|Prayer book||Ancient Curses|
|Drain rate||300 points per minute (1 point per 0.2 seconds)|
|Effect||Heals the player by 20% of the damage dealt, and lowers the enemy's prayer by 20% of the hit.|
Soul Split is a curse in the Ancient Curses prayer book which requires level 92 Prayer to use. If this curse is active when a player is in combat, the opponent will lose 10 Prayer points (in PvP) and the player will gain 20% of the damage done in life points for every hit a player makes. This curse drain effect isn't affected by the victim's protection prayers. For example, hitting a 200 on a monster or 120 on a player using the right protection prayer / deflect curse results in gaining 40 life points.
Damage done by familiars does NOT count towards Soul Split and will not restore your life points. Also, damage performed by the Ruby bolts (e) special will also not heal LP. If your hit kills the monster/player you are fighting, unlike the 20% of your hit you are supposed to heal, it will be 25% of your hit. Using a dwarf multicannon will also not heal you when it hits.
This prayer has great potential for PVP combat. If someone were to hit a 500, they would be able to heal themselves 100 LP without eating any food. The downside to this is that, unlike food, Soul Split uses Prayer points. A good strategy would be to only use this prayer when you are just above the point where you normally eat, so you would be able to heal some life points before you had to eat.
This prayer is also practical for PvM situations, such as Slayer tasks. This prayer can be utilised for easier tasks such as Dust Devils and Fire Giants, and also tasks that have more than one attack style, such as Waterfiends. It is further complemented by Saradomin Godsword and its Healing Blade special attack which restores both Life and Prayer points, up to 90% of damage dealt.
A popular way of using this curse is by flashing in combination with the Turmoil curse. To achieve this players must set both Turmoil and Soul Split as their quick Prayers. Upon fighting monsters, players may quickly flash both prayers using the quick prayer button, resulting in brief high hits that will heal the player. If done correctly, this method will drain no prayer points and can sustain a player on easier Slayer tasks without any other healing source. However, while prayer flashing with both Turmoil and Soul Split, the player does not gain the extra bonuses from the monster with Turmoil, they receive the base bonus only. This can be countered by striking once and holding the curses on until one prayer point is lost. From there, Turmoil will gain the full boost and can be flashed at full, continuously, until the target is dead.
Soul Split and Blood Barrage
The Blood Spells from the Ancient Magics spellbook heal the caster by one quarter of the total damage inflicted. This, coupled with Soul Split, leads to mass amounts of healing for the caster, while still inflicting large amounts of damage on multiple targets.
Using this logic, and in perfect circumstances, it is possible for a single player to cause 4692 lifepoints worth of damage, spread over 9 targets, and heal themself up to 2111 Lifepoints. This amount is more than double the amount of Lifepoints a player can have at 99 Constitution. This means there is great potential for a player to heal themself back to full lifepoints with a single cast.
As Blood Barrage requires a magic level of 92, many players instead choose to use a lower level spell, such as Blood Burst, which is nearly as effective as Blood Barrage, and still hits multiple targets.
- This is an enhanced version of Smite; it does not drain the opponent's prayer as much, however, as Smite drains 1 prayer point per 4 life points damage dealt as opposed to Soul Split's 1 per 5. But it does come with the healing effect, therefore is an 'enhanced' version.
- Previous to 11 January 2010, the scrollover definition of the prayer said it gave the player 1/4 of the hit and removed 1/4 of the opponents prayer. However the prayer was observed by many to heal 1/5 of the damage, not 1/4. On 11 January, the prayer's description was changed to say the correct value of 1/5, not 1/4. The Knowledge Base still states that "for every four points of damage you do to another player, they will lose 1 Prayer point".
- Soul Split can be used in the Freaky Forester random event when killing pheasants to heal the player, however the prayer's symbol will not appear overhead.
- The Zaros boss Nex uses this prayer upon reaching 1/5 of her Health, making her the first boss monster to use an overhead prayer other than a protection prayer and the first boss to use the Soul Split prayer.
- According to the Ancient hymnal, Soul Split's verbal incantation is "Advoco insaniam haereticorum in pectus meus et animam meam." (I call to my heart and soul the madness of heretics.) Two alternative translations are: "I summon the rage in my heart and soul." or "I call the madness of heretics to my heart and soul."
- There is currently a glitch on the level up screen in french world that said you can now use Rage(Wrath) instead of said that you can use Déchirement(Soul Split).
- While using Sap Spirit, a visual glitch appears if Soul Split is active that causes it to look as if you are using a Prayer Renewal potion.