|Release date||22 May 2012 (Update)|
|Voice acted?||Unknown edit|
|Developer(s)||David R (Lead), James C|
Song from the Depths is the 182nd quest released in RuneScape. It takes place around Rimmington, where the men of the village have been afflicted with a sleeping sickness and the current hero, the mysterious Raptor, is too brutal and reckless to be depended upon. It is a members only, novice level quest with no requirements and is the third fully voiced quest, after One Piercing Note and Let Them Eat Pie. The town of Rimmington received a graphical update with the quest's release.
The quest is a prelude to the Queen Black Dragon boss, which was released one week later.
|“|| The men of Rimmington have entered a deep sleep. Lucille - the wife of one of the men - has noticed that they all seem to be having the same dream. What the men call out from their slumber doesn't make much sense at all; talk of wending through woods and cricket legs.
Out of desperation Lucille has sent the Raptor to help her husband, but she fears the outcome may be a similar, if not more permanent fate.
Help Lucille save her husband from his dreams, and from the Raptor.
|Start point||Lucille in Rimmington|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Items required||Items from the toolbelt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added. |
|Enemies to defeat||None|
Begin by speaking to Lucille, whom you'll find in the house west of the Rimmington well. She will be trying to wake up some men, who are apparently muttering about the same things and cannot be woken from their sleep. One of these men is her husband, Waylan.
Offer your help and she'll accept, but also mentions that the "Raptor" came earlier to offer help. Lucille gave the Raptor a Restless Sleep potion that allows one to enter the dream world, which the Raptor readily took and drank. Lucille requests that you do the same, as the Raptor's methods of problem solving are not exactly safe and measured and she is quite afraid of him.
Lucille will now give you a Restless sleep potion. Drink it and you will enter a dreamlike, foggy state – your screen will change somewhat, but you'll still be in Rimmington. Be aware that wandering too far from the quest area will wake you up and you'll have to head back to Lucille for another potion.
Leave the house and you'll see souls of men walking away. Follow them north and then east to a cave entrance. Enter the cave.
Continue over the bridge in the cave. A Haunting Voice will begin recounting a tale to you, followed by the growl of the Raptor. After the story, continue through the cave to find an irritable Raptor, who claims that it's too late to save Waylan, and that the player cannot stop him. The Haunting Voice will call for the men to hear her story, to which the Raptor obliges and goes after her. Follow him through the door.
You'll now find yourself in a maze. The Haunting Voice will help you find your way by singing, or you can just follow the souls into the right entrance. Follow the hints to proceed: Head through the north then through the west doors. Now south, then east. If you go through the wrong way often enough, you'll find dreaming souls walking through the correct pathways.
Once you're through the maze, follow the dreaming souls through another door to a cutscene in which the souls will walk through a doorway that disappears.
Symbols on the floor
A percentage bar will be shown at the top of your screen; you must make it reach 100% for the door to open. To do this, you'll have to find two more symbols that look like the one you stepped on during the cutscene:
- You'll find one in the northeast corner of the room, two steps south of the wall feature and two steps east of the large fissure in the ground.
- The other is in the northwest, just a bit southwest of the wavy-looking part of the ground.
A doorway will form in a random corner of the room, (it's different for everyone) . Enter it and you'll have to find three more symbols:
- West of the central fissure.
- West of the northern fissure.
- Between the central and eastern fissures.
With every symbol you find, the Voice will tell you a little more of the story. Another doorway will appear in a random corner; enter it.
Note: If you log out and then you log in you will appear in Lucille's house. When you drink the Restless Sleep Potion you will appear in the part you were at.
Follow the dreaming souls through another doorway. You will enter a room through a cutscene with four elemental pots and a sapling. The haunting voice will help you – the main idea is to nurse the burning sapling back into a healthy tree:
- Take the burning sapling in the center of the room and plant it in the water pot (southwestern plant pot), dousing out the fire, then walk through the water doorway to the northeast.
- Take the sapling from the southwest pot and put it into the living fungi pot to the northwest, giving the sapling life, then walk through the living fungi doorway to the southwest.
- Now put the sapling in the ivy pot to the southeast, allow it to grow quickly, and walk through the ivy doorway to the west.
- Finally, put it into the cobweb pot to the northeast, giving it time to develop, and walk through the cobweb doorway to the east.
If you step through the incorrect doorway or placed the sapling incorrectly (or both), then you will be prompted upon entry to return to the previous room to retry the step. You can also leave the room, which will reset the progress to the most correct one to try again.
Enter the Dragon
Now go north and enter the doorway. A cutscene will ensue where the dreaming souls fall down a chasm, and the Raptor follows. Follow them and you'll be eaten by the Queen Black Dragon.
Inside, follow the chasms through several openings. Be careful not to step into the green acid since it will cause periodic damage. There are also several level 2 grotworms and flying leechs, and they are aggressive regardless of the player's combat level, but is no big threat.
Eventually you will find the Siren, imprisoned in a sac and placed under the illusion that she is still on her island where singing would not lure men to their death. Go through the interactive cutscene. The dragon that ate you has apparently tricked her into singing others' souls towards her. At first she won't believe the player who said they are in the belly of a dragon, but she sings a song of awakening in an attempt to make the player see the reality - but it instead frees the souls and herself from the illusion. She offers to help you escape if you free her. However, a cutscene shows the Raptor enter, who intends to kill the Siren. Luckily, however, talking to him allows you to dissuade him from killing her by the fact that he can't escape without her aid.
Now you will grab the coral crossbow on the floor and burst the cyst (no ammo is required), causing the dragon to vomit the three of you out. Remora, the Siren, will find her necklace, but will be promptly burned to death by the dragon. While the Raptor's shield protects you, you grab the necklace, and both you and the Raptor will teleport out to safety.
The Raptor will say that you should go tell Lucille about the events while he goes off to kill the dragon. He'll give you Remora's necklace, a Coral crossbow, and 50 Coral bolts before sending you off. Head southwest to Rimmington and report to Lucille.
Congratulations! Quest complete!
- 1 Quest Point
- 700 experience
- Coral crossbow
- 50 Coral bolts
- Remora's necklace (You can only use the teleportation spell once a day)
- Reduced incoming damage when fighting the Queen Black Dragon
- 2 spins on the Squeal of Fortune
- 30,000 experience total from the 2 Ancient Walls:
- Enter the quest cave (where souls wandered, entrance in a wall south of Rimmington mine). Swim through the acid pool (requires 50 Constitution) and go through the only door, on your east. In the next cave, go west, then south, then east, then north. Read the northern Ancient writings for 5,000 xp, then swim through the acid pool (requires 80 Constitution and will cause 50+ damage, but cannot kill you) and read the second wall for the remaining 25,000 xp.
- A remora is a fish that attaches itself to a larger fish.
- The symbols that appear early in the quest are the Dragonkin symbol, as seen near the end of While Guthix Sleeps.
- Together with the quest, 3 new songs, Getting on With Things, Long Road and Weaving, have been added near Rimmington, along with a graphical update.
- There is a glitch after you swim in acid you still hear the sound of burn for 3 or 4 times after you get out, this has not been fixed yet.
- This is the only quest where one of your official rewards is a track in your Music Player.
- There was a glitch where you would jump into the Chasm and be eaten by the Queen Black Dragon multiple times. This was fixed on 25 May 2012, two days after the release of the quest.
- On top of this, there is currently a glitch where you have to enter the room where Remora is sealed and go through that dialogue, along with the cutscene where the dragon regurgitates you several times. This has yet to be fixed.
- There have been some reports on experience counters not showing up. This can be resolved by going to the game lobby or entering the experience counter's setup menu. This has yet to be fixed.
- The monsters that live inside the Queen Black Dragon are aggressive to all players despite having a combat level of 2.
- After the quest, if you return, you will get a message that says you cannot bring a familiar inside the cave. You can go inside the cave and drop your pet without a problem. This glitch has not been fixed.
- After the quest, if one tells a story about this quest to Juna, your character will say "...so the souls of the sleeping were returned but Remora, the Siren, was killed during our escape." to which she replies "Well, at least her death will prevent the Queen from growing stronger stealing other people's souls."
- On the door of Lucille's house, there is a red cross. This is a link to the Black death, when houses infected with it had a red cross painted on the door.
- When finding the symbols in each room, if you look in the centre you will see ethereal figures acting out each part of the story.
- When following the souls along the corridors, you can hear what they are saying.