|Release date||28 October 2008 (Update)|
|“||Maggie the travelling witch is cooking up something spectacular in her cauldron, but she needs a little help finishing it off. If you can help her out – and solve a puzzle or two along the way – she just might share some of the final product with you.||”|
|Start point|| |
Maggie the witch, north of Draynor Village, west of the Draynor lodestone.
|Length||Short (10 - 30 mins)|
|Items required||Items from the toolbelt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added. |
|Enemies to defeat||None|
The Travelling CovenEdit
To make the stew, she needs you to get her broomstick enchanted by her three witch friends: Aggie in Draynor Village, Betty in Port Sarim and Hetty in Rimmington; she would do it herself, but her sick (skeleton) ox, Babe, cannot be left alone.
Aggie in Draynor VillageEdit
While doing the quest, you will face three puzzles, one for each of her friends and they do NOT need to be in any order.
Head south to Draynor Village and speak to Aggie, in the western-most house, about enchanting the broom. She tells you that the enchantment needs to be done in a special place, infused with 'magical pizazz'.
Agree to teleport, and you'll be taken to a small clearing, with a sand pattern created at the heart of it. Aggie informs you that a specific sand symbol contains hidden power which could be harnessed into the broomstick.
The arrangement must be created by sweeping four lines to end up with four triangles. One of the two solutions is shown to the right.
Betty in Port SarimEdit
Next, speak to Betty in her magic shop located in Port Sarim, and tell her about Maggie's broom. Although she would be happy to enchant it, she requires her wand which is stored and locked up in the basement. Nevertheless, she suggests talking to her assistant, Lottie, for help in retrieving it.
Climb down into the shop basement and speak to Lottie, who tells you that the wand is secure in the nearby chest and the key to unlock it is in the form of a puzzle - you need to put the menagerie in the southern chamber back into order.
Lottie will give you a magic slate that will help you keep track of the animals' locations while you are moving them around. Keep in mind that the animals can only be moved to a cage adjacent to their current one, and that you cannot have two animals in the same cage at the same time. The bat and the snail are already placed in their proper pens.
Hetty in RimmingtonEdit
- Speak to Hetty in Rimmington. Instead of enchanting the broom, she says that she will make some broom ointment for you. However, she needs a newt to complete it. She will tell you to get a newt from her basement.
- Go down to the trapdoor south of her house and enter. Talk to Gus, the delivery ghoul. He explains that he mismatched the labels for the crates located in the basement, and asks you to put the correct label for each crate.
- Gus will give you 3 labels: Newt label, Toad label and Newts and toads label. You must put these labels on each of the 3 boxes correctly. The combination is different for every player.
Keep in mind that ALL of the boxes are mislabeled.
Gus will give you three labels to place when you have figured out what creature is in each crate. To figure this puzzle you must remember that every crate is labeled wrong, and since you are only allowed to choose a sample from one crate you should extract a creature from the incorrectly labeled 'Newt and Toad' mixture. If you extract a newt from the mixture crate, place a newt label on that crate. If you extract a toad from the mixture, put a toad label on that crate. After you have finished labeling the mixture crate, find the incorrectly labeled crate of either the creature you extracted from the mixture crate and put the other single creature label on it (Not the mixture one!). The final crate is obvious, you should put the toad and newt mixture label on it.
- Check the crate labelled 'Newts and Toads', as we know this label is incorrect, place the sign for the creature you extracted on this box. (If you got a Newt, add the Newt label).
- Of the remaining 2 crates, one will have the label of the creature you didn't select ('Toad' in this example), add the 'Newts and Toads' label to this.
- Add the remaining label to the last box.
You can use the table below to guide you. Use the process of elimination to get it right. After trying a combination, mark it and proceed to the next. One by one, the wrong combination will be eliminated until Gus informs you that all boxes are labelled correctly.
|LEFT BOX||MIDDLE BOX||RIGHT BOX|
|Newts & Toads||Newts||Toads|
|Toads||Newts & Toads||Newts|
|Newts||Toads||Newts & Toads|
|Newts & Toads||Toads||Newts|
|Toads||Newts||Newts & Toads|
|Newts||Newts & Toads||Toads|
- If you make a mistake, Gus will let you know and you can start over. Just keep trying the possible combinations on the table above until you get it right.
- After getting it right, take a newt out of the properly labeled newt crate.
- Go back up and talk to Hetty to get the ointment.
- Use the ointment on the broom.
You smear the broom ointment onto Maggie's broom and feel it tingle as the enchantment permeates the wood.
- Bring the enchanted broom back to Maggie. She explains that since you have enchanted it, you have the honour of stirring the Goulash in the cauldron.
- Stir the goulash in the cauldron with the broomstick. After this, talk to Maggie again, and she'll give you a bowl to drink the goulash.
Congratulations, quest complete!
- 1 or 2 quest points, depending on whether you did Witch's Potion/Sheep Shearer or not.
- A broomstick
- 10 portions of experience-giving goulash, and a bowl to collect it with. Each drink gives experience equal to 10 times the corresponding skill level.
- Access to the Purple cat miniquest.
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys for use in Treasure Hunter
- 2 Hearts of Ice for use in Treasure Hunter
The witches around RuneScape give additional rewards to members who have obtained the enchanted broomstick. Note that you can use temporary boosts (such as a Magic potion) to reach the Magic requirements.
NPC (All members only) Magic level required Reward Sorceress' Apprentice in Al-Kharid. 1 Ability to operate the broom to fly to the Sorceress's Garden. Ali the Hag in Pollnivneach 33 1,997 Magic experience The Old Crone in the house east of the Slayer Tower 53 7,139 Magic experience Baba Yaga on Lunar Isle 73 10,338 Magic experience Kardia in the Underground Pass 93 14,979 Magic experience
Music unlocked Edit
Required for completingEdit
Completion of Swept Away is required for the following:
- On the day of the quest's release, the spoiler page said, "The spoilers are too afraid to show themselves today. Maybe they will be feeling braver tomorrow..."
- Upon the completion of this quest, one's Adventurer's Log will read: "Which witch is the greatest witch? I have an itching feeling that it may be me! I have learnt from the best and now I've gained my very own witching broom."
- Originally, this quest was only available to free players for the first two weeks of the Hallowe'en event; after 11 November 2008, only members could start the quest. On 24 June 2010, the quest became permanently available to free players.
- The starting point was originally south of Falador, but after 11 November 2008, the quest's starting point was moved to west of the Legends' Guild. When the quest became permanently available to free players, the starting point was shifted to south of Draynor Village, near the bridge to the Wizard's Tower. With the release of Divination, it moved yet again to its current location: south of Draynor Manor.
- The broomstick won second place in the Guaranteed Hallowe'en Poll for the 2007 Hallowe'en event, where it and the Grim reaper hood fought head-to-head.
- Lottie is the name of a witch's assistant in Diana Wynne Jones' book, Howl's Moving Castle.
- When you ask Aggie to leave the area, she mentions you'll be back faster than you can wiggle your nose. This is a reference to Bewitched, a T.V show where the main character cast spells by wiggling her nose.
- When Hetty in Rimmington says she needs you to retrieve a newt from her basement, your character replies with "A Newt?". This is likely a reference to the movie Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail, in which a similar verbal exchange is held amongst villagers about a witch.
|Novice||The Blood Pact • Cook's Assistant • The Death of Chivalry • Death Plateau • Demon Slayer • Druidic Ritual • Ernest the Chicken • Goblin Diplomacy • Gunnar's Ground • Imp Catcher • Let Them Eat Pie • Myths of the White Lands • Pirate's Treasure • The Restless Ghost • Rune Mysteries • A Shadow over Ashdale • Shield of Arrav • Stolen Hearts • Swept Away • Vampyre Slayer • Wolf Whistle • What's Mine is Yours|
|Intermediate||The Knight's Sword|
|Removed or significantly changed||Learning the Ropes • Prince Ali Rescue • Romeo & Juliet • Sheep Shearer • Unstable Foundations • Witch's Potion • Doric's Quest • Rune Mysteries • Demon Slayer • Black Knights' Fortress|
|Italics denote that the removed quest was later made into a miniquest.|