A Spinning wheel is used to spin fibres into strings, and gives Crafting experience. Since 11 April 2012 it is possible to get a strange rock by using the spinning wheel. Spinning wheels are marked on the map by this symbol: . The following table shows what fibres can be spun into what strings using a spinning wheel:
|Fibres||String||Level Required||Cost per Experience (gp)||Members only?|
|Wool||Ball of wool||1||41.1||No|
|Black wool||Ball of black wool||1||41.1||No|
|Sinew or tree roots||Crossbow string||10||7.4||Yes|
|Magic roots||Magic string||19||238.1||Yes|
The most commonly-used spinning wheel is on the first floor of Lumbridge Castle because of its proximity to the bank one story above, as well as a nearby sheep field. However, Lumbridge is not close to any flax plants.
Some players teleport to the Lletya flax field, which is the closest flax field to a bank. After banking a large amount of flax, using the Lumbridge Home Teleport or Lumbridge Teleport spell gives access to spinning wheels. Previously, because of the many blocking objects such as gates, the wheel in Lletya was actually much more time consuming to get to from the bank, which explains why it was hardly used. Since a graphical update of the city the route is no longer blocked by anything and is a fair alternative to the Lumbridge spinning wheel.
Best spinning wheel to use Edit
There has been much dispute among crafters as to which spinning wheel is the best in RuneScape. Some say that the spinning wheel in Lumbridge is the best, some say the wheel in Neitiznot is. Here is a list of advantages and disadvantages of both wheels:
- Steps (extend the time between bank & wheel)
- Nowhere near a flax field
- Technically closest spinning wheel to bank, as there is no blockage in between (both doors of the spinning wheel's house and the bank are "jammed open")
- To get to the bank is just one click away
- The bank itself only needs one left click to gain access
- The yak field is very close, yaks drop hair used to make ropes by spinning the hair
- The only thing that blocks your path to the bank is the door, unlike the steps in Lumbridge
- It is scarcely populated, which allows there to be hardly any discussion with others
- Much better for serious crafters with large loads
- It tends to get very lonely, unless you have friends to talk to
- The closest flax fields are outside of Rellekka, and in Miscellania
In fact, neither location is better than the other. Lumbridge may be better for players who like to socialise while working; however, more serious crafters who work better by themselves would prefer the quieter Neitiznot. Both wheels spin flax at the same rate, approx. 52 seconds per inventory (28), contrary to previous belief.
Seer's Village Edit
- Flax field very close.
- Bank very close.
- While spinning you can wear the Seer's Headband to speed up spinning by 33 percent
- If using the Seer's Headband, the time saved under ideal conditions (low ping, no closed doors, etc.) makes this spinning wheel the most efficient, timewise
- Have to click on door and ladder to get to the wheel
- 3 clicks to get to and from the bank to start spinning
- Have to complete the Contact! quest for the bank
- Bank is underground
Locations of spinning wheels include:
- Barbarian Village
- Crafting Guild
- Seers' Village