The strange power was an event that occurred at about 19:48 UTC on 23 January 2010. All across Gielinor, a strange power was felt by all the players online at the time. The effects lasted for about seven seconds, featuring a red mist-like effect encircling and levitating users. When the players stopped floating, they all faced northeast (as in they faced the direction of Daemonheim). All the players who experienced it received a message saying, "You feel a strange power unleash itself upon you."
There was plenty of speculation of what the strange power was, or its true purpose. The RuneScape Forums were flooded with threads in relation of the event. In one thread, a Jagex Moderator refused to provide any hints on the nature of the event. On the Jagex Twitter channel, a Jagex Moderator posted a hint saying that all will be revealed in time. On the same day, Mod MMH posted an anagram on the official forums for players to solve. The anagram was Acolyte Until. He also said that the answer was four words long and began with an I. Players quickly discovered that the anagram unscrambled to I can't tell you.
Jagex officially stated that the strange power was a teaser for Daemonheim, stating, "The strange power that knocked players to their feet in early 2010 came from Daemonheim, or so the Fremennik believe. Their seers traced the source of the power to come from this point in the Wilderness, and they gathered dozens of warriors to explore Daemonheim's depths. Not everyone has come back, however." This does not mean the full purpose of the event has been revealed; it is possible that something remains to be discovered concerning who caused the strange power.
After the initial event, all sorts of speculation and rumours had spread. Among hundreds, only a few were confirmed to be true, which are the following:
- Mod Calm confirmed on the RuneScape Forums that the phenomenon "wasn't a glitch or a bug."
- Mod Paul M confirmed that the strange power had nothing to do with the real life earthquake in Haiti (see Gallery).
- Mod MMH posted an anagram on the official forums for players to solve. The anagram was Acolyte Until. (I cant tell you) 
- Mod Mark confirmed that 120 Dungeoneering is connected to the Strange Power. However, the connection is currently unknown. Currently, in getting 120 Dungeoneering, a player can unlock the Chronicles of Bilrach which can give some insight into what may have occurred. A future update requiring 120 Dungeoneering and relating to the Strange Power is also possible (see point below).
- A "finale" for the story of Daemonheim has been confirmed. However, like much of the detail of the finale itself, the connection to the Strange Power is not known.
- The emote after the mist was the same emote Cyrisus did when he was fully healed in Dream Mentor (see Gallery).
- Members and non-members experienced the event.
- Pets and followers were untouched in the event.
- The red mist effect lasted for about seven seconds.
- After the event, all players were placed facing the same direction from different locations, which was north-east for anyone who was on the main plane of Gielinor at the time, which points in the direction of the Wilderness Castle. (Other directions were only reported if players were in a cave or activity area.)
- RuneScape Classic players received the message too, but without any animation.
- It has also been noted that during Jhallan's sacrifice, and Lucien's death in the Ritual of the Mahjarrat, the player and other NPCs present also experienced the power, further proving that power occurs when a Mahjarrat dies.
- NPC chat dialogue (see Gallery) that was added after the strange power:
- While seers were affected by the strange power, other psychics (notably the Oracle and Gypsy Aris) gave no apparent reaction.
- After the quest Ritual of the Mahjarrat, players can talk to Ali the Wise to reveal the true source of the strange power, which seems to have been the Mahjarrat Bilrach's death.
Areas that deal with the Strange Power:
- Daemonheim was added in Runescape on 22 February as a hidden update where Hilda, one of two Fremennik guards at the entrance, mentions the Strange Power. Beyond the fence, one area resembles a camp.
- Daemonheim is north-east from most locations, the way players were facing after the strange power.
Ritual of the MahjarratEdit
When talking to Ali the Wise after the Ritual of the Mahjarrat, you have to option to ask him about the strange power. He states that when a Mahjarrat dies the strange power occurs. During the cutscenes in the quest where Lucien and Jhallan die, the humans can be seen while being affected by the strange power in the same way as the original phenomenon. When your character mentions the world wide event Ali calls it the 'Daemonheim event'. He also says that it was caused by "a Mahjarrat being in the wrong place at the wrong time", and that it was "such a waste of power". During Nadir, Moia actually infiltrates Daemonheim to find Bilrach, but whether by her own choice or not, joins Bilrach's cause. Thus, the Strange Power was caused by either the death of Bilrach, or the death of Moia. Bilrach may be a more likely candidate since Moia is only a half-Mahjarrat.
- The strange power event happened exactly 4 years after the release of Enakhra's Lament on 23 January 2006.
- Mod Chihiro has confirmed that the strange power was related to the backstory for Daemonheim.
- The red mist looks similar to the hitting animation of Miasmic Burst. It also looks like the damaging charge that occasionally occurs when one is being hunted in Fist of Guthix.
- Mod Chris L made the strange power event.
- It is believed that the strange power was connected to Bilrach reaching the bottom of Daemonheim.
- According to their examine text, reborn mages were reborn thanks to the strange power. Interestingly, the reborn mages in Daemonheim are identical in appearance to the lesser reborn mages in the Phoenix lair, which were themselves reborn through the Phoenix's power.
There are several videos on YouTube in which the event was captured.
- Strange power unleashes itself on Runescape - Smithing
- Runescape 1/23/10 [Strange Power] Jagex's Hint on a Hidden Update? MUST SEE - Kalphite Queen
- "you feel a strange power unleash itself upon you"+all runescape skillcapes at one moment - Mega Skillcape
- Strange power emote at great guard invasion 5 - Super Treeco - Great Guard Invasion
- you feel a stange power unleash itself upon you? barbarian assault - Barbarian Assault
- Stange Power Unleashes Itself ¤ Wtf just happend on runescape? Glitch? Bug? Aliens? - Pking
- Strange Power Unleashed At KBD? - Kbd Guide
- ^ User:Shadow the Past (20:16, January 23, 2010). Rs_crazy_spell_png.PNG. Image. Retrieved on 24 January 2010.
- ^ a b c Mod Mark H. "A question you Jmods expected". 24 January 2010. RuneScape Forums. *
- ^ Mod Ajd (January 24, 2010). Jagex's Twitter comment. Retrieved on 24 January 2010.
- ^ Mod Calm. "strange power?". 23 January 2010. RuneScape Forums. *
- ^ Moe Is 4210. . March 18, 2010 (UTC). RuneScape Forums. *
Attack • Agility • Constitution • Construction • Cooking • Crafting • Defence • Farming • Firemaking • Fletching • Fishing • Herblore • Hunter • Magic • Mining • Prayer • Ranged • Runecrafting • Slayer • Smithing • Strength • Summoning • Thieving • Woodcutting
Bosses • Complexity • Doors • Keys • Equipment • Floors • Journals • Level up table • Monsters • Music • Pre-release • Prestige • Puzzles • Resource dungeons • Rooms • Rewards • Strange power • Tiers • Titles • Winterface