- This quest has a quick guide, found here, which briefly summarises the steps needed to complete the quest.
|Release date||28 October 2008 (Update)|
Swept Away was released at the same time as the 2008 Hallowe'en event.
|“||Maggie the travelling witch is cooking up something spectacular in her cauldron, but she needs a little help finishing it off. If you can help her out – and solve a puzzle or two along the way – she just might share some of the final product with you.||”|
|Start point|| |
Maggie the witch, north of Draynor Village, west of the Draynor lodestone.
|Length||Short (10 - 30 mins)|
|Items required||Items from the toolbelt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added. |
None, but Explorer's Ring is helpful for going to the locations indicated. Also the Lodestone Network is helpful.
|Enemies to defeat||None|
- Begin the quest by speaking to Maggie, the travelling witch. She can be found just west of the Draynor Village Lodestone.
- Maggie wants your help to finish her goulash in her cauldron, because she cannot leave her sick (skeleton) oxen, Babe and Norman, alone. She needs you to get her broomstick enchanted by her three friends: Hetty at Rimmington, Betty in Port Sarim, and Aggie in Draynor Village.
Note: While doing the quest, you will face three puzzles, one for each of her friends and they do NOT need to be in any order.
Aggie at DraynorEdit
- Speak to Aggie in Draynor Village. She informs you that in order to enchant the broomstick, she will have to do it in a special place.
- Agree to teleport to this place. Here, you will notice several geometric lines in the room, resembling a puzzle with triangles.
- In order to complete the puzzle, you have to sweep four lines and end up with four triangles. If you do this correctly, you should end up with two triangles on top, and two at the bottom.
- There are only two ways to do it, one of which can be seen in the image to the right.
Betty at Port SarimEdit
- Speak to Betty in Port Sarim. She can be found to the north of the Lodestone in a house with blueish squares on the floor. She will tell you to talk to her assistant, Lottie, in her basement.
- The goal here is to open a chest that contains Betty's magical wand, but you have to fix the menagerie of creatures before that can be done.
- Lottie will give you a magic slate that can help you to keep track of where all of the animals are at while you are moving them around.
- Keep in mind that the animals can only be moved from one cage to an adjacent cage, and that you cannot have two animals in the same room at the same time. The arrangement of these animals are the same for every player.
Creature Examine text Blackbird Bleak and beaky. Bat Most at home in a dead tree. Snail Rather quick, considering. Rat Cheese-eater. Spider Isn't eight legs rather excessive? Reptile Desert dweller.
Note that only the bat and the snail are in their proper pens. Players will have to look in the pens to see the animals.
- Put the blackbird in the holding pen.
- Put the rat in the blackbird pen.
- Put the spider in the spider pen.
- Put the lizard in the reptile pen.
- Put the rat in the rat pen.
- Put the blackbird in the blackbird pen.
- After completing the puzzle, open the chest and search it. You will obtain Betty's wand.
- Go upstairs and speak with Betty. She will enchant the broomstick for you.
Hetty in RimmingtonEdit
- Speak to Hetty in Rimmington. Instead of enchanting the broom, she says that she will make some broom ointment for you. However, she needs a newt to complete it. She will tell you to get a newt from her basement.
- Go down to the trapdoor south of her house and enter. Talk to Gus, the delivery ghoul. He explains that he mismatched the labels for the crates located in the basement, and asks you to put the correct label for each crate.
- Gus will give you 3 labels: Newt label, Toad label and Newts and toads label. You must put these labels on each of the 3 boxes correctly. The combination is different for every player.
Keep in mind that ALL of the boxes are mislabeled.
Gus will give you three labels to place when you have figured out what creature is in each crate. To figure this puzzle you must remember that every crate is labeled wrong, and since you are only allowed to choose a sample from one crate you should extract a creature from the incorrectly labeled 'Newt and Toad' mixture. If you extract a newt from the mixture crate, place a newt label on that crate. If you extract a toad from the mixture, put a toad label on that crate. After you have finished labeling the mixture crate, find the incorrectly labeled crate of either the creature you extracted from the mixture crate and put the other single creature label on it (Not the mixture one!). The final crate is obvious, you should put the toad and newt mixture label on it.
- Check the crate labelled 'Newts and Toads', as we know this label is incorrect, place the sign for the creature you extracted on this box. (If you got a Newt, add the Newt label).
- Of the remaining 2 crates, one will have the label of the creature you didn't select ('Toad' in this example), add the 'Newts and Toads' label to this.
- Add the remaining label to the last box.
You can use the table below to guide you. Use the process of elimination to get it right. After trying a combination, mark it and proceed to the next. One by one, the wrong combination will be eliminated until Gus informs you that all boxes are labelled correctly.
|LEFT BOX||MIDDLE BOX||RIGHT BOX|
|Newts & Toads||Newts||Toads|
|Toads||Newts & Toads||Newts|
|Newts||Toads||Newts & Toads|
|Newts & Toads||Toads||Newts|
|Toads||Newts||Newts & Toads|
|Newts||Newts & Toads||Toads|
- If you make a mistake, Gus will let you know and you can start over. Just keep trying the possible combinations on the table above until you get it right.
- After getting it right, take a newt out of the properly labeled newt crate.
- Go back up and talk to Hetty to get the ointment.
- Use the ointment on the broom.
You smear the broom ointment onto Maggie's broom and feel it tingle as the enchantment permeates the wood.
- Bring the enchanted broom back to Maggie. She explains that since you have enchanted it, you have the honour of stirring the Goulash in the cauldron.
- Stir the goulash in the cauldron with the broomstick. After this, talk to Maggie again, and she'll give you a bowl to drink the goulash.
Congratulations, quest complete!
- 1 or 2 Quest points, depending on whether you did Witch's Potion/Sheep Shearer or not.
- A broomstick
- 1 empty bowl
- 2 Treasure hunter keys for use in Treasure Hunter.
- 2 Hearts of Ice for use in Treasure Hunter.
- 1 Vial (gained after using broom ointment on broom).
- 10 portions of experience-giving Goulash, and a bowl to collect it with. Each one gives experience equal to the Skill level * 10. (e.g. a level 50 skill would give 500 experience, whereas a level 80 skill would give 800 experience.)
- Access to the Purple cat miniquest.
- A purple cat, after talking to Wendy and completing the miniquest. (Note: Freeplayers will eventually get a members' item, but they can still finish the miniquest as if it were a free-to-play object)
- Other witches around RuneScape give additional rewards to members who have the Broomstick in their inventory. The witches are listed below. Note that you can use temporary boosts (such as a Magic potion) to reach the Magic requirements.
NPC (All members only) Magic level Reward
Sorceress' Apprentice in Al-Kharid. Note: Must have completed Diamond in the Rough in order to talk to the Apprentice, if the quest was completed in Runescape Classic then you may need to speak with Osman first.
1+ Ability to operate the broom to fly to the Sorceress's Garden. Ali the Hag in Pollnivneach 33+ 1,997 Magic experience The Old Crone in the house east of the Slayer Tower 53+ 7,139 Magic experience Baba Yaga on Lunar Isle 73+ 10,338 Magic experience Kardia in the Underground Pass 93+ 14,979 Magic experience
Music unlocked Edit
Required for completingEdit
Completion of Swept Away is required for the following:
- On the day of the quest's release, the spoiler page said, "The spoilers are too afraid to show themselves today. Maybe they will be feeling braver tomorrow..."
- Upon the completion of this quest, one's Adventurer's Log will read: "Which witch is the greatest witch? I have an itching feeling that it may be me! I have learnt from the best and now I've gained my very own witching broom."
- Originally, this quest was only available to free players for the first two weeks of the Hallowe'en event; after 11 November only members could start the quest. On 24 June 2010 the quest became permanently available to free players.
- The broomstick won second place in the Guaranteed Hallowe'en Poll for the 2007 Hallowe'en event, where it and the Grim reaper hood were very close to the end.
- Lottie is the name of a witch's assistant in Diana Wynne Jones' book "Howl's Moving Castle".
- When you ask Aggie to leave the area, she mentions you'll be back faster than you can wiggle your nose. This is a reference to Bewitched, a T.V show where the main character cast spells by wiggling her nose.
- The starting point was originally south of Falador. But after 11 November 2008, the quest's starting point was moved to west of the Legends' Guild. When the quest became permanently available to free players, the starting point was again moved south of Draynor , near the bridge to the Wizard's Tower. With the release of Divination, it once again moved it its current location south of Draynor Manor.
- When Hetty in Rimmington says she needs you to retrieve a Newt from her basement your character replies with "A Newt?". This is more than likely reference to the movie Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail in which a similar verbal exchange is made between villagers about a witch.
- When getting teleported Aggie says "Hold on to your hat" even if you are not wearing any.
- The ox Babe may be reference to Paul Bunyan's big blue ox, Babe.
- If you gain a level from drinking the goulash, the game says that you will gain 10x experience of the new level.
- When talking to Juna, your character will say, "...And that was how I helped the witches prepare their goulash."
- After Draynor's graphical update, Aggie in Draynor received a makeover, however when teleported to do her puzzle in this quest, the old sprite was used. This has now been fixed.
The Blood Pact • Cook's Assistant • The Death of Chivalry • Death Plateau • Demon Slayer • Druidic Ritual • Ernest the Chicken • Goblin Diplomacy • Gunnar's Ground • Imp Catcher • Let Them Eat Pie • Myths of the White Lands • Pirate's Treasure • The Restless Ghost • Rune Mysteries • Shield of Arrav • Stolen Hearts • Swept Away • Vampyre Slayer • Wolf Whistle • What's Mine is Yours
|Removed or significantly changed|
Italics denote that the removed quest was later made into a miniquest.