part of the spectrum. every 10th hit, i record. for 100 hits maybe, or 10. idk. 85 str, 80 atk, going to be using extreme attack and strength while on a slayer task.<img data-rte-meta="%7B%22type%22%3A%22double-brackets%22%2C%22lineStart%22%3A%22%22%2C%22title%22%3A%22Signatures%5C%2FDomitan%22%2C%22placeholder%22%3A1%2C%22wikitext%22%3A%22%7B%7BSignatures%5C%2FDomitan%7D%7D%22%7D" data-rte-instance="304-21001076774ee8fcfc062f6" class="placeholder placeholder-double-brackets" src="data:image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAIABAAAAAP///yH5BAEAAAEALAAAAAABAAEAQAICTAEAOw%3D%3D" type="double-brackets" /> 19:42, December 14, 2011 (UTC)
Weapon recommendations? Edit
Shouldn't Goliath gloves with dragon defender be ranked at least after chaotic maul, since they beat both SS and ZS in every way when it comes to crush? Or am i missing something?
Elminster86 14:50, December 21, 2011 (UTC)
Best Weapon for Maxed/Near-Maxed Players Edit
According to most of us efficiency/statistics/mathcraft community in places like the xp-waste forums and the RSOF's Item Discussion section, the order of waterfiends weapons goes as follows as far as pure kills per hour:
Goliath > Rapier > SS > Maul > ZS > other
I seem to get more clue scrolls from them in ghorock than in ancient cavern. Has anyone else noticed this? Could the rarity be different between the locations ? StirlingWolf 15:21, April 18, 2012 (UTC)
So should i be using gano with pray range or just royal dhide with piety ?
Cape... soul wars cape or fire cape ?
The waterfiends are different with red patches on their arms. The one shown here doesn't for the Ghorrock verison. I'd like to get the picture, but I'm afraid someone will delete it, so it would be appreciated if someone got the picture for me. Dungeonmaster12 (talk) 20:20, March 24, 2013 (UTC)