- For the high-level powerslaying guide, click here.
Starting OutGet tasks from the highest-level Slayer master that your Slayer level allows because the monsters they assign generally give more experience than lower-level Slayer masters.
Access to Slayer Masters
Requirements or quests for accessing different Slayer masters and areas include:
- Edgeville Dungeon - Vannaka
- Priest in Peril - Mazchna
- Smoking Kills - Sumona (Highly recommended, since it unlocks slayer points.)
- Lost City - Chaeldar
- Shilo Village - Duradel
- While Guthix Sleeps - Lapalok, Spria, and Achtryn (These slayer masters are only replacements for others, so you do not need this quest to slay with masters of these levels.)
- Barbarian Training - Kuradal
Access to Slayer Monsters
These quests give access to new Slayer monsters. These slayer monsters will only be assigned after the completion of the required quest. Note that Waterfiends can only be assigned if you have spoken to Otto.
- Horror from the Deep - Dagannoths (Dagannoths may also be killed in the Chaos Tunnels.)
- Legacy of Seergaze - Zombie hands, Skeletal hands and Mutated bloodvelds.
- Lunar Diplomacy - Suqahs
- Priest in Peril - Morytania's monsters and the Slayer Tower.
- Watchtower - Blue dragons and caged Greater demons.
- Barbarian Training - Mithril dragons and single combat Waterfiends.
- Cabin Fever - Jungle horrors and cave horrors.
- The Path of Glouphrie - Warped tortoises and warped terrorbirds.
- Ernest the Chicken - Killerwatts
- Mourning's End II - Dark beasts (Dark beasts may also be killed in Kuradal's dungeon.)
- Rum Deal - Fever Spiders
Getting to Slayer Monsters Quickly
The following transportation methods help slayers get to their tasks faster.
- Fairy Ring Teleport System - grants quick access to many high-level Slayer tasks. You can use the Fairy Rings after starting Fairytale 2 with a Lunar/Dramen staff (you won't need the staff if you have completed Fairytale part 3 ).
- Lunar Magic - used for NPC Contact, allowing you to talk to any Slayer master without traveling to them. Also used for Spellbook Swap to access non-tablet teleports like Trollheim Teleport and Ghorrock Teleport in the Ancient Magicks book. You must complete Lunar Diplomacy to use Lunar Magic. You must complete Desert Treasure for Ancient Magicks.
- Ring of slaying - can be used to teleport to several slayer locations (obtained from a slayer master for points).
- Ferocious Ring - can be used to teleport to Kuradal's Dungeon (obtained by killing monsters in Kuradal's dungeon).
- Player-owned Houses - the POH teleport can be strategically placed where there are no other handy means of teleportation. Completing Love Story can come in handy, too, as it enables you to teleport to any House Portal you like.
- Karamja gloves 3 - Reward for Karamja Tasks 3. (It allows you to teleport to Shilo Village for quickly getting a new task from Duradel)
The following weapons are suggested to use on general tasks.
- Abyssal whip - works outstandingly when combined with a defender for most tasks; a reliable one-handed weapon with good slash attack, good strength bonus, that does not degrade; good for training Attack and Defence.
- Chaotic rapier - widely recognized as the best weapon for Slayer training; can be combined with a shield or defender; it completely outclasses all other melee weapons for most tasks; it's primary stab attack is ideal for dragon tasks. The value any items dropped by slayer creatures will often easily pay the recharge fee.
- Dragon scimitar - a cheaper alternative for training Strength; one-handed slash weapon, inferior to the whip, although the whip cannot train strength specifically.
- Zamorakian spear - a fast and flexible melee weapon; stab attack for aquanite tasks and crush attack for waterfiend tasks; combine with super antifires for dragons.
- Saradomin sword - same slash attack as the abyssal whip, but is a two-handed weapon; good for training Strength; secondary crush attack for waterfiend tasks. It is slightly better than the Zamorakian Spear for Waterfiends.
- Brackish blade - a somewhat cheap weapon for 60 Attack; one-handed stab weapon (offensive stats are switched with the Dragon scimitar). It is a better weapon than the Zamorakian Spear if added with the dragon defender, on tasks in which stab is the best attack style. Dragons are a prime example.
- Dragon dagger - a decent special attack weapon for those without access to Dragon Claws.
- Korasi's sword - for the special attack that always hits between 50% and 150% of the player's max; combine with a dragon defender for same stab attack as a Zamorakian spear, although it is inferior to the Brackish Blade for stabbing purposes. The special attack is best used against enemies with very high defence, such as mithril, steel, or iron dragons.
- Enhanced excalibur - mainly used for the special attack that heals the player for 200 LP (400 LP after completion of Seers' 4) along with a temporary 10% Defence boost (100% drain). It may be replaced by simply bringing food or using Soul Split, thus saving the special attack bar for more damaging weapons such as Dragon Claws.
- Saradomin godsword - mainly used for the special attack that restores Constitution by 1/2 of the damage dealt and Prayer by 1/4 dealt (50% drain). It may be replaced by simply bringing prayer potions, food, or using Soul Split, thus saving the special attack bar for more damaging weapons such as Dragon Claws.
- Leaf-bladed sword - one-handed weapon primarily used for killing Turoths (55 Slayer required) and Kurasks (70 Slayer required); it has the stab attack of a Brackish Blade, although with much lower strength.
- Chaotic maul - has a really high crush attack and strength, making it a decent weapon against Waterfiends. The higher accuracy will affect the accuracy of the cannon, although even in the tasks where the cannon does the majority of the work, a rapier can easily compete. The value any items dropped by slayer creatures will often easily pay the recharge free.
- Goliath Gloves - The best "melee weapon" to use against Waterfiends. Combined with a dragon defender and no weapon, the goliath gloves become devastating against Waterfiends.
- Dwarf multicannon - for faster killing in multicombat areas; moderately expensive to use but usually speeds tasks and experience up considerably; faster kill rates mean time saved that could have been spent doing more slayer or making money to make up for the cost of cannonballs. Althought higher leveled players would find cannoning all possible tasks to be the most efficient route, lower leveled players or those on a budget should consider cannoning only the tasks in multicombat (Dagganoths, Hellhounds, Aberrant spectres, Mutated Bloodvelds, Suqahs, Greater Demons, and Kalphites). Keep in mind that cannoning also trains ranging. It is efficient to cannon, but it is not as efficient to range a task.
- Black mask, Slayer helmet, or Full slayer helmet - they give a 15% increase to strength and attack when slaying the assigned monsters (a full slayer helmet also gives a 15% increase to ranged and magic). A Slayer helmet incorporates all Slayer headgear effects and has the melee defence bonus of a Rune full helmet. The slayer helmet may be enchanted so that it may be charged with special attack scrolls for combat familiars to save special attack energy for the familiars.
- Prayer-boosting armour (like Proselyte armour). The Falador shields are useful for their prayer boosts and prayer restoration, although they should not be worn in combat. Proselyte tassets offer +1 more prayer than Verac's Plateskirt, although Verac's Plateskirt offers much higher defence. Higher leveled players will find that substituting prayer armor for armor such as Bandos or Tokhaar-Kal will be more efficient since once can just substitute the prayer bonus of the prayer armor with an extra prayer potion, leaving the spaces free for armor that increases damage dealt.
- Salve amulet (e) - provides a 20% boost instead. Neither stacks with the Black mask/Slayer helmet effect - only the larger boost takes effect. An amulet of fury will be better than the Salve Amulet (e).
- Amulet of fury - the general amulet of choice, with the other being Arcane Stream Necklace for tasks that use magic. It has higher strength, prayer, and defence compared to the amulet of glory.
- Tokhaar-Kal or Fire Cape - The Tokhaar-Kal is generally the best cape for slayer, with it's high attack, defence, and strength bonuses. A fire cape would be a substitute.
- Ardougne cloak 3 or Soul Wars Cape or Skill Cape - The Ardougne cloak offers decent prayer and a stab attack bonus, which is helpful with a chaotic rapier. The Soul Wars cape offers very high prayer bonus. A skill cape is an alternative to those that cannot obtain any of the capes listed so far. The trimmed variant of the cape offers a half decent prayer bonus.
- Dragon Defender - the single most useful item in the shield slot for slayer. The ridiculous +25 stab bonus will trump the dragonfire shield's +1 higher strength.
- Dragonfire shield - gives great defence bonus and +7 strength bonus. It is recommended to use for only dragon tasks if the player does not have super antifire potions. It is typically only used when defence is crucial in a task, and one cannot tank the damage alone with food, which is very rare, and never happens with higher leveled players.
- Barrow gloves or Dominion Gloves - the Barrows gloves give very decent stats, although the Dominion Tower gloves offer better stats.
- Dragon slayer gloves - gives a 10% increase to attack when slaying the assigned dragon task. This effect stacks with the Black mask or Slayer helmet's effect. It is generally only worth using if you already have a stock of them in your bank for some reason.
- Dragon boots or Glacor boots - Dragon boots give decent defence and strength bonus, although Glacor boots will be superior in every way.
- Berserker ring or Berserker ring (i) - the former gives a +4 strength bonus while the latter gives a +8 strength bonus. The berserker ring (i) would generally be the best ring to use in Slayer.
- Onyx ring (i) or Tokkul-Zo - the onyx ring (i) gives a +6 bonus to all offensive and defensive stats, except range damage, prayer, strength and summoning defence, while the Tokkul-Zo offers +4 to all offensive and defensive stats. The Tokkul-Zo is a quick teleport to a bank.
- Ferocious ring - only use if slaying creatures assigned by the Ancient Cavern Slayer master, Kuradal, when killing within her dungeon. The ring magnifies the damage done by dragon claws in particular since it has four hits.
- Any Barrows armour top and bottom - gives good melee and range defence bonus. Guthan's set is an option as it eliminates the need for food during tasks, although this often slows down a task and other healing methods would be preferable. Guthan's platebody is cheaper than Dharok's or Torag's platebody while providing the same defence bonus. Verac's Plateskirt offers the same defence of Dharok or Torag's platelegs, but with a prayer bonus.
- Bandos chestplate and Bandos tassets - gives good melee and good range defence bonus and also a little strength and prayer bonus. Unlike Barrows armour, it doesn't degrade. The strength bonus is superior to the prayer bonus of a piece of proselyte armour for higher leveled players who can easily afford both the armor and the extra prayer potions.
- Dragonhide armour - provides excellent and inexpensive magic defence, especially Royal dragonhide armour.
- Karil's set is a much more expensive option, but has slightly better magic defence than Black dragonhide armour.
- Spectral spirit shield is a very expensive but also very good shield. It has a +30 magic defence bonus. Sacred clay shield (magic) also has +30 magic defence, lower requirements and is free (as a reward from the minigame Stealing Creation). However, it degrades.
- Infinity boots has a +5 magic defence bonus. Silly jester boots give the same bonus.
- For those experienced in Dungeoneering, the Eagle-Eye Kiteshield is a good choice as it soaks up 14% of all received magic damage that would have hit for 200 life points or more and provides a +25 magic defence bonus, a bonus only 5 less than the expensive spectral spirit shield.
- Void Knight equipment may also be used as it gives only 3 less than Black dragonhide armour yet can be worn at 42 ranged.
- Ganodermic armour has excellent magic defense and absorb, and can make tasks easier, despite the high requirements and repair costs.
Before going on a Slayer task, restore health to its maximum using cheap food or other methods. Consider your task's level, its environment, how much space you need for drops, your combat levels, how much you're willing to spend on food, and what equipment you will use, to determine which food(s) to bring and how much of it. Consider if there are food sources where you will be going. Consider bringing summoning pouches and summoning potions for bunyips or familiar that can store food. A full guthan's set is highly discouraged due to the fact that you cannot use a slayer helmet. A Saradomin Godsword or Enchanted Excalibur may be used, although they may not be enough. They also use the special attack bar which could have been used for an offensive special. Some tasks drop food (sometimes uncooked). Food can often and sometimes be unnecessary if the player has prayer potions and access to Soul Split, which can heal the player. If the player is only going to be attacked by one attack style prayer potions and a protect or deflect prayer can be much faster and efficient (although this is not recommended for slaying monsters that don't hit a lot of damage, due to the much higher cost compared to most types of food).
See Calculators/Food healed for a detailed cost per lifepoint breakdown.
Other Useful Items
- Dramen staff or Lunar staff. You don't have to finish the whole Fairy Tale II quest, just do it until the middle when you are allowed to use the rings. If you finish Fairytale III - Battle at Orks Rift, you can use the Fairy Rings without needing the Dramen or Lunar staff, saving you an inventory space. It can also be useful for accessing Kuradal in the ancient cavern using the fairy ring code BJQ.
- Enchanted Gem or Ring of Slaying to check how many kills you have left in your assignment. The Ring of Slaying also provides teleport to several locations. The Relleka Slayer Caves teleport bring the player close to a fairy ring. The Sumona teleport will bring the player close to the slayer master and the smoke dungeon.
- Combat stat-boosting potions (such as a Super set). These are a must-have for slayer. The time saved from using these will easily compensate for the price of the potions. Use extremes if you can. Overloads are not efficient since it takes time to make Overloads, which actually makes the task take longer, all things considered. For some people, extreme or super defence potions are not needed, since they can tank the damage with Bandos armor alone. In that case, don't bring it.
- A fast method of teleportation. A house tab is a good idea, since it takes up one inventory space, is stackable, and can take you to your house, which may contain many teleports, an altar, and a summoning obelisk.
- Karamja gloves 3 can be useful for accessing Duradel, using the Shilo Village gem mine teleport. It also gives free entry into Brimhaven Dungeon if your planning to kill monsters there.
- Bones to Peaches is useful for monsters that drop bones, for those desperate for food.
- Energy potions and/or Super energy potions for getting around quickly.
- Summoning pouches and scrolls - Beasts of Burden to carry extra supplies or drops; Healers to reduce food consumption or eliminate the need for it altogether. Combat familiar pouches for faster experience. The highest leveled players will use a steel titan with their helmet and their inventory loaded with special attack scrolls for faster tasks even on dragon tasks, using a bonecrusher for those tasks. A unicorn would be brought if a steel titan may not.
- Holy wrench - Boosts the amount that prayer restoring potions regenerate. It is worth bringing for tasks with empty inventory spaces left over.
- Broomstick or Pollnivneach tablet - For those without a Ring of Slaying, a chipped house tablet may be used, although it required the quest Love Story to be done. A broomstick teleport along with a carpet ride is also a semi-decent way to reach Sumona or the Smoke Dungeon.
- Runes for NPC Contact - Allows the player to quickly get a new task after finishing one.
- Ferocious Ring - This is the best ring to use in Kuradal's dungeon, and allows fast teleport to Kuradal.
- Tokkul-Zo - It has semi-decent stats, as it offer +4 to all offensive stats other than strength. It's fight caves and fight kiln teleports puts the player right next to a bank, and next to a fairy ring for the fight cave teleport. This ring provides an extra 10% damage against Tzhaar monsters, making it the best ring for those tasks.
- Dwarf multicannon and Cannonballs - for faster killing in multicombat areas; moderately expensive to use but usually speeds tasks and experience up considerably; faster kill rates mean time saved that could have been spent doing more slayer or making money to make up for the cost of cannonballs. Althought higher leveled players would find cannoning all possible tasks to be the most efficient route, lower leveled players or those on a budget should consider cannoning only the tasks in multicombat (Dagganoths, Hellhounds, Aberrant spectres, Mutated Bloodvelds, Suqahs, Greater Demons, and Kalphites). Keep in mind that cannoning also trains ranging. It is efficient to cannon, but it is not as efficient to range a task.
Ranging Armour and Weapons
Please keep in mind that if you already have 99 ranged, meleeing your tasks would be much more efficient, since meleeing would lead to much faster tasks.
|Equipment Slot||Recommended Items|
Other coifs with decent ranging bonus
Other amulets with decent ranging bonus
|Cape slot||Ava's Alerter > Ava's Accumulator > Tokhaar-Kal|
(Depends on your weapon)
Other bodies with decent ranging bonus
Other chaps with decent ranging bonus
Other gloves with decent ranging bonus
Other boots with decent ranging bonus
Other rings with decent ranging bonus
Other shields with decent ranging bonus
(For monsters with strong defence) or
(For monsters with low defence)
Void vs Full Slayer Helm/Focus Sight
Void provides a 20% Ranged damage bonus (10% Boost to Range + 10% boost to Ranged Strength = 20% Damage boost), but only a 10% boost to accuracy. This means that for low defence monsters, especially when coupled with a Deflector, you should use Void + Darts. On higher defence tasks, such as Metal Dragons, you may find that the accuracy of full dragonhide/karil's/Armadyl + a Full Slayer Helm/Focus Sight to be of great importance.
Some players use their house as an advantage to quickly train slayer.
Note that there are many cases where using player-owned houses are not the most efficient method, not all of the following advantages are relevant to those who have unlocked high level teleportations.
|Rimmington||Close to Mudskipper Point for mogre, ice warrior and skeletal wyvern tasks.Can be reached easily with an Explorer´s ring (3) teleport ( cabbage port ).||Far from a Slayer master to exchange slayer points.
Fairy ring code AIQ teleports directly to Mudskipper Point.
The amulet of glory teleports to Draynor, rendering the time saved minimal.
|Taverley||Somewhat close to Trollheim for troll, spiritual mage, spiritual ranger, and spiritual warrior tasks|
Close to the Heroes Guild and Taverley Dungeon for blue dragon tasks
Close to Burthorpe Slayer master for reassignment of tasks
|The Games necklace and Home Teleport teleports closer to all these locations. (except blue dragons)|
|Pollnivneach||Close to Sumona|
Close to the Smoke Dungeon
No need for Shantay Pass
| The magic broom, Camulet and carpet rides are a somewhat slower alternative.
Ring of slaying can directly teleport to Sumona's house.
|Rellekka||Quick access to Lunar Isle for a spellbook swap|
Close to Fremennik Slayer Dungeon
Close to the Lighthouse for dagannoth tasks
|Far from a Slayer Master to exchange slayer points.
Enchanted lyre teleports close to POH portal.
Fairy rings and games necklace to barbarian outpost are equally rapid.
Close to the Brimhaven Dungeon
|Few non-slayer uses|
|Yanille||Close to blue dragons and greater demons in the Ogre Encampment.||Far from a Slayer master to exchange slayer points
Watchtower teleport is close
Using the Lodestone is a little bit more faster.
- 1,000 - Recipe for Disaster
- 1,000 - Animal Magnetism
- 2,500 - The Curse of Arrav
- 2,500 - Fur 'n' Seek
- 5,000 - Royal Trouble
- 5,000 - Wanted!
- 5,000 - Smoking Kills
- 11,000 - A Clockwork Syringe
- 20,000 - The Path of Glouphrie
- 23,000 - Back to my Roots
- 4 x 100,000 experience from Idria after the While Guthix Sleeps quest may be used for the Slayer skill if the player is Level 65 or higher.
Total: 476,000 Experience
Beast of Burden familiars increase a player's inventory size which allows for longer stays on slayer assignments by either allowing the player to bring more food and/or equipment allowing the player to pick up more looted items before having to return to the bank.
Healer familiars provide sources of health restoration. This may consist of a constant heal over time, a scroll use spell, or the capability of creating food to eat. A healer familiar will still heal a player even if that player has no Summoning points left.
Fighter type familiars make up the largest portion of familiars and can also be a Beast of Burden or a Healer familiar. The use of a familiar as a fighter for slayer task is limited as they can only be used in multi-combat areas. When using a familiar to attack slayer xp will be halfed if the familiar deals the last blow or more than half the damage.
A fourth class of familiar, skill enhancing familiars, may be selected for a specific task to receive a desired effect. Example of this would be using a Macaw familiar while on an Aberrant Spectre assignment to improve the quality of herbs dropped.
Regardless of what class of familiar is selected, some thought must be taken when selecting a familiar for a particular slayer assignment. What works for one player may not work for another. Factors for selecting a familiar are location (multi-combat versus single combat), a player's combat level, gear and method of attack for the assignment, a player's desired effect (faster kills, longer session, better drops) and what a particular familiars a player has access to. For example, it would be better to bring a Pack Yack to a Metal Dragons task if ranging due to the fact you will not get hurt as much, due to free inventory space being a luxury. Compare this to a meleer, who gets hit all the time (save halberds, which are slow and should only be used as a special attack weapon) may want to bring a Unicorn. Another example would be using a Bunyip over a Unicorn on a Waterfiend task. Waterfiends drop tons of raw food if you ever get hurt, so it would be more cost-efficient to use a Bunyip here over a Unicorn.
|Free play guides|