A Portal is a form of transportation that enables players to teleport between two places. Unlike ordinary teleports, portals can only be used at a fixed location and they can be used an unlimited number of times.
- House portals take you to a player-owned house.
- Exit portals are the exit from a player-owned house.
- Portal Chambers contain up to three portals with seven possible destinations: Lumbridge, Camelot (Seers' Village), Ardougne, Kharyrll (Canifis), Falador, Varrock, and Yanille (Watchtower).
- Nyriki's portal sends players to Nyriki's location.
- Swamp lizard portal sends players to a private Swamp lizard hunting area.
- Carnivorous chinchompa portal sends players to a private Carnivorous chinchompa hunting area.
- Pawya portal sends players to a private Pawya hunting area.
- Polar kebbit portal sends players to a private Polar kebbit hunting area.
- Grenwall portal sends players to a private Grenwall hunting area.
There are three portals on the top floor of the Wizards' Guild.
- The East portal sends players to the Wizards' Tower south of Draynor Village.
- The South portal sends players to the Dark Wizards' Tower west of the Falador.
- The West portal sends players to the Sorcerer's Tower south of Seers' Village.
- The Rune Essence mine has four exit portals.
- The Abyss contains a portal to every Runecrafting altar except the Ourania Runecrafting Altar.
- The mysterious ruins are portals to the Runecrafting altars.
- There is a portal in the Wizard's Tower to the Runecrafting guild and the Runespan.
- A group gatestone portal could be found in the starting room during Dungeoneering in Daemonheim with a sufficiently high complexity level.
- Three portals in Castle Wars transport players to the waiting rooms. There are also two portals in the waiting rooms that allow for exit.
- The Vinesweeper minigame has an exit portal.
- The Pest Control minigame features four monster portals that players aim to destroy.
- The entrance to the Runespan, Runecrafting Guild and The Great Orb Project is a portal found at Wizards' Tower.
- Soul Wars has an entrance portal south of Edgeville and a matching exit portal, as well as a green portal that puts the player on the team with fewer players.
The following Random events use portals as a way of exit.
- In Recruitment Drive, portals are used to proceed through rooms.
- In Meeting History, players discover the Portal of Life and an invisible portal to travel in time.
- In Land of the Goblins and The Chosen Commander, a portal made by rigging a fairy ring teleports to and from Yu'biusk.
- Underneath Entrana, a one-way portal takes players into level 28 of the Wilderness.
- There are several portals in the quest Spirit of Summer that the player uses to switch between the ghost world and the real world.
There are other portals scattered throughout RuneScape.
- The Interdimensional portal on the top floor of Draynor Manor takes players to the plane where Killerwatts are.
- The Stronghold of Security contains four portals allowing for faster travel.
- The 2007, 2009 and 2010 Hallowe'en events use a Dark portal as an entrance to the Grim Reaper's house.
- The Spider Realm can be accessed by players with the use of a portal.
- The World Gate is the portal through which elves entered Gielinor in the first age.
- The Flames of Lloigh-enn are the pair of torches that players formerly saw on the bottom corners of the login screen.
- The Chaos Tunnels contain about 165 portals allowing players to move through the various rooms.
- In the Clan Camp, there is currently a portal being accompanied by Avalani as part of Cryptic Clue Fest III.
- A customisable portal in Port Sarim gives the player access to a Player-owned port.