|Release date||15 September 2008 (Update)|
|Quest item?||Summer's End|
|High Alch||42,000 coins|
|Low Alch||28,000 coins|
|Store price||Not sold|
|Exchange price||40,422 coins (info)|
|Examine||An ethereal shield.|
The Spirit shield was released on 15 September 2008 and is the reward for Summer's End. It requires 40 Defence, 55 Prayer and completion of Summer's End to wield. It can also be obtained as a drop from the Corporeal Beast, the Tormented wraith, the four level 79 Ghosts accessed by using Jennica's ring in the graveyard north of the western ruins, and Ghostly warriors. After Summer's End quest, Revenant dragons can also drop spirit shields, although the chance of it happening is rare.
A player wielding a spirit shield
|[view] • [talk]|
Monster Combat level Quantity Rarity Corporeal Beast 785 1 Uncommon Tormented wraith 129 1 Rare Ghostly warrior 42 1 Very rare
Enhanced spirit shields
There are four other enhanced versions of the shield:
They all require 75 Defence (the exception being the Blessed spirit shield which requires 70 Defence), completion of the aforementioned quest, and have Magic and Prayer requirements depending on the type of sigil attached. The Arcane and Spectral spirit shields require 70 Prayer and 65 Magic, while Divine and Elysian spirit shields require only 75 Prayer.
The shield is slightly less powerful than a Rune kiteshield in terms of slash, stab, and Ranged defence, but it surpasses even the Dragon sq shield in crush defence, has no negative attack bonuses, and adds +1 Prayer and +1 Magic defence. It is also recommended that rangers or mages use this shield as it is fairly strong and does not reduce your Ranged or Magic attack bonuses.
|Shield||Def. level||Smith. level||Magic Attack||Defence||Prayer||Notes|
|Spirit shield||40||/||0||39||41||50||1||45||1||Reward from Summer's End , requires level 55 prayer to wield.|
|Blessed spirit shield||70||/||0||53||55||73||2||52||3||Made by using a Holy elixir on Spirit shield, requiring 85 prayer or paying 1,000,000 coins to Brother Jered|
|Arcane spirit shield||75||85||20||53||55||73||2||52||3||Level 70 prayer and level 65 magic are required to wield it. Level 90 prayer is needed to attach the sigil as well as level 85 smithing.|
|Spectral spirit shield||75||85||0||53||55||73||30||52||3||Level 70 prayer and level 65 magic are required to wield it. Level 90 prayer is needed to attach the sigil as well as level 85 smithing.|
|Elysian spirit shield||75||85||0||63||65||75||2||57||3||Level 75 defence and prayer is required to wield it. Level 90 prayer is needed to attach the sigil as well as level 85 smithing.|
|Divine spirit shield||75||85||0||63||65||75||2||57||3||Level 75 defence and prayer is required to wield it. Level 90 prayer is needed to attach the sigil as well as level 85 smithing.|
- This item used to be involved in a popular scam. When the day of release came the scammer would put a blessed spirit shield then replace it with a spirit shield, because the shields both look the same but the spirit shield has much less value and the stats are worse. This scam is no longer possible after jagex updated the trade window.
- On the day of release, the spirit shields were listed in the Grand Exchange, but could not be traded and their image could only be seen in-game.
- Players used to need 35 Prayer to wield a spirit shield, although 55 Prayer is required to complete the quest.
- The Spirit shield is much like the Godsword blade. Both items can be modified with 4 different enhancers that are dropped by high level bosses. Spirit shields use sigils while godswords use hilts. Please note, however, that unlike the godsword, the spirit shield cannot be altered once a sigil is attached.
- Also unlike the Godswords, spirit shields can be wielded even if you don't attach a sigil. Godswords need a hilt to be wielded.
- The shield's market price rose to almost 400,000 coins during the first two weeks after its release, then fell all the way down to 40,000 coins.
- The Spirit shield is worn by Meranek Thanatos, the ghost that helps you slay the Spirit Beast and is actually the same shield - Meranek gives it to the player upon completion of Summer's end.
- While a player wearing a Spirit shield is hit by an opponent's attack, a unique sound is played, it is similar to the sound of getting hit when you are wielding any shield from the Elemental Workshop quests.
- This shield appears to be as translucent as the Ghostly robes when worn.
Spirit shields and sigils
|Lucky spirit shields|
Holy book (+5) (Illuminated (+8) • Book of balance (+5) (Illuminated (+8) • Unholy book (+5) (Illuminated (+8) • Ancient book (+5) (Illuminated (+8) • Book of law (+5) (Illuminated (+8) • Book of war (+5) (Illuminated (+8)
Citharede symbol(+8) • Holy symbol(+8) • Unholy symbol(+8) • Amulet of power(+1) • Amulet of glory(+3) • Salve amulet (e)(+3) • Amulet of fury(+3) • Split dragontooth necklace(+4) • Stole(+4) • Twisted bird skull necklace(+3) • Demon horn necklace(+5) • Amulet of zealots(-5)
White equipment • Crozier(+6) • Maces • Toktz-mej-tal(+5) • Silver sickle (b)(+5) • Wolfbane(+5) • Ivandis flail(+5) • Godswords(+4) • Granite mace(+4) • Saradomin sword(+2) • Zamorakian spear(+2) • Ancient staff(-1)
(+) Prayer bonus