|Main Music||Incarceration, Exam Conditions, Safety In Numbers|
|Strongest Monster||Cockroach soldier (level 83)|
|Inhabitants/Race||Cockroaches, humans and Goblins.|
Click the map to view a larger version.
|Location on World Map|
|Dwarven Mine||←||Stronghold of Player Safety||→||Varrock|
|Gunnarsgrunn (Barbarian Village)|
The Stronghold of Player Safety is a dungeon under the Misthalin Training Centre of Excellence. You can find it exactly north of Gunnarsgrunn and exactly south of Edgeville. It was launched on 11 March 2008. It is similar to the Stronghold of Security in that it teaches players about real-world issues.
|At ground level, there are two doors and a crevice. The crevice is a shortcut into the dungeon, use it well (Can only be used after you have climbed the rope from inside the dungeon at least once). The main door to the Training Centre is locked before doing the player safety exam. The second door (at the back of the building) is the Jail Entrance, which allows the player to access the jail.|
|Players who are under 13 years old must inspect all jail cell doors, then proceed upstairs and talk to Professor Henry, who will administer a short test about player safety. This will unlock the Safety First emote. After passing the test, players can go back downstairs and peel back the poster in the cell North of the South-Western cell to access the main dungeon. Players older than 13 can skip the cell doors and the safety test and immediately enter the dungeon. They will receive the Safety First emote when they search the chest at the end of the dungeon.|
|This is the dungeon where you go from the tunnel. The north-east room has stairs that go up to an another level.|
|On the north room there is a lever that, when pulled, opens a door in the dungeon. Also, in this room, there is a rope that leads to a crevice on the surface. Go back down to the previous level and you will see a jail door to the east. Go through it and you will find yourself in the room of this level:|
|Go to a small side tunnel in the middle of the map and there you will find a chest. When you open it you will receive 10,000 coins and safety gloves. If you take the time to look you will see that the gloves match the fighting boots, and that you can also get 2 lamps that will grant 500exp each, and unlock the safety first emote at the end of the last level of the Stronghold of Security.|
|This is the fourth, bottom floor of the dungeon. Several Cockroach drones, workers and 3 Cockroach Soldier occupy this area. Cockroach Soldiers are located in the North-east room divided from the rest of the Cockroaches by 2 small passages, which the cockroaches cannot pass through. In the North-West corner, there is a jail door. This door puts you almost directly across from the chest. It saves much time running through the stronghold.|
The ProcessEditThe entrance to the Stronghold of Player Safety is found at a drain at the west side of the Misthalin Training Centre of Excellence, which is the small building.
Upon entering the drain, you will see a jail, with creatures locked inside the jail cells. You must go inside the poster dungeon.
The entrance to the Stronghold of Player Safety is in the tunnel hidden under the poster on the second jail block to the left (in perspective to the ladder going up to the west wall), which is mysteriously open and does not have a prisoner inside.
In the Stronghold, there are muggers, cockroach drones, cockroach workers (at the stairs below) and cockroach soldiers (also at the level below, and near the jail door on the east end of the main level).
- Muggers: Muggers are not aggressive which may be beneficial to players because of their higher combat level and the fact that they are in a Multi-combat area. They commonly drop coins, rope and occasionally runes. They also have a 100% drop of bones which may be used to level prayer.
- Drones: The Cockroach drone is a good money maker for low level players, due to its decent drops like Limpwurt roots, Red Spiders' Eggs, Gems, Coins, and Runes as well as Herbs for members. They are also a good source of crimson charm for players who can't attack Dagannoth. If you have a fair defence level, you don't have to bother with safe spots if you are maging or ranging them.
- Workers: Can drop high priced runes (such as chaos) that can be used or sold at the Grand Exchange. Cockroach workers are good non-member monsters to train on. It is advised to be level 55 plus to kill them. They can hit 50s and 60s very often if rune armour is not worn. If ranging, there are a couple of safe spots in the bottom-most floor of the stronghold. Usual drops are coins; they can drop a good amount of runes.
- Soldiers: The minimum combat level recommended to attempt to train on a Cockroach soldier is 65. Players below that level should bring good food or a partner for assistance. Soldiers have high defence but hits infrequently and has a maximum melee hit of 104. If attacked from a distance, however, it will use a ranged attack that can hit up to 110. They are most vulnerable to earth spells. Soldiers are extremely popular on F2P worlds due their semi-valuable drops.
- All monsters in the Stronghold are non-aggressive, so it is safe for any level player to search for the 10,000 coins, 2 lamps, emote and safety gloves.
- Exam Conditions - inside Misthalin Training Centre of Excellence
- Incarceration - enter Jail entrance
- Safety in Numbers - enter Old Jail
- 10,000 coins
- Safety gloves
- Full access to Cockroaches.
- Safety first emote.
- Two experience lamps containing 500xp each.
The Stronghold was originally a massive prison that housed some of Misthalin's worst criminals, such as the gang members of Varrock or criminals operating over the Wilderness border. It was built some time in the late Fourth or early Fifth Age.
The massive prison soon fell into disuse, its guards wandering off and tunnelling creatures causing problems. For years it remained abandoned, a strain of massive cockroaches making their home in the moist tunnels.
Recently a smaller prison was built in the tunnels above the ruins, and an educational centre built above it. The old prison has been rediscovered and opened to adventurers that look to explore its ancient ruins.
- The second cell on the left is a direct reference to the 1994 movie The Shawshank Redemption. The chess set chiselled from rocks with a rock hammer and the pin-up poster of Raquel Welch are both integral to the film's storyline. In the movie, the protagonist Andy Dufresne used the tunnel he created behind his poster to access the prison's sewer outlet to escape. The poster in this case performs the same purpose, except the image is of a female gublinch.
- In another cell, a gublinch throws a ball repeatedly against the wall. This is a reference to another film about incarceration, "The Great Escape", where Steve McQueen's character does the same.
- This stronghold is guarded by Blokey Simms as mentioned in a Postbag from the Hedge, however, he does not appear in-game.
- The crevice used to just be a black square on the minimap, this has since been fixed.