|Release date||5 June 2017 (Update)|
|Examine||Contains the energy of countless trapped souls|
Soul obelisks may appear in Menaphos periodically. They can be interacted with to gain a large amount of reputation, Runecrafting and Prayer experience, at the cost of dealing some damage to the player over time. If the player does not have level 50 Prayer, double experience is gained in Runecrafting instead from the obelisks.
Soul obelisks provide 85 reputation every 4.8 seconds, equivalent to a little over 1,020 reputation per minute. This means that interacting with an obelisk for the entirety of its duration would provide 7,905 reputation.
After a teaser for the Magister, the obelisks started spawning in Menaphos and will remain in the game for the foreseeable future. It is unclear whether or not this soul obelisk is the same as the one found at Soul Wars, which was built by Oreb's pupil, Nomad.
- Multiple soul obelisks may be spawned in at any given time in multiple worlds, with one obelisk per world.
- Each soul obelisk lasts 7 minutes and 30 seconds before despawning.
- When an obelisk spawns in a world, there is a game message: A soul obelisk has spawned in the [district] district of Menaphos!
- They will not spawn for roughly 45 minutes after a game update has gone live.
- Once a soul obelisk has despawned, it takes 45 minutes or more (random) to respawn on that world.
Soul obelisks can award reputation and experience up to 236 times per day, therefore up to 20,060 reputation can be gained each day from the obelisks. The awarded experience scales with the player's Runecrafting and Prayer levels, yielding up to 86 prayer experience and 137.6 runecrafting experience per drop at level 99. At a Prayer level under 50, no prayer experience will be awarded, and instead the runecrafting experience is doubled. Attempting to interact with an obelisk after reaching the cap prompts the following message: "Your soul has been weakened too much by the soul obelisk. You cannot attempt to hold back the soul obelisks any more today." This limit is reset at 00:00 UTC each day.
|West of the entrance to Shifting Tombs in the Merchant district|
|East of the entrance to the grand library in the Imperial district|
|On the west side of the Port district|
|South-east of the mines in the Worker district|
- Players should bring food to heal when needed while interacting with the obelisk. To heal without interrupting the obelisk interaction, players can put food on their hotbar and then press the appropriate key. Expensive spices will increase the effectiveness of food. An Enhanced Excalibur will also grant life points while only taking up one inventory space.
- It is possible to interrupt the channel without moving by clicking underneath your character (similar to Tears of Guthix tactics). If this is done just after exp/reputation has been received, immediately followed by clicking the obelisk again, healing will be received a few seconds later - for returning to the realm of the living - just before the damage from the next exp/reputation gain. This can negate the majority of the damage taken if done well, potentially not even needing food for the duration of the obelisk (particularly with an Enhanced Excalibur). The lowered time spent healing (food/bank) can significantly increase the exp/reputation gained from each obelisk.
- District bank chests, unlocked at Tier 6 for each district, can be used to heal as an alternative to food. However, the Port district bank chest is too far away to be of any benefit.
- Players can right-click the entrances to Shifting Tombs in order to quickly travel between districts in Menaphos. This is useful for locating obelisks, and going to the available bank and Grand Exchange in the Merchant district.
- Beware that the damage from the Soul Obelisk does not activate a portent of restoration, phoenix necklace, or ring of life. A sign of life does get activated upon death and interrupts the channelling so that no more damage is received.
- Players who die will visit Death to reclaim their items, or respawn in the Menaphos Plaza. Players who expect to die should bank valuable items prior to going to the obelisk.
- Previously participating in a duel with another player would heal the player instantly when initiated, however since 3 July 2017 it is not possible anymore to duel while interacting with the soul obelisk. Interacting with the soul obelisk will cancel the duel.