Untitled Discussion Edit
The curse is training for it...12:24, January 2, 2012 (UTC)
Amen, Kin....what you said19:45, January 3, 2012 (UTC)
Kin wins. Totally excited for this quest, though. Zaros, Zamorak, Mahjarrat, and Fire! My favorite things ever.Verticity 20:38, January 7, 2012 (UTC)
- It was a mistake. The correct requirement is 74. Talk 03:00, January 10, 2012 (UTC)
- It wasn't a mistake. Jagex changed their mind after a bunch of people complained. I still don't get why the dropped the FM requirement for a "high level firemaking quest" so low, especially when 74 is even lower than the constitution requirement. MarkGyver (talk | make a merchanting table) 01:02, January 11, 2012 (UTC)
74 fm? woot Edit
I personally am glad that they reduced the firemaking level from 90 to 74.
I was going to give up on the questcape, but now that I don't need to spend 500K on maple logs and be harassed by people that think I'm botting, I'm going for the questcape again!
Thank you jagex! <301:09, January 11, 2012 (UTC)
But with Jadinko, you get so much faster exp and no cost. That's why a lot of people were against the change. 90 isn't all that hard and very cheap. Deadlyaznboy 23:19, January 11, 2012 (UTC)
With the release of 90 fm as a requirement, I went straight to grinding for days. Then today, it turns out all the hours of grinding I did was meaningless (I still have to grind another level for the pet, though I don't really want it). Spent like 3m on yew logs and spent hours in jadinko all for nothing (I still have to grind for ROTM agility/quest cape and I could have done that). Also there was a glitch where items were lost at Soul Wars on death. Great updates RS... you really are stepping up to the plate here.
No boosts Edit
Boosts don't work for the quest, or at least for firemaking. I used stews to get up to 74fm with the other two requirements met, but I couldn't start it.
I understand what I need to do, but am stuck on the 4th room (with the yellow and red powder), I've tried 8 (if not more) different patterns to match the flame in the journal with no success. It looks like the western side needs to be connected, but my character will not position correctly to light a fire there. Could someone provide an image for this discussion that more explicitly represents the fire arrangement required?
Also, in the main page, could spoilers such as "Tie up Twig" be removed in favour of a more general directive? I.e. "Tie up the character that you suspect of being under Char's control". As I understand it, the page should talk about the quest, not act as a specific and explicit walkthrough. Additionally, Jagex have advised that there are multiple ways of proceeding through the quest.
220.127.116.11 15:13, January 11, 2012 (UTC)
I noticed in the trivia section it says the second quest to have a construction requirement. What about cold war and hunt for the red raktuber?<>< fish4fally ><> 15:29, January 11, 2012 (UTC)
Constitution, not construction >.< 18.104.22.168 15:50, January 11, 2012 (UTC)
Thanks for correction. Shouldve stayed as hitpoints anyway in my opinion. <>< fish4fally ><> 16:31, January 11, 2012 (UTC)
I'm having difficulty on the fifth firemaking room; I try following the advice of the guide, but it's hard to think critically when you're rushed and ready to smash your computer from sheer frustration. Is there a way someone could list an actual strategy besides "blue, then red"? Thanks! 22.214.171.124 23:17, April 9, 2013 (UTC)
No emote reward? Edit
They also stated that there would be a new emote unlocked after finishing this quest. Yet I dont see it, also removed like the original fm requirement? Comadant 19:06, January 11, 2012 (UTC)
They were talking about The Book of Char's Unleash emote.
Safe quest Edit
Last I checked it is possible to die in this quest. Will items be kept? --Whiplash 23:12, January 11, 2012 (UTC)
This quest is safe, and items are retained upon 'death'. The firemakers will actually save the player before death for an immediate respawn at any time in the caves.02:05, January 12, 2012 (UTC)
Char fight is incorrect Edit
Whoever wrote information on the Char fight is completely incorrect. You CANNOT damage her, unless you capture a spark in one of your fires (which only lasts about 10 seconds). Just randomly attacking her with 9 fires lit will get you nowhere. There are a few different sparks with different abilities. I don't know all of the abilities but this is what I do know:
Green Spark: Life leech
No, you can damage her anytime, although you do miss occasionally. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnrynrDp-Uc
More about the sparks: although they seemed to me to be horrifically underpowered and difficult to use, I did notice that
Blue: Cooling bonus (no idea what this is for, I couldn't even get it to activate
Green: Healing (not life leech I think)
Yellow: Damages Char (again, not sure how this works)
It also seems that you need to be attacking her for the yellow (and mabye even green) sparks to take effect.
Hi it's MR Whoever here, 9+ just seemed like a good number btw, the sparks only give you boosts they dont have to happen to get the kill i did this fight rather easy once i figured out about how the damage works. To light fires in a easy way lure Char to the south wall (water) then run all the way to the north east corner then start making fires on the spot this will walk you west each time you make one before char gets near run back south to the water and lure her there again, run back north and make another row of fires this should of got you an easy 12 fires and if you throw down random fires on the way back and forth you will be able to get 10-15 fires no problem. Lure her onto the water soul split get knives out and rapidly pwn her :D Donzaloog20 03:40, January 12, 2012 (UTC)
- Hi, JagZima here. You CAN damage Char without sparks, the number of fires you light determine the damage you do on a SUCCESSFUL hit. From the text above, not my own in-game observation, I think a blue spark "cooling bonus" would apply to Char's all-too-common "rage modes", though how that works out, again, I was too busy to notice. Most of the other spark bonuses would be modifiers to damage, but who knows? In any case, I noticed the few buffs I got were rather weak, to the point of not mattering at all. Considering my distaste for yet another armourless wind-sprint quest, and the crappy-short time for the fire lifetimes and rage cycles, worrying about the sparks simply isn't worth anyone's time. I would advise experimenting with different range ammo, however, as I found steel knives on rapid made me all too likely to take massive damage, especially when you're surprised by a PMS attack for 700 health. o.0 (Can you tell I hate this quest?) I plan to run a few more cheap dummy runs to test out ammo, and then kick her butt and be done with this waste of time. JAGZIMA 14:55, January 12, 2012 (UTC)
Abject Failure (but whose?) Edit
So I tried a bunch of different ammo, food, tactics, etc. but nothing has worked so far. I had my best results with the abyssal whip, but came up short by a fourth of her lifebar, while using Sara brews. Rocktails seem to work even worse. Personally I think Jagex just wants you to hammer away at it until you get lucky, spending gold the whole way. :(
- First of all, it doesn't matter what weapon you use, damage is predetermined, second of all aside from swift gloves and weight reducing equipment armour is counterproductive, third, just run and light fires, fourth, it seems to me that Jagex wanted to avoid creating a boss that you can just whip to death by creating a unique battle schematic 21:33, January 12, 2012 (UTC)
- After studying who has already succeeded at the boss fight and who has not, I've come to the conclusion that the boss fight is much harder if you just barely made the FM requirement, whereas if you have higher levels, it's that much easier. Not sure of the details just yet, but at the minimum I'm guessing your fires stay lit longer, making for more damage with less running around. If there are several more factors, such as Char stamping out fires, rage cycles, etc. then that would explain the problem even more. It's much like the fight with Vanstrom and the need to train up the Blightwood weapons by burning Vyres. How original. :/ At least in BoD, you knew what you needed to do to win. JAGZIMA 14:15, January 13, 2012 (UTC)
- I did the quest with 99 Firemaking and I think I only once managed to get 9 fires burning simultaneously. I was never able to maintain more than 5 or 6 for long enough to do significant damage. I suggest attacking her whenever you can if you have 4+ fires going, but start as many fires as you can when Char's in rage mode. MarkGyver (talk | make a merchanting table) 21:02, January 14, 2012 (UTC)
- I did it easily on my first try with 74. At times, I had 10 or 11 fires going at once. Dtm142 05:43, January 15, 2012 (UTC)
- One thing not mettioned in guide is Using "DARK BOW" HIGHLEY RECOMENED" u get two shots with this bow although it slower shotting then knifes or darts the two hits makes up for it. i wasent able to do it with knifes when i switched to the dark bow fight was easy (as with knifes doesnt matter what type arrows u use )
Difficulty controversy Edit
There appears to be a revert war going on in the article over the difficulty rating of the quest. To explain:
- In-game, the difficulty rating is Grandmaster, as can be seen in the quest list (sort by difficulty, scroll to Grandmaster).
- On the Jagex Wiki's page for the quest, the category "Master Quests" appears at the bottom of the page.
- In-gameness always trumps. That's always the final version, the Guide could have been an oversight, but they wouldn't do that in-game. Nex 03:03, January 13, 2012 (UTC)
- Q&A of the update - The second question refers to it formerly being Grandmaster, and it is possible that ingame was an oversight 13:21, January 13, 2012 (UTC)
- It was supposed to be GM, but they reduced the requirement making it less hard to complete, it's a a master quest now, i think the designers made oversigth by nto changing ingame, the quest is master, nto grandmaster. Unknown editor, 15:58 (GMT) 13-1-12
- Here is a quote from the RSOF;
“Why was this initially classed as a Grandmaster quest?”
Mod Mark: Initially we had planned this to have higher leveled requirements, but ultimately decided against it for launch.
- — Game Update FAQ - 11/01/12
- Personally, I'd call it a Master. -- 20:31, January 13, 2012 (UTC)
The Jagex Wiki isn't canon since it can be edited by the players. Game takes precedence, so at the moment it's a grandmaster quest, if this is a mistake, it might be fixed later, but until then, we have to stick by that, just like any other mistake, currently known or unknown, that might be fixed later. Even the original game guide that was fully managed by Jagex staff was often wrong. 21:38, January 13, 2012 (UTC)
- I would consider Jmod forum posts as taking precedence though. The forum Q&A clearly states that it's no longer a grand master quest 21:56, January 13, 2012 (UTC)
Another Jmod post. 15:24, January 15, 2012 (UTC)
Mod Timbo sauid on a forum thread (a player started omne) that the Grandmaster rating was incorrect:
http://services.runescape.com/m=forum/g=runescape/c=U3zlQZdoKOk/sl=0/forums.ws?15,16,597,63506326 —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) on 06:43, January 16, 2012 (UTC).
I'm guessing he meant unintended, game speaks for itself and it was in fact Grandmaster. It is listed under Master now.This controversy is now gone. The quest is now of Master difficulty in-game. 22:33, January 16, 2012 (UTC) 12:43, January 22, 2012 (UTC)
Map of the sixth room Edit
Why there's no map of the sixth room? Muhahaa 21:58, January 14, 2012 (UTC)
Why are the solutions to the fire puzzles near the end of the guide? Edit
Personally, I was getting very frustrated attempting to make the exact shapes based on the pictures in the book at first...Ended up resorting to using another guide after far too many failed attempts...Then after the last puzzle room...The exact solutions that I needed, all in a tidy format - after all of the puzzles! Sort of defeats the point to put the solutions there...Would've really saved me quite a lot of trouble in figuring out the patterns if they were in their respective sections (e.g. the image for solution of the arrow puzzle being under the heading for the cave entrance section of the article). I do believe there's probably some reason for the placement there, so I won't move it myself (I'd probably break something in the process as well, lol). - RedWingz 01:49, April 15, 2012 (UTC)
Third room Edit
I've seen the location of the rock pile being edited from South-east to North, to West, to East. Is it random, is it different per player, or do we just have some confused editors?20:25, June 1, 2012 (UTC)
Super Easy BattleEdit
Honestly, I thought the battle was easier than doing the puzzles. I used 5 summer pies and a sling on long range and had no trouble at all. If you're having doubts about doing this quest, don't. The battle is a joke. It just takes a while because you have to run constantly if you don't have 92 Prayer for Soul Split.
eoc: battling char Edit
I did the quest yesterday and since eoc came out it doesn't matter anymore the attack speed of the weapon.
It took me 2 tries to defeat char, on the first i was dual wielding rune c'bows and using silver ammo, it lasted for 60% of chars health and then while she was in anger mode she hit me for 3k+ damage and i died on the spot.
On the second try i used the crystal bow, which has more accuracy, i think it was easier to hit char with it, despite it being slower than the previous setup, i was using chained abilities to pratically ignore the attack speed.
As i see now, with char being a boss she has no specifc weakness, so maybe you can atempt to mage her too, but meeleing her is suicidal, i'm removing the meele weapons from the recomended stuff on the quest info as i doubt normal players can deal enough damage and be still alive to run away with meele.
why arn't ranged weapons effective? Edit
broken after tww Edit
char now can force you to walk even with full run, teleport right on top of you (with full rage), and seems to ignore all forms of ability attack.
melee does do damage, but her force walk make you die non-stop.