Surprise Exam is a random event that was released in Game Improvements, 17 July 2007 and removed in Halloween 2012: Haunted Houses, 24 October 2012. The Mysterious Old Man teleports players into the classroom, which has its own music track, called School's Out. The reason the event is called "Surprise Exam" and the music is called "School's Out" is that the random event was released at the start of the summer holidays (based in England). When it was released, Jagex described the random event with the quote: "Just when you thought school was out...SURPRISE! It's an exam for you!"
The player must answer three questions from Mr. Mordaut, a red dragon who is the "teacher" in the "classroom" of several non-attackable monsters. Each of the questions are randomly from one of two types.
In the first type of question, players are presented with a set of three items, and they must choose a fourth item that fits in with the theme of the other three.
In the second type, fifteen random items and a clue are given to the player, and he or she must choose exactly three items that fit the clue. If players answer questions incorrectly six times, they will be teleported to a different location upon leaving the room.
After answering three questions correctly, Mr. Mordaut will tell the player to leave through one of the four doors throughout the classroom. If the player attempts to exit through a wrong door, he or she will be prompted to "ask for directions". If the player chooses the correct door, they will be teleported to the location they were at prior to receiving the event.
Players are then given a Random event gift as a reward upon returning to their location prior to the event. However, players may only possess one gift at a time; if a player already has a gift in their inventory, 500 coins are given instead.
List of creatures in the classroomEdit
- Mr. Mordaut the dragon teacher.
- The giant in the classroom is named Andre, as revealed in Postbag from the Hedge 30. This is possibly a reference to André the Giant, a professional wrestler.
- A goblin appearing to be a girl. On the right side of Andre.
- A goblin in front of the girl goblin.
- A zombie is in front of Andre.
- A mummy sits next to zombie. Her examine text: If mummy is at school, where are the kids?
- An imp walks around the table behind Mr. Mordaut. He has a Dunce cap on his head and he has been made the class clown. If you examine the "Dunce" a message will appear saying "This imp is clearly the class clown." If you examine the imp's desk, it says "No use crying over spilt ink", probably the reason why he is in the corner. The desk's examine is a play on words on the expression "No use crying over spilt milk."
Music tracks unlocked:
- The tune unlocked during this random event may be named after the Alice Cooper song of the same name.
- The doors may represent some of the RuneScape gods. Similiarly to the audience in the Mime random event. There is a Green square/rectangle door (representing Guthix), a Blue Star door (Saradomin), a Red cross door (Zamorak), and a Purple circle/oval door (Zaros).
- The icon that marks your answer in the clue-type question uses the old multi-combat sign instead of the new one.
- This is the only random event to give the Book of knowledge.
- On 28 July 2009, the Animation Pack 1 update was released. All items affected by this update appear to be their normal colour in the event, as opposed to black and white like all the other objects.
- The square from the "Green square" door is actually a rectangle, not a square.
- The blackboard in the back of the class room says "A well-used blackboard." when examined, and if you look at the blackboard you can see the game hangman on the board.
- You can see the rendering arena of Construction by standing north of the Exam Arena.
- There's a swinging rocking unicorn in the classroom. Its examine text is: "Perpetual motion at work." Perpetual motion does not exist in the real world, and neither horses in RuneScape (which is why it is a rocking unicorn).
- There's also a rat (not attackable) that runs in a wheel like a hamster. It's the class pet and its examine text is just: "Their idea of a class pet."
- One of the students, a Hill Giant, is the only one of his kind with eyes.
- The classroom scene is very similar, and likely a reference to the Monkey Island game series. The reference is to the fourth game in the series, 'Escape From Monkey Island', in which there's a particular scene where the protaginist must go through a classroom with very similar objects & object placement. Monkey Island only has two other students, and the teacher remains human. In the game, the protaginist must effectively fail the class to receive the iconic Dunce Cap (for solving another puzzle later) - which is represented in Runscape by the imp who wears a similar cap.
Bee keeper • Cap'n Arnav's Chest • Certer • Drill Demon • Evil Bob • Evil Twin • Freaky Forester • Kiss the frog • Gravedigger • Lost and Found • Maze • Mime • Pillory • Pinball • Prison Pete • Quiz Master • Sandwich lady • Surprise Exam • Big fish • Candlelight • Dr. Ford • Drunken Dwarf • Ent • Evil Chicken • Exploding rock • Jekyll and Hyde • Lost Pirate • Poison Gas • Rick Turpentine • River troll • Rock Golem • Security Guard • Shade • Strange plant • Swarm • Tangle Vine • Tree spirit • Watchman • Whirlpool • Zombie