|Release date||12 April 2010 (Update)|
|Examine|| Our contact on the inside.|
|Notable features||Gives you information on any item found in the dungeon.|
The Smuggler is an NPC that plays a key role in the Dungeoneering skill. He is used to buy or sell items when fighting on any floors of Daemonheim Castle. The Smuggler resides in the depths of Daemonheim. He has inhabited Daemonheim for quite a long time and has collected various items and objects from adventurers. His stock is varied based on the difficulty level set. The higher the level, more stock is available. He is the only NPC that will buy normally untradeable items.
The Shop only offers what is able to be used at the current dungeon's Complexity. Thus, the stock is expanded along with the complexity level. While resources used to create weapons and armour include all ten tiers (free players only access the first five tiers), tools and other finished items with a tier rating are limited to the first three tiers. The exceptions to this are shortbows, longbows, rapiers, staves, and kiteshields, which are limited to the first tier. All, except for coins, gatestones, journals, bound, from the surface brought, and some puzzle room items can be sold to the shop. However, the Low Level Alchemy and High Level Alchemy spells will give 133% and 200% of the shop price respectively.
History in DaemonheimEdit
It is confirmed in the Letter from Brundt that the Smuggler was the one who saved Thok and Marmaros at the bottom of Daemonheim, whom they described as the 'White-Bearded Man' in M. and thok letter (part 10). He was asked by Brundt to guide adventurers in the Dungeons in hope that they may survive the deeper floors and put an end to the source of evil, after he was accepted into the Fremmenik tribe in return for his rescue of Thok and Marmaros. The Smuggler's motives were unknown, however. He was able to pass through the protective barriers that the Fremmenik's Seer's had created with ease, and must have been able to get to the bottom of the Dungeon as well, which would have been no small feat, as even Thok and Marmaros were exhausted, whereas the Smuggler was described as 'Looks Fremmenik but smells clean'.
The Smuggler must possess some powers, as he was able to heal Thok's wound and un-break Marmaros's arm, as well as teleport them both back to the surface. He also appears to have some knowledge of what lies at the bottom, as he warns that Marmaros and Thok would die if they saw what was really down there. It is due to this that there is some speculation that the smuggler might be Bilrach, but his helpful behavior suggests otherwise.
The sources for this information can all be found in the Letter from Brundt, and the "M. and Thok letter (part 10)" and the conversation with Marmaros and Thok after collecting all 10 of their letters.
After an update on November 13, 2012, you can talk to the smuggler to choose up to 3 presets of combinations of different binds that you want to use for the floor. This can be done by dragging items from the pool of binds that you have (the pool of binds can hold up to 10 items). Depending on your Dungeoneering level, you can set up the presets to quickly choose your binds at the start of the floor.
- After opening the door that leads to the "Boss Room," he'll offer advice on defeating the boss.
- If any player finds an item that they are unfamiliar or unsure with, they can use it on the Smuggler, and he will offer an explanation on how to use it, with some exceptions like a Blood Necklace.
- In dungeons with the lowest complexity setting, he refuses to sell any items since he claims that would be too easy.
- In an update on the 28 April 2010, he was given a full stock of herb seeds, which he sells for very low price, making Herblore a very convenient option in a dungeon now.
- In the very same update empty summoning pouches and spirit shards were removed from his store, because creating summoning pouches no longer requires them inside Daemonheim.
- When using coins on him, a humorous dialogue ensues. The Smuggler claims that they are "nothing" and will offer to remove them from the player's inventory. The character questions him and refuses.
- When using ashes, journals, bananas, magical blastboxes, arrowtips, any potatoes except baked potato (plain), an orb of oculus, power crystals, meatcorn, meatcorn rope, broken climbing hook head, climbing hook head, climbing hook, coloured vials, wooden planks, or Antique ring on him, he will say, "Never seen anything like it before. I've no idea, sorry."
- When the 2010 Christmas event was active in the starting room the smuggler threw snowballs at the player and exclaimed, "Merry Christmas!"
- The shop interface of the Smuggler is like the old shop interface in all of RuneScape. If a player wants to see what the shop interface looked like before it was updated to the current menu, they must go to Daemonheim.
Attack • Agility • Constitution • Construction • Cooking • Crafting • Defence • Farming • Firemaking • Fletching • Fishing • Herblore • Hunter • Magic • Mining • Prayer • Ranged • Runecrafting • Slayer • Smithing • Strength • Summoning • Thieving • Woodcutting
Bosses • Complexity • Doors • Keys • Equipment • Floors • Journals • Level up table • Monsters • Music • Pre-release • Prestige • Puzzles • Resource dungeons • Rooms • Rewards • Strange power • Tiers • Titles • Winterface